The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yeah there was a post in one of the Sony a7iii groups saying it was higher in the EU at the price above and the US would be getting it cheaper.

Worked out to be slightly cheaper to buy in the US and pay international shipping and tax [emoji849]

Think

There is a massive price difference with the U.S price when you also factor in Trumps China tax.

Would expect this to be with the grey market companies at around £900

Well I don't need need a macro lens anymore, found my old Raynox and it works OK on the 24-70mm so will just use that (y)

I also discovered that eye AF works on Lego Stormtroopers :ROFLMAO:

Well I don't need need a macro lens anymore, found my old Raynox and it works OK on the 24-70mm so will just use that (y)

I also discovered that eye AF works on Lego Stormtroopers :ROFLMAO:

Works on most of the Lego figures bizarre isn’t it. :ROFLMAO:

There is an absolutely staggering amount of used Sony stock around at the moment, pros reducing their gear or high-end hobbyists getting rid of non-essentials (or both)? The stock increases seemed to have hit the mid to higher tier the most, same with Fuji.

Seems unsustainable from a price perspective, MPB alone have 45 Sony a7IIIs, stock in those numbers usually only happens when a direct replacement appears, so it's quite something considering it's a camera with no obvious upgrade path at the moment. Even the classifieds here have picked up considerably in the past few weeks.

Anyone else trying to grab a shot of the supermoon?

Too much cloud here to get anything usable:mad:

There is an absolutely staggering amount of used Sony stock around at the moment, pros reducing their gear or high-end hobbyists getting rid of non-essentials (or both)? The stock increases seemed to have hit the mid to higher tier the most, same with Fuji.

Seems unsustainable from a price perspective, MPB alone have 45 Sony a7IIIs, stock in those numbers usually only happens when a direct replacement appears, so it's quite something considering it's a camera with no obvious upgrade path at the moment. Even the classifieds here have picked up considerably in the past few weeks.
MPB seem to have a ridiculous amount of stock for a number of cameras not just Sony. There was discussion on another thread as several cameras were in the 30-40 stock level. It seems crazy to me having so many. You would think their quotes would be based on the market value and their stock level ie if they already had a huge stock their quotes would be at the low end compared to if they had limited stock.

Wow!! That's like £65 grands worth of one model just sat there......! :oops: :$ Crazy.

Masked Laughingthrush. A7III & Sigma 150-600C f/6.3 ISO3200 1/500s (Shatin Park, Hong Kong)

DSC06531 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Bear in mind they also have a U.S company now too
That is true but surely they don’t transfer stock between the two? I thought theit US operation was separate to the UK operation. Looking on the US section of theI’d website site the stock levels are different (900+ DSLRs, 600+ mirrorless and 3000+ lenses). Unless they are sharing stock that’s a huge number between the two. Their turnover over kit could be very quick.

Last edited:
Looking at their US site it doesn’t list any 5D4’s but the UK site lists 28 5D4’s. Perhaps they share some but not all stock. I guess there is the issue of providing the correct chargers for the US and UK.

They won’t be sending stock between the UK and US. Silly suggestion, literally no need for them to do that, complete waste of money.

I wonder how many they got since the lockdown

It's definitely increased significantly, it wasn't that long ago I bought an a7RII and there were nowhere near that many. It's the a7III that really surprises me though, along with the Fuji X100F (they have 54 of those!) I guess they feel like the sort of cameras that are nice to have when times are good.

You'd think it would hit prices across the board but that doesn't seem to be the case just yet.

It's definitely increased significantly, it wasn't that long ago I bought an a7RII and there were nowhere near that many. It's the a7III that really surprises me though, along with the Fuji X100F (they have 54 of those!) I guess they feel like the sort of cameras that are nice to have when times are good.

You'd think it would hit prices across the board but that doesn't seem to be the case just yet.

Their quote price on the A7iii has dropped £50 in the last week.

Their quote price for everything has dropped in last couple weeks.
Would be nice if some cheap 1.4x TC's came up, I fancy one but no way I'm paying £450-500 for one :eek:

Would be nice if some cheap 1.4x TC's came up, I fancy one but no way I'm paying £450-500 for one :eek:

Yes I agree- I have the 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters added a £1000 to my camera case :(

still they are very good when twinned with either my 100-400mm GM or 200-600 G lenses

Les :)

There is a 1.5 crop button on your camera and it’s free :LOL:
You’ll still have plenty of MP’s as well
You always need more reach ;)

They had one for last week for £384. Camerworld had one for £375 (for me anyway) and I got mine from Wex for £360 which I sold here.
They go rather quickly so you need to keep an eye out.
If I managed to sell my 24GM I'd consider buying another one.

True, selling prices not so much though they must be almost at a point where they want to start being careful about buying more stock when consumers aren’t buying.

They do sometimes reduce the price if you ask nicely.

They had one for last week for £384. Camerworld had one for £375 (for me anyway) and I got mine from Wex for £360 which I sold here.
They go rather quickly so you need to keep an eye out.
If I managed to sell my 24GM I'd consider buying another one.
Still pretty pricey though aren't they? :(

True, selling prices not so much though they must be almost at a point where they want to start being careful about buying more stock when consumers aren’t buying.

Indeed, there is the best part of a million quids worth of Sony stock alone on MPB, must be some warehouse!

Yup, I had a go with MFT and a 100-400mm. I took a picture the day before too but hadn't realised it was a supermoon.

Just for fun.

I took this with my A7 and 35mm f1.4 at f2 and then stuck the MTF 400mm moon into it :D

kqH1Z84.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, I had a go with MFT and a 100-400mm. I took a picture the day before too but hadn't realised it was a supermoon.

I took a few at around midnight but it didn't appear particularly large. Very bright though and when I got up in the middle of the night it was really bright and near its peak.

I took mine about 21:10.

I'm hoping for the chance to take a moon behind something picture one day but so far I haven't had the chance.

Took one on Monday night with clear skies, but tonight and tomorrow are the ‘actual’ full moon (well 99%), and I believe it’s at it closest tonight, not that 100miles makes any difference :LOL: I think the weather’s going to foil me but you never know. Would be great if I had the 2x TC, I could get 1600mm eq with a 15mp image :eek:

Back