The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think it's a case of familiarity tbh, those used to using a control dial will prefer that, those used to using an aperture ring on the lens will prefer that. I liked the manual controls of SLRs that moved with a solid click and needed a bit of force to move them, but with the aperture rings on the modern lenses I've tried they're just too easy to move.

For me, part of the appeal of the Voigtlander lenses are how they feel for focus & the aperture clicks.

I think it's a case of familiarity tbh, those used to using a control dial will prefer that, those used to using an aperture ring on the lens will prefer that. I liked the manual controls of SLRs that moved with a solid click and needed a bit of force to move them, but with the aperture rings on the modern lenses I've tried they're just too easy to move.

Maybe there aren't too many people reading this more used to MF and aperture rings than :D but although I do like the old and new manual lenses I'm not too sure I'll use a modern AF lens with an aperture ring in the same way except when using it for zone or hyperfocal*

I'll see how it all feels once I get it and it's not impossible that I might change my mind but at the moment I'm thinking that I'll use it as I would any other Sony lens, by using the dial on the camera to change the aperture unless making a deliberate decision to use the ring on the lens.

*Actually as there's no distance scale I suppose the chances of me using the lens ring are reduced even more.

But I'll see.

In the meantime. Just a bit of fun :D

Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 used zone style, f5.6, 1/125 and set to just over 2m.

Me, her and the drying towels.

jJVohAd.jpg

I think the slight double image is due to the double glazing, maybe.

RED.

j0x1R4n.jpg

See my foot?

Last edited:
So do I ,it must be handy for something perhaps washing cameras / lenses .
Rob.

How did a image of my camera cleaner become a topic

*Actually as there's no distance scale I suppose the chances of me using the lens ring are reduced even more.
It really bugs me that you don’t get distance scales on most lenses these days, especially ‘landscape lenses’. I’d gladly pay the extra fiver or so it costs to add one.

That Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 a lot of people seemed interested in has officially launched for pre-order in the states at $1199, so would imagine it will be around £1199 here as well not £1499 as mentioned a few pages back.

Capture.JPG

It really bugs me that you don’t get distance scales on most lenses these days, especially ‘landscape lenses’. I’d gladly pay the extra fiver or so it costs to add one.

I assumed it's something to do with fly by wire lenses but the Oly 17mm f1.8 MFT lens has that wonderful manual ability with markings so it must be possible. I don't know of any other FBW lenses that have that mechanism but I would like it on more lenses.

Robin Wong says...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9psXJcBgV-4&feature=emb_title

"There have been a lot of complains about how recent camera releases are not good enough and some even claimed a camera being “dead on arrival”. The chase for camera perfection is getting out of hand and honestly, quite pointless. The camera is just a tool, and seriously, the cameras we have today are so much more powerful and capable than any other cameras released more than 10 years ago. We should shift our focus away from demanding more and more and more and truly look into ourselves and ask ourselves – why are we not happy with our own photographs? Is the camera truly to be blamed?"

Well... that's all well and good but we like buying new stuff.

Re the comments about aperture rings... apart from for video which I hadn't thought of peoples thoughts seem to be how I'm mostly feeling, that they look nice and are something we think we'll like but in use maybe not so much so.

I can see myself using them for zone and hyperfocal maybe.

Personally prefer to have them. The Sony one are fairly tight and I've not accidentally moved them. In fact with the click option on I can't see how anyone would knock it accidentally and not know about it.

Some of the fuji lenses they are too loose and that can happen.

With manual lenses knocking the aperture ring isn't something I worry about as I don't remember it happening but changing the aperture probably involves changing left hand position whereas changing the aperture with your index finger or thumb may not.

I'll soon know which I prefer.

Not seen any interesting birds in my garden of late

We haven't had a robin yet. All we get are blackbirds, starlings and magpies and of course pigeons.

We have had seagulls landing to eat if only briefly and that's something I don't remember ever seeing before.

We haven't had a robin yet. All we get are blackbirds, starlings and magpies and of course pigeons.

We have had seagulls landing to eat if only briefly and that's something I don't remember ever seeing before.

Very much what we see too apart from seagulls

Fo you have any feeders up?

We get those too, along with chaffinches, bullfinches, great tits, coal tits, the occasional long tailed toy, and of course those in the photos. We’re very lucky (y)

U.k pre-order for the Tamron is £1349, bit ridiculous that to be honest, would expect that to fall quite rapidly considering the U.S price.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/tamron-70-180mm-f2-8-di-iii-vxd-lens-sony-e-fit-1738710/

View attachment 274425

Yeah there was a post in one of the Sony a7iii groups saying it was higher in the EU at the price above and the US would be getting it cheaper.

Worked out to be slightly cheaper to buy in the US and pay international shipping and tax [emoji849]

Think

Yeah sadly we don’t have a lot of trees as it’s a new build, only seem to get fat pigeons and sea gulls once a day eating worms and sh*ting everywhere.

We call pigeons pork pies as they are fat and greedy pigs out here

Mmm don't worry about that, get that long telephone lens order chap... feed the GAS :p
A telephone lens? That sounds interesting ;) :p

Back