The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
Hong Kong Airport (a little quiet)
DSC00891 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Hong Kong Airport Smoking/Vaping area
DSC00887 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

West Kowloon Cultural District
DSC00816 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Tsim Sha Tsui Art Square
DSC00747-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Sunset from Ocean Terminal Deck
DSC00686 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Masked Laughingthrush (fluffed up)
DSC00623 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Causeway Bay
DSC00317 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

A misty HK Island from West Kowloon Cultural District
DSC00845 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Wow ! Fantastic set of photos !

Really like the compositions !

really tempted to buy the sigma 35mm f1.2 ART.
Used one from cardiff camera centre on for £1100 with 10% discount code on ebay.

Voigtlander lenses...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/jus...w-se-versions-of-the-40mm-and-50mm-fe-lenses/

I think I like the scalloped focus ring design of the existing lenses better and I don't think I'm interested in these new lenses but I might take a look at them depending on how good the reviews are. I can't see myself replacing any of my lenses with any of these at the moment.

And what can that third ring be for? One for the aperture, one for focus and the third for...????

The airport photo reminds me of my experience at Hong Hong airport. Back in 2005 I was on a flight back from Australia and I had a 2 hour stop at Hong Kong. We all had to leave the plane with our hand luggage whilst it was refuelled. I’d (stupidly) picked up a didgeridoo as a present air side at Sydney airport and at the time thought nothing of it. Several hours later I was standing in line to reboard the plane in Hong Kong when two armed police officers approach me. I realise at first but it seems they thought I could hijack the plane with it as they classed as an offensive weapon. Thankfully one of the air stewardess’ defused the situation as none of us except her spoke the same languages. The stewardess was nice as she took the didgeridoo on board and gave it back to me when we reached Heathrow. If she hadn’t I think I would have had a longer stop over than planned and probably ended up as a story in the Sun! Moral of the story is don’t ever buy a didgeridoo air side in Australia! If I ever fly now I make sure any photography equipment that could be classed as potential weapons like tripods etc always goes in the hold.

Last edited:
Voigtlander lenses...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/jus...w-se-versions-of-the-40mm-and-50mm-fe-lenses/

I think I like the scalloped focus ring design of the existing lenses better and I don't think I'm interested in these new lenses but I might take a look at them depending on how good the reviews are. I can't see myself replacing any of my lenses with any of these at the moment.

And what can that third ring be for? One for the aperture, one for focus and the third for...????

It looks like the two rear rings might be both for focus it's just how it's designed with a gap between them. Might be a small weight saving but I don't think they look any better. And I prefer the look of the M mounts anyway....

It looks like the two rear rings might be both for focus it's just how it's designed with a gap between them. Might be a small weight saving but I don't think they look any better. And I prefer the look of the M mounts anyway....

Yup. I think the extra ring is just styling.

It could make sense for me to swap my 40mm f1.2 for a 50mm f1.2 and I suppose the 35mm f1.2 could replace my 35mm f1.4 but the f1.4 is tiny and light and makes a compact camera and lens combination. I can't see the 50mm f1.2 replacing my 50mm f2 as the f2 is just fantastic and all I've read about the f1.2 tells me it's very like the 40mm.

I'll probably read everything I can about them and stop at that. I do think the scalloped ones look better than these and may feel better in use.

Who knows...

It will be cheap..

It will have nice optics..

It will have poor a.f reliability...

64% of them will be decentered...
You really don't like them do you :LOL:

I've had a 75% success rate so far :p

I suppose if you aren't too stressed by getting a duffer and retuning it these lenses could make a lot of sense, especially if you get a good one at the first attempt! :D They're small and light and at a reasonable price and that's all good but I do wonder if there's a longer term question mark over reliability and longevity.

I actually really liked some of the manual focus lenses.

Just found all the a.f lenses to not be very good at a.f. Huge amount of them are decentered as well so quality control isn’t great.

The gear that changed my photography life, dpr...

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7...changed-my-photographic-life-reader-responses

The big one for me was getting my Kodak Instamatic when I was 10. I suppose the next big thing was my first SLR then my first DSLR. I don't think I'd have continued with the larger cameras but thankfully mirrorless came along. I can see myself going back to a something smaller and simpler in the future.

Well I've owned

24mmf2.8 - fine no issues but not as sharp as
2 x 35mm f2.8 - both really nice and sharp, love the colour and rendering of the lens
18mm f2.8 - lovely lens and the reason why I bought into the FE system - its vital that I can have a lightweight wide angle lens as I am a lazy git and hate carrying heavy lenses. No issues with it at all - lovely and sharp.

So 4 lenses that have all been good - maybe I've been lucky ?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by it. I have never had 75mm prime.

they seem to be making "odd" focal lengths now which you only mostly got in film era or lenses from that age.

Last edited:
The advantages I can see are that it'll be smaller and lighter than a 85mm f1.8 and I'd guess cheaper.

The advantages I can see are that it'll be smaller and lighter than a 85mm f1.8 and I'd guess cheaper.

Yep my FE85/1.8 will be going on sale soon!

the sad part is it has a 58mm filter thread and the FE35/1.8 has 55mm. Wish they both had the same.

Last edited:
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by it. I have never had 75mm prime.

they seem to be making "odd" focal lengths now which you only mostly got in film era or lenses from that age.

It's a bit like the Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 - is suspect they are taking advantage of being able to make lenses which are smaller and lighter by dropping the focal length a touch, which when coupled with the higher resolution FF sensors such as the A7Riii/iv makes a lot of sense.

It's a bit like the Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 - is suspect they are taking advantage of being able to make lenses which are smaller and lighter by dropping the focal length a touch, which when coupled with the higher resolution FF sensors such as the A7Riii/iv makes a lot of sense.

Tbh I understand the tamron 70-180mm. They are trying to make a system out of their lenses. All have similar handling, 67mmm filter thread etc. You can buy 17-28,28-75,70-180 and use the same filters all the way across. Attach those magnetic filter thingies and makes using filters even easier! makes for a great landscape setup.

Samyang is a bit all over the place.

Yep my FE85/1.8 will be going on sale soon!

the sad part is it has a 58mm filter thread and the FE35/1.8 has 55mm. Wish they both had the same.

It's a mess on but step up rings are cheap. I have a bag full and recently missed having a 49-67mm so I'll be buying one.

Looks like its slightly smaller and lighter and than the FE35/1.8. Now its really got my attention!

I wasn’t too far wrong.

Thought it might be something odd.

Not sure how that will compare with 85mm lenses as the shorter focal length will affect compression.

75 is nice on medium format but on full frame, who knows.

I have some idea of how it look from the days of owning the tamron 28-75mm.

FE85 for all its issue is still a rather sharp lens. For me it will have be on similar level at least centre and mid-frame wide open.
Then there is exchanging a few 100s of them till I find a good copy :p

Looks like its slightly smaller and lighter and than the FE35/1.8. Now its really got my attention!

Seen someone mention it’s the same size as the 55.

I guess for someone on a budget or for someone wanting a light weight set 18,45 & 75 wouldn’t be too bad if you can deal with the usual Samyang issues.

75 might make for an interesting portrait lens on APSC.

Last edited:
Seen someone mention it’s the same size as the 55.

I guess for someone on a budget or for someone wanting a light weight set 18,45 & 75 wouldn’t be too bad if you can deal with the usual Samyang issues.

75 might make for an interesting portrait lens on APSC.

It share filter thread with 18mm which is nice.

samyang 75 - 69mm length, 65mm diameter, 230g
FE55 - 70.5mm length, 64.4 diameter, 281g

So yeah pretty similar give or take

Hong Kong Airport Smoking/Vaping area
DSC00887 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

West Kowloon Cultural District
DSC00816 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Tsim Sha Tsui Art Square
DSC00747-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Sunset from Ocean Terminal Deck
DSC00686 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Masked Laughingthrush (fluffed up)
DSC00623 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Causeway Bay
DSC00317 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

A misty HK Island from West Kowloon Cultural District
DSC00845 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr
Fantastic set !!!

Tbh I understand the tamron 70-180mm. They are trying to make a system out of their lenses. All have similar handling, 67mmm filter thread etc. You can buy 17-28,28-75,70-180 and use the same filters all the way across. Attach those magnetic filter thingies and makes using filters even easier! makes for a great landscape setup.

Samyang is a bit all over the place.

I actually prefer the Samyang approach - make the lens as small as possible and don't worry about filter size.

I suspect the Tamron 20,24,35 mm 2.8 primes are bigger than they need be take a 67mm filter ?

I actually prefer the Samyang approach - make the lens as small as possible and don't worry about filter size.

I suspect the Tamron 20,24,35 mm 2.8 primes are bigger than they need be take a 67mm filter ?

yes true. I don't think those three lenses did particularly well tbh. They'd have been better off releasing small f1.8-2 primes without close focussing.

The zooms seems have done rather well and I suspect 70-180mm will too.

Samyangs do have good optics, but QC makes it an annoyance sometimes. The AF isn't as big a problem as it used to be.

I used to use my Sony 50 f1.4 on crop quite a bit = 75mm. It's quite a nice length (and the rendering of the 50 is also very pleasing).

I'll give this a miss, since I have the 85 f1.4, but coming to the conclusion I actually prefer the picture I take with primes vs zooms, except when travelling.

Back