The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I am also very tempted by this. Might put my FE85/1.8 for sale.
Interesting. I really like my 85mm f1.8 so don’t think I’ll be swapping it for the Sammy anytime soon.

Interesting. I really like my 85mm f1.8 so don’t think I’ll be swapping it for the Sammy anytime soon.

100% agree, there's no way I would swap my Sony 85 for that.

I am also very tempted by this. Might put my FE85/1.8 for sale.

I might do the same but will probably just swap it out when the shops re-open, I don't really need two 85mm lenses so swapping out the FE85 is no issue really while I still have the 85GM.

There's an Olympus Zuiko 40mm f2 here for £539.

https://www.ffordes.com/p/SOR-18-024356/olympus-om/40mm-f2-zuiko

This guy may be partly responsible for the lens going from being a flop to a big high price hit.

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/lenses/

Interesting, thanks for the links; during the years I used the OM system this "natural view/reporters lens" was the one lens I really wanted to try and would have bought, yet never once saw it advertised for sale second hand.

Interesting, thanks for the links; during the years I used the OM system this "natural view/reporters lens" was the one lens I really wanted to try and would have bought, yet never once saw it advertised for sale second hand.

Maybe you never saw one because there were so few made?

I'd happily buy one just to give it a try but when the 50mm f1.8 is so cheap paying into the mid hundreds seems a bit much. Actually you could easily buy the 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8's and the 50mm f1.8 for a lot less than one 40mm f2. That puts it in perspective for me.

It's interesting that the equivalent Rokkor is also astronomically priced these days.

I wonder what other 40mm lenses are available but at a more reasonable price?

I'll do some googling later :D

Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 and f2 are possibly both available new less than that Zuiko at Ffordes. There seem to be a few f2.8 lenses about too.

Last edited:
Probably yes, as the bloke says, only 3000 ever made... I had the 50mm f1.4 and 50 1.2 and 35mm shift and 35mm f2.8? Of those I generally used the 50 1.2

Took the 100-400mm out when walking the dog this morning and was surprised that there was some lens creep, even with the zoom ring on "tight" setting, is this normal? It's not horrendous, maybe crept about 1/4 or so of the zoom before I'd put it back and then it would do the same, but I'm surprised there's any creep on a lens costing over £2k.

Took the 100-400mm out when walking the dog this morning and was surprised that there was some lens creep, even with the zoom ring on "tight" setting, is this normal? It's not horrendous, maybe crept about 1/4 or so of the zoom before I'd put it back and then it would do the same, but I'm surprised there's any creep on a lens costing over £2k.

Mine didn't have any zoom creep when set to tight from what I remember.

Mine didn't have any zoom creep when set to tight from what I remember.
Were you using a sling strap? Mine's on a peak design slide with on attachment on left camera lug and the other on the tripod plate so the lens hangs straight down, was yours the same/similar?

Were you using a sling strap? Mine's on a peak design slide with on attachment on left camera lug and the other on the tripod plate so the lens hangs straight down, was yours the same/similar?
Similar yes. I have got the original first version of the slide.
Tbh I didn't keep mine very long as I got the 200-600mm
I sold mine to @robinsslee so perhaps he can comment if it's still as tight or if it's loosened up a little

Last edited:
What glass screen protectors do people use from Amazon? I don't want to go off customer reviews as the ones I ordered for the misses phone had great reviews but were crap. They put a slip of paper in the package to give gift vouchers if you left 5 star review!!

So I have been through 2 copies of samyang 18mm f2.8 and 2 copies of sigma 14-24mm, all decentered.
What should I try next? lol

I'd like f2.8 or faster ideally otherwise would have got Sony 12-24mm.

May be I should just give up on UWA lenses.

So I have been through 2 copies of samyang 18mm f2.8 and 2 copies of sigma 14-24mm, all decentered.

Not as wide but I can’t really fault my Tamron 17-28 f/2.8.

I hear/read it isn't great at 28mm.
Reason for going with sigma was it was supposedly good throughout focal ranges.

I can’t say I have noticed that, the only times I can think of that I have used it at 28mm is for the dancing at weddings and it seemed fine to me although to be fair I would be using smaller apertures for that.

But that doesn’t even have 28mm ;)

Could crop a little and it'll probably be better ;)

But that's not the point. I don't like buying lenses with the idea of having to avoid certain apertures or focal lengths or both (barring for diffraction of course)

Last edited:

Get the Sony 20mm.

The view out the back door. I just picked the camera with Voigtlander 35mm up and silly me took no notice of the setting so this ended up at f1.4.

U7Wpavt.jpg

A more sensible f5.6. She's explaining something here. To you single guys, this is something wives do.

vpjNjJH.jpg

She's very conscientious with the plants :D

The lawns need cutting but I'll leave it a couple more days as I'm enjoying the dandelions and daises :D

Back