The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have been through two sigma 14-24mm now, both decentered :(
opening an ebay case to return second one.

Just read in another thread that the Lyrid meteors may be visible in the NE tonight. I'll probably have a look.

I think anyone with any amount of Sony kit could wait just a while and see if Sony release anything in response. To me the Canons make the most sense to people with a lit of money in existing Canon kit.

worst part is second one is worst than the first. May be I should have just kept the first copy :(
Wasn't expecting this from Sigma tbh!
Sigh.... may be I should go with the original plan and just buy the Sony 20mm f1.8.

Last edited:
worst part is second one is worst than the first. May be I should have just kept the first copy :(
Sigh.... may be I should go with the original plan and just buy the Sony 20mm f1.8.

I almost bought one instead of my 17-28...the ability to use filters stopped me.

Maybe I should have splashed out a bit more on a used Sony 35mm 2.8 instead but will see how the pics look!

Keep going. You spend that much money I wouldn’t accept a decentered lens. You wouldn’t accept a car with a dodgy 5th gear.

Keep going. You spend that much money I wouldn’t accept a decentered lens. You wouldn’t accept a car with a dodgy 5th gear.
True and also if same model a car is giving me problems I'd avoid it ;)
The sigma has some rave reviews which is why I bought it but I seem to have bad luck with it. Think I will be looking at something else now tbh.

It's a very nice lens but it doesn't zoom.

You could crop to get a 28mm fov but cropping wont get you a 14mm fov. Stitching might get you what you want but it's not always an option.

Just read in another thread that the Lyrid meteors may be visible in the NE tonight. I'll probably have a look.
Cool, what time’s best to see it?
Nope, I'd love it for the video though. But I'm not in far enough to put that amount of cash into it. I'm still in love with the Sonys to be honest. More camera than I'll ever need.
I think that’s true of most cameras today.

The R5 certainly looks great at face value but I’ve been put off reading articles about it as it’s yet another “game changer” :rolleyes:

When canon bring out a 60mp + body and a number or reasonably priced native lenses I might start paying some interest, but until then I’m more than happy with my A7RIV (y)

People who shoot video will buy it for sure, Dual Pixel AF is widely accepted as market leader in video, now that they got over the full sensor video stuff instead of gimping the camera with crop, it will sell, especially the glass is there too. SD UHS-II in the back up (HA!), CF-Express? in the first, so the dual card slots, good colours. It looks to be a formidable camera.

People who shoot video will buy it for sure, Dual Pixel AF is widely accepted as market leader in video, now that they got over the full sensor video stuff instead of gimping the camera with crop, it will sell, especially the glass is there too. SD UHS-II in the back up (HA!), CF-Express? in the first, so the dual card slots, good colours. It looks to be a formidable camera.
It certainly does. It will be interesting to see how Nikon and Sony respond.

I spent a good half hour out and didn't see a single one so I just had a practice with the camera, lens and tripod. If things ever get back to normal I'd like a go at this at the seaside and it'd be lovely to do it from the top of the hill. No shooting stars for me but one nice thing is seeing the sky full of stars that aren't visible by eye.

There's banding in these that isn't visible on the pictures on my pc.

Bx7ujzl.jpg

YU8ClDg.jpg

afY0aBJ.jpg

Did anyone photograph any shooting stars?

Tonight half an hour or so getting cold in the garden and one day/night the northern lights or even the milky way :D

Last edited:
I spent a good half hour out and didn't see a single one so I just had a practice with the camera, lens and tripod. If things ever get back to normal I'd like a go at this at the seaside and it'd be lovely to do it from the top of the hill. No shooting stars for me but one nice thing is seeing the sky full of stars that aren't visible by eye.

There's banding in these that isn't visible on the pictures on my pc.

Bx7ujzl.jpg

YU8ClDg.jpg

afY0aBJ.jpg

Did anyone photograph any shooting stars?

Tonight half an hour or so getting cold in the garden and one day/night the northern lights or even the milky way :D

My boy attempted start trails from his house a few nights ago and not bad considering he's about 3 miles from Bristol City centre!

I've not tried. I don't have a remote yet and my garden is more enclosed than his. I have to do something though.... I can't be outdone by a 14 year old lmao

My boy attempted start trails from his house a few nights ago and not bad considering he's about 3 miles from Bristol City centre!

I've not tried. I don't have a remote yet and my garden is more enclosed than his. I have to do something though.... I can't be outdone by a 14 year old lmao

There's a very large chemical plant to our east with lots of light pollution so I'm happy to get any stars in any picture. With being tied to the house so much especially at night there isn't much scope for this sort of thing apart from the back garden but in the winter when it's dark at 16:30 I may be able to arrange cover at home and get to the seaside or into the hills for a couple of hours in the early evening and hopefully get something interesting in the foreground with a nice starry sky.

There's an Olympus Zuiko 40mm f2 here for £539.

https://www.ffordes.com/p/SOR-18-024356/olympus-om/40mm-f2-zuiko

This guy may be partly responsible for the lens going from being a flop to a big high price hit.

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/lenses/

I'd buy one or the Rokkor 40mm f2 but the prices are so high and the Zuiko 50mm 1.8 and Rokkor f1.7 can still be found at a fraction of the price.

It's interesting how a piece of kit can catch the imagination though.

I do have the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and Rokkor 45mm f2.

No I think A7s line is dead.

So do I, Sony has never went all out with the A7/A9 range for video shooters.

The A7S camera's were never supposed to be video cameras they were aimed at users that wanted them for extremely low light situations, it was just a happy coincidence that that suited the video guys needs as well which is why they became so popular, that and they were a good for hybrid shooters.

With all of the current cameras being pretty good in low light there is no need for an A7SIII for stills and I think Sony would rather push pro video users down the route of their high end e-mount video cameras.

Maybe an A74 instead?

Back