The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

complete joke. not a single lens from recent time in fact they are missing reviews on a good majority of lenses inc. 3rd party ones.

It's nothing to get too upset about, it's a few minutes entertainment :D

If you want factual serious stuff do what I do... Head on over to Ken Rockwell.

It's nothing to get too upset about, it's a few minutes entertainment :D

If you want factual serious stuff do what I do... Head on over to Ken Rockwell.

haha somebody on another thread (can't remember which one) pointed towards this:
https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/nikon-vs-canon-vs-sony-full-frame.htm

have fun lol :D

"Even with the best overall finder, high-speed AF and frame rate technology, Sony needs to step up its game to stay in the game it invented."
I especially love the fully factual conclusion, sony must be really struggling to sell their bodies.

Last edited:
My picture taking is limited to home these days.

Up and on the bike, A7 and Voigtlander 50mm f2 at f2.

uo20Iu6.jpg

We've got some buds in the garden so in a while I'll be able to sit in the garden with my macro lens :D

One last one, A7 and 35mm f1.8 at f2.8.

PtOTvO1.jpg

Last edited:
I think we're getting to the stage of 'sharp enough' mostly.

My favourite photos of the a7 era have been taken with 24-240mm, coincidentally the ones that have been printed the biggest and hang on our walls.

There are very few areas of photography that actually demand critical sharpness to the degree being tested (i.e. they are useless/worthless without it), yet it seems to take up a staggering amount of time/energy/press everywhere.

Last edited:
My favourite photos of the a7 era have been taken with 24-240mm, coincidentally the ones that have been printed the biggest and hang on our walls.

There are very few areas of photography that actually demand critical sharpness to the degree being tested (i.e. they are useless/worthless without it), yet it seems to take up a staggering amount of time/energy/press everywhere.

Yup.

Every one of my lenses is sharp enough anywhere you'd want to put a main subject. The only question marks over sharpness appear towards the corners. There are other issues such as how some of the older wide aperture lenses render, CA and vignetting etc but apart from the corners with some lenses sharpness isn't a worry and even when it is the chances are that it won't be noticeable in a whole picture.

haha somebody on another thread (can't remember which one) pointed towards this:
https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/nikon-vs-canon-vs-sony-full-frame.htm

have fun lol :D

"Even with the best overall finder, high-speed AF and frame rate technology, Sony needs to step up its game to stay in the game it invented."
I especially love the fully factual conclusion, sony must be really struggling to sell their bodies.
Should I be moving to Canon?
Looks like they're streets ahead....:p

He's previously said that Sony make toys and Canon and Nikon make pro kit.

Talk like this isn't his worse sin, imo his use of the saturation and vibrancy sliders are a crime against humanity. So much so that he must max them out and run pictures through them twice.

Anyone think that Ken tries to be controversial so that it drives traffic to his website? What better way than say one camera brand is better than another or one is rubbish. I bet a post like that gets many more views than an informative useful post. Far too many photographers are ‘tribal’ in there use or support of a particular camera brand. He knows that and plays on it to make a living. Fair play to him as it seems to work , after all you’re all talking about him!

Talk like this isn't his worse sin, imo his use of the saturation and vibrancy sliders are a crime against humanity. So much so that he must max them out and run pictures through them twice.
The only time I have seen the world in the colours he portrays was 50 years ago when as a student someone erm gave me some erm stuff.....

Anyone think that Ken tries to be controversial so that it drives traffic to his website? What better way than say one camera brand is better than another or one is rubbish. I bet a post like that gets many more views than an informative useful post. Far too many photographers are ‘tribal’ in there use or support of a particular camera brand. He knows that and plays on it to make a living. Fair play to him as it seems to work , after all you’re all talking about him!

He does seem a little Jekyll and Hyde, apparently giving good advise and facts and figures in one article and then going off on one in another. Or maybe that's just my interpretation of what he does. If he makes a living at this then good luck to him, as long as people who don't know better aren't too adversely affected by him.

To be fair he only shoots jpeg so the colours are done in camera.

He just changes the settings to make them all so garish.

Do I actually own them? what kind of question is that? I wouldn’t be posting my problems otherwise
Have you clicked the YouTube link above? Even searched google? There is a high percentage of people with these issues. There was a poll on a Facebook group a few months back, 75% of people who replied had the same issues. I have passed on a lot of posts and info which are currently being investigated by technicians at Sony Europe which I chased up yesterday, hopefully we’ll have an update soon.

A fair question I thought- we do get lots of people on the forum spouting off about equipment they don't even own -No offence was meant :)

I don't do FAKE BOOOK and I personally have never had any issues with my a7Riv or a7Riii and the Sony 200-600mm

Les

A fair question I thought- we do get lots of people on the forum spouting off about equipment they don't even own -No offence was meant :)

I don't do FAKE BOOOK and I personally have never had any issues with my a7Riv or a7Riii and the Sony 200-600mm

Les

That we do, there is also some who like "spouting off" about equipment they have never held, used or seen anywhere else accept on a YouTube video. :ROFLMAO:

That we do, there is also some who like "spouting off" about equipment they have never held, used or seen anywhere else accept on a YouTube video. :ROFLMAO:

That's forums for you - Keyboard warriors :sony: and thanks again for the Battery Grip for my a7Riii Tommy works a treat :)

Hope you have a good day tomorrow snerkler! Your birthday isn't it?

I had a day from hell on mine (19th) but it was slightly better than the day before. Having a good day so far today though :D

Here's hoping you have a good day! :beer:

Les
Not sure its a fair question, don't know why I would post about my problems and in detail unless I've actually had them :LOL::LOL: It takes a lot more than that to offend me and none taken. Not sure why anyone would post crap like you say, I guess there's special people on forums / groups.
My R3 and this A9 are both perfect with both 200-600's, shame the R4 isn't yet its perfect with all my other lenses. See what happens first, the R4 sells or sony release a fix lol

What's anyones best guess? If that's possible. Is this most likely to be a camera issue rather than a lens issue? I'd guess it's a camera issue as the lens seems to work on other cameras... but it's ok on some A7RIV's? And why are some happy and some not? Baffling. I wonder what the problem is?

PS.
I don't expect an answer :D

What's anyones best guess? If that's possible. Is this most likely to be a camera issue rather than a lens issue? I'd guess it's a camera issue as the lens seems to work on other cameras... but it's ok on some A7RIV's? And why are some happy and some not? Baffling. I wonder what the problem is?

PS.

no idea. may be its certain settings that causes it and not everyone have hit those.

no idea. may be its certain settings that causes it and not everyone have hit those.

Maybe. Maybe gadgets and their software are so complex these days that it's just that, a combination of settings and maybe even sequences of events too.

I had in mind some of the primes. ;)

Joking aside, some lenses really pay back even when an image isn't enlarged much. I've recently processed 2 sets of car pictures, 1 shot last year with the 24-105 and one set with the 55 f1.8. Perhaps it's the different photographic conditions and being more familiar with the camera, but the images shot with the 55 look MUCH cleaner and crisper, altogether more pleasing than those with the 24-105.

It's not that I can't produce work I like with an older lens - even a 'bad' lens like a sigma 28-200 - but I like the work better with a better lens. :)

Hope you have a good day tomorrow snerkler! Your birthday isn't it?

I had a day from hell on mine (19th) but it was slightly better than the day before. Having a good day so far today though :D

Here's hoping you have a good day! :beer:
Thanks very much. You have a good memory, clearly better than mine :LOL:

Happy belated birthday, sorry it wasn’t a good day :(

I did some tests today and with the A9 / A7Riii I can take sample shots in the garden and get 100% hit rate. The R4 + 200-600 I'm getting less than 50% hit rate, one I had 5 acceptable shots out of 20, some are just totally out of focus. You're welcome to come try it with any setting you wish? The R4 plus any of my other lenses I get 100% hit rate.

PS.
Someone on the Fred miranda forum returned his R4 as he had the odd issue, his replacement was even worse so I personally think its camera related even though all other lenses are fine.

Just received my samyang 85mm f1.4 I picked up from sales. I have only taken a few shots of the family and looking at it in LR I dare say its sharper than the 85GM I had :eek:
It's by no means a scientific test side by side but looking at my old pictures this lens seems sharper while pixel peeping.
Was my 85GM not a good copy?

The rumor guy is convinced a top end model and a surprise top end model may be coming...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/our...-sony-officially-registered-the-third-camera/

Doubtless details will trickle out as announcement day gets closer.

I wonder what may be coming? Maybe the long rumored new A7s and maybe an RX1x or perhaps something different?

I still think A7s line is dead.
But a year or so back sony did patent their version of DPAF. I thought that was for smartphones but if that shows up on a new A7S camera I'd be very impressed.

Just received my samyang 85mm f1.4 I picked up from sales. I have only taken a few shots of the family and looking at it in LR I dare say its sharper than the 85GM I had :eek:
It's by no means a scientific test side by side but looking at my old pictures this lens seems sharper while pixel peeping.
Was my 85GM not a good copy?
The 85gm is not sharp wide open, stepped down to F2 mine is sharper than my 90mm macro.

Think they actually mean A6100 pretty much just works out of the box without needing much past the initial setup. Basically put in realtime AF and forget about it.

I do think it's a bit misleading. Granted I've not held an A6100 or a XT30 but I'd be amazed if the Fuji genuinely offers more control. Don't all these cameras allow full manual, aperture, shutter etc.

I do think it's a bit misleading. Granted I've not held an A6100 or a XT30 but I'd be amazed if the Fuji genuinely offers more control. Don't all these cameras allow full manual, aperture, shutter etc.

its no secret dpreview folks subjectively think fujis are beautiful and that translates to better ergonomics somehow.
I personally (also subjectively) feel A6100 is better to hold than X-T30. while X-T3 is not so good it become really good (better than A7 bodies) with an add-on 3rd party grip.

Back