The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Also swapped from tamron 28-75 to sony 24-105mm. For me personally the extra reach at both ends is more valuable.

I have just spent some time in LR analysing all my photos, what focal length etc and I am surprised at the % number take in the ranges of 24-28 and 75 - 105. I hadn’t realised it was such a significant %. That is with a variety of lenses, not just the 24-105. Perhaps I should not be so hasty to move it on. I do like the lens though it is slightly heavier than I would like. Wimp :)

I have just spent some time in LR analysing all my photos, what focal length etc and I am surprised at the % number take in the ranges of 24-28 and 75 - 105. I hadn’t realised it was such a significant %. That is with a variety of lenses, not just the 24-105. Perhaps I should not be so hasty to move it on. I do like the lens though it is slightly heavier than I would like. Wimp :)

exactly its covers a really useful range and is sharp across the focal range.
It's also the lightest in its class.

Okay I already said this above but...
You should never delete individual images on the card via the camera as it can cause read table errors, yes the option is there but you should not use it!

If deleting images on a card (which has been formatted by the camera) causes read table errors then there is either a fault with the card, or a fault with the cameras low level I/O Driver (and I'd hope that Sony would have cleared any such bugs long ago.

For information, I've been using Sony cameras for over 10 years and mainly create space via on-camera deletion (both individual file deletion, when I take an obviously worthless shot, and bulk deletion when I mark a set of old images and delete en-mass), perhaps formatting once a year or less. I transfer images mainly via a card reader attached to my PC, but occasionally via cable to camera. I only ever format in-camera, and the first thing I do with a new card (or if using an existing card in a different camera) is to format in camera.

I have had just one card error in that time, and that was with a Kingston card I had (I otherwise use SanDisk for CF, and either Sandisk or Samsung for SD).

If deleting images on a card (which has been formatted by the camera) causes read table errors then there is either a fault with the card, or a fault with the cameras low level I/O Driver (and I'd hope that Sony would have cleared any such bugs long ago.

For information, I've been using Sony cameras for over 10 years and mainly create space via on-camera deletion (both individual file deletion, when I take an obviously worthless shot, and bulk deletion when I mark a set of old images and delete en-mass), perhaps formatting once a year or less. I transfer images mainly via a card reader attached to my PC, but occasionally via cable to camera. I only ever format in-camera, and the first thing I do with a new card (or if using an existing card in a different camera) is to format in camera.

I have had just one card error in that time, and that was with a Kingston card I had (I otherwise use SanDisk for CF, and either Sandisk or Samsung for SD).

This is completely untrue and it isn't an issue that affects just Sony, it's also a common issue with Nikon, Canon and Fuji. I don't know about other brands. When you delete in camera it just deletes from the write table and writes back to the database telling it the image is no longer there. This can cause errors as the database can become corrupt. I am not saying it will always cause errors because it won't but every now and again it will. It is the most common reason for the well known Sony database error message and the Nikon CHA error message.

Last edited:

I delete in camera sometimes, and don't have any issues.
The only time I have an issue with the card is if I remove from camera, and view raw files on my mac.
If I delete some images on my mac and put the card back in the camera, I get read errors as the camera is looking for a file that is no longer there.

This is completely untrue and it isn't an issue that affects just Sony, it's also a common issue with Nikon, Canon and Fuji. I don't know about other brands. When you delete in camera it just deletes from the write table and writes back to the database telling it the image is no longer there. This can cause errors as the database can become corrupt. I am not saying it will always cause errors because it won't but every now and again it will. It is the most common reason for the well known Sony database error message and the Nikon CHA error message.

And I repeat, IF the cameras file deletion routine causes corruption of the database that is a bug.
The equivalent routines on PC based Card readers, Phone card, readers, etc do not cause errors for cards used just in PC's, etc.
On the machines I write control software for SD cards are used for diagnostic log data, and they auto delete old logs to make space as required - again, these operate for years without problems.
There is a circumstance where you could get the problem you describe, which is where the user switches off the camera (or removes the battery) while the camera is writing to the image database - and is simple resolved by not doing that!

I didn't think UHS-I cards could read or write as fast as the claims.
I am a little skeptical

The cards are capable, its new tech similar to the sandisk 170mbs read epeed uhs-i. The older ush-i card readers can't though, they top out at 105mps you will need a usb 3 or usb c card reader capable of reading at over 180mps. Any ushs-ii card reader should be fine they all do up to 305mps.

Last edited:
And I repeat, IF the cameras file deletion routine causes corruption of the database that is a bug.
The equivalent routines on PC based Card readers, Phone card, readers, etc do not cause errors for cards used just in PC's, etc.
On the machines I write control software for SD cards are used for diagnostic log data, and they auto delete old logs to make space as required - again, these operate for years without problems.
There is a circumstance where you could get the problem you describe, which is where the user switches off the camera (or removes the battery) while the camera is writing to the image database - and is simple resolved by not doing that!

Whatever you think, I am not telling you to do anything at all. :ROFLMAO:

If you are happy enough taking the risk that is completely up to you.

The combo works just fine for me. I don't exactly remember the issue you were facing but did you try to get it checked under warranty?

Anyone help this guy ?

I’ve started a new project which has gained traction quicker than I anticipated.
Im going out into the Forest behind my house and recording the ambient sounds with a high quality recorder. I’m also filming a simple static scene to accompany It. It works and it’s ok, but I’m using my fuji xt1 and the video quality isn’t great, and the crap bitrate really is exaggerated in the forest with all the fine details. I wouldn’t mind experimenting with more dynamic shots too, although the focus (pardon the pun) is on the audio for mediation/sleep.
So now I’m looking at options to improve the video Without a huge financial outlay.

I started looking at the Sony A7, old, but full frame and still seems like it’s decent. But then I thought I’ve got over a grands worth of Fuji lenses here ( 10-24, 18-55, 23f/2 and samyang 12mm). So the xt3 seems like the obvious choice, but it’s still so bloody expensive and having just bought the Mavic air 2 for £949, I can’t afford another £700+ on the xt3
I could get an a7 body for around £400 and then find a nice wide prime Either Sony or 3rd party, even old stuff as manual focus is no problem. I’d have sell all the Fuji stuff to cover the cost of the switch, but I’d still have a decent stills camera and video too.

I love the xt1 for stills, but it just sucks so hard on video and at the moment, video is making money, photography isn’t. Back a few months ago when I was deciding what to buy, it was between the Fuji and a Sony a6000, video wasn’t important then, so the Fuji won.. typical.

So, ditch all the Fuji gear and go old school a7, or try raise a few hundred quid and keep my Fuji glass and get the xt3?

All the video will be in a dark forest that covered in old iron workings and mines, so low light must be decent. I know the a7 is good there, not sure on the xt3. Can a newer apsc really compete with Older full frame?

Help please!

can't say I have particularly noticed it but could well be an issue.
Interested in hearing what Sony EU come back with.
I have spoken with a contact today to chase it up, I have a feeling my R4 wont stay long but I will see how the A9 gets on and go from there.

I have spoken with a contact today to chase it up, I have a feeling my R4 wont stay long but I will see how the A9 gets on and go from there.

I had few issues with one lens (think it was 24GM) till they released an update for it.
I wonder if a fw update is overdue.

I had few issues with one lens (think it was 24GM) till they released an update for it.
I wonder if a fw update is overdue.
There is an issue with the 24-70 gm and the A7Rii that never got resolved but hopefully this one will be. Who knows I may prefer the A9 and opt for an A9ii instead. I'm still wondering why we haven't seen the A7iv yet?

There is an issue with the 24-70 gm and the A7Rii that never got resolved but hopefully this one will be. Who knows I may prefer the A9 and opt for an A9ii instead. I'm still wondering why we haven't seen the A7iv yet?

I think they are just waiting for competition to compete a little ;)
Based on the current offering from other brands its still very competitive, selling rather well and has dropped in price the least out of the bunch (taking into account its been out longer).

Also it only recently turned 2 years. I think they are on a 2-ish years cycle

The Sony A7RIV and 200-600mm are the best camera and lens of the year in Japan...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/cam...ice-for-camera-and-lens-of-the-year-in-japan/

That's nice :D

Glad I chose the 200-600mm over the 100-400mm. My tests at both ends of the range really impressed. And after all the humming and hawing over which second body to get with my A9, I've pushed the boat out and plumped for the A7RIV. About to purchase at Panamoz who were really fast with the other items.

On the subject of suppliers, e-infinity have yet to deliver my 16-35mm ordered on May 4th. Got a tracking number last week, but it's still showing with RM as "The sender has advised they’ve dispatched your item to us. More information will be available when we receive it." FFS!

Glad I chose the 200-600mm over the 100-400mm. My tests at both ends of the range really impressed. And after all the humming and hawing over which second body to get with my A9, I've pushed the boat out and plumped for the A7RIV. About to purchase at Panamoz who were really fast with the other items.

On the subject of suppliers, e-infinity have yet to deliver my 16-35mm ordered on May 4th. Got a tracking number last week, but it's still showing with RM as "The sender has advised they’ve dispatched your item to us. More information will be available when we receive it." FFS!

That is normal for e-infin that means it is hasn’t reached London yet. It is shipped to London via TNT usually, they don’t provide tracking for this. Once it is in London it gets sent on by Royal Mail. The reason you have a tracking already is just because they have already booked the Royal Mail part.

That is what they told me a while back when an order of mine went missing. TNT lost it.

Just bear in mind that quite a few people have had issues using the A7RIV and 200-600.

Last edited:
I think they are just waiting for competition to compete a little ;)
Based on the current offering from other brands its still very competitive, selling rather well and has dropped in price the least out of the bunch (taking into account its been out longer).

Also it only recently turned 2 years. I think they are on a 2-ish years cycle
The R series seems to be on a 2 year update cycle:

A7Riv July 2019
A7riii Oct 2017
A7Rii Aug 2015
A7R Oct 2013

The A7 series seems to have been a bit more sporadic with a 1 year before the first update and nearly 4 years to the next update:

A7iii April 2018

A7ii Nov 2014
A7 Oct 2013

I’d say it will be along at some point but that may even be next year if it’s development or manufacture has affected by COVID-19. Im not sure if Sony really need to update it as it’s a good value introduction at present.

That is normal for e-infin that means it is hasn’t reached London yet. It is shipped to London via TNT usually, they don’t provide tracking for this. Once it is in London it gets sent on by Royal Mail. The reason you have a tracking already is just because they have already booked the Royal Mail part.

That is what they told me a while back when an order of mine went missing. TNT lost it.

Just bear in mind that quite a few people have had issues using the A7RIV and 200-600.

Yes, I gathered that was the case, but not impressed at their comms. Even when I emailed to ask what the delay was, they took a few days to respond. Panamoz have been exemplary in comparison, keeping me updated regularly and always responding within 24 hours.

What are the reported A7RIV / 200-600 issues? Thanks.

Yes, I gathered that was the case, but not impressed at their comms. Even when I emailed to ask what the delay was, they took a few days to respond. Panamoz have been exemplary in comparison, keeping me updated regularly and always responding within 24 hours.

What are the reported A7RIV / 200-600 issues? Thanks.

Yeah they are crap to deal with Panamoz are much better

Autofocus issues mainly there was quite a big thread on dpreview a while back. Think someone in this thread had a few issues too.

Yeah they are crap to deal with Panamoz are much better

Autofocus issues mainly there was quite a big thread on dpreview a while back. Think someone in this thread had a few issues too.

Thanks. Off to read about this... Tbf though, I'll be using the 200-600 for football so it will be on the A9. But still...

Glad I chose the 200-600mm over the 100-400mm!
I tested both back to back and couldn’t tell the difference quality wise but obviously the 600 at 600 and the 400 cropped to 600 you could definitely see the difference. I don’t mind the extra weight for the extra reach.
There are a lot of people having AF issues with the R4 and 200-600 combo, if the subject is large, very well lit and doesn’t move you should be ok, otherwise forget it. Even turning to mode 3 and using a shutter over 1/2000 doesn’t help. Tripods don’t help. There’s many threads on many forums. If my A9 arrives tomorrow and is as good as people say then my R4 will be on the sales page by the weekend.

I tested both back to back and couldn’t tell the difference quality wise but obviously the 600 at 600 and the 400 cropped to 600 you could definitely see the difference. I don’t mind the extra weight for the extra reach.
There are a lot of people having AF issues with the R4 and 200-600 combo, if the subject is large, very well lit and doesn’t move you should be ok, otherwise forget it. Even turning to mode 3 and using a shutter over 1/2000 doesn’t help. Tripods don’t help. There’s many threads on many forums. If my A9 arrives tomorrow and is as good as people say then my R4 will be on the sales page by the weekend.

Bit worrying, but I want the R4 for other purposes anyway.

Last edited:

I have been using the 200-600 with an A9 and A9II a lot lately and both are great!

The Sony A7RIV and 200-600mm are the best camera and lens of the year in Japan...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/cam...ice-for-camera-and-lens-of-the-year-in-japan/

That's nice :D
I only get the best :LOL:

I've been really impressed with the 100-400mm, IQ is great. The 1kg saving and the fact it's being used on the R4 gives me enough reach (y)

26mp actually ;)

what's 4mp between friends.

Is there an advantage to using apsc over just cropping?

Aside from smaller files obv, it also makes the shot easier on the eye while taking the pic. See your subject closer and not be distracted by all that unnecessary stuff around it.

Back