The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

the following comments may seem to be negative towards Sony which some readers may find offensive :police:

I reckon this will be saved as upgrade features for the new bodies. sony haven't address the focus box colour change option like they did in fw with the a9. i just can't see them being that generous to add a full touchscreen via a free update.

using the full touch screen does make things so much quicker. its frustrating its been around so long but ignored for so long. i remember using it on my nikon d5500 4 years ago and thinking how nice it would be on my other cameras. to deliberately hold it back and only start adding it in 2020/2021 is poor and cheap.
THe thing is though,

Many actual pros are not bothered about touch screens and cameras like this and the a9/1dx's they get feedback from pros, not us internet keybaord warriors.

anyways glad its in now

The biggest prints I've ever had made (two of which live on my walls, a third was sold) were from D50 and D90 files (6 and 12mp respectively). I've also just looked back at some of my 5D Classic files and they are bloomin' gorgeous.

I applaud the tech guys at Sony winning out over the marketing guys, it shows focus. Sony have 3 separate full-frame lines going, there is no need to give any concessions to stills shooters with the a7III.

I have A3 prints from my APS-C Canon DSLR's, so that's 6 or 8mp and at the time I thought the 5D was as good a camera as I'd ever need. I always try to think what my real needs are and being a happy hobbyist 12mp would be enough for me. Time has moved on though and people have got used to pixel peeping and cropping and being able to see very fine detail. Whilst I can see the attraction of the A7s line for video shooters for stills shooters one question could be how will the IQ of this 12mp A7s compare to a possibly cheaper higher res camera picture downsized to match the A7s picture.

I'm sure it's a lovely camera and the video crowd may be over the moon with it.

What calculations? My raspberry pi 3 can bloody use multi touch interfaces LOL!!

But your raspberry pi isnt doing millions of af calculations, metering calculations and processing huge raw files in a split second. You arent allowed to talk about other cameras and here you come and start talking about a fruit pie. :D

THe thing is though,

Many actual pros are not bothered about touch screens and cameras like this and the a9/1dx's they get feedback from pros, not us internet keybaord warriors.

anyways glad its in now
Erm... I use my camera plenty and the keyboard warriors as you call them probably make them more money than the few pros

THe thing is though,

anyways glad its in now

The thing is, it can be offered as an option to be deactivated.

I consider that to be part of the charm of the thread, sometimes it goes off on a tangent and we are talking about completely random things, its why its at 1,681 pages strong. The thread would never be as popular or large if we only stuck to the topic.

Me too, it's a pity about the guy that reports everything that isn't. Seems more than a little bit petty, and let's be honest he doesn't do it because it annoys him as he proved before he just likes to wind people up and tends to pick on someone for a little while before moving on to someone else. Just like when he pushed and prodded at Tony aka at f/1.4 until he responded and got banned or when he gave rookies a hard time for no reason or followed me around the forum, snipping. I have him blocked now, all good.

Last edited:
Me too, it's a pity about the guy that reports everything that isn't. Seems more than a little bit petty, and let's be honest he doesn't do it because it annoys him as he proved before he just likes to wind people up and tends to pick on someone for a little while before moving on to someone else. Just like when he pushed and prodded at Tony aka at f/1.4 until he responded and got banned.

Was Tony permanently banned or just decided to not come back?

Me too, it's a pity about the guy that reports everything that isn't. Seems more than a little bit petty, and let's be honest he doesn't do it because it annoys him as he proved before he just likes to wind people up and tends to pick on someone for a little while before moving on to someone else. Just like when he pushed and prodded at Tony aka at f/1.4 until he responded and got banned or when he gave rookies a hard time for no reason or followed me around the forum, snipping. I have him blocked now, all good.

I was involved in that too and he (Tony) was out of line. It was neither the first time he was out of line nor the first time he was banned. Unlike his previous ban I am guessing MODs were less lenient this time round.

THe thing is though,

anyways glad its in now

it was exactly the same with a normal tilting screen. the pros apparently didn't want that either. but oh wait....there it is on the d5. d850 etc. Full touch screen is coming. Every camera will have it. its just a lazy omission imo and something held back in order to add value to an upgrade. Theres no excuse for it in 2020.

the following comments may seem to be negative towards Sony which some readers may find offensive :police:

I reckon this will be saved as upgrade features for the new bodies. sony haven't address the focus box colour change option like they did in fw with the a9. i just can't see them being that generous to add a full touchscreen via a free update.

using the full touch screen does make things so much quicker. its frustrating its been around so long but ignored for so long. i remember using it on my nikon d5500 4 years ago and thinking how nice it would be on my other cameras. to deliberately hold it back and only start adding it in 2020/2021 is poor and cheap.

but they were generous with the A9 FW. update. They have given good fw updates in the past so its not completely hopeless. But if they never update the A7RIV properly I won't be a happy bunny.

But your raspberry pi isnt doing millions of af calculations, metering calculations and processing huge raw files in a split second. You arent allowed to talk about other cameras and here you come and start talking about a fruit pie. :D
hehe

it was exactly the same with a normal tilting screen. the pros apparently didn't want that either. but oh wait....there it is on the d5. d850 etc. Full touch screen is coming. Every camera will have it. its just a lazy omission imo and something held back in order to add value to an upgrade. Theres no excuse for it in 2020.
Maybe they(sony, canon nikon) shoukd stop listening to pros and listen to us?

Pros especially in the sport and journalist world seem to be very old fashioned and dont want tech progress/change.

THEY HATE IT!!

They wished mirrorless as a whole will die.

This A7s3 was basically designed and created by feedback from us!

R5/R6 similar

Last edited:

Permanently banned.

I was involved in that too and he (Tony) was out of line. It was neither the first time he was out of line nor the first time he was banned. Unlike his previous ban I am guessing MODs were less lenient this time round.

Yeah he was slightly out of line, but lets be honest it wasn't really that bad and others here have said and done worse. Did it annoy you that much to go crying to the mods about it, demanding he be banned? Tony's shutter had just died on his camera while he was in the middle of a wedding as well so I imagine he was in quite bad form, we all have our off days. That other guy knew exactly what he was doing and purposely tried to wind him up and got what he wanted. Also the first time Tony had a temp ban it was after an interaction with the same fella.

Last edited:
Maybe they(sony, canon nikon) shoukd stop listening to pros and listen to us?

Pros especially in the sport and journalist world seem to be very old fashioned and dont want tech progress/change.

THEY HATE IT!!

They wished mirrorless as a whole will die.

This A7s3 was basically designed and created by feedback from us!

R5/R6 similar

Note sure you can say that really, when A.P have just switched over to mirrorless because of the new tech.

Although agree that things like touch menu, connectivity etc. would be bottom of the list if Sony asked me for a list of specs. Top of the list would be to add seconds to the clock, like how difficult could that be.. :mad:

Note sure you can say that really, when A.P have just switched over to mirrorless because of the new tech.

Although agree that things like touch menu, connectivity etc. would be bottom of the list if Sony asked me for a list of specs. Top of the list would be to add seconds to the clock, like how difficult could that be.. :mad:

Whats 60 seconds when you can do 20fps!

But I am not going lie, we do seem to discuss a lot more off-topic things (i.e. non-Sony MILC things) on this thread than other brand threads seem to do IMO.
I don't mind that tbh but obviously some others do and I don't blame them either.

but the title does say "Anything else welcome Mega Thread!" which other brand thread don't welcome ;)

I'm sure you know I meant anything else Sony. Mostly :D

I do think it's interesting to discuss the competition and wider market but when it goes on for page after page it can become more questionable and IMO things can get a bit too close to looking like a wind up at times. I do think it's a shame that some people (and it's more than one...) are put off from posting in this thread because of what can be seen at times as a clique and sometimes even as an aggressive attitude. It's also a shame when the mods have to come in and remind people how to behave. TBH I don't post quite as often as I used to either.

Perhaps change the record a bit then, because you slagging off the 12mp on the a7siii constantly is tedious.

I only like comments that slag off other brands? :LOL::LOL: Not sure where you've got that from. Think I've mentioned previously that I'd happily use any brand.

Not sensitive, just a couple of wollys in this thread.

Perhaps stop your whining and responses to my posts when loads have commented on the 12MP.

You'd happily use any brand yet you are so easily offended that you have to suggest someone vacates a thread and you also state there are wollys in the thread, says a lot about you.

Last edited:
Whats 60 seconds when you can do 20fps!

The seconds being added would be really useful to me.

When we are heading out to a wedding we need to sync all 6 bodies to the exact same time. You can sort of get around it by using the app but its a pain, it would be much better if you could just set them all using the camera's clock.

Not sure where you're getting this offended thing from but ok :LOL: :LOL: . Goodbye.

Tom, you really should stick around. The personalities and tone may not be for you to suffer every day but there's maybe just enough variety of people, views and different types of talk and photography to keep you interested enough to drop in now and again? Maybe?

I hope so.

Twist. I know you like a wind up but on reflection maybe you'll decide this post wasn't a good move or a good look.

I'm tired of being the adult in the room so I'm off to play in my sand pit now.

Twist. I know you like a wind up but on reflection maybe you'll decide this post wasn't a good move or a good look.

I'm tired of being the adult in the room so I'm off to play in my sand pit now.

He said goodbye, its good manners to say goodbye back. I hope he didnt mean it was a permanent thing! Enjoy the sand.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a decent backpack? im annoyed im buying yet another camera bag, but im off to the Lakes friday and i want something thats going to take a few lenses, my drone and tripod. not a fan of using a tripod but guess i'll need it.

have looked at this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-ProTactic-Backpack-Mirrorless-LP37176-PWW/dp/B07J1ZXSGH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=EVIUCDANHDW7&dchild=1&keywords=lowepro+350&qid=1595930389&sprefix=lower+350,aps,142&sr=8-3
The only bag u need

https://www.cameranu.nl/nl/p755575/f-stop-lotus-aloe-drab-green-rugtas

i got various fstop bags and they built like a tank

Can anyone recommend a decent backpack? im annoyed im buying yet another camera bag, but im off to the Lakes friday and i want something thats going to take a few lenses, my drone and tripod. not a fan of using a tripod but guess i'll need it.

have looked at this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-ProTactic-Backpack-Mirrorless-LP37176-PWW/dp/B07J1ZXSGH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=EVIUCDANHDW7&dchild=1&keywords=lowepro+350&qid=1595930389&sprefix=lower+350,aps,142&sr=8-3

I have given up on backpacks and decided they just aren't for me at all.

I now use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008OHOA52 which lives in the car because it weighs a metric ton and I just decant everything I need into one of my Billinghams as I need it.

I have given up on backpacks and decided they just aren't for me at all.

I now use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008OHOA52 which lives in the car because it weighs a metric ton and I just decant everything I need into one of my Billinghams as I need it.

I like my Billingham bags but big modern lenses could limit what you could take let alone a drone and tripod. I use a cheap man mag a lot of the time but that'll only really fit my A7 with compact prime and another compact lens at a pinch.

I love the MiNdshift Backlight series :

The above is what I use most of the time but it sounds like you need to carry a fair bit so maybe:

Last edited:
The runour guy says that after the A7s is launched he'll post rumours about the other rumoured Sony camera and a possible new Sigma lens too.

Exciting times :D

I'm sure you know I meant anything else Sony. Mostly :D

I do think it's interesting to discuss the competition and wider market but when it goes on for page after page it can become more questionable and IMO things can get a bit too close to looking like a wind up at times. I do think it's a shame that some people (and it's more than one...) are put off from posting in this thread because of what can be seen at times as a clique and sometimes even as an aggressive attitude. It's also a shame when the mods have to come in and remind people how to behave. TBH I don't post quite as often as I used to either.

Now I do :D

Yeah he was slightly out of line, but lets be honest it wasn't really that bad and others here have said and done worse. Did it annoy you that much to go crying to the mods about it, demanding he be banned? Tony's shutter had just died on his camera while he was in the middle of a wedding as well so I imagine he was in quite bad form, we all have our off days. That other guy knew exactly what he was doing and purposely tried to wind him up and got what he wanted. Also the first time Tony had a temp ban it was after an interaction with the same fella.

it wasn't his actions just on this thread that got him banned. As I said above it wasn't the first time he was out of line (and not only on this thread) nor was the first time he was banned for his attitude (as you well know from your comment). He should have just put Tom on ignore list if was the sole cause for his first ban and wind up.

Also people cannot go demanding people to be banned and even if they did there'd be no one left on this forum if the MODs went around banning everyone people demanded to be banned :LOL:
For one people on ignore list would be banned if it worked that way but they are not.

I very rarely report people/posts unless they really go out of line. Just before he got banned there was multiple people that reported him not just Tom.

Last edited:
Liking the new screen

Bildschirmfoto-2020-07-28-um-06.39.39.png

A7RII....oh wait...you said bag!:p

Liking the new screen

Bildschirmfoto-2020-07-28-um-06.39.39.png

The obsessive geek in me couldn't live with that camera unless I could get the Sony logo the right way up. If that's not possible the whole design team should be executed. Immediately. Either that or make the Sony logo spinnable so you can spin it the right way round.

Back