The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I just watched that northrup vid R5 she says after an hours shoot of stills it would then only give 2 mins of video and the battery was low too ,It's not looking very good at all .

Rob.

I just watched that northrup vid R5 she says after an hours shoot of stills it would then only give 2 mins of video and the battery was low too ,It's not looking very good at all .

Rob.

It has headline-grabbing specs but real-world use in a professional manner it trips over itself massively.

No, 1 criteria for any gear is reliability. Without that I would not even consider it, period.

Rob.
Good job it's a still camera first rather than a video camera. ;) It's going to be interesting to see what it is like as a still camera. No one seems to be talking about that. It beats the a7SIII for resolution at least.

Last edited:
Good job it's a still camera first rather than a video camera. ;) It's going to be interesting to see what it is like as still camera. No one seems to be talking about that. It beats the a7SIII for resolution at least.

The 8k and video is taking over all the headlines.

If you are a stills shooter it won't matter to you, just remember to carry 3x the amount of batteries you are used to!

I keep looking at the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2, it's in stock at some places.

I don't need one as I have the 40mm f1.2 and performance looks very similar but that doesn't stop me looking at it :D

I'd really like to see comparisons to the 35mm f1.4 but I suppose I could just compare my own 35mm f1.4 and 40mm f1.2 lenses as the 35 and 40mm f1.2's look so close.

The 8k and video is taking over all the headlines.

If you are a stills shooter it won't matter to you, just remember to carry 3x the amount of batteries you are used to!

I'll believe the battery issue when I see people here post their findings, my experience with pretty much all milc brands are that the cipa rating is miles out.

Good job it's a still camera first rather than a video camera. ;) It's going to be interesting to see what it is like as a still camera. No one seems to be talking about that. It beats the a7SIII for resolution at least.

There's lots of eye af videos in the R thread, very impressive so is the iso. The bad press usually takes the headlines.

There's lots of eye af videos in the R thread, very impressive so is the iso. The bad press usually takes the headlines.
But for landscape photographers, dynamic range and low ISO performance become more important. ;)

If Canon are marketing with the video specs to the fore, any problems with the video performance are going to get the headlines. :rolleyes:

I’ve only seen how well the AF point tracks the eye but has anyone tested the accuracy when actually taking the shot yet?

I’ve only seen how well the AF point tracks the eye but has anyone tested the accuracy when actually taking the shot yet?

Tony said the box is on the eye for animal focus but focus isn’t actually on the eye all the time,

Mixed views on both the canon and Sony’s depending on who from.

Watched matti’s a7s3 video and he seemed to rate it highly even though he is a canon shooter

How quickly do Tamron lenses tend to fall in price, I’m still fancying the 70-180mm but I’m not prepared to pay £1300 for it?

How quickly do Tamron lenses tend to fall in price, I’m still fancying the 70-180mm but I’m not prepared to pay £1300 for it?

The tamron 28-75mm actually went up in price after release!

Generally speaking they are same as any other Sony lens. About a year on in you'll at discounts.

Might sell mine one day. Don't know yet.

But for landscape photographers, dynamic range and low ISO performance become more important. ;)

If Canon are marketing with the video specs to the fore, any problems with the video performance are going to get the headlines. :rolleyes:

I never said they werent, I said the eye af and iso performance looked impressive. Where did you see them advertising video as being the most important function of the camera? They are definitely pushing technology in video but that doesnt mean its a fully blown cine cam, if the production camera is useless due to heat they will suffer in the sales on the video side because the video guys will buy the A7siii.

Last edited:
Come on R5 was first announced with a headline feature of just 8K before anything else. You know it as well as anyone.
And in good old canon fashion it's limited.
When you advertise your headline feature as 8K it's kinda implied it's a video oriented hybrid more so than a stills oriented hybrid.

They should have really gone for it as a stills camera. Any way for me it seems to be a good stills camera, still keeping an eye on it.

Last edited:
We're on the same boat in that regard ;)
I’m actually considering getting a well priced used 70-200mm f4 to then sell on hopefully without a loss when the Tammy is more reasonably priced.

Come on R5 was first announced with a headline feature of just 8K before anything else. You know it as well as anyone.
And in good old canon fashion it's limited.

They should have really gone for it as a stills camera. Any way for me it seems to be a good stills camera, still keeping an eye on it.

Was it? It was advertised as one of the key features and people online wouldve latched to 8k but I never saw Canon saying 8K and video were the main function.

Take a look at the official site, in order of importance video comes lower down the page.

Last edited:
Was it? Its one of the key features, along with the 45mp, fps and AF.

Take a look at the official site, in order of importance video comes lower down the page.

Yes it was. The very first announcement even before we knew how many megapixels it was.

Look at the very first R5 announcement and coverage it's mostly all video features

Are you acting like you don't know simply because it's canon and in your mind whatever brand you shoot is perfect for some reason.

Last edited:
Yes it was. The very first announcement even before we knew how many megapixels it was.
Are you acting like you don't know simply because it's canon and in your mind whatever brand you shoot is perfect for some reason

Look at the very first R5 announcement and coverage it's mostly all video features

Or perhaps its because I havent seen every Canon advert, what I do know is what the official website says and heres the US launch statement and these are current advertising mediums.

So you can pick 1 advert that certainly wouldve grabbed headlines, after all it shows something no other milc does but it doesnt mean they pitch 8k above stills.

No, I like pretty much every camera I use, for different reasons, the main reason the Canon r5 is getting chat is because theyve finally caught up and are challenging Sonys latest.

Last edited:
It had been advertised as canon returning to form and taking its place at the top with video like the 5dmk2, which although at the time was a fine stills camera,really made its name from its video functionality.

Everyone did expect it to have some sort of cripple like canon has a tendency to do, but on first glance of the specs everyone was shocked to see no such thing.Then hype started to build, before the over heating came along [emoji23]

Similarly I think people had expected more from the s3 even though that is clearly aimed at the amateur/lower end video market, the stills guys are still going on about 12mp.

Everyone just expects abit to much and if it doesn’t have these dreamed up specs that rumour sites make up before release then it seems to take flack.

Now a days with so much online content things like over heating can’t just slide by I’ve not watched one review that hasn’t had issues with it so far.

Everyone just expects abit to much and if it doesn’t have these dreamed up specs that rumour sites make up before release then it seems to take flack.

Not sure rumour site posted any dreamed up specs at least for A7Siii anyway. 12mp is simply a bit disappoint for a hybrid. no matter how much anyone tries to convince me its a video camera, it does look like one, seem like one, handle like one. Its a hybrid, you just need to look at the mode dial to realise that :p

It had been advertised as canon returning to form and taking its place at the top with video like the 5dmk2, which although at the time was a fine stills camera,really made its name from its video functionality.

Everyone did expect it to have some sort of cripple like canon has a tendency to do, but on first glance of the specs everyone was shocked to see no such thing.Then hype started to build, before the over heating came along [emoji23]

Similarly I think people had expected more from the s3 even though that is clearly aimed at the amateur/lower end video market, the stills guys are still going on about 12mp.

Now a days with so much online content things like over heating can’t just slide by I’ve not watched one review that hasn’t had issues with it so far.

The 5dii was important because the average stills guys who were shooting weddings could do something they never really could with a FF sensor, use 1 or 2 bodies to do both, offering stills and clips. Movie producers had a cheap camera for clips or destroying instead of their high end stuff. It kind of revolutionised things for a few industries. I guess the video guys are kind of expecting the R5 evolution but in terms of 4/8K quality and AF and it does offer that but with heat so will only suit certain types of film makers.

I definitely expected the Canon cripple or crop and was shocked it wasnt.

Last edited:
The 5dii was important because the average stills guys who were shooting weddings could do something they never really could with a FF sensor, use 1 or 2 bodies to do both, offering stills and clips. Movie producers had a cheap camera for clips or destroying instead of their high end stuff. It kind of revolutionised things for a few industries. I guess the video guys are kind of expecting the R5 evolution but in terms of 4/8K quality and AF and it does offer that but with heat so will only suit certain types of film makers.

I definitely expected the Canon cripple or crop and was shocked it wasnt.

Take it you are joking? The cripple hammer hit hard with the new Canons with all the overheating issues.

It’s headline spec is pretty much useless, it can’t even do 4K without overheating and if you use it for stills the overheating protection won’t let you shoot video at all making it completely useless for real hybrid use.

Take it you are joking? The cripple hammer hit hard with the new Canons with all the overheating issues.

It’s headline spec is pretty much useless, it can’t even do 4K without overheating and if you use it for stills the overheating protection won’t let you shoot video at all making it completely useless for real hybrid use.

No cripple hammer as in terms of spec, 4 or 8k crop, bitrate etc.

I'll believe the battery issue when I see people here post their findings, my experience with pretty much all milc brands are that the cipa rating is miles out.
No, the youtubers have pointed that the battery life is bad in real world use. chekc many of the videos about the r5/r6

No cripple hammer as in terms of spec, 4 or 8k crop, bitrate etc.
AS @Raymond Lin said, real world reliability is very very very important and if you cant use it as a hybrid system due to overheating then no pro hybrid shooter is going to use this camera.

For you it should be fine as you dont do video at all and just stills.

No, the youtubers have pointed that the battery life is bad in real world use. chekc many of the videos about the r5/r6

Oh dear. Maybe Cipa isnt underrating this time round. (n) Did they say how many stills they achieved before battery low warning?

AS @Raymond Lin said, real world reliability is very very very important and if you cant use it as a hybrid system due to overheating then no pro hybrid shooter is going to use this camera.

For you it should be fine as you dont do video at all and just stills.

How do you know I dont shoot video? I have hundreds of gigs of video.

If the camera won’t even turn on then it might as well have 16k or 32k.

I think you are misunderstanding, my post says expecting, when the features were leaked I expected crops etc. that was before the heating was reported. I never suggested the heating isnt going to be an issue for a lot of people who want to use it for lengthy clips.

Oh dear. Maybe Cipa isnt underrating this time round. (n) Did they say how many stills they achieved before battery low warning?
Watch the videos yourself, one of them was shooting for a couple of hours and already used 2/3 of the battery.

Thats the best thing about youtube videos that are not sponsored, u get to see what the experience is like before you make a decision to buy it or not.

Again maye for u, you dont shoot no more than 3 hours and only take a few shots here and there but maybe for others it will be a issue.

Again, these videos will help make you make a decision based on your needs.

O and dont worry, the A7s3 will have flaws too so dont think that people here are bashing R5 and the A7s3 is perfect and will blow it out of the way, it wont. they both have flaws. deal with it or look for another camera that has the least amount of flaws.

Why did you get rid of the a7mk3 if by your thoughts, it was more or less a flawless camera for your needs?

What was it missing that made you switch?

How do you know I dont shoot video? I have hundreds of gigs of video.
Because i swear to god you yourself said you only care about stills..

Maybe times have changed and you now care a bit more about video but what video?

What resoution? What are you filming?

Are you producing mini film snippets with actors and actresses? Are you vlogging yourself on daily stuff? Are you filming reportage work?

Are you filming for the press?

All of these things need to be asked so you can assest what tool is right for you.

I now assume that posisbly the A73 did not have the video tools you needed at the time?

Watch the videos yourself, one of them was shooting for a couple of hours and already used 2/3 of the battery.

Thats the best thing about youtube videos that are not sponsored, u get to see what the experience is like before you make a decision to buy it or not.

Again maye for u, you dont shoot no more than 3 hours and only take a few shots here and there but maybe for others it will be a issue.

Again, these videos will help make you make a decision based on your needs.

O and dont worry, the A7s3 will have flaws too so dont think that people here are bashing R5 and the A7s3 is perfect and will blow it out of the way, it wont. they both have flaws. deal with it or look for another camera that has the least amount of flaws.

Why did you get rid of the a7mk3 if by your thoughts, it was more or less a flawless camera for your needs?

What was it missing that made you switch?

Again, how do you know my shooting habits, I can easily take over 1,500 shots in a day at a show and when did I say its not an issue? I asked the amount of stills it can shoot on a charge. Youre making a lot of assumptions here about my camera usage and preference. What do I need to deal with specifically? I know all cameras have flaws, Ive used enough of them to have figured that out.

The A7mk3 was a great camera, I got the itch bought the A9, which again was bloody incredible but overkill especially as at the time I started shooting less due to work commitments, in hindsight I couldve kept the mk3 and saved some hassle.

When i moved to sony it took about 3 years of transition before i fully switched.

Why? Because assest all my needs and wants and looked at the flaws of canon and decided ok let me try the Sony mirrorless as i like the idea of no mirror and AF being baked in the sensor plus a smaller lighter body. lets start off with that one body(a7s actually :) ) and one lens and go from there.

6months later the A7r2 came and i was blown away by it as it had a better AF system then my 5d3 and much much better IQ so i jumped on that .

but wait, still lacking lenses so i adapted my canon glass and got to grips with the sony body.

After a year or less, GM lenses and third party zeiss BATIS lenses(first ever AF lenses they made apparently) and started slowly building my collection up to the point that now the lenses in sony camp are huge, lots of choices, from tamron to samyang .

And camera bodies that just pees all over canon's dslr's and pre r5/r6 stuff,

Now what would make me swithc to canon or whoever?

New next gen technology

global shutter please.
New lens tech where a 35mm 1.4 is the same exact size as the 35mm 1.8.

Those are two things that would make me switch and canon etc dont have that and switcing to anyone else is a downgrade or at best, a side step and for what?

Back