The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I need to somehow get back into photography, since the pandemic began I have lost interest.

I can't connect with photographer if I can't connect with human beings.
My camera's become a very expensive paperweight recently :( Spending my free time doing music instead (y)

Something a little abstract for a Monday...

FM121 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

My third and final wedding of the year and first under covid restrictions. Decided to have a bit of fun and hire the 85mm 1.4GM just to see how the other half live ;) I want one.
Wow, this is ace. Very moody. I'd be tempted to black out the bottom left opening for more impact on the bride but great job.

I need to somehow get back into photography, since the pandemic began I have lost interest.

Hmmm. A difficult one.

Most of my pictures are taken on days out and walks, wild flower, leaf, detail and scene shots so there's all that if you fancy that. If not there's the possibility of trying something different such as close up photography at home, objects. water droplets, house plants, birds in flight out of the window, long exposure shots of the night scene or street photography?

Especially for @Merlin5 and @LeeRatters "The model, A7C, is wearing a rather fetching Voigtlander 21mm f3.5 in Sony E mount".

The last thing stopping me is the shutter issue and the inability to go faster than 1/4,000 without button presses. If it was a seamless thing as with my Panasonic cameras I'd probably get one but as it is I just know that this one issue would frustrate the hell out of me on sunny days. It'll probably not be a problem for shooting at f2.8 or narrower though. God knows why Sony have done it like this, if they do a firmware update to allow an auto shutter option that'd probably be enough for me. I loved my Panasonic G1 but it did make me promise myself that I'd never buy another camera with a 1/4,000 shutter.

Last edited:
I have my 100-400mm on my GX80 (a Panasonic MFT RF style camera) and it's fine as when using the combo I hold the camera with my right hand and my left is under the lens. It's fine.

A big lens on a small camera may look silly but it's perfectly possible to have a balanced set up if you hold the thing sensibly and don't try and shoot combinations like this one handed.

Hmmm. A difficult one.

Most of my pictures are taken on days out and walks, wild flower, leaf, detail and scene shots so there's all that if you fancy that. If not there's the possibility of trying something different such as close up photography at home, objects. water droplets, house plants, birds in flight out of the window, long exposure shots of the night scene or street photography?
Yea i may try that

Not really been keeping a track of rumours etc but was reading on the rumour site there a post from a few days back about the new 35GM that is coming saying it is only slightly larger than the 24GM. That was what I was hoping for, anyone else excited about this lens?

Arrived. :banana:

1.jpg

I've given it a quick try and it's great, really brings everything closer. A nice amount of zoom but in a pretty tiny shell. After using the 16mm regularly, I notice camera shake more with a longer focal length. Still easy to use with IBIS but more noticeable although very minimal. I can't wait to try it properly.

I've taken photos on my phone comparing the size of the 56mm v 16mm with and without lens hoods on my a6600, You can click on the thumbs.

56 hood

16 hood

Last edited:
Looks like you have a very similar tripod. I have the ultra light version with the fixed center column.
How are you enjoying the camera?
So far, so good. Though I've only been to the bottom of the yard with it. The tripod is a little Rollei. Not too bad for a little 'un as long as you don't extend the last legs or raise the centre column. But it's small and light enough to take with me. I'm not a tripod lover, so I use every excuse not to take my larger ones out.

Have you thought about buying some books that may help inspire you? Since lockdown it feels like I've spent a small fortune on books and that's helped me. Sure, what works for me might not work fo you.. . Some youtube channels have helped me too

Just had a wee stroll in the gloom down the path with the A7C and Samyang 75mm. Lovely combination. This camera is so suited to small primes. A random selection. I don't normally "do" people but I was having a laugh with an old friend I happened to bump into.

Alan by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

River by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Sign by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Or....take photos of your guitar :p

Svz29jB.jpg

How do get that kind of focus, Raymond? I know it's wide open aperture for shallow depth of field, but maybe my eyes are deceiving me because it looks like you've got bits in focus top left, then bottom right and blurry bits in between. It's not a tilt shift thing is it? It's a good look.

Last edited:
How do get that kind of focus, Raymond? I know it's wide open aperture for shallow depth of field, but maybe my eyes are deceiving me because it looks like you've got bits in focus top left, then bottom right and blurry bits in between. It's a good look.

The pedalboard is slightly slanted, so the plane of focus is not parallel to the frame of the photo, that's why it's like that. Otherwise i can use a tilt shift lens.

The pedalboard is slightly slanted, so the plane of focus is not parallel to the frame of the photo, that's why it's like that. Otherwise i can use a tilt shift lens.

Interesting. I'll have to experiment with that.

Ditto, had lots of time to listen on my hi-fi again and to try learn some guitar and piano.
Cool. I'm venturing more into the production side of things these days. So much to learn :eek:

Back