The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Of course its not a deal breaker but it depends if you want that built in insurance or if you want to faff with other methods or possibly even lose clients because of failure, its not just backup, a 2nd slot can act as a jpg slot, overflow or video. Youre not just covering yourself with 2 cards but also have 2 slots if the one failed. I really wouldnt say its a small detail but perhaps some arent concerned. I always back my computer up, why wouldnt I 'back my camera up'.

But there is a flip side to this situation, you should always backup your data off the device that is being backed up (for added security)... so for example my MacBook Pro is backed up to a AirPort Extreme which has a remote HDD attached to it. If my MacBook dropped in a pool the data would be safe.
Having both SD cards in a DSLR and then that dropping in a pool would result in total loss ;)

But there is a flip side to this situation, you should always backup your data off the device that is being backed up (for added security)... so for example my MacBook Pro is backed up to a AirPort Extreme which has a remote HDD attached to it. If my MacBook dropped in a pool the data would be safe.
Having both SD cards in a DSLR and then that dropping in a pool would result in total loss ;)

Yeah, but then common sense should come into play, Im not going to be standing on the edge of a pool with a ultrawide lens waiting to fall in. I empty my cards after every shoot onto my PC and then thats backed up. You could always go steps further.

The thing with Sony is that they innovate and some stuff are a fail while others they succeed. I think their camera division will succeed and go toe to toe with canikon. They have the right ingredients. They just got to employ better chef and waitress to market it.

lets be honest here guys the sony cameras are fab sure there is a few little things that everyone would change but as I have always said there is no perfect camera to do everything imho likewise no lens that does everything......... and there probably never will be if manufacturers have any sense lol

The thing with Sony is that they innovate and some stuff are a fail while others they succeed. I think their camera division will succeed and go toe to toe with canikon. They have the right ingredients. They just got to employ better chef and waitress to market it.

Its not just about marketing, if they want to play with the big dogs they need to concentrate on whats important to photographers. They are getting there but historically theyve done some VERY strange things. (I know this because Ive bought most of them, since their DSLR days).

lets be honest here guys the sony cameras are fab sure there is a few little things that everyone would change but as I have always said there is no perfect camera to do everything imho likewise no lens that does everything......... and there probably never will be if manufacturers have any sense lol

Yeah, people buy the camera that suits. I like the way Sony pushes R&D but at the same time they drop long time users in order to do so. They are more of a camera seller than a system seller. Im hoping that will change with FE, seems to be going alright so far.

Of course its not a deal breaker but it depends if you want that built in insurance or if you want to faff with other methods or possibly even lose clients because of failure, its not just backup, a 2nd slot can act as a jpg slot, overflow or video. Youre not just covering yourself with 2 cards but also have 2 slots if the one failed. I really wouldnt say its a small detail but perhaps some arent concerned. I always back my computer up, why wouldnt I 'back my camera up'.

Come on @twist, you've owned 437 different cameras ;0) How many of them had single card slots and of those, how many did you have failures as a result? I know it's law of averages and an in-camera backup is a benefit but I still believe it's not a deal breaker 'if' the rest of the system offers you more benefits.

I think the complaints about battery life are equally overblown. A DSLR battery will obviously last longer because it's bigger and isn't powering an EVF/lcd for the majority of the time. However, a DSLR battery will also go flat and could still fail at the most annoying moment so it's the responsibility of the photographer to monitor their kit and swap the battery when it's low. I carry a few spare batteries for my Sony kit in my pocket, it's not like they're so heavy you have to cart them in a bag.

I think more people should be focussed on the AF performance and it's limitations because that will have a greater effect on getting the shot than most other pieces.

Last edited:
Come on @twist, you've owned 437 different cameras. How many of them had single card slots and of those, how many did you have failures as a result? I know it's law of averages and an in-camera backup is a benefit but I still believe it's not a deal breaker 'if' the rest of the system offers you more benefits.

I think the complaints about battery life are equally overblown. A DSLR battery will obviously last longer because it's bigger and isn't powering an EVF/lcd for the majority of the time. However, a DSLR battery will also go flat and could still fail at the most annoying moment so it's the responsibility of the photographer to monitor their kit and swap the battery when it's low. I carry a few spare batteries for my Sony kit in my pocket, it's not like they're so heavy you have to cart them in a bag.

The lower end stuff had single slots and thats fine, Ive had probably 3-4 card failures, mostly Sandisk. Like I said, my work and serious camera has 2 slots, my A7 has one. I CHOOSE not to put my main cameras files at risk. We’ve discussed the benefits already, no need to go through them again. If you dont believe its a dealbreaker thats fine by me. Take the extra risk.

What kind of serious photographer doesnt have a spare battery, you arent going to lose a days shooting during a battery change but it can also be annoying. But you have to carry 10 batteries to get to what I can average on 2 batteries and if I had a D4 you would need to carry 15 to my 1 battery. Again, it means no stopping.

Look, if you’re happy with the way you get on then thats all that matters.

Last edited:
The lower end stuff had single slots and thats fine, Ive had probably 3-4 card failures, mostly Sandisk. Like I said, my work and serious camera has 2 slots, my A7 has one. I CHOOSE not to put my main cameras files at risk. We’ve discussed the benefits already, no need to go through them again. If you dont believe its a dealbreaker thats fine by me. Take the extra risk.

What kind of serious photographer doesnt have a spare battery, you arent going to lose a days shooting during a battery change? But you have to carry 10 batteries to get to what I can average on 2 batteries and if I had a D4 you would need to carry 15 to my 1 battery. Again, it means no stopping.

Look, if you’re happy with the way you get on then thats all that matters.
What type of pro work do you do?

What type of pro work do you do?

Do we have to go through this again? Ive told you here, Ive told you on AVForums. You seem to be the only person Ive told that has to be reminded on a monthly basis. In any case, why should only pros see a dual slot as useful? Im sure youd be pleased if your slot or card goes when youre in the Amazon and you lose all those photos?

Last edited:
I'm not going over old ground Twist but be realistic. I've never used more than 3 batteries in a whole day with mirrorless compared to 2 with my Canon kit. I agree that when I'm earning my pay from photography it needs to work and deliver results but my original post was more aimed towards hobbyists who get themselves worked up over Internet stories about Sony batteries failing after 10 minutes with no notice (sarcasm) and a memory card failing on each shoot meaning that they can't get that shot of their breakfast they really wanted to take with their £3k of kit ;0) (again, sarcasm!)

Do we have to go through this again? Ive told you here, Ive told you on AVForums. You seem to be the only person Ive told that has to be reminded on a monthly basis. In any case, why should only pros see a dual slot as useful? Im sure youd be pleased if your slot or card goes when youre in the Amazon and you lose all those photos?
Don't remember you ever telling me. All I remember is that you shoot casual portraits. You are a bit of a mystery man!

I'm not going over old ground Twist but be realistic. I've never used more than 3 batteries in a whole day with mirrorless compared to 2 with my Canon kit. I agree that when I'm earning my pay from photography it needs to work and deliver results but my original post was more aimed towards hobbyists who get themselves worked up over Internet stories about Sony batteries failing after 10 minutes with no notice (sarcasm) and a memory card failing on each shoot meaning that they can't get that shot of their breakfast they really wanted to take with their £3k of kit ;0) (again, sarcasm!)

But you are, not everyone uses 3 (CSC) batteries on average, we all have different usage/requirements, especially paid work. I can still see a hobbyist wanting dual slots for various reasons I mentioned, not just backup. If they dont think they do, as Ive already said, thats fine. I wont lose any sleep over other peoples decisions ;)

Last edited:
Don't remember you ever telling me. All I remember is that you shoot casual portraits. You are a bit of a mystery man!

Not really, Ive told you, so have other people on AVF, you just cant remember. On location and studio but I prefer on location. It has cut down due to other commitments but it still pays for some of my kit. Full time work means weekends only.

2 card slots. Nearly every camera I've had since upgrading from the d90 has had 2. Whether it be 2 sd or 1 sd and 1 cf. so for me it's something I've come to expect, and do expect it to be a camera that is aimed at semi pro/pro. Of course it's not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have.

As Sony like releasing new bodies every 5 minutes it puzzles me why they havent released a DSLR size body with A7rii guts. They could give it A mount and avoid adapters and solve the lack of lenses, add 2 slots, give it good weather sealing and better battery life. I know theyd want it to have DSLR performance but lets face it, its not as if they havent put out models that havent had that in the past and tbh I think people would definitely buy it.

Alternatively, that body with E mount as I know not all A mount lenses work well.

Last edited:
As Sony like releasing new bodies every 5 minutes it puzzles me why they havent released a DSLR size body with A7rii guts. They could give it A mount and avoid adapters and solve the lack of lenses, add 2 slots, give it good weather sealing and better battery life. I know theyd want it to have DSLR performance but lets face it, its not as if they havent put out models that havent had that in the past and tbh I think people would definitely buy it.

Alternatively, that body with E mount as I know not all A mount lenses work well.

Mirrorless in a d810 body. Crazy enough to work

like I said they are awesome I have the 1tb and the 500gb :)

Last edited:
yeah they will come down when it is more of an accepted format I remember paying £150 quid for a 2gb compact flash........ lmao

I am happy with £28.74 for Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB UHS-I cards :)

I could not be happier. The write speed of the XQD card (32GB G Series) is great, especially in combination with the large buffer Nikon D4s. Since I shoot motorsports, I need the capability of long high speed bursts if an on-track 'incident' is happening. I want to be able to hold the shutter release and shoot continuous, high speed burst, RAW shots until the incident is over. That way I will maximize my chances of capturing just the right moment in time.
o_O:eek::D

Am I nuts?

Some of you may have seen that I've got my A72 up for sale, with the hope of getting the Zeiss 35 1.4...... Is it a mistake do you think?

Am I nuts?

Some of you may have seen that I've got my A72 up for sale, with the hope of getting the Zeiss 35 1.4...... Is it a mistake do you think?

Yes it a mistake What is your other kits and body?

Ok. The adapter thing. It's just not going to serve me the way I'd like it to.
I'm now stuck with a few canon lenses.

My options are:
1. send the Tamron back and sell other canon glass. But the Sony adapter and the more expensive a mount Tamron.
2. Send Tamron back and buy it in Nikon mount. Buy a Nikon. I like Nikon and know the menus and most of the lenses.will be a bit of a faf having to send the lens back and sell other canon lenses.
3. Buy a canon. Use the lenses I already have.
Have never been too keen on the canon dslr tbh though.

My heart says Nikon but head is saying canon.
***am not moving away from Sony. Keeping all the Sony gear but want/need option for wildlife shooting.

Ok. The adapter thing. It's just not going to serve me the way I'd like it to.
I'm now stuck with a few canon lenses.

My options are:
1. send the Tamron back and sell other canon glass. But the Sony adapter and the more expensive a mount Tamron.
2. Send Tamron back and buy it in Nikon mount. Buy a Nikon. I like Nikon and know the menus and most of the lenses.will be a bit of a faf having to send the lens back and sell other canon lenses.
3. Buy a canon. Use the lenses I already have.
Have never been too keen on the canon dslr tbh though.

My heart says Nikon but head is saying canon.
***am not moving away from Sony. Keeping all the Sony gear but want/need option for wildlife shooting.
Canon! Far better adapter support and imo better lenses than nikon

Back