The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've decided I'm going to keep the 24-70mm f4 rather than swapping it for the 24-105mm. Taking it out yesterday it made me realise that I don't really want anything heavier as a walkabout/travel lens, and the sharpness is plenty good enough for my needs. Not sure how well it will show on TP, but here's a shot at 24mm f8 and then the bottom corners at 1:1. Perfectly acceptable for me (y)

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 09.24.53
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 09.25.04
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 09.25.16
by TDG-77, on Flickr

The rumor site reports four new e mount lenses, one aps-c 33mm f0.95 apo?!?! o_O and three ff, 35 and 45mm f0.95 and a 12-24mm f5.6...

Any takers?

I'm sure they're lovely but maybe not for me.

PS.
I wonder if the Nikon fanboy on Luminous Landscape is still insisting that f1.2's wont work on the Sony mount :D

Last edited:
The rumor site reports four new e mount lenses, one aps-c 33mm f0.95 apo?!?! o_O and three ff, 35 and 45mm f0.95 and a 12-24mm f5.6...

Any takers?

I'm sure they're lovely but maybe not for me.

PS.
I wonder if the Nikon fanboy on Luminous Landscape is still insisting that f1.2's wont work on the Sony mount :D

intrigued by the 12-24mm f5.6.
if its sharp from wide open throughout the range I might be interested. Its quite small too.
The 10-18mm they made was a let down optically especially at 15-18mm so I sold it.

Is anyone using the sigma 150-600 canon contemporary and the mc11 adapter. I'm wanting a lens for wildlife but don't want to spend £1700 on the 200-600 for something that won't get used that much.

Other option is a Sony RX10 iii

Just a quick shout out for Panamoz.
Sony A9II ordered very late last Tuesday evening - delivered this Monday morning.
Reckon that's max. 4 working days - I think that's great service.

Just a quick shout out for Panamoz.
Sony A9II ordered very late last Tuesday evening - delivered this Monday morning.
Reckon that's max. 4 working days - I think that's great service.

Sure is. Great price too.

None of that matters for me really. Especially stuff like the colours etc. I know what it will look like once it’s on the computer.
That's how I shoot. Only thing I care about is composition and getting the exposure where it needs to be for lightroom, if you looked at them on the camera a lot of mine are dark.
WB, Colour Science I couldn't care less about.

Intrigued by the "more lenses"
I am hoping for a 20G sized 16mm f1.8 lens. That'd be amazing!!
I'm still hoping for a 900-1000g 70-200mm f2.8 ;) The Sigma one seems to be delayed again :rolleyes: Not sure how much that one's going to weight though.

My list is quite small but likely expensive.:D

50 f/1.2 GM
A1
35 f/1.4 GM

In that order.

I wonder how much the 50/1.2 will cost and how big it'll be based off the RF and Z versions.

Already have 35GM on preorder.

A1 I'll probably have to wait till it's features trickle down into other models.

I wonder how much the 50/1.2 will cost and how big it'll be based off the RF and Z versions.

A1 I'll probably have to wait till it's features trickle down into other models.

The 50 f/1.2 will likely be massive and probably have a massive price tag to match. I am gonna guess 2.5k-3k. I want it though so I will just have to suck it up.

I would have already bought the 35GM but I just don’t like pre-ordering stuff and there is still no date for shipping yet, although I know a guy who got one from Digital Rev last week. Not a big fan of Digital Rev having being caught for customs charges when ordering from them a few years back. Maybe just as well as it frees up funds for the 50 f/1.2.

I will get an A1 as soon as I am able to start working properly again so god knows when.:D

Hopefully the 50mm will be more like the RF version than the beast of the Nikon Z one, that’s bigger and heavier than the 24-70mm f2.8 GM :eek:

Not that I’ll be buying it anyway ;) If I’m going to buy a fast 50mm I’ve always liked the rendering of the Mitakon 50mm f0.95

Last edited:
Hopefully the 50mm will be more like the RF version than the beast of the Nikon Z one, that’s bigger and heavier than the 24-70mm f2.8 GM :eek:

Not that I’ll be buying it anyway ;) If I’m going to buy a fast 50mm I’ve always liked the rendering of the Mitakon 50mm f0.95

I have always wanted try a Mitakon but finding it at a good price in the used market is rare. It's not a lens I'd use heavily so I don't want to spend lots on it but one of those lenses I have always liked the results off.

Looking for some focussing and exposure advice. I had a great set up with my dog today. She was coming out of the river and I was at a spot that backlit her but allowed me to shoot comfortably from low down. That gave me some nice Bokeh and a great effect from the water being backlit as she shook it off. I got a decent exposure but it was very difficult with strong shadows(why did I buy a black dog) and the highlights from the water. There isn't much detail in the black due to dof and being obscured by the drops. My big issue was AF. The A7R IV is very good with people but nowhere near as good with my dog. You cant use tracking and Animal Eye AF unless you are in wide mode and I only had a second as she came over a bank and started to shake. My only success used this method, tracking a point and aiming at her head and then letting my thumb off the back button just before she started to shake. If I tried to continue to track the AF picked up the backlit droplets. I'll try the A9 next time I'm there and also look at the speed of the tracking but has anyone got any better ideas on how to get more in focus shots in this scenario or is stopping focus using BBF the best method

Attachments

• 156616830_4093642057332691_1192530443423088935_o.jpg
    156616830_4093642057332691_1192530443423088935_o.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 30
Looking for some focussing and exposure advice. I had a great set up with my dog today. She was coming out of the river and I was at a spot that backlit her but allowed me to shoot comfortably from low down. That gave me some nice Bokeh and a great effect from the water being backlit as she shook it off. I got a decent exposure but it was very difficult with strong shadows(why did I buy a black dog) and the highlights from the water. There isn't much detail in the black due to dof and being obscured by the drops. My big issue was AF. The A7R IV is very good with people but nowhere near as good with my dog. You cant use tracking and Animal Eye AF unless you are in wide mode and I only had a second as she came over a bank and started to shake. My only success used this method, tracking a point and aiming at her head and then letting my thumb off the back button just before she started to shake. If I tried to continue to track the AF picked up the backlit droplets. I'll try the A9 next time I'm there and also look at the speed of the tracking but has anyone got any better ideas on how to get more in focus shots in this scenario or is stopping focus using BBF the best method
Great shot.

AF system’s worst nightmare, low contrast subject against a bright background. I’d expect the A9 to be better, but it’s still a tricky scenario.

This is kind of funny, the way more and better kit keeps coming. :p I quite fancy more lenses too, but wonder what I'd do with them. My approach to photography tends to be simpler these days - bung on a lens that gives me photos that I like the look of and wander about taking pictures of things that look interesting. Somewho my head often finds 'interesting' things that suit the focal length(s) I have on the camera most of the time, rather than making me want to change lenses. Yesterday I mostly used the 12-24, despite being out in the countryside (though I've not uploaded the pictures yet). I've a feeling that there's a Sony 28 f2 in my future, and maybe a couple of FE mount ART primes at some stage, but I mostly like the pictures my old beercan produces, and doubt the increase in quality and AF of a native 70-200 zoom will justify replacing it.

I don’t know the answer. But Bloody Hell. !!!! What a picture..

The 50mm f1.2’s vs 24-70mm GM

30A2DF8C-404D-490D-9C2C-383E5BEF6C59.png

I don’t know the answer. But Bloody Hell. !!!! What a picture..
Cheers, I think I did a decent job but it was one of those situations that you know there was a killer shot possible if you got it right and the dog stood in the right spot. The 20fps would be a massive benefit here so the A9 will be coming with me next time

Just on the 35GM Digital Rev were selling these for £1229 but have now put them up to £1410 probably because they are the only supplier with stock.

Digital Rev are always more expensive than Panamoz and E-Infin so when these do eventually hit them they will likely be cheaper than £1229.

Having said that - I notice the only one with a decent amount of space between grip & lens is the Nikon. ;)
The Z7 is probably the best body I’ve used ergonomically.

What I found interesting, and a little alarming, was watching the Northrups video comparing the A1 and R5 and how he kept accidentally unlocking the lens of the Sony due to his gloves, not good especially when using the 600mm f4. Never thought about it before but it is a weird place to put the lens unlock button.

The Z7 is probably the best body I’ve used ergonomically.

What I found interesting, and a little alarming, was watching the Northrups video comparing the A1 and R5 and how he kept accidentally unlocking the lens of the Sony due to his gloves, not good especially when using the 600mm f4. Never thought about it before but it is a weird place to put the lens unlock button.

I have used Sony e-mount for 7 years now with all sorts of lenses and basically most body types, never once I had that issue.

I have used Sony e-mount for 7 years now with all sorts of lenses and basically most body types, never once I had that issue.
Me neither, plus I’d never wear gloves like that :LOL:

Is anyone using the sigma 150-600 canon contemporary and the mc11 adapter. I'm wanting a lens for wildlife but don't want to spend £1700 on the 200-600 for something that won't get used that much.

Other option is a Sony RX10 iii

I used one with an a6400 for a while and it was ok . focus was quite quick , but every now and a gain it would refuse to focus . I have the Sony now and it is a lot nicer to use image quality is pretty similar . I think the is is better on the Sony . you can get it. cheaper than 1700 have you looked at grey imports,

Back