The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Been there, done that. Except in my case it was one of the councillors. Prat.

I pass buildings now and imagine the silliness and game playing going on inside and even in the most miserable weather I'd rather be out there than in there wishing I wasn't. Even for the money :D

Two pictures from yesterday in which DR was beginning to be a bit of an issue, the skies needing to be pulled back and nearly being out of reach. In the picture with Mrs WW in front of the blue wall I posted earlier (reproduced here) the sky beyond is completely blown.

LxnFGtY.jpg

6jyiPG3.jpg

ll0364q.jpg

Would an A7III be better in this sort of scenario?

Ta.

We can never reproduce the lighting and shadows in each others pictures and sometimes blown bits don't really matter. I'm just trying to understand if things have moved on enough in the passing years to make any real difference.

Ta.

We can never reproduce the lighting and shadows in each others pictures and sometimes blown bits don't really matter. I'm just trying to understand if things have moved on enough in the passing years to make any real difference.

I will blow it then see how far I can pull back to get a blue sky, then put it up here for you. Edited and unedited.

The lens really doesn't matter as it's just a DR issue. Something with a doorway and light beyond as per Mrs WW above would be ideal but really don't go to too much trouble. My interest started as I was surprised looking at the DR tests on DXO with seemingly little move forward since the A7.

There has been a move forward since my old Canon 20D and 5D though.

A
Two pictures from yesterday in which DR was beginning to be a bit of an issue, the skies needing to be pulled back and nearly being out of reach. In the picture with Mrs WW in front of the blue wall I posted earlier (reproduced here) the sky beyond is completely blown.

LxnFGtY.jpg

6jyiPG3.jpg

ll0364q.jpg

Doubt you'd notice the difference. A Wee touch of fill flash would do the trick....

Last edited:
I will blow it then see how far I can pull back to get a blue sky, then put it up here for you. Edited and unedited.
The definition of blown means you can't pull it back.
Your better ETTR and lifting the shadows.

I have my zebras on to something like +109, then expose so there are no zebras, often means the image is very dark, then lift the shadows. Keep an eye on the histogram but bear in mind that's based on jpeg not what can be done to the RAW. I'll let it go right to the left on the histogram then maybe another stops worth.

Last edited:

LxnFGtY.jpg

6jyiPG3.jpg

ll0364q.jpg

Nice MX5 by the way....

I have my zebras on to something like +109, then expose so there are no zebras, often means the image is very dark, then lift the shadows. Keep an eye on the histogram but bear in mind that's based on jpeg not what can be done to the RAW. I'll let it go right to the left on the histogram then maybe another stops worth.

I've found even with the zebra showing it can still be recovered. I tend to just use the histogram though as they sometimes can be distracting with MF.

Actually, going back a few weeks, I think one of my C buttons is set for zebras....!

LxnFGtY.jpg

6jyiPG3.jpg

ll0364q.jpg

You certainly aren't going to lose her are you Alan :)

I've found even with the zebra showing it can still be recovered. I tend to just use the histogram though as they sometimes can be distracting with MF.

Actually, going back a few weeks, I think one of my C buttons is set for zebras....!
Depends, what do you have the zebras set to? I set mine to a level that was one setting below blown out, so I can have ever so slightly zebras showing and still get it back, but if i set them higher I can't recover anything. Does that make sense.
I know on my A7R I couldn't set them as high as I can on my A7C.

Just a very quick shot with A7 III + 50mm APO f2 as have to stay in for a delivery.

Totally unedited

BLOWN 1 by Suzie Law, on Flickr

Quick edit in C1
Curve= Linear Response
WB= Daylight

Colour Balance= Highlight Down all the way

HDR
Highlight -55
White=-14

BLOWN 2 EDITED by Suzie Law, on Flickr

Just a very quick shot with A7 III + 50mm APO f2 as have to stay in for a delivery.

Totally unedited

BLOWN 1 by Suzie Law, on Flickr

Quick edit in C1
Curve= Linear Response
WB= Daylight

Colour Balance= Highlight Down all the way

HDR
Highlight -55
White=-14

BLOWN 2 EDITED by Suzie Law, on Flickr
Your sky in the first is over exposed, but it isn't blown....

Last edited:
As an A7III user, it won't recover a blown sky, but you can pull shadows up enormously before noise starts to become unacceptable. In @woof woof shots above, I'd call the highlights natural, rather than blown, but those could be recovered from a carefully exposed frame, possibly on -1 or -2 stops.

Examples
Fes exposure demo-05220-2.jpg

Fes exposure demo-05220.jpg

Fes exposure demo-05283-2.jpg

Fes exposure demo-05283.jpg

In the case of this image, the highlights in the doorway are blown and shadows to the LHS are blocked.
Fes exposure demo-05472-2.jpg

Fes exposure demo-05472.jpg

I've noticed on the couple of occasions I've shot bursts over 1s that I'm not getting 20fps on my A9ii, anyone have any idea why? I'm probably getting 12-13 which is plenty, but I'm just wondering why I'm not getting the full 20fps. When I first saw it I was using the Sigma 85mm f1.4 so thought it was due to the third party lens but I got the same this morning using the 100-400mm.

I'm using AF-C in either single point or expandable spot tracking, continuous shooting high, electronic shooting and writing raw to both cards.

On a separate note I'm gutted that you can't do non-essential travel at the moment as it'd be a lovely day to get out on the Harley :(

EDIT: Just seen, it 'only' shoots at 12fps with uncompressed raw (y)

Last edited:
Depends, what do you have the zebras set to? I set mine to a level that was one setting below blown out, so I can have ever so slightly zebras showing and still get it back, but if i set them higher I can't recover anything. Does that make sense.
I know on my A7R I couldn't set them as high as I can on my A7C.

100+ I think.

As an A7III user, it won't recover a blown sky, but you can pull shadows up enormously before noise starts to become unacceptable. In @woof woof shots above, I'd call the highlights natural, rather than blown, but those could be recovered from a carefully exposed frame, possibly on -1 or -2 stops.

Examples
View attachment 310320

View attachment 310321

View attachment 310322

View attachment 310323

In the case of this image, the highlights in the doorway are blown and shadows to the LHS are blocked.
View attachment 310324

View attachment 310325
That is impressive for me....

Well, I think that's as high as it goes.....
That's what I'm trying to say, on the newer cameras it goes higher and it becomes useful then, well for photography. Can use it to be sure your not blowing the highlights.
On the older cameras it's more a warning that you should look at the highlights more.

It's a shame the histogram can't reflect the raw files.

That's what I'm trying to say, on the newer cameras it goes higher and it becomes useful then, well for photography. Can use it to be sure your not blowing the highlights.
On the older cameras it's more a warning that you should look at the highlights more.

It's a shame the histogram can't reflect the raw files.

Well I don't use it anyway. I manage fine with the histogram.

I've just noticed they've changed the focus mode dial so the lock button is now on the rear, not sure why they've done that as I think it'll be more awkward to use, being able to do it with my forefinger on the A9ii just feels natural.

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 08.12.35.png

Yup. Blown is blown but sometimes the highlights aren't actually blown even if they look like they are on import into the raw processor and they can be pulled back. In the shots I posted above I did this by painting exposure compensation onto the sky. In these pictures it's really only significant in that picture of Mrs WW standing next to my car as a white sky would have significantly impacted on the picture, in the other two pictures blown highlights wouldn't really have mattered.

Exposing more for the highlights and lifting the shadows is an option but although my A7 is way ahead of my Canon DSLR's here (they couldn't be lifted without showing significant noise) it's not without problems and too much lifting doesn't look nice not necessarily for noise but for lack of contrast and saturation which can be difficult or impossible for me to improve on post capture.

Does anyone know if the A7III performs better than the A7 when lifting the shadows?

Yes, as above blown is blown and my pictures don't include any significant blown bits. I was just looking at and asking about DR as they were nearly blown in those two of mine above and though the doorway was blown in that blue wall picture.

I've since shifted my interest a bit to how the A7III performs when exposing more for the highlights and lifting the shadows post capture so thanks for saying that A7III shadows can be pulled up a lot :D

Yes, as above blown is blown and my pictures don't include any significant blown bits. I was just looking at and asking about DR as they were nearly blown in those two of mine above and though the doorway was blown in that blue wall picture.

I've since shifted my interest a bit to how the A7III performs when exposing more for the highlights and lifting the shadows post capture so thanks for saying that A7III shadows can be pulled up a lot :D

I'll get lonely in here if you get a iii :(:(:(:p

I'll get lonely in here if you get a iii :(:(:(:p

I might not bother.

It's just a thought as like everyone else part of all this for me is the gear as well as taking and looking at pictures. I'll be 60 in May (good Gosh, getting old) and I'll be receiving a company pension so I just thought I'd buy me and Mrs WW a present to mark the occasions (me being 60 and a nice little pension coming in every week) but she's not bothered about anything at all. I did think she'd like a new computer or a new phone but she says not so a meal out will do here (actually, if we can eat out by then) and that leaves me so I was just thinking about a new camera.

I probably wont bother, I'll probably wait until my A7 dies. I suppose it's a 1st world problem, just looking to buy stuff we don't really need because we can but it is a hobby I get a lot of pleasure from.

Last edited:
I might not bother.

It's just a thought as like everyone else part of all this for me is the gear as well as taking and looking at pictures. I'll be 60 in May (good Gosh, getting old) and I'll be receiving a company pension so I just thought I'd buy me and Mrs WW a present to mark the occasions (me being 60 and a nice little pension coming in every week) but she's not bothered about anything at all. I did think she'd like a new computer or a new phone but she says not so a meal out will do here (actually, if we can eat out by then) and that leaves me so I was just thinking about a new camera.

I probably wont bother, I'll probably wait until my A7 dies. I suppose it's a 1st world problem, just looking to buy stuff we don't really need because we can but it is a hobby I get a lot of pleasure from.

I find if you buy something for the sake of it, or because you can, it doesn't have the same buzz compared to something you really want or need.

I bought a Samyang 35mm just in case I needed AF ages ago now (on here, JJ I think) I didn't use it for months, only used it a few times, my boy has had it for over a year maybe two......

Yet, compared to the buying of the CV40 1.2E! Constantly checking its back order status, looking for dates, waiting on emails....!

Last edited:
Back