The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Good enough for a lot of people a lot of the time then :D

indeed, not one I'd personally carry but yeah full points for panasonic thinking and designing lenses away from the standard. I like that their 24-105mm and the new 70-300mm can actually focus down to give 0.5x macro capability. I have really liked their lens designs on FF mirrorless.

I keep meaning to try to use my 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 more but when it comes to it I always seem to pick something else unless I do force myself.

I do think that even a technically quite poor (to us geeks) 20-60mm might be a good option for good light whole pictures when sharpness and distortion may matter less rather than the nit picking pixel peeping I/we sometimes do :D A lens like that could make a good day out and holiday lens when partnered with something else, maybe a fast prime.

I keep meaning to try to use my 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 more but when it comes to it I always seem to pick something else unless I do force myself.

I do think that even a technically quite poor (to us geeks) 20-60mm might be a good option for good light whole pictures when sharpness and distortion may matter less rather than the nit picking pixel peeping I/we sometimes do :D A lens like that could make a good day out and holiday lens when partnered with something else, maybe a fast prime.

not so much the technical/optical competence that's a problem, its not wide enough for me to not take a UWA lens and its not long enough that I'd drop a telephoto lens.
I'd much prefer to carry a UWA+28-200mm or 24-105 instead of UWA+20-60mm+telezoom.

I bought this as a light travel lens, but then bought the 24-70mm instead. The size and weight of the new Sigma looks great, only being fractionally bigger and heavier than the 24-70mm f4, but I can't help think that I'd miss the extra 4mm if I replaced the 24-70mm with it.

24mm top, 28mm bottom

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 16.18.15 by TDG-77, on Flickr
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 16.18.36 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
I bought this as a light travel lens, but then bought the 24-70mm instead. The size and weight of the new Sigma looks great, only being fractionally bigger and heavier than the 24-70mm f4, but I can't help think that I'd miss the extra 4mm if I replaced the 24-70mm with it.

24mm top, 28mm bottom

the difference is definitely noticeable, more so when you are shooting in tight spaces or indoors.
When I had the 24-105mm I used to mostly get away without having to change to an UWA lens. With the 28-200mm, I don't even bother trying because I know I will need a wide angle.

For outdoorsy stuff with lot of room, the difference isn't so big that you couldn't replicate the results using your feet.

24mm top, 28mm bottom

I had the same thoughts when I chopped in my Fuji 14mm (21mm FF) for the 16mm (24mm FF), for landscapes I've found it makes very little difference, but where it is noticeable is in cityscapes or interior architecture, here that extra mm of focal length can count, and often you are tight on space and can't move backwards. only option then is to stitch.

A1 dynamic range measurements out:

results only available for mechanical shutter at the moment but dpreview image quality review today shows there is insignificant loss in IQ from using fully electronic shutter

the difference is definitely noticeable, more so when you are shooting in tight spaces or indoors.
When I had the 24-105mm I used to mostly get away without having to change to an UWA lens. With the 28-200mm, I don't even bother trying because I know I will need a wide angle.

For outdoorsy stuff with lot of room, the difference isn't so big that you couldn't replicate the results using your feet.
I had the same thoughts when I chopped in my Fuji 14mm (21mm FF) for the 16mm (24mm FF), for landscapes I've found it makes very little difference, but where it is noticeable is in cityscapes or interior architecture, here that extra mm of focal length can count, and often you are tight on space and can't move backwards. only option then is to stitch.
Exactly. Tbh when I went to the Sagrada Familia I wish I’d got a 16 or 18mm

Exactly. Tbh when I went to the Sagrada Familia I wish I’d got a 16 or 18mm

or a 12mm :D

I am having a go with tamron 17-28mm to complement the 28-200mm. I'll see how that goes for now.

I really do wish that rumour about sony 16mm f1.8 is true though.

I am having a go with tamron 17-28mm to complement the 28-200mm. I'll see how that goes for now.

I've been reading some comparison reviews between the Sony 16-35mm f4 and the Tamron 17-28mm f2.8
and the tamron gets great reviews.

I've been reading some comparison reviews between the Sony 16-35mm f4 and the Tamron 17-28mm f2.8

Roger's line from lensrentals blog made me want to try it out - "The 17-28mm, in particular, is about as close to magically violating the “price, size, optical quality” pyramid as you’re likely to get."

I don’t really want to mess changing lenses when out being a tourist if I can help it.

All the Tamron “Holy Trinity” lenses are supposedly top notch, I just find the focal lengths a bit odd. 16-35mm is a more usable range for me (y)

I’ve thought about that combination as on paper it’s a good two lens landscape set up. Trading in the Sony 24-105 to do it is what’s stopping me at the moment. The tamron lenses UK new price are about the price of the 24-105 and 70-200 f4 used. I’ve never had a tamron lens and it feels difficult to make the switch, especially if it doesn’t work out.

Last edited:

If they were the same price I'd sacrifice a little quality for the extra versatility of the 16-35 that could be a true walk-about around town lens. 17-28 is just not versatile enough.

If they were the same price I'd sacrifice a little quality for the extra versatility of the 16-35 that could be a true walk-about around town lens. 17-28 is just not versatile enough.
I’ve found the quality of the 16-35mm f4 to be excellent, but it’s not a lens I’ve used wide open so cannot comment what it’s like at f4.

Been doing some reading on the Sigma 28-70mm and it appears weather sealing isn’t particularly strong so that’s rule it out as a travel lens for me.

I’ve thought about that combination as on paper it’s a good two lens landscape set up. Trading in the Sony 24-105 to do it is what’s stopping me at the moment. The tamron lenses UK new price are about the price of the 24-105 and 70-200 f4 used. I’ve never had a tamron lens and it feels difficult to make the switch, especially i it doesn’t work out.

Stopped down to f8 the tamron is rather sharp even at 200mm and I dare say possibly sharper than 70-200mm f4 in corners.
The 70-200mm f4 is one of the oldest e-mount lenses and shows its age. If I were looking for max sharpness for landscapes at 200mm I'd go with tamron 70-180mm and crop a little.

As for 24-105mm vs. 28-200mm it's hard to tell the difference on a 24mp apart from in extreme corners. On 61mp 24-105mm is definitely better across the range at f4. Stopped down to f8 tamron catches up to a good extent.
So for landscapes I am not sure how much you stand to gain or lose from carrying all that weight but that's really up to you.

Last edited:
Stopped down to f8 the tamron is rather sharp even at 200mm and I dare say possibly sharper than 70-200mm f4 in corners.
The 70-200mm f4 is one of the oldest e-mount lenses and shows its age. If I were looking for max sharpness for landscapes at 200mm I'd go with tamron 70-180mm and crop a little.

As for 24-105mm vs. 28-200mm it's hard to tell the difference on a 24mp apart from in extreme corners. On 61mp 24-105mm is definitely better across the range at f4. Stopped down to f8 tamron catches up to a good extent.
So for landscapes I am not sure how much you stand to gain or lose from carrying all that weight but that's really up to you.
the big draw of the 28-200 is it could be a one lens set up for taking up mountains. i don’t really use the wide end of the 24-105 for mountains. I’m more of a 70-200 range for mountains. It would be both lighter and stop the need to swap lenses, both big plus points. I’m sure it would be a good option and would be good enough for my needs, but there’s just a stupid niggling feeling that I’d be making a mistake. it’s the what if I get a high MP body in the future that makes me think twice. I’d need something wider than 28mm and the 24-105 isn’t really wide enough to warrant keeping. Both the 17-28 and 28-200 would be around 1kg which is very good compared to the Sony f4 lens equivalent.

Last edited:
A1 dynamic range measurements out:

results only available for mechanical shutter at the moment but dpreview image quality review today shows there is insignificant loss in IQ from using fully electronic shutter

I don't know what's going there. The DR at base seems to be under 12 stops in the graph and in the listing. That'd put it on a par with my old Canon 5D? That can't be right can it? Interestingly they list the A7 as 10.82 whereas DXO say 14.

Me no understandie why the numbers are all over the place.

the big draw of the 28-200 is it could be a one lens set up for taking up mountains. i don’t really use the wide end of the 24-105 for mountains. It would be both lighter and stop the need to swap lenses, both big plus points. I’m sure it would be a good option and would be good enough for my needs, but there’s just a stupid niggling feeling that I’d be making a mistake. it’s the what if I get a high MP body in the future that makes me think twice. I’d need something wider than 28mm and the 24-105 isn’t really wide enough to warrant keeping.

its not like its terrible on 61mp, stopped down its pretty competent tbh.
If you mostly care about long end then its quite good for that. the tamron 70-180mm is also an option, its the sharpest one compared to the other two 70-200mm options.

I don't know what's going there. The DR at base seems to be under 12 stops in the graph and in the listing. That'd put it on a par with my old Canon 5D? That can't be right can it? Interestingly they list the A7 as 10.82 whereas DXO say 14.

Me no understandie why the numbers are all over the place.

numbers aren't all over the place, its that they are on two different scales.
you can't directly compare DXO numbers with Bill's number unless you convert one from the other (results of which he has also published on his website if you want to a comparison between two data sets)

Bill's explained it on dpreview:

numbers aren't all over the place, its that they are on two different scales.
you can't directly compare DXO numbers with Bill's number unless you convert one from the other (results of which he has also published on his website if you want to a comparison between two data sets)

Bill's explained it on dpreview:
I don’t profess to understand a great deal of that tbh, but it’s apparent that both have their place. As I read it DXO provides an absolute score and therefore what the sensor is truly capable of, whereas Bill’s site shows you what you’re likely to get in the real world, is this a fair summation?

I don’t profess to understand a great deal of that tbh, but it’s apparent that both have their place. As I read it DXO provides an absolute score and therefore what the sensor is truly capable of, whereas Bill’s site shows you what you’re likely to get in the real world, is this a fair summation?

pretty much, DXO's is the "engineering" dynamic range which is what Sony quote when they say you get 15-stops or whatever their marketing claims these days. in reality you do not get anywhere close to that.

but issue I have with DXO is its inconsistencies and inaccuracies with their data plus lack of transparency on how they got it all of which we discussed recently :)

What I don’t understand is that on both sites the DR is higher at ISO 50 than ISO 100, how can DR be better at an extended ISO?

What I don’t understand is that on both sites the DR is higher at ISO 50 than ISO 100, how can DR be better at an extended ISO?

I wouldn't say higher in most cases it seems to be the same (or within the error margins to be considered the same).
though I am sure I have seen the odd one or two where it's been higher.
Unfortunately I do not have the answer for this, but Bill does respond to emails or private messages on dpreview. by all means ping him and he might respond with an answer.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say higher in most cases it seems to be the same (or within the error margins to be considered the same).
though I am sure I have seen the odd one or two where it's been higher.
Unfortunately I do not have the answer for this, but Bill does respond to emails or private messages on dpreview. by all means ping him and he might respond with an answer.
They are on DXO, which does make you question the methods.

E8CF5A30-BA4A-4704-80C8-22B979A37B88.png

I don’t really want to mess changing lenses when out being a tourist if I can help it.
I'd like a APS 10mm-70mm or 15mm-85mm FF but they wouldn't make it even if it was feasible, as they want to sell two lenses instead of one.

Last edited:
So buy the Amazon one because it will be good enough. Lol
That is pretty much what I took from it. I would get if there was something innovative about the bag but it is a shoulder bag pretty much. Some will want the option of the cheaper bag with lesser material and some will want a more premium bag from a known and trusted manufacturer. Two slightly different markets for me.

Back