The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

would certainly be interested in the results from this attachment. Well if your friends services are available to more people than just yourself I'd be pretty interested in something like this. especially the UWA attachment for a small RX100 style camera.

It think it would depend on which model of RX100, I have a M6 at the moment with the 24-200 equivalent lens (F/F terms) and it would be fairly difficult to do I should imagine as there is no filter thread as such to screw the attachment on. I don't know about the earlier models of RX100. I know there is some sort of stick on gubbins that can then take a filter etc that might do the job but I personally have never bothered with that. It's certainly a possibility of something I might look into. There is however rumoured to be two new models of RX100M8 on the imminent horizon, one with a 20mm equivalent (F/F terms) which is something I am extremely interested in.

A Fred Miranda thread on the Sony 28-60mm f4-5.6...

That looks quite good to me.

He says...

"Since I received the FE 28-60mm, I've been impressed by its resolution and contrast, especially when we factor size and price.

I will be testing it against some of my lenses and today I will start comparing it to a lens I've been using for landscapes for a long time, the Voigtlander 40/1.2.

It's incredible that the Sony 28-60mm @42mm not only comes close to the prime, it actually does better in the corners."

No surprise there. The 40mm f1.2 is a nice lens but the corners are mushy, not as mushy as the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 but not up to something like the Sony 35mm f2.8 which I compared mine to. It's impressive that this zoom does so well though.

And...

"The FE 28-60mm @40mm is already optimal at f/5.6 which is wide open starting at 40mm."

More...

"The optimal apertures for my copy which is surprisingly well centered at 28/40/60:

28mm (f/4.5)
40mm (f/5.6)
60mm (f/7.1)

At these apertures, the 28-60mm maintains similar IQ throughout the range. I would not hesitate using it for serious landscape photography. So far I have not seen issues with flare resistance and I do not know how its sunstar looks like. CA is well controlled."
I’ve only read good reports of this lens. With hindsight I regret buying my A7C as body-only.

I’ve only read good reports of this lens. With hindsight I regret buying my A7C as body-only.

Must admit that if I was buying a camera with this possibly included that's the option I'd choose.

I ended up reading this review as I was sure I read that it was a decent lens but Fstoppers has a review saying it's not worth even the price you pay for the lens when bundled with a body. Maybe they got a duff one.

I do think that the old 28-70mm kit lens is a good lens but others seem to trash it.

I do think that the old 28-70mm kit lens is a good lens but others seem to trash it.

I wonder if it started out badly and they tweaked manufacturing to remove the suck? I've seen some really good shots posted with it that look nothing like some of the pictures from early reviews, with smeary sides and corners.

I wonder if it started out badly and they tweaked manufacturing to remove the suck? I've seen some really good shots posted with it that look nothing like some of the pictures from early reviews, with smeary sides and corners.

may be it just has more sample variation. being the kit lens they probably didn't spend a huge lot on QC.

I can't shake my desire for a Sigma 35mm 1.4. An old photo pinged up on my Facebook from when I previous had this lens and I love the photo! As much as I like the Sony 24-105mm, it was really more for panos and video work. I want something for walkabout and I miss how a prime makes you move to get the composition, the results inevitably end up better in my experience.

My only concern is af speed of all that glass?

I can't shake my desire for a Sigma 35mm 1.4. An old photo pinged up on my Facebook from when I previous had this lens and I love the photo! As much as I like the Sony 24-105mm, it was really more for panos and video work. I want something for walkabout and I miss how a prime makes you move to get the composition, the results inevitably end up better in my experience.

It's very good lens and its much better on mirrorless bodies than it ever was on DSLR's as there is no issues with a.f accuracy. I only recently sold mine, image quality is great, yeah it doesn't have as fast a.f as the 35GM, the Sigma 35 f/1.2 or the very fast Sony 35 f/1.8 but I used mine for a couple of years for weddings and had no compliants really. I only ended up moving it on as it's quite a big, heavy lens for 35mm and I had stopped using it.

Also bear in mind it's not a DN lens so it's an old converted design so AF usually suffers a bit there as well.

It think it would depend on which model of RX100, I have a M6 at the moment with the 24-200 equivalent lens (F/F terms) and it would be fairly difficult to do I should imagine as there is no filter thread as such to screw the attachment on. I don't know about the earlier models of RX100. I know there is some sort of stick on gubbins that can then take a filter etc that might do the job but I personally have never bothered with that. It's certainly a possibility of something I might look into. There is however rumoured to be two new models of RX100M8 on the imminent horizon, one with a 20mm equivalent (F/F terms) which is something I am extremely interested in.
Yes I'd also want the RX100M6.
What I want to do is to have it converted to shooting Infrared. If I can get decent attachment for UWA it'd be a perfect all-in-one infrared camera. Since all infrared shooting happens in the sun when there plenty of light and infrared radiation, 1" sensor is great for keeping things light but getting great quality.
The filter attachment for RX100 bodies works pretty well. I have used it in the past. So I'd be using that to attach the extra adapter.

Mine must be an early one as I preordered the camera and lens package before they hit the shops.

I have no complaints about it, it seems to be a perfectly acceptable and good even variable aperture zoom.

Now I've had my Sigma 35 f2 for a few days the only real downside I can find is the lovely manual focus ring makes me wish I'd bought a Voigtlander!

Now I've had my Sigma 35 f2 for a few days the only real downside I can find is the lovely manual focus ring makes me wish I'd bought a Voigtlander!
If you think the Voigtlander focus ring is good (and it’s very good), wait till you try a Loxia. Simply orgasmic!

Lucky you! :D

I keep looking at this lens and also the 65mm but I have too many lenses and have the Sony 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's so something would have to go if I got any of these new Sigma f2's.

The e mount Voigtlanders are lovely things but maybe aiming at a slightly different market. Actually apart from the Voigtlander apo lenses the Sigmas probably offer better overall image quality (rather than a pleasing look) than the f1.2 Voigtlanders, looking at the results on Fred Miranda the Sigma 35mm f2 certainly looks sharper into the corners.

I keep looking at this lens and also the 65mm but I have too many lenses and have the Sony 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's so something would have to go if I got any of these new Sigma f2's.

The e mount Voigtlanders are lovely things but maybe aiming at a slightly different market. Actually apart from the Voigtlander apo lenses the Sigmas probably offer better overall image quality (rather than a pleasing look) than the f1.2 Voigtlanders, looking at the results on Fred Miranda the Sigma 35mm f2 certainly looks sharper into the corners.

The 65 is tempting me too but I'd have to offload my 50 1.4 to justify it, though it would save me getting an 85, so maybe it's actually a money saving exercise?!? They really are nice to use and feel well made. I think Sigma are offering something a bit different and it's paying off.

Yeah but sharper at f2 or sharper wide open.

Saving up for the Voigtlander 35 f1.2 now, next lens on the list.

Yeah but sharper at f2 or sharper wide open.

Saving up for the Voigtlander 35 f1.2 now, next lens on the list.

One issue with the f1.2 Voigtlanders seems to be sharpness into the corners no matter what the aperture. In maybe the vast majority of pictures it wont matter to many people as when do we really need the corners to be sharp? For me it's almost never which is why I still use the 35mm f1.4 despite it being worse (much worse) than the 40mm f1.2 into the corners but other lenses do seem to be able to manage to avoid the mushy corners with some of the Sony and Sigma lenses being excellent into the extreme corners.

As I keep saying, the Voigtlander 50mm f2 is IMO a very good lens and I expect the 35mm f2 apo to be very good too and I would be tempted but as I have the V 35mm f1.4 and the 40mm f1.2 (which I hardly ever use) not to mention the 50mm f2 buying the 35mm f2 would be a bit mad.

PS.
Is the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 only available as SE?

Last edited:
The 65 is tempting me too but I'd have to offload my 50 1.4 to justify it, though it would save me getting an 85, so maybe it's actually a money saving exercise?!? They really are nice to use and feel well made. I think Sigma are offering something a bit different and it's paying off.

I bought the 55mm f1.8 because 50 used to be my most used prime but I seem to have shifted to 35mm now. I bought the 85mm f1.8 because I used to have one in my DSLR days but these days I find it too long, way too long for indoor use and mostly too long outdoors too for anything but a half body or tighter picture so 65mm could be a better fit with a 35mm and enable me to sell my little used 55 and 85mm lenses. Having three modern AF 35mm's would be mad so if going for the 35mm f2 I'd need to look at my Sony f1.8 and f2.8 but I don't think I could sell the f2.8 as it makes for a very compact camera and lens set up.

I agree that Sigma seem to be doing interesting things. Some seem disappointed whilst some seem relieved that the new f2 lenses don't seem to be going as far for the bokeh look as the 45mm but perhaps the reported focusing issues with that lens persuaded Sigma to tone things down a bit.

Question I have set back button focus but have to press it twice for the focus to kick in what I have set wrong please.

Rob.
found it I had Just AF on and needed AF on + tracking .

Last edited:
My 35GM has been shipped by Panamoz but they are advising 2 weeks for delivery, which to be fair I expected. It is being sent by Fedex which I think is a first for anything I have ordered from them they usually ship to me using TNT. Maybe it will yet arrive before @nandbytes receives his. :p

Last edited:
One issue with the f1.2 Voigtlanders seems to be sharpness into the corners no matter what the aperture. In maybe the vast majority of pictures it wont matter to many people as when do we really need the corners to be sharp? For me it's almost never which is why I still use the 35mm f1.4 despite it being worse (much worse) than the 40mm f1.2 into the corners but other lenses do seem to be able to manage to avoid the mushy corners with some of the Sony and Sigma lenses being excellent into the extreme corners.

As I keep saying, the Voigtlander 50mm f2 is IMO a very good lens and I expect the 35mm f2 apo to be very good too and I would be tempted but as I have the V 35mm f1.4 and the 40mm f1.2 (which I hardly ever use) not to mention the 50mm f2 buying the 35mm f2 would be a bit mad.

PS.
Is the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 only available as SE?
No you can get the older versions.
SE is apparently the best of the bunch though.

I can't find a non SE e mount version online and it isn't showing on the Voigtlander page of e mount lenses.

AFAIK the SE variants are optically the same as the scalloped focus ring models but with different styling (round ridged focus ring rather than scalloped) and lacking the clickless aperture mechanics. I could be wrong. AFAIK there wasn't a scalloped focus ring e mount 35mm f1.2 but again I could be wrong. There are certainly 40 and 50mm f1.2's in e mount with the scalloped focus ring and declick option and 35, 40 and 50mm f1.2 SE's.

If you get one I'll be interested to know what you think of it.

My 35GM has been shipped by Panamoz but they are advising 2 weeks for delivery, which to be fair I expected. It is being sent by Fedex which I think is a first for anything I have ordered from them they usually ship to me using TNT. Maybe it will yet arrive before @nandbytes receives his. :p

I have got in touch with the shop manager and asked him give Sony a kicking.
Sony really isn't doing UK shops any favours if people can get hold of grey imports way before UK copies.

My last Panamoz purchase (A7C) was eventually sent direct to me using Fedex as their “normal” shipment via a UK depot using DPD got lost somewhere . It only took 2 days. Got a handsome consolation payment from Panamoz even though the total time from original order to receipt was only 2 weeks.

I have got in touch with the shop manager and asked him give Sony a kicking.
Sony really isn't doing UK shops any favours if people can get hold of grey imports way before UK copies.

Sony are shipping to all the distributors this week so would imagine depending on how many pre orders there has been you should get yours next week possibly.

My last Panamoz purchase (A7C) was eventually sent direct to me using Fedex as their “normal” shipment via a UK depot using DPD got lost somewhere . It only took 2 days. Got a handsome consolation payment from Panamoz even though the total time from original order to receipt was only 2 weeks.

Maybe with a bit of luck it won’t be 2 weeks then. There is extra clearance time into Northern Ireland for everything at the moment so that may hold it up.

PS and that's with them price-matching E-Infin, who were quite a bit cheaper. I did grovel, though. ;)

Sony are shipping to all the distributors this week so would imagine depending on how many pre orders there has been you should get yours next week possibly.

Their suppliers comments was
"This model is highly constrained at the moment and I didn’t receive the incoming date, the line is not committing."
Not a great sign to be honest.

I didn't even realise till this morning that I'm able to see what the ISO will be when using auto ISO by half pressing the shutter button after using the back button focus. :facepalm:

Last edited:
"This model is highly constrained at the moment and I didn’t receive the incoming date, the line is not committing."

No matter what they say every distributor was sent a large amount of stock on Monday. A Sony rep told me that so have no doubt it is correct.

Should have ordered from E-infinity or Panamoz. Lol

I got my A7C before most UK shops had any of those so it wouldn't surprise me with lenses either.

I dropped Mrs WW off at school but didn't bother going for a walk as the light here is just flat.

A7 and Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 at f1.4. Just to see bokeh and distortion. Oh for a nice light day.

JID1wvZ.jpg

It does seem pretty sharp at f1.4 though even into the edges of the frame, as per here.

100%.

CWi36Ud.jpg

For anyone not demanding the smoothest bokeh, or AF, this could be the only 50mm f1.4 they'd ever need :D

Last edited:

I bought the Sigma from @f/2.8. Hasn’t been off my camera since. Love it, had no issues with af so far either, if that helps?

A1 sensor review
Looks good. What I don’t understand reading that is what the difference is between DR, and the DR at pixel level? I just thought DR was DR :thinking:

I thought the A9ii shared the same sensor as the A9 so I assume it’s processing that gives it it’s better DR and noise handling?

New toy has arrived. Feels nice and solid.
What's everyone using the button on the lens for? I can't think of a use that I don't already have served by another button.

IMG_20210309_201906.jpg

Looks good. What I don’t understand reading that is what the difference is between DR, and the DR at pixel level? I just thought DR was DR :thinking:

I thought the A9ii shared the same sensor as the A9 so I assume it’s processing that gives it it’s better DR and noise handling?

I haven't read the whole article but if I were making an "educated guess" the DR at pixel level is how much DR each pixel could provide under ideal conditions with unlimited processing power, memory etc. The actual DR is what you get because of Sony trying to maximise readout speed with the limitation of processing.

A9ii does share same sensor but the processing has been improved slightly hence slightly better DR, noise performance and AF performance too.

Back