The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not really, the client sleeps when no data is being sent.
Unlimited data so not a problem.
If battery is a concern you can set it so it waits then periodically do the transfer rather than instantly for each photo. You can also do it based on of you select a photo when reviewing them so if say you're high speed shooting it only does the ones you want.

I wonder if phone contracts do unlimited data any more these days. I used to have one but decided to downgrade to 30GB (which in work from home times can get a bit challenging at times, that was a stupid decision on my part....)

I wonder if phone contracts do unlimited data any more these days. I used to have one but decided to downgrade to 30GB (which in work from home times can get a bit challenging at times, that was a stupid decision on my part....)
Certainly do I'm with Three, they do fully unlimited including tethering.

Last edited:
Yes.
I have it set as follows.

Phone has an FTP client running.
Phone is set to WiFi hotspot.
Camera connects to hotspot automatically.
Camera syncs RAWs via FTP to a folder on my phone called "FTP".
My phone via mobile data then syncs that folder to my NAS at home.
So basically any photo I take on the camera as long as FTP is turned on and my phone's hotspot and FTP client are running will automatically upload to my NAS.
Try it round here. You're lucky to get a 3G signal in many places in the Dales. In fact, you're lucky to get a signal at all. ;)

Yes.

So basically any photo I take on the camera as long as FTP is turned on and my phone's hotspot and FTP client are running will automatically upload to my NAS.

That’s dead handy when you are somewhere that doesn’t have a mobile phone signal.

There is also a huge chance of data corruption.

Last edited:
That’s dead handy when you are somewhere that doesn’t have a mobile phone signal.
You still haven't said why it's not as good as a second card slot? I'm genuinely curious.

Try it round here. You're lucky to get a 3G signal in many places in the Dales. In fact, you're lucky to get a signal at all. ;)

It is, still transfers to your phone. The sync to the NAS at home is optional.

Last edited:
It is, still transfers to your phone. The sync to the NAS at home is optional.

That’s dead handy when your are out at a wedding and have taken 3-4K images and your phone storage is maxed out before lunch time.

That’s dead handy when your are out at a wedding and have taken 3-4K images and your phone storage is maxed out before lunch time.
Your just making excuses now. Lol
Go on then, in that case at a wedding plug in some external storage to your phone. Or like I've said you'd have either WiFi or data so upload to home.
Or if you have a laptop upload to that instead of the phone.

Anyway gutted it's throwing it down here and says it will all week so not much chance of going out with the new lens.

Last edited:
Your just making excuses now. Lol
Go on then, in that case at a wedding plug in some external storage to your phone. Or like I've said you'd have either WiFi or data so upload to home.
Or if you have a laptop upload to that instead of the phone.

Anyway gutted it's throwing it down here and says it will all week so not much chance of going out with the new lens.

Way too much hassle. Would rather just concentrate on the taking photos bit. It also not that reliable a couple of years ago Onhelped another photographer with graduation photos and everything was shot and sent over ftp and lots of images were corrupted. I was concerned only for them to tell that when using ftp that is the norm.

And anyway if you can’t back up straight away to your NAS might as well wait u too you get home and back up from the card far handier.

Last edited:
There is a new a9II firmware update v3 but no bird detect so will be putting my a9mkII up for sale as i'm really happy with the a1 and the bird eye detect .

Rob.

still nothing from LCE for me :(

Mine is saying for delivery on Monday but will be surprised if they are able to do that as even if it gets into the U.K on time there are lots of issues with anything coming into Northern Ireland at the moment because of Brexit issues.

Anyone that uses peakdesign strap system managed to get the connectors directly fitted to the camera lugs rather than using the keyring things.

There is also a huge chance of data corruption.
There shouldn't be an issue with data corruption - FTP has been around a long time, and at one time was the standard way of transferring files in bulk (and for many it still is). It includes options for data validation, re-transmission of blocks, dropped and re-established connections, etc.

Personally, if I had an option to have one copy on the card in camera, and a second on my phone, this sounds superior to having both copies on cards in the camera, where loss or failure of the camera could mean total loss of the images.
If the phone then additionally uploads the images to a third remote store (either a NAS, or a Cloud service), this provides even more protection against possible loss.

Anyone that uses peakdesign strap system managed to get the connectors directly fitted to the camera lugs rather than using the keyring things.

Be very careful with this - on Fujifilm camera there have been a lot of failures as inside the lug on the camera body is a small insert tube which forms the eyelet, these have sharp edges and have been known to cut through Peak Design anchors - if the Sony is the same I would be very wary.

Also the thinner V3 Peak Design anchor had a recall and was replaced FOC by Peak Design by the V4 anchor due to in field failures

I use additional rings or triangular rings, with pads to prevent the rings jangling directly against the camera body

Be very careful with this - on Fujifilm camera there have been a lot of failures as inside the lug on the camera body is a small insert tube which forms the eyelet, these have sharp edges and have been known to cut through Peak Design anchors - if the Sony is the same I would be very wary.

Also the thinner V3 Peak Design anchor had a recall and was replaced FOC by Peak Design by the V4 anchor due to in field failures

I use additional rings or triangular rings, with pads to prevent the rings jangling directly against the camera body
Got my slide lite in 2019 so should be the newer anchors.
Sony lugs are smooth inside.

Found the answer.
View: https://youtu.be/PUOC6m3T6j0

Last edited:
A bit OT but not worth its own thread so I'm asking here...

Is there any compact camera with an EVF worth buying?

I have a Panasonic TZ100 but I'm thinking here of something smaller. I have a couple of compacts which are credit card footprint, a Medion which is really poor and an old Canon Ixus which is better but I'm looking for better than that, if possible. I did have a Panasonic LF1 but gave it to my sister when she wanted a camera.

Is there anything these days which is credit card footprint or so which is not awful?

I'm just thinking about something I could have in my pocket to use instead of my smartphone which has a poor camera. The TZ100 isn't pocketable for me. I was looking at the TZ90/80/70 but they're about the same size so it'd have to be something Canon Ixus sized, if anyone remembers those :D

I have a Panasonic TZ100 but I'm thinking here of something smaller. I have a couple of compacts which are credit card footprint, a Medion which is really poor and an old Canon Ixus which is better but I'm looking for better than that, if possible. I did have a Panasonic LF1 but gave it to my sister when she wanted a camera.

Is there anything these days which is credit card footprint or so which is not awful?

I'm just thinking about something I could have in my pocket to use instead of my smartphone which has a poor camera. The TZ100 isn't pocketable for me. I was looking at the TZ90/80/70 but they're about the same size so it'd have to be something Canon Ixus sized, if anyone remembers those :D
One of the Sony RX100 would be my choice. Still love my MK1, no EVF on that but later ones have one. It will fit in jeans pocket for instance.

One of the Sony RX100 would be my choice. Still love my MK1, no EVF on that but later ones have one. It will fit in jeans pocket for instance.

Ah! I forgot about those. I'm not a fan of popping up the EVF though. But I will have a look. Thanks. :D

I have the RX100 III and it's a cracking little camera. Must use mine more.

Without wading through too many reviews as I've looked at two and they don't say...

I think the RX100 mk3 has an evf but does it have a flash?

Last edited:
I think they all have a flash, the lenses changed throughout the range as well. I'm reluctant to chance mine as mine has the f1.8 at the wide end, newer ones lost that.

I'll have a look at these. I have to say that I'm not a fan of the pop us EVF and it does look bigger than I'd hoped on the camera size comparator thingy and might not be better for pocketing than my TZ100 so I'll have to have a think. Thanks.

1-Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have a look at these. I have to say that I'm not a fan of the pop us EVF and it does look bigger than I'd hoped on the camera size comparator thingy and might not be better for pocketing than my TZ100 so I'll have to have a think. Thanks.
This is very useful for comparing them. Mk5 would be my choice.

Sony is smaller.

Hmmm.

The comparison in that link is quite a bit different to the camera comparison one I posted above. I'll have to look into this.

Hmmm.

The comparison in that link is quite a bit different to the camera comparison one I posted above. I'll have to look into this.
The thing is you'd like an RX100 so much you'll find you won't use the A7 as much.

The wife usually has the RX100 while I have my A7, and when I'm editing it's often hard to tell which are which from a pure quality stand point.

I doubt it as the TZ100 is a 1" sensor camera and I don't think the image quality matches MFT never mind FF plus of course I can't mount my manual lenses on a compact :D

This would just be for the times when I don't want to take any of my other cameras with me, even the TZ100. Another option would be a better phone but to be honest I just don't like using them no matter what the image quality. Jabbing my finger at a screen held in front of my face just isn't for me.

One of my favourite TZ100 pictures. This could possibly have been taken with a good camera phone but I don't like them :D

1Tt8QYI.jpg

Last edited:
Yes.

Sounds cool, I guess this has a benefit over dual card slots in that if someone nicks your camera you still have the photos at home (y) I don't have unlimited data so can't do anything like that so I'll just have to stick to two card slots (y)
There is a new a9II firmware update v3 but no bird detect so will be putting my a9mkII up for sale as i'm really happy with the a1 and the bird eye detect .

Rob.
Cool, thanks for the info I'll look into that. Part of me isn't surprised about the bird eye af, it would probably reduce sales of the A1. I wonder why I've not had a notification from Sony?
I assume you meaan onto the solid fixed part rather than the triangular bits? In which case no, but I've never had an issue with it. I only use one lug though as I have the other anchored to the base plate, I find that if I have it connected on the right hand side lug (looking from the back) it get's in my way holding the camera.

As above, I've never had an issue but it's a good idea to check the connectors periodically.

Sony A9ii update doesn't look great, although it looks like they've fixed and issue with the Fn menu that I reported :clap:

I’ve got a Panasonic LX10 mark 1 which is very capable.

Do we think Sony will ever offer in camera processing? They finally got around to adding lossless compression (albeit only on the A1) so you never know ;)

I'm a bit disappointed in the A9ii update, I wasn't expecting bird eye af but I was hoping for the improved EVF view/frame rate in slow speed pans that the A1 has.

I couldn't imagine anything more useless than in camera processing to be honest. I hope they don't waste money doing that.
Transfer to tablet or phone if you need to edit on the go.

I couldn't imagine anything more useless than in camera processing to be honest. I hope they don't waste money doing that.
Transfer to tablet or phone if you need to edit on the go.
I used to use it occasionally with my Nikon for quick edits, found it easier and more convenient than the phone. I also like in camera sweep panorama but Sony took that out rather than adding/keeping it.

You know as well as I do that regardless of cost once it becomes available and the reviews start to hit you are gonna think to yourself this old f/1.4 lens just doesn't cut it any more. Cost is realtive anyway sure what else would you burn the money on? Treating the wife to a new sofa, screw that.

Not sure I would be as intrested in an 85 f/1.2, not because of the cost probably because you are already getting good seperation at 85mm the difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 for me doesn't stand out as much as it does at 50mm. That's not to say I wouldn't get one if it was available but for me 50 f/1.2 just seems more exciting.

I agree Tommy having given it some thought - I have 2 x f1.4 lenses the Sigma 24mm and the Sony 85mm GM - my Sony 50mm is a massive f1.8 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Les :)

Back