The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It’s put rubber mats on the front so I never checked it.

I had a Ford Focus years ago that leaked like a sieve. They tried everything including reseating the windscreen. They eventually got their chief tech to look at it and said they couldn’t find what was wrong. A few weeks later I had a local garage have a look at it and it turned out when it was serviced the pollen filter had been put in wrong and the leak was coming from there.

Looks like nice weather is forecast for tomorrow, looking forward to getting out with the 20mm.

I keep saying I’m going to do this but never do :banghead:

My last two PCP’s have stipulated that servicing is done through main dealer, but my last two haven’t been new so have no manufacturers warranty so both the PCP finance (main dealer) and used warranty can both stipulate main dealer service. Doesn’t bother me though as long as I get a good deal on the car initially and I get the car I want (y)

My last 2 Sportages were the same - had to be genuine KIA parts.
Present car is a Suzuki Vitara SX5 AllGrip which I bought outright.
Got £5k knocked off the new price for being members of the Caravan & Motorhome Club

We have my Road Tax, Insurance, Service in January.
Wife's car has £0 Road Tax, Insurance, Service & MOT in March
September is the killer.
Motorhome Service, Habitation Service, Road Tax, Insurance, Storage Fees all add up to around £1500!!
On top of all this is the fuel costs for our 3 vehicles.
The joys of motoring :rolleyes:

Cheap year for my car, £0 tax, not needed a service at all, and MOT £30.
Does look like it's going to need two front tyres soon though that's about £155 each.

I had a Ford Focus years ago that leaked like a sieve. They tried everything including reseating the windscreen. They eventually got their chief tech to look at it and said they couldn’t find what was wrong. A few weeks later I had a local garage have a look at it and it turned out when it was serviced the pollen filter had been put in wrong and the leak was coming from there.

It's not that. I know that because the condensation inside the car started this winter. I last service the car 12 months ago and 12 months ago they didn't change the pollen filter, they checked it and it was clean so ksipped a year.

It's not that. I know that because the condensation inside the car started this winter. I last service the car 12 months ago and 12 months ago they didn't change the pollen filter, they checked it and it was clean so ksipped a year.
So they checked the pollen filter but didn't replace it.
That will be the problem when you remove the scuttle panel cover you destroy the seal, it's an absolutely pointless task checking the pollen filter to not change it.
The seal is like a really sticky draught excluder, without it water runs under the panel and onto the filter, from memory it's worse of you park the car nose downhill. If you park nose uphill there is a little shelf that diverts most of the water away from the filter but not all.

Also if you replace the seal even slightly wrong it still leaks, a common fix and what I did was use silicone RTV and put a brick on the scuttle overnight, proper watertight seal that way, just a bit harder to remove.

Last edited:
So they checked the pollen filter but didn't replace it.
That will be the problem when you remove the scuttle panel cover you destroy the seal, it's an absolutely pointless task checking the pollen filter to not change it.
The seal is like a really sticky draught excluder, without it water runs under the panel and onto the filter, from memory it's worse of you park the car nose downhill. If you park nose uphill there is a little shelf that diverts most of the water away from the filter but not all.

Also if you replace the seal even slightly wrong it still leaks, a common fix and what I did was use silicone RTV and put a brick on the scuttle overnight, proper watertight seal that way, just a bit harder to remove.

Do you know where the pollen filter is on a C30?

View: https://youtu.be/BUmaT0DOtQQ

Do you know where the pollen filter is on a C30?

View: https://youtu.be/BUmaT0DOtQQ
I was thinking I was replying to the Focus one. Lol

But IMO no checks a filter and doesn't replace it. It means they didn't even look at it.
You'd be surprised how many don't ever change the pollen filter. I got s full refund of a service after finding id once been charged for a pollen filter to find they hadn't done it. They lied for ages about definitely changing it, was only when I told them that it still has the K&N one is fitted a year earlier that they owned up, to which I said so how do I know what what you didn't change.

Last edited:

I was thinking you must not have known, because if you had, you would know there is no way the pollen filter in a C30 is the cause of the water leak….the access is from the inside behind the pedals!

Sony newbie here, coming from 10 years with the Canon 7D... Picked up my mate's A7iii + 24-105 f4, he's upgraded to the A7Riv + sigma 24-70. Been wanting to go full frame for years so finally made the leap, my only regret is not doing this sooner :ROFLMAO:

Cracking images being shared by some of you on this thread, loving it.

Come on! Post yours! You've had the camera long enough so stop fondling and start taking and posting!

:D

35GM In stock e-infinity £1359

Odd that they are more expensive than Panamoz, don't think I've ever seen it that way around.

I guess they’ll sell out and make a little more profit.

But IMO no checks a filter and doesn't replace it. It means they didn't even look at it.
You'd be surprised how many don't ever change the pollen filter. I got s full refund of a service after finding id once been charged for a pollen filter to find they hadn't done it. They lied for ages about definitely changing it, was only when I told them that it still has the K&N one is fitted a year earlier that they owned up, to which I said so how do I know what what you didn't change.

I have 2 dashcams in my car, I often check it after a service to see what they get up to or what their driving are when they go for "tests".

I was thinking you must not have known, because if you had, you would know there is no way the pollen filter in a C30 is the cause of the water leak….the access is from the inside behind the pedals!

I'm not sure if the C30 is the same set up as the Focus 2.5 but what a pain of a job for something so simple :banghead: Not difficult, just awkward & time consuming!

Just checked the serial number on the Sony website.

:banana:

Mine came of the second batch that just shipped at the start of last week from Sony so after production line restarted so thought it would be fine.
good news.... hope mine is fine too whenever it gets here!

35GM In stock e-infinity £1359

Trying to maximise profit because stock is low and demand is so high. Digital Rev had them in stock and for £1220 only last month, they soon upped the price when it became clear no one could get stock. The digital rev stock was from the very first batch so would imagine that anyone that bought from there will have the recall.

Odd that they are more expensive than Panamoz, don't think I've ever seen it that way around.

Have notcied there has been a couple of things recently were Panamoz have been cheaper.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the C30 is the same set up as the Focus 2.5 but what a pain of a job for something so simple :banghead: Not difficult, just awkward & time consuming!

It's the same platform, that was when Ford owned Volvo so it's probably the same place and with much the same underpinning.

We have my Road Tax, Insurance, Service in January.
Wife's car has £0 Road Tax, Insurance, Service & MOT in March
September is the killer.
Motorhome Service, Habitation Service, Road Tax, Insurance, Storage Fees all add up to around £1500!!
On top of all this is the fuel costs for our 3 vehicles.
The joys of motoring :rolleyes:
We chose our house specifically because it had space down the side to park our motorhome, would be nice to use it sometime......

Did anyone update the firmware on their A7III's?

Seeing lots of posts on Facebook this morning with people having problems after installing the new firmware.

Lots of people are getting an error message saying that "Image Database File not ready" and others having issues with third party batteries.

I have purposely held of doing ours to wait and see if their was any issues having run into the whole debacle with them not working with Sandisk cards after a firmware update a good while back.

Seeing lots of posts on Facebook this morning with people having problems after installing the new firmware.

Lots of people are getting an error message saying that "Image Database File not ready" and others having issues with third party batteries.

I have purposely held of doing ours to wait and see if their was any issues having run into the whole debacle with them not working with Sandisk cards after a firmware update a good while back.
I've held of the A9ii update for exactly this reason, I'm never an early updater. I wonder if anyone's ever found a way to go back a firmware?

It's the same platform, that was when Ford owned Volvo so it's probably the same place and with much the same underpinning.

There's Ford and Volvo tech in my car, although mine is built in the UK so you'd think making it waterproof would be a fairly high priority. Ironically some of my door bits are made by Volvo, yet freeze in winter! lol

There are a few inherent problems where water/fluids can get to major electronics (CJB, AJB etc) and causes thousands of pounds of damage. If you know about these problems by browsing the car forums it's all quick, cheap and easy fixes, but for the poor owners who don't then they end up seriously out of pocket and annoyed - and rightly so I believe when the problem is an inherent design flaw.

Last edited:

I've update mine and haven't had any issues.

There's Ford and Volvo tech in my car, although mine is built in the UK so you'd think making it waterproof would be a fairly high priority. Ironically some of my door bits are made by Volvo, yet freeze in winter! lol

There are a few inherent problems where water/fluids can get to major electronics (CJB, AJB etc) and causes thousands of pounds of damage. If you know about these problems by browsing the car forums it's all quick, cheap and easy fixes, but for the poor owners who don't then they end up seriously out of pocket and annoyed - and rightly so I believe when the problem is an inherent design flaw.

There are 3 common place water comes in the c30, they are the windscreen (it is a known design law, even the RAC windscreen guy said "ah, that's common on these"), the other is the sunroof (since I don't have a sun roof, it's not that), and the last is the 2 bolts that holds the rubber stopper for the rear hatchback glass.

Not yet…guess i'll wait!

If it aren't broke...

I can't shake my desire for the Sigma 35mm 1.2 and it doesn't help that I watched a video on it last night showing a guy in an almost dark room yet it looked like daylight! But the size....that's something I'll need to think about as the main reason for moving from the D750 was size, although the eye AF has quickly become a leading benefit and will obviously be a Godsend with the thin DoF of the 1.2. I've been looking more into the DN bit and that's definitely the way forward for me if I go Sigma.

Here it is on my camera compared to the other 35mm lenses:

Sigma 1.2 ---> Sigma 1.4 ---> Sony 1.4 ---> Sony 1.4 Distagon ---> Sony 1.8 ---> Sony 24-105mm (for reference)

I'm sure I read that the Distagon isn't a good lens, could be wrong but something rings a bell. I'm not all that bothered by weight, but the 1.2 is some lump, although the lens hood doesn't help. It doesn't seem all that much bigger than my 24-105mm, whilst also bearing in mind this will extend and become longer. Perhaps it's not going to be so bad after all?

I suppose I could trade my brand new 24-105mm to lessen the sting, but it is a good lens for video and handy to have the reach for pano stitching, although I'm now thinking about the Sigma 100-400 DG DN for that among other things.

35mm Comparison.jpg

A couple people I know are talking about like its the best thing since sliced bread.
So I guess its works at least for some people.

But generally speaking I don't fw update for two months. Its better to have a stable camera than risk things even if Sony fix it down the line.

Back