The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

it appears to not be the 100-400, had time to do some testing and it's just the one body which locks up on tracking, not the lens, i re-initialised the camera, and it is still faulty.

Got my first photo with a Sony explored in Flickr. Had quite a few on previous brands but nice to get off the mark with the A7R IV which is starting to feel better every time I use it.Two exposures one for sky and one for water. Need another 6 stop as the colour cast on the Lee makes it hard to match the two images
Portobello Sunrise by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Got my first photo with a Sony explored in Flickr. Had quite a few on previous brands but nice to get off the mark with the A7R IV which is starting to feel better every time I use it.Two exposures one for sky and one for water. Need another 6 stop as the colour cast on the Lee makes it hard to match the two images
Well deserved to get explored.

There may have been other factors involved, but when I switched to my A7III I saw a lot more pictures make explore than previously.

That is a beauty! I went bluebell hunting this morning! Was some nice peaceful time out :)

That's stunning, love it and congrats on making explore. You always get a perfectly straight horizon. Do you get that purely from the virtual horizon level display in camera or ever need to adjust in post?

Last edited:
That's stunning, love it and congrats on making explore. You always get a perfectly straight horizon. Do you get that purely from the virtual horizon level display in camera or ever need to adjust in post?
Thanks for the kind words, I use the grid lines in the viewfinder when I am shooting on or around the thirds most often. Very little adjustment needed thereafter. The in built level is pretty good too and I use that most often when handholding sports or nature and also for panos where it is very useful

We're still waiting for bluebells here in North Oxfordshire too. Although the sun has been strong, nights and mornings are cold with frost almost every day, and that's held back flowering.

No Bluebells out here yet. Even the Wild Garlic has still to flower.
Around here in Camberley most of the winter we have had beer and lager cans regularly seen gradually being replaced by discarded face masks. Now that restrictions are being relaxed we will see more Mcdonald cartons and as the weather improves some single use BBQ's.
Things are looking up and I'm so pleased I bought that 28-70......

Excellent image, I love the framing and the way you've captured that light beam.

Thanks Laurence. When I saw that bridge roof I thought it would be the ideal foreground element to frame the view from underneath it. Yeah, the long exposure seems to have captured the lightbeam nicely, I'm pleased with that.

1. Hand feeding Great Tit
DSC03061-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

2. Hand feeding Great Tit 2
DSC03069-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

3. Robin perusing the menu
DSC03097-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

4. Marsh Tit
DSC03142-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

5. Blue Tit
DSC03179-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

6. Great Tit
DSC03260-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Absolutely great set, I'd love to feed the birds like this and I've put dried mealworm for the robin many times but usually, other birds are faster and bolder. Getting close is 99% what makes a good bird photo, the details on these are amazing.

Absolutely great set, I'd love to feed the birds like this and I've put dried mealworm for the robin many times but usually, other birds are faster and bolder. Getting close is 99% what makes a good bird photo, the details on these are amazing.

Thanks, much appreciated. Getting the birds to eat from your hand is really a special feeling, the mutual trust, just so nice. This was my mate in the photos as I took them obviously.

Has anyone gone from a Nikon d500 to a 7iii ? I ask because my son has been using my d500 and d600 for the last 18 months ( almost exclusively ) whilst doing his a-levels for automotive including car to car rolling shots but he would like to have just 1 camera.

I just wondered how the 7iii compares to the d500 in terms of AF

Has anyone gone from a Nikon d500 to a 7iii ? I ask because my son has been using my d500 and d600 for the last 18 months ( almost exclusively ) whilst doing his a-levels for automotive including car to car rolling shots but he would like to have just 1 camera.

I just wondered how the 7iii compares to the d500 in terms of AF
I went the other way. D500 has much better AF and the files are better too

Don't know about AF but the files won't be better than Sony's. Being FF and still one of the top in IQ, it's definitely better than D500 in terms of IQ.

As for AF A7III is no slouch either. Its probably better in some areas like shooting people and D500 is probably better for things like wildlife. So depends on your use case.

Last edited:
I'm liking my Takumar 28mm f3.5. It came with a hood which I haven't seen a need for yet.

I thought at first that the f3.5 was a bit of a disappointment but then I remembered that in my film days I used to take pictures at gigs with my Nikon SLR and 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 and these days the pictures look so much better.

Headed out to our usual bluebell haunt yesterday - some patches fully out, some a week or two to go, largely dependent on tree cover. The Forestry Commission have done a LOT of work there recently, and the clearer areas are notably more blue than the less cleared out ones.
Came across an aerial hoop photoshoot in the trees, and a dog-in-the-bluebells shoot too. But pleasantly un-busy.

40th coming up soon, wondering about a new lens...

A7 and Chinon 28mm f2.8.

Seaweed mountain. I don't know if I've ever seen so much here.

rEI0RBN.jpg

It's very squishy and unstable to walk on.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4wd
Headed out to our usual bluebell haunt yesterday - some patches fully out, some a week or two to go, largely dependent on tree cover. The Forestry Commission have done a LOT of work there recently, and the clearer areas are notably more blue than the less cleared out ones.
Came across an aerial hoop photoshoot in the trees, and a dog-in-the-bluebells shoot too. But pleasantly un-busy.

40th coming up soon, wondering about a new lens...

I saw some bluebells today when walking to the shops. I'd like to get to blue bell wood on our local hill but I think the chances are slim.

I was surprised they are starting to open south of the (North York) Moors things are so late here with often quite severe frosts almost every night through April.
The ones I saw were rather stunted and small due to drought too, but since that was also holding back more rampant stuff not a bad show in a few days time.

People are usually unhappy about trees being cut even when they were specifically planted as a crop, but letting light in is always a good thing for woodland life and regeneration or replanting creates a far more diverse area than the shady nothingness under mature trees.
Even 100% native broadleaves tend to have almost nothing below them after the canopy closes in May.

Back