The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The process for people with spouses who just don't/won't understand :
1. wait at the door for delivery man to make sure he doesn't ring the bell (pretend you are cleaning the porch or trimming the bushes or putting the bins out).
2. take the box to your room/study/basement immediately.
3. carefully dispose of the cardboard box and hide the manufacturers box in the loft
4. test your new lens/camera carefully making sure you aren't over excited around them. Just pretend you are just playing with your toys as usual almost like "oiling" them.
5. sell your lens/camera if needed down to a level where she/he won't notice the difference.
6. Repeat the process.

Don't you know I still own a Sony A57 with sigma 18-250mm lens. :p
My missus still thinks I own the original Sony a7s

Quick question

I have a Sony 200-600mm lens and a manfrotto gimbal with a standard Arca plate- the issue is, I accidentally knocked the lens and it moved on the plate as there is only the one 1/4 inch mounting screw to secure the lens to the plate and it acted like a swivel

My question is, Is there a 2 x 1/4 screw acra type plate , or similar with say 1 x 3/8th srew + 1 x 1/4 screw that would help alleviate this problem ?

Thanks in advance Sony Guru's :)

I did find this on eBay- cheap chinese- not sure if this would be right ??? @ £12

fgGmOFY.jpg

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
As per earlier post, bluebells were about 75% out on our walk. Mini Easter eggs required for smiles... Nice to out and about though

Then playing catch-up on other Spring photos...

This was slightly annoying as you're usually allowed on the grassy bank at Wisley, so our annual Crocus shot is set amongst them, the ground was too wet sadly.

Quick question

I have a Sony 200-600mm lens and a manfrotto gimbal with a standard Arca plate- the issue is, I accidentally knocked the lens and it moved on the plate as there is only the one 1/4 inch mounting screw to secure the lens to the plate and it acted like a swivel

My question is, Is there a 2 x 1/4 screw acra type plate , or similar with say 1 x 3/8th srew + 1 x 1/4 screw that would help alleviate this problem ?

I did find this on eBay- cheap chinese- not sure if this would be right ??? @ £12

fgGmOFY.jpg

Les

Hi Les, I actually would suggest buying a new tripod foot which is arca swiss compatible by default.
I have posted pictures and details on this forum a few times but basically one these off ebay:

There's quite a number of Chinese seller selling them, I am guessing they are all made the same and just sold by different shops so probably just buy the cheapest one.
They are really good quality, provides free holes for adding peak design anchors if you use them plus provides better grip to hold the lens.
Also you won't have the issue you are facing now since the tripod foot is directly attached to the lens instead of via. screw(s).
Also keeps your Sony original tripod foot mint :D

Last edited:
Quick question

fgGmOFY.jpg

Les
Double sided carpet tape works great with just 1 screw Les.

Rob.

Hi Les, I actually would buy a new tripod foot which is arca swiss compatible.
I have posted pictures and details on this forum a few times but basically one these off ebay:

There's quite a number of Chinese seller selling them, I am guessing they are all made the same and just sold by different shops so probably just buy the cheapest one.
They are really good quality, provides free holes for adding peak design anchors if you use them plus provides better grip to hold the lens.
Also keeps your Sony original tripod foot mint :D

Do they come with the screws 1 x 1/4" + 1x 3/8" ??

so looking at the new sigma 35mm f1.4, a little disappointing they haven't made it closer to the size of the sony gm. kudos to sony again for shrinking that lens down so well.

so what is next in the DN range for sigma? the 135mm f1.8? their art lens is already excellent.

you don't need any screws hence solves your issue also.
it attaches directly to your lens in place of your current original tripod foot :)
just directly mount the foot on to your head

Yes of course- I'm having a moment just now - sorry :)

I took my A7 and Takumar 28mm f3.5 to the park.

Total cloud cover, dead flat light and raining but hey-ho, I was outside.

The scene.

gLv5uW0.jpg

With No.4 close up filter, just short of MFD.

QzW6Mfj.jpg

gt95q6t.jpg

3Zc3QAS.jpg

862k2tk.jpg

It's a nice lens. Now I need a nice day to use it on.

Just received a Takumar 50mm f1.4 which is now proudly mounted on my A7 via a Novoflex adapter. It seems ok but I'll check to see there's no decentring later.

Wide open at just before MFD.

q5ILhNt.jpg

Stopped down at infinity and 100% crop.

S0msUaJ.jpg

I probably wont get chance to take it out until next Tuesday, hope it's a nice day :D

Last edited:
Just received a Takumar 50mm f1.4 which is now proudly mounted on my A7 via a Novoflex adapter. It seems ok but I'll check to see there's no decentring later.

Wide open at just before MFD.

q5ILhNt.jpg

Stopped down at infinity and 100% crop.

S0msUaJ.jpg

I probably wont get chance to take it out until next Tuesday, hope it's a nice day :D

I like the flowers pic, nicely done.

As per earlier post, bluebells were about 75% out on our walk. Mini Easter eggs required for smiles... Nice to out and about though

Then playing catch-up on other Spring photos...

This was slightly annoying as you're usually allowed on the grassy bank at Wisley, so our annual Crocus shot is set amongst them, the ground was too wet sadly.

LOVE that last shot!

I've just compared my Takumar, Olympus, Canon FD, Chinon, Minolta Rokkor and Nikon (x2) 50mm f1.4's at f1.4 and f2 and my Voigtlander 50mm f2 at f2, 40mm at f1.2, 1.4 and f2 and 35mm f1.4 at f1.4 and f2 and the 35mm again at a closer range to see which renders the same subject and messy background in the most pleasing way.

I also looked at the sizes of these lenses plus an adapter and rather surprisingly given the relatively small size of the Takumar and Chinon lenses the Canon FD and adapter is the smallest, just by a hair. The Nippon Kogaku is easily the biggest.

All 50mm lenses and adapters are bigger (as in taller) than the Voigtlander 50mm f2 which itself is a little bigger than the 40mm f1.2.

All very interesting, to me :D

I'm just looking at my little 50, 40 and 35mm lens shootout.

They're all sharp enough and perfectly useable at f1.4 but with the Voigtlander 50mm f2 and 40mm f1.2 being visibly sharper. Bokeh wise when looking at the messy background the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 is the smoothest at f1.2 and f1.4 with the Nikon AI-S being possibly the smoothest of the old lenses with the Takumar losing out due to some sharper outlining of edges.

For out of the camera colours the Takumar is the most pleasing with honourable mentions to the Chinon and Olympus and with the Canon looking the most displeasing and obviously needing some fiddling with to get the colours looking both nicer and more accurate.

Before all this I would have said that the Rokkor was my favourite old 50mm f1.4 and it may be the best allrounder with the Nikon AI-S but for out of the camera people pictures with a nice look I'd pick the Takumar. If picking a lens for every day multi purpose use I'd say if you can find a cheap Chinon, cheaper than the others, that could be the one to go for. I don't have the Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 but looking at the 40mm f1.2 I think the 50mm f1.2 would be the best manual 50mm to go for if wanting a wider aperture than the 50mm f2. If not bothered about f1.x the Voigtlander 50mm f2 is IMO outstanding.

That was fun.

Takumar at 100%.

xZ0iqqU.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just looking at my little 50, 40 and 35mm lens shootout.

They're all sharp enough and perfectly useable at f1.4 but with the Voigtlander 50mm f2 and 40mm f1.2 being visibly sharper. Bokeh wise when looking at the messy background the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 is the smoothest at f1.2 and f1.4 with the Nikon AI-S being possibly the smoothest of the old lenses with the Takumar losing out due to some sharper outlining of edges.

For out of the camera colours the Takumar is the most pleasing with honourable mentions to the Chinon and Olympus and with the Canon looking the most displeasing and obviously needing some fiddling with to get the colours looking both nicer and more accurate.

Before all this I would have said that the Rokkor was my favourite old 50mm f1.4 and it may be the best allrounder with the Nikon AI-S but for out of the camera people pictures with a nice look I'd pick the Takumar. If picking a lens for every day multi purpose use I'd say if you can find a cheap Chinon, cheaper than the others, that could be the one to go for. I don't have the Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 but looking at the 40mm f1.2 I think the 50mm f1.2 would be the best manual 50mm to go for if wanting a wider aperture than the 50mm f2. If not bothered about f1.x the Voigtlander 50mm f2 is IMO outstanding.

That was fun.

Takumar at 100%.

xZ0iqqU.jpg
Unfortunately I have had to dispose of my collection of manual lenses, my Voigtlanders and Loxia, as my eyes can no longer be relied on due to the start of cataracts. Some days it's fine, other days not so. Even my eyesight through prescription specs varies day-by-day, and often hour-by-hour. The only interim solution is to use my polarized prescription sun-glasses, which can ease the effects of cataracts. Of course, I still have my adapted lenses to play with, as they are worth very little, comparatively speaking.

Wonderfully sharp on the dogs

Thanks, Canon 200mm f/2.8L USMii, everytime the adapted focus annoys me and I think about moving it on it goes and surprises me with its lovely image quality. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, Canon 200mm f/2.8L USMii, everytime the adapted focus annoys me and I think about moving it on it goes and surprises me with its lovely image quality. :ROFLMAO:
It's a stunning lens that, renders beautifully imo.

Back