The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Had a quick play with video this morning on the dog walk, is there a way to enable focus tracking as I was videoing Betty running through the long grass and it kept focussing on the grass instead of Betty (grass taller than Betty so 'blocked' her somewhat)

Had a quick play with video this morning on the dog walk, is there a way to enable focus tracking as I was videoing Betty running through the long grass and it kept focussing on the grass instead of Betty (grass taller than Betty so 'blocked' her somewhat)

If I want to track a subject in video I can touch them on the screen. That's the A9, will the A9ii will be the same?

If I want to track a subject in video I can touch them on the screen. That's the A9, will the A9ii will be the same?
You can do, but what I want is a 'sticky' tracking so that if the subject (in this case Betty) goes behind something else it continues to track the subject rather than the object in front. If I tried to refocus in this situation it would just pick up on whatever's in front (y)

Can anyone help me please, as you may know I sold my A9 to @Mike.P and for the life of me I can't see how to transfer the warranty over to him. Could someone please give a number or link on How to do it.
Where did you buy it from?

mFyWOUo.jpg

ffs just realised I have misled a Sony eye cup.

All those years with the D750 which was renowned for losing there's and never lost one. :mad:

ffs just realised I have misled a Sony eye cup.

All those years with the D750 which was renowned for losing there's and never lost one. :mad:

I once lost one in Vienna after taking a long exposure during sunset. I decided to walk back to the spot and amazingly found it half way back just on the pavement!

It's came off a few times, each time i manage to locate it.

I once lost one in Vienna after taking a long exposure during sunset. I decided to walk back to the spot and amazingly found it half way back just on the pavement!

It's came off a few times, each time i manage to locate it.

This one has sadly gone for good likely lost at some point during Saturdays wedding.

Weirdly they seem out of stock everywhere so will have to order a third party one for now.

Have managed to temporary fix one on from a D750 I found at the back of the spares drawer for tomorrows wedding. Just cut a nick out of it for eye sensor.

Last edited:
This one has sadly gone for good likely lost at some point during Saturdays wedding.

Weirdly they seem out of stock everywhere so will have to order a third party one for now.

Have managed to temporary fix one on from a D750 I found at the back of the spares drawer for tomorrows wedding. Just cut a nick out of it for eye sensor.
I’ve got one of the larger eyecups and it’s very very tight fitting, I’d be surprised if it ever comes off by itself.

I’ve got one of the larger eyecups and it’s very very tight fitting, I’d be surprised if it ever comes off by itself.

Looked at a few third party ones ended up just getting a cheap one for now. Did look at some larger ones but don’t want to cover up any part of the lcd.

Looked at a few third party ones ended up just getting a cheap one for now. Did look at some larger ones but don’t want to cover up any part of the lcd.
I have one of these, doesn’t cover the LCD.

You can do, but what I want is a 'sticky' tracking so that if the subject (in this case Betty) goes behind something else it continues to track the subject rather than the object in front. If I tried to refocus in this situation it would just pick up on whatever's in front (y)

Have you checked the menu? There should be an option to change from Touch Focus to Touch Tracking in the "Func. of Touch Operation".

In the A9 it is:

Tab 2
Menu 10 of 11
4th option down

1625087770228.png 1625087786469.png

Have you checked the menu? There should be an option to change from Touch Focus to Touch Tracking in the "Func. of Touch Operation".

In the A9 it is:

Tab 2
Menu 10 of 11
4th option down

View attachment 322848 View attachment 322849
Thanks, I’ll take a look at this. I usually disable the touchscreen though and when in video the tracking AF is greyed out in the ‘normal’ AF options :(

Thanks, I’ll take a look at this. I usually disable the touchscreen though and when in video the tracking AF is greyed out in the ‘normal’ AF options :(

Aye it's a shame that they couldn't provide the same af as for photos. I'm guessing there must be a reason?

Aye it's a shame that they couldn't provide the same af as for photos. I'm guessing there must be a reason?
I'm sure there is, maybe too much processing power. I wonder if it's the same on the A1?

UPDATE !!!!! Ordered A1 with 25-105 and 100-400 from Panamoz... Saved a total of £3000 as opposed to my friends in the UK...
FYI i normally buy from Einfinity as they are cheaper on most things, but bare in mind Panamoz include a 3 year global warranty, they also give £35.00 discount for multiple Items so for this order i got an additional £105. i also emailed them and they just sent me another £150...

Now all i need is Grip and a Battery, prob go with Mieke grip not paying Sony TAX

I must say A1 seems to be selling a lot more than A9 did on release. Only two people had A9 on release for a good year or so.
Plenty of people with A1s around on this thread. at least 6-7 people that I know of have it now.

Even the sony rep said all the ones that's arriving in UK are getting immediately sold which is why they are perpetually on "pre-order".

Last edited:
I must say A1 seems to be selling a lot more than A9 did on release. Only two people had A9 on release for a good year or so.
Plenty of people with A1s around on this thread. at least 6-7 people that I know of have it now.

Even the sony rep said all the ones that's arriving in UK are getting immediately sold which is why they are perpetually on "pre-order".

Not sure if that is strictly true.

My local WEX got a delivery of 3 at launch and they sat about for ages, they were eventually sent back to Norfolk to fulfil other orders

They then got another 2 which also sat about for a while before being returned to Norfolk, my local WEX which is the only one in the country hasn't sold one yet and it's a very busy shop. :ROFLMAO:

On the flip side they are selling tons of Canon R5's which is far and away there most popular camera body at the moment, lots of people who shot Canon previously and jumped to Sony are now jumping back.

Can't speak for other vendors as I only know about WEX as I am in there every few days but according our local Sony rep WEX are only getting them into stock in batches of 2 or 3 at a time and that is the reason they are always showing on backorder. They don't expect to sell them in huge quantities.

I can't make my mind up if I want one yet or not. Lots of pluses and negatives in the mean time I have just bought another 2 x A9's to tide me over while I make my mind up.

Last edited:

I think it's because it is pretty much a 'do anything' camera - while the A9 was a superb camera, there was the A7Riii alternative for those that wanted hi res, so there was a split in which people who could afford either woudl buy.

I think it's because it is pretty much a 'do anything' camera - while the A9 was a superb camera, there was the A7Riii alternative for those that wanted hi res, so there was a split in which people who could afford either woudl buy.

its definitely the first of its kind i.e. "do-it-all" camera.
Still not perfect though. the IBIS and animal eyeAF could have been better.

It would have been nice if they had an A2.... with 2 features, i dont do Video i just wanted Hi Res and Scattergun at 20FPS plus.

Yep. Panamoz A1 @ £5150. Pretty attractive. So glad I’m managing to resist.

Not sure if that is strictly true.

My local WEX got a delivery of 3 at launch and they sat about for ages, they were eventually sent back to Norfolk to fulfil other orders

They then got another 2 which also sat about for a while before being returned to Norfolk, my local WEX which is the only one in the country hasn't sold one yet and it's a very busy shop. :ROFLMAO:

On the flip side they are selling tons of Canon R5's which is far and away there most popular camera body at the moment, lots of people who shot Canon previously and jumped to Sony are now jumping back.

Can't speak for other vendors as I only know about WEX as I am in there every few days but according our local Sony rep WEX are only getting them into stock in batches of 2 or 3 at a time and that is the reason they are always showing on backorder. They don't expect to sell them in huge quantities.

I can't make my mind up if I want one yet or not. Lots of pluses and negatives in the mean time I have just bought another 2 x A9's to tide me over while I make my mind up.
The R5 looks a cracking camera and if their native lenses were cheaper I might have been tempted myself. That being said I’d miss blackout free shooting now.
Still way too pricey for me that thankfully ;)

You'll get a very decent car/bike for that and much as I like my amateur photography I think I'd go for the car. Good luck to those who are willing to spend that much and of course some will see a viable business case for one (or two...) if doing this for a living.

When I first got my A9ii shooting in silent shooting to know you were taking a shot a faint grey box almost the size of the frame would flash, however recently that faint grey box is much smaller and just around the AF point. Anyone know why this is/what setting I could have changed?

The R5 looks a cracking camera and if their native lenses were cheaper I might have been tempted myself. That being said I’d miss blackout free shooting now.

I usually think jumping from one perfectly good system to another is just gas madness but again good luck to those who do this and I have done it twice I suppose but on a lesser scale with less expense, Nikon SLR to Canon DSLR and on to mirrorless and in my case it was pretty painless.

When I first got my A9ii shooting in silent shooting to know you were taking a shot a faint grey box almost the size of the frame would flash, however recently that faint grey box is much smaller and just around the AF point. Anyone know why this is/what setting I could have changed?

Isn't it possible to get the camera to do a quiet (so only you can hear it) little electronic squeak when you take a picture?

Back