The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Love the new glass, a little sad that they didn't update the stunning 135mm 1.8 though, best lens I ever owned but doesn't really have a home now (seems a shame to bolt one to an a7RII via the L-EA4 and lose the native AF goodness).

Love the new glass, a little sad that they didn't update the stunning 135mm 1.8 though, best lens I ever owned but doesn't really have a home now (seems a shame to bolt one to an a7RII via the L-EA4 and lose the native AF goodness).
I had the 135mm for a while. Absolutely in love with the images from it, but my god the autofocus hurt to use. All of the limitations and inaccuracy of DSLR style AF just made it so frustrating to use that I put it on ebay after a few months (at a profit at least!)

Fingers crossed for one in the next batch of lenses, whenever that will be.

Tareq I'm unsure how you find shooting in lowlight with the canons or a7r but with my Dads D800e I struggled like hell due to lack of image stabilisation, I had a lot of blur compared to my old EM5ii shooting same stuff same time but as I came from 5axis and also Panasonic I wasn't used to the dinosaur Nikon, the A7rii not only has much faster better focus systems but 5axis.... Just buy one, your collection of canons shows you have the addiction and funds and you obviously have GAS, I'd buy one if I was you, and whilst your at it can you buy me a Lykan hyper sport hehe JK

I think the f4 seems like the best bet, Owen what version of canon 70-200 you got is it the cheaper v1 or the expensive v2 is it fast enough on the metabones will I manage with a v1 or should I spend same amount and get sonys f4

Tareq I'm unsure how you find shooting in lowlight with the canons or a7r but with my Dads D800e I struggled like hell due to lack of image stabilisation, I had a lot of blur compared to my old EM5ii shooting same stuff same time but as I came from 5axis and also Panasonic I wasn't used to the dinosaur Nikon, the A7rii not only has much faster better focus systems but 5axis.... Just buy one, your collection of canons shows you have the addiction and funds and you obviously have GAS, I'd buy one if I was you, and whilst your at it can you buy me a Lykan hyper sport hehe JK

Or just use a vr lens or a tripod. :rolleyes:

Didn't have VR it was older 24/70 and a tripod would annoy me if it's needed that much with it... Is VR enough to compensate twist ?

I think the f4 seems like the best bet, Owen what version of canon 70-200 you got is it the cheaper v1 or the expensive v2 is it fast enough on the metabones will I manage with a v1 or should I spend same amount and get sonys f4

Remind me what you are shooting?

Sure. You have it on the way, I have it on the way. loads of people have it on the way. The rate that Zeiss are actually getting them out the door, the Sony lens will probably be available first. I'm not sure what will happen first - getting my Batis or getting to retirement.
I got lucky and got my batis last Saturday. The 25mm one.

Motorbikes

I can't see the a7 is fast enough full stop tbh.... The Metabones for me is quick enough to capture portraits .... Motorbikes are a lot quicker though I can't see the camera keeping up tbh....

Should be ok, I managed with an em5ii and it's not much faster

Didn't have VR it was older 24/70 and a tripod would annoy me if it's needed that much with it... Is VR enough to compensate twist ?

You can't really call it a dinosaur if you don't understand the system. Canikon have stabilised lenses and you make use of that instead of ibis. Vr/is/vc/os are the same thing, it's just stabilisation in the lens instead of body. It's also more effective over longer focal lengths.

Personally @littleted i would rent something to try it first mate..... I have another canon cam for quicker stuff and can borrow a 1dx off my dad who uses it for birding .... Sony maybe ok for your uses I would rent first cuss I don't think it will be quick enough though

I suppose your right, when you say quick enough are you relating to the FPS count or just metabones and canon... The EM5ii did 10 FPS but because I'm doing vintage bikes I'm ok with a slow 5FPS as I'm pretty good at panning. Suppose I need to test it

Metabones would be no good I don't think.... I just ment autofocus in general tbh the a7 prob wouldn't be people's first choice for moving subjects..... Saying that I have seen vintage cars that move slower than toddlers and I can shoot toddlers with mine lmao...... Rent a Sony lens and try it imho Metabones is an added complication unless u own canon glass already

That 70-200 looks huge lol lens hood makes it have some girth

Should be alright with bikes, they tend to follow the same line. Unlike sports/toddlers.

I hope sigma and tamron do emount , wonder why they don't, long reach

But you can shoot moving bikes/cars with a manual lens if you have a good technique. Until you've tried the F4 lens I'm not sure you should write it off immediately. If you're thinking about fps it sounds more like you're machine gunning so need to think more about AF in between which is where an A6000 would possibly be better for you.

Also, to show an example, I've just done a quick search on Flickr for "Bike panning 400D" and found this shot that was taken 7 years ago with a Canon 400D and very slow Sigma 70-300

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1454531468.693199.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/6269xB

I'm sure it couldn't be printed as large as a shot from an A7 but it proves the point that technique is as important as kit.

Reasonable not fab adequate is how I would describe .... I haven't extensively tested it

Steve I must say I am still learning and machine gunning I must try not to and concentrate on just nailing them. I'm pretty sure I,ll be fine but I will either buy that f4 or hire it for the race in March

I hope sigma and tamron do emount , wonder why they don't, long reach
Lenses can take a long time to go from design to manufacture, and the A7 line isn't all that old. The success of it seems to have taken most people by surprise. If they knew what they knew now, they'd probably have started designing some a long time ago. Unlike going from say Canon to Nikon or A mount, E mount has its own set of design requirements so they can't really just stick a new mount on an old lens. New designs take time, and they started late. I bet we see at least one Sigma or Tamron lens this year though.

Can't see Sony will let them tbh ......
Sony make the E mount specs available to any manufacturer royalty free - it's why we saw the old 19,30, and 60mm lenses from Sigma (and I think a Tamron or two?) after all. I'd be surprised if they've gone back on that decision and closed things up.

Low light like a darkness is nearly 80-95%? i think the only places with this kind of low light is music/parties/dances performances and bars, and i never go to those places, i shot landscapes, sports and architecture and nightshots of cityscapes, i use tripod as the subjects are static, if portraits are involved then i simply use one of the primes, i have Canon 70-200 2.8 mkII, i have 135L, i have 85 1.8, i have 50 1.4 even those are old models lenses, if i still struggle then i have to spend big fortune to buy f1/f1.2 lenses, not worth to shoot for hobby and buy those lenses, i have very very expensive gear and at the end i am not trying to put them at maximum situations yet, or, i just avoid those extreme situations so i don't have to buy more gear.

1DX i use to shoot soccer at night, i go up to ISO 6400, i can shoot with ISO 1250-2000, but i sometimes go above ISO 3200 because members in forums are crazy about how great of high ISO, so i try to shoot higher iso althouth i don't need to just for them to feel WOW or how good high ISO i can do.

Lenses can take a long time to go from design to manufacture, and the A7 line isn't all that old. The success of it seems to have taken most people by surprise. If they knew what they knew now, they'd probably have started designing some a long time ago. Unlike going from say Canon to Nikon or A mount, E mount has its own set of design requirements so they can't really just stick a new mount on an old lens. New designs take time, and they started late. I bet we see at least one Sigma or Tamron lens this year though.

Sony make the E mount specs available to any manufacturer royalty free - it's why we saw the old 19,30, and 60mm lenses from Sigma (and I think a Tamron or two?) after all. I'd be surprised if they've gone back on that decision and closed things up.

I'm sure there are "barriers to release" as there are in other industries.... Let's be honest if sigma launched a 24-70art 2.8 e mount Sony wouldn't be happy

I'm sure there are "barriers to release" as there are in other industries.... Let's be honest if sigma launched a 24-70art 2.8 e mount Sony wouldn't be happy
I think they would actually, although it would be in both Sigma and Sony's best interests to not completely duplicate an existing offering.

While selling you one more lens today would be great for Sony today, in the long term a healthier lens ecosystem will grow market share faster, and market share is something they need far more. I mean, Sony even made of a point of how the A7RII works better with adapted lenses. Thanks to starting from almost nothing going up against Canon and Nikon, they do seem to realise that a large part of a big pie is worth more than all of a small pie.

Yep sort of agree but after lens announcements today can't see it ..... I do hope I am wrong and you are right however

I might of done the Metabones a bit of disservice a min ago just saw a set of Dodge Viper images moving shot with a canon 100-400l with Metabones on a7rii

So, has anyone ordered all three of the new lenses yet?

I think I know the answer :D

Have been reviewing my kit recently. I posted a while ago that I wasn't very likely to be buying new kit unless something breaks and I think that's becoming more certain. I used to be a bit of a gear head, less so now :D

Last edited:
Yeah all 3 remortgaged the house and sold the car......... Lmao

I don't think my car would pay for a lens cap.

Still, could be worse. We could be Leica owners and paying over the top for rebadged Panasonics :D

Last edited:
I don't tend to order anything until I've seen at least a few reviews. I considered the 85mm, but will probably stick with the Batis (if it turns up this side of Christmas) and wait it out for a 135mm. The 24-70mm range doesn't interest me, and while the 70-200mm looks like it will be a killer, I'm happy enough with my 70-200mm f4.

For what I use an 85mm for, people (mostly posed) and general landscape, I don't think I need AF or f1.4 and my film era lenses are very probably adequate for whole images. Pixel peeping is another matter.

Back