The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

reckon we will see a super high end rival this year..... surely these les announcements pave the way they are aiming at the top of the marker with the lenses..............

reckon we will see a super high end rival this year..... surely these les announcements pave the way they are aiming at the top of the marker with the lenses..............
Would be ideal to release now before the Olympics? But then they don't have proper tele lenses above 300mm required for sport

Ok chaps im gonna hire the 70-200 ( that if I don't buy it first ) and also a LAE3 and tamron 150-600 amount. For these dates for the bikes , feel free to come join me for a donut and coffee and idle banter.

Mallory park 9th 10th Apr. Loton park 16th 17th April. Oulton park 21st may. Curborough 5th June. Cadwell 24th 25th 26th June. Le puy France 22nd 23rd 24th Jul. Mallory park 27th 28th Aug. 24th 25th September Cadwell.

I won't be doing the France one

https://www.malloryparkcircuit.com/event/bhr/

Yea man A9 mirrorless!

I dunno, I think Sonys target audience has changed, I dont think we'll see a D5/1DXii competitor this generation, probably not next either. The AF just isnt there yet to compete, neither is the lens system or 3rd party support. They also need to build their pro network.

Last edited:
I dunno, I think Sonys target audience has changed, I dont think we'll see a D5/1DXii competitor this generation, probably not next either. The AF just isnt there yet to compete, neither is the lens system or 3rd party support. They also need to build their pro network.

A6300 = fastest af in World man

Does make me ask a question though the a7rii autofocus is supposed to be one of the worlds best, so how does a d5 and 1dx compare as they use older tech, why are they so good or are they not any better anymore.

Does the AF system differ somewhat to what's in the d810 D800E

No it's what's claimed twist so I read too....

Does make me ask a question though the a7rii autofocus is supposed to be one of the worlds best, so how does a d5 and 1dx compare as they use older tech, why are they so good or are they not any better anymore.

Does the AF system differ somewhat to what's in the d810 D800E

They are still a lot better at tracking and continuos AF, especially in low light, DSLRs are still the leaders by a fair margin in AF. Dont believe every bit of marketing you read.

No it's what's claimed twist so I read too....

Every year every mirrorless manufacturer claims they have the worlds fastest AF (most at the same time which is even more laughable!), every year, every person that compares them to a dslr in actual shooting conditions finds out the same thing. They arent.

Time will tell I suppose let's see, only reading the reviews so I'm in same boat as you. Let's see what the reviewers say and let the banter begin

Time will tell I suppose let's see, only reading the reviews so I'm in same boat as you. Let's see what the reviewers say and let the banter begin

Yup, but from experience, after buying pretty much every manufacturers major CSC release for the past few years after reading the same thing every year Im a little bit of a skeptic.

Last edited:
All of the "fastest AF" claims from every CSC manufacturer is based on lab conditions and generally measures the actual time to lock on to a static subject. As Twist said, DSLRs still perform better with constant AF but to be fair, every generation of CSC is getting better.

I find my A6000 is very fast to lock on and track in good light with a fast native lens (fast in AF speed, not aperture) because it uses a combination of contrast detect for accuracy and on-sensor Phase detect to lock on quickly. DSLRs only use Phase Detect but they generally have a separate dedicated processor for it which takes a direct reading from the scene so on the whole are better at tracking moving objects. I find that as the light gets lower (e.g. inside the house in the evening), the AF performance of the A6000 also drops as there is less contrast in the scene so it finds it harder.

Last edited:
All of the "fastest AF" claims from every CSC manufacturer is based on lab conditions and generally measures the actual time to lock on to a static subject. As Twist said, DSLRs still perform better with constant AF but to be fair, every generation of CSC is getting better.

I find my A6000 is very fast to lock on and track in good light with a fast native lens (fast in AF speed, not aperture) because it uses a combination of contrast detect for accuracy and on-sensor Phase detect to lock on quickly. DSLRs only use Phase Detect but they generally have a separate dedicated processor for it which takes a direct reading from the scene so on the whole are better at tracking moving objects. I find that as the light gets lower (e.g. inside the house in the evening), the AF performance of the A6000 also drops as there is less contrast in the scene so it finds it harder.

Totally, they are getting better and their day will come, but DSLRS are also getting better every gen. Yup, my exact experience with the A6k (fastest CSC Ive used), CSCs start struggling more as the light levels start dropping.

Yes the areas where DLSR is still better than CSC is narrowing all the time, for many things CSCs are as good or better but sports isn't one of them.

I do wonder where Sony is going with this though, the mirroless weight/size advantage is diminishing as the bodies and lenses get bigger. I suppose with their lead in sensor tech they will be focusing on the IQ argument? Why else would someone switch at the moment? The lens lineup is still behind (will get there in time, as long as they don't change mounts again!) and the top offerings are still at least as expensive as the competition.

Last edited:
I do wonder where Sony is going with this though, the mirroless weight/size advantage is diminishing as the bodies and lenses get bigger.

There do seem to be quite a few people (on forums at least) who complain that CSC's are too small and difficult to handle and they'd buy one if only they were bigger and heavier... But equally there are those who say that once you put a lens on a CSC there's no significant advantage over a DSLR and therefore no reason to buy one.

I'm happy to leave "marketing" to sort that out :D

Just had confirmation, £1800 for the Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 G Master lens.... ;) delivered to me in March.

I think it's more that Sony don't necessarily want to be distinguished because they're a CSC anymore. If their bodies/lenses can deliver results equal to or better than CaNikon (for most things other than fast moving sports at the moment) then there's no reason for them to just be known as a CSC option. Whilst their marketing will always attempt to make them stand out, I think once the new lenses level out in price and more Wedding/Portrait togs start using them in the real world they will become more 'standard' for pros.

I agree with what Owen said earlier, if these new lenses had a Zeiss badge would their prices be more shocking? Look at the existing Zeiss kit, a 35mm 1.4 for £1149, a 55mm 1.8 for £569, a 24-70 F4 for £757. They're obviously priced higher than equivalent CaNikon lenses (which to be fair have been in the lens business 6 times longer than Sony's E mount) yet people still buy them. The new "G Master" brand is obviously a way for Sony to distinguish them from Zeiss but still set them apart from their standard lineup.

Last edited:
I,ll give it to sony they like to Innovate, i watched that canon 1DX thread and most people were negative, but not being in the game for long is this how Canon always are way behind the curve, 5DIII is good but its 4 years old now, surely something news coming ?
Nikon didn't do bad on their launch, be nice to see what they bring out for the D810s replacement and if they ever go Mirrorless.

Suppose some of you in hear got fed up with canon or at least got tempted by Sonys ability to use your Canon glass and there must have been a reason too. or you have GAS lol.
Love to see what the comments would be if Sony dropped some A mount behemoth, 100Mg pixel tri card slots massive battery....

what do you thinks next a new A class? or are we in for an A7000 ? the 24mg pixel 6300 doesn't play to sony rumours of a 36mg pixel, so is that a sign something else is due...

Well, the question is if you really need to spend another £1800 to gain 2.8 :0) If you're shooting as a business you should really factor in the actual return against the outlay to decide if you are missing shots because you 'only' have F4.

Edit, as above, it's your money to spend how you like. I just like to buy my kit when I know why I need it.

Last edited:
Here's some size guides for new Sony hear compared to Nikon - if anyone is interested

The 85's first

image.jpg

70-200 2.8
image.png

I don't think sony have gone for size just quality this time around .............. well we will see about the quality it has some real fierce competition at the ranges its chosen that's for sure

I don't think sony have gone for size just quality this time around .............. well we will see about the quality it has some real fierce competition at the ranges its chosen that's for sure

It's good to have the choice.

After reading the article on dpreview I think that these lenses might actually be worth the money, I mean if they really do have the resolving power & amazing bokeh the press release mentions then it might give that x% increase in performance over Canikon to make the premium worthwhile. We'll see :).

Just had confirmation, £1800 for the Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 G Master lens.... ;) delivered to me in March.

I am actually mildly tempted, my 18-55 Nikon 2.8 DX got a lot of use while I had it... that (imo) had the IQ of a prime... only used primes for the past few years, perhaps this Sony will be better. Might wait and see what the prices are like in Asia so I can get a tax rebate.

don't forget Valentines day soon, maybe wife wants a Lens or 3 :)

Note how the size 'saving' for the 70-200 is basically the difference between the mount distance to approx the sensor. FE lenses wont be any smaller than any other FF. Unless lens design and optics somehow change dramatically which means changing the sensor design it aint gonna happen.

Last edited:
well they do have a lovely red g on them best order all 3 ;-) lmao

I think i will be interested in A6300 as a fast camera for sure, but i don't think i can afford lenses for it, i will wait and see if non-Sony lenses[specific Canon] will focus fast with this camera then i will get this camera undoubtedly.

In the same line, i will think seriously to sell my A7R an buy A7RII.

Note how the size 'saving' for the 70-200 is basically the difference between the mount distance to approx the sensor. FE lenses wont be any smaller than any other FF. Unless lens design and optics somehow change dramatically which means changing the sensor design it aint gonna happen.

Yeah it's just a case of which system you prefer to use now.

Agreed, you do save some on the body when using slower or adapted smaller primes but start using 'serious' lenses and the savings pretty insignificant.

Last edited:
They are still a lot better at tracking and continuos AF, especially in low light, DSLRs are still the leaders by a fair margin in AF. Dont believe every bit of marketing you read.
I disagree. It's not night and day difference. I have a 5d3 and a a7r2 mate and tested both.on a scale of 1 to 10 the a7r2 is a 7 and a dslr is a 10 so not a massive difference.

Don't exaggerate man

Well, the question is if you really need to spend another £1800 to gain 2.8 :0) If you're shooting as a business you should really factor in the actual return against the outlay to decide if you are missing shots because you 'only' have F4.

Edit, as above, it's your money to spend how you like. I just like to buy my kit when I know why I need it.
This is cheap for a hobbies on the grand scheme of things. People take up other hobbies that are far more expensive than this mate

Back