The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm obviously in the wrong hobby mate. Unless your hobby is collecting supercars, it's hard to label an £1800 lens to shoot pictures of your cat cheap.
But none of us have these gears to shoot cats lol.

We know our s*** and take pics that some pros do.

Can't say is agree it's one of the cheap hobbies.

Following a football team is generally classes as an expensive hobby. Yet You can buy a season ticket for a football club starting at less than the cost of an entry level dsrl. Even with travel and cost of beers added you are getting nowhere near the cost of what people are spending on decent glass.

I'm glad you know your stuff.. My point is that spending £1800 on a lens because it's the latest one released before there are even any real world reviews seemed a bit premature to me but each to their own.

From what I've seen, some of the biggest spenders here appear relatively new to photography or are at least happy amateurs so it's difficult not to try and give some advice/reality about what kit a photographer actually needs to deliver good results.

Last edited:
I disagree. It's not night and day difference. I have a 5d3 and a a7r2 mate and tested both.on a scale of 1 to 10 the a7r2 is a 7 and a dslr is a 10 so not a massive difference.

Don't exaggerate man

Um some might call the difference between geting your shot 7/10 times and 10/10 massive!

I disagree. It's not night and day difference. I have a 5d3 and a a7r2 mate and tested both.on a scale of 1 to 10 the a7r2 is a 7 and a dslr is a 10 so not a massive difference.

Don't exaggerate man

Yes and the a6000 is better than the a7rii at af and that's definitely worse than my d750. 7 out of 10 is huge.

nice 70-200 for sale on Classifieds, wish it was 100 quid cheaper :) id have it :banana:

jonny u won the lottery? Agree with Steve 2k is a lot of money mate let's be honest here lol

Image samples available at a couple of places now. Do they tell us anything?

Dunno...

@twist yeah saw that it does from what I have seen tbh..... 85l though already in my Arsenal... Can't change it or can I ...... Lol

Lol just playing twist I couldn't get rid of my 85l it's amazing with the metabones tbh

Any of you got 150-600 tamron canon mount? Guys posted on DP that it works fine with latest metabones

@littleted i have it. I found it works better on the fotodiox. But it's possible my metabones wasn't a great copy. My Tamron is currently in the classifieds (canon section).

@littleted i have it. I found it works better on the fotodiox. But it's possible my metabones wasn't a great copy. My Tamron is currently in the classifieds (canon section).
Which firmware did you have it on add, the latest .47? What issues did u see just not focusing long end?

Gonna rent a 50-500 prefer the 50 than 150 so I'm covered any views on if I should try a sigma 150-600, if it's crap I'm gonna get an lae3 and sigma

Sigma 150-600 sport I have nice Lens imho not so nice on the Sony......

Sigma 150-600 sport I have nice Lens imho not so nice on the Sony......

The sport is massive though. And heavy.
I think Tamron in a mount and la Ea3 is the best option. Shame the a mount Tamron is so expensive though compared to nikon and canon mount.

I see the 50-500 listed on metabones site so wonder if it's diff. Anyway hired one for 50 quid .
Lensforhire doing 50% off so with collection all in 50 I,ll report back Monday if it's any good...

Failing that lae3

Last edited:
I haven't never used them I would be I tested to hear from anyone who has though must admit

And O'LORDY at them promo videos lmfao - "its bokeh with quality that speaks to the heart" lolz
actually some of the minolta classics did and still do that, 85mm 1.4 is one, maybe the 135 stf

i think the g "master" thing is just to one up the older lenses tbh

same as jonney mate the canon glass is perfect for me still
Yea and dropping nearly 2k just to have same lens with eye focus is not worth it.

Also a lot have said how using big lenses like this creates unbalance when operating it with an a7 but what's stopping a user from adding a battery grip?

I use to use a battery grip on my canon 400d when I shot with my L glass.

What's a good third party battery grip for a7r2?

Also a lot have said how using big lenses like this creates unbalance when operating it with an a7 but what's stopping a user from adding a battery grip?

I use to use a battery grip on my canon 400d when I shot with my L glass.

What's a good third party battery grip for a7r2?

Isnt the whole point of buying a camera like this because of size? All of a sudden youre pushing bigger, heavier, more expensive and more uncomfortable than a DSLR. :confused:

Can you not change the way you hold the camera instead? I tried out a friends' Canon 135/2 and Sigma 85/1.4 on the A6000 a few weeks ago. Instead of holding the body I just rested the lens on my left hand and balanced the camera with my right. Obviously the lenses are much heavier than any E mount lenses I've used but didn't feel too bad.

Back