The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

bright fast lens are useful for astro couldn't use voigtlander ones for that since your stars will look like birds :p
The APO ones are well corrected though.
There are lots of other lenses that'll give you that effect. I've just checked Fred Miranda and he thinks that for the 40mm f1.2 by f1.7 coma improves and by f2.8 coma looks "great." I don't know how this would compare to a Sony f1.8 at f1.8.

The APO Voigtlanders are really nice, the 50mm f2 I have is as far as I can see just about perfect.

IMO the f1.2 Voigtlanders are at their best at portrait to mid distance at wider apertures as even when you start stopping down you're never going to get the performance into the corners you'll get with something like the Sony 35/55mm f1.8's.

And a PS.
I think the Voigtlanders are good at close distance too if using a close focus filter. Without and at minimum focus distance they're a bit more... dreamy maybe. I don't think they're optimised for close focus, I've read that's because there's no floating element.

Last edited:
There are lots of other lenses that'll give you that effect. I've just checked Fred Miranda and he thinks that for the 40mm f1.2 by f1.7 coma improves and by f2.8 coma looks "great." I don't know how this would compare to a Sony f1.8 at f1.8.

The APO Voigtlanders are really nice, the 50mm f2 I have is as far as I can see just about perfect.

IMO the f1.2 Voigtlanders are at their best at portrait to mid distance at wider apertures as even when you start stopping down you're never going to get the performance into the corners you'll get with something like the Sony 35/55mm f1.8's.

And a PS.
I think the Voigtlanders are good at close distance too if using a close focus filter. Without and at minimum focus distance they're a bit more... dreamy maybe. I don't think they're optimised for close focus, I've read that's because there's no floating element.

I don't buy a f1.2 or f1.4 lens to shoot at f2.8.
Can shoot 35GM wide open in all situations and same with 20G and 24GM.

I understand the limitation of voigtlanders and one day I'd like to try that 40mm f1.2 for portraits but I don't think one will ever be a part of my kit long term.

Last edited:
I don't buy a f1.2 or f1.4 lens to shoot at f2.8.
Can shoot 35GM wide open in all situations and same with 20G and 24GM.

I understand the limitation of voigtlanders and one day I'd like to try that 40mm f1.2 for portraits but I don't think one will ever be a part of my kit long term.

Yes but those lenses are bigger and in some cases more expensive (or a lot more) and they don't have the handling and user experience of the manual metal Voigtlanders, if that matters. You do your research and you make your choices. I didn't buy this lens to specifically shoot at f1.2 as I generally don't like doing very thin DoF too often but it's there for use now and again with suitable scenes and f1.2 does IMO look good for suitable scenes. Night skies and streetlights just aren't good subjects for these lenses at f1.x and doubly so if pixel peeping. I don't think they were designed with this in mind. That issue and ca with some strong backlit subjects are IMO these lenses only real issues.

If looking at f1.2/f1.4/f1.8 Sony primes I think some will very probably give a tad smoother bokeh than the f1.2 Voigtlanders and they'll probably be sharper into the corners. So there's all that too. To me the attraction of these Voigtlanders is that they're old style metal manual lenses in e mount which are a fraction of the size of modern wide aperture AF lenses, and possibly cheaper too. It is a different picture taking experience. For someone like you I'd say these manual focus wide aperture Voigtlanders are a non starter, you'll be much better off with the Sony's.

I might try my 40mm and Sony 20 and 35mm f1.8's one night to see how much better they are. From memory the 20mm is very good for star shots but I've never taken that sort of picture with the 40mm f1.2.

Last edited:
Every year on my commute I'm always cursing that I didn't take time off about now as I get to Blackfriars Station and there is something about Oct where the sunrises are just amazing.
I probably should have booked the end of the month, but I have grabbed the time I can and I have 3 days next week.
I plan on getting up very early to capture London sunrises, obviously I can use the millennium bridge one morning looking towards Tower Bridge, are there any other good spots that I should add to the list?

edit - and it doesn't look like the weather is going to play ball :-( I just know that there will be the most amazing sunrise Thursday morning when Im back at work...

Last edited:
I have a Sony a7Riv with 2 x SD card slots- when one is full it automatically writes to the 2nd card as I programmed it to do just that- simple enough :)

I was out a day or so back and shot around 140 images ( to my recollection)

When I downloaded these to my PC I notice a few shots had not saved on either SD card ( I know this as one shot was a Kestrel in a tree and a large Dragonfly on the water plus a couple of a Curlew) I did see these images on the rear screen at the time of shooting :)

I do format the cards in camera before every outing

I'm slightly confused - can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks in advance

Les :)

Ps @nandbytes I think you may be the person to ask fella

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Sony a7Riv with 2 x SD card slots- when one is full it automatically writes to the 2nd card as I programmed it to do just that- simple enough :)

When I downloaded these to my PC I notice a few shots had not saved on either SD card ( I know this as one shot was a Kestrel in a tree and a large Dragonfly on the water plus a couple of a Curlew) I did see these images on the rear screen at the time of shooting :)

Thanks in advance

I am going to assume you haven't done something like pulling out the card when the images were writing.
I have had this before where if one of the images in the buffer has an error while writing the camera throws away the rest in the buffer assuming there is no good card in the camera.
But the camera does show an error.... not sure if you saw one or if you may have inadvertently dismissed the error while shooting (or turned off or put it away just before it showed the error).

One of two reasons:
- Bug in the camera
- SD card on its way out.

I have faced both issues. It more likely the latter than the former but recently I saw this error on my A1. My SD cards are pretty new and never had problems so I felt there could also be bugs in the camera software but I can't prove it and well even new SD cards can come with issues.

Last edited:
I am going to assume you haven't done something like pulling out the card when the images were writing.
I have had this before where if one of the images in the buffer has an error while writing the camera throws away the rest in the buffer assuming there is no good card in the camera.
But the camera does show an error.... not sure if you saw one or if you may have inadvertently dismissed the error while shooting (or turned off or put it away just before it showed the error).

One of two reasons:
- Bug in the camera
- SD card on its way out.

I have faced both issues. It more likely the latter than the former but recently I saw this error on my A1. My SD cards are pretty new and never had problems so I felt there could also be bugs in the camera software but I can't prove it and well even SD cards can come with issues.
Thank you - I never remove the cards while out in the wilds- so that's out :)

Camera is Brand new ( 3 -4 weeks old) No error shown on the camera at any point

SD 128 GB Extreme card is older maybe a year or so- I'll try a different card

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you - I never remove the cards while out in the wilds- so that's out :)

Camera is Brand new ( 3 -4 weeks old) No error shown on the camera at any point

SD card is older maybe a year or so- I'll try a different card

if the issue/bug is in the camera software doesn't make a difference if the camera is one day old or one year old.
Also doesn't mean all cameras will show the issue and could also be a one-off.

but for now the best thing to try is a new SD card as that is more often than not the culprit.

if the issue/bug is in the camera software doesn't make a difference if the camera is one day old or one year old.
Also doesn't mean all cameras will show the issue and could also be a one-off.

but for now the best thing to try is a new SD card as that is more often than not the culprit.
I have a few new and unused 64GB cards- I'll try one of those- see if it happens again- as I said I only noticed as specific images were not on my card after the shoot :)

Thanks again

Thanks in advance

I'm using a much older Sony (A900 and A6000), but the advice always used to be to wait until the red card activity light had finished blinking before turning off - if you shoot a bunch of shots then quickly turn off the camera, this might be an explanation.

What's going on with the colours of the forum today?

Yeah it's not good. I normally like this colour but it doesn't work very well here for the forums.

All these changes on the forum... New colours today? I can't keep up! Exciting times :D

It's awful. Seems like someone is just making changes for changes sake. All the little changes are very annoying and completely unnecessary. Like how many times do they need to change the name of various sections of the forum?

The new horrible colour can be changed back in preferences by choosing day mode.

Last edited:
It's awful. Seems like someone is just making changes for changes sake. All the little changes are very annoying and completely unnecessary. Like how many times do they need to change the name of various sections of the forum?

The new horrible colour can be changed back in preferences by choosing day mode.
The neutral theme is now back to the way it was....:)

Yes , the money they charge aswell. awful

Maybe the new owners just want to reflect their personalities. More power to them :D

Looking at the roses. A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

vE1dMck.jpg

Last edited:

Good to know. I just changed to day mode. (y)

I have day mode too so much better.

As someone I know says 20 times a day... "1st world problem."

I didn't like it but it didn't actually hurt :D and I just assumed it'd change again sooner or later.

Three pictures showing pretty much the whole of the beach. Saltburn to Marske and on to Redcar.

IlvWReT.jpg

Vp6hHs3.jpg

WXZy2oI.jpg

PS.
The black stuff at the tideline is sea coal. If there's a lot lorries appear to take it away, if there's not enough for that but still enough to bother with people scoop it up. Dunno what they do with it. Sometimes there's large amounts of seaweed and devils toenail fossils can often be found towards Marske. Oh, and at low tide the tideline is beyond the end of the pier and you can walk around the cliffs in the last picture.

Last edited:
A couple from today's rugby. Missed a diving try right in front of me with the A7R IV. Can't wait to have a pair of A9s for next week's games. I love shooting in the rain. It adds so much to an image and can't wait till the pitches are a muddy mess too
_A9_1571 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_1023 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

A couple from today's rugby. Missed a diving try right in front of me with the A7R IV. Can't wait to have a pair of A9s for next week's games. I love shooting in the rain. It adds so much to an image and can't wait till the pitches are a muddy mess too
_A9_1571 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_1023 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Great shots mate (y)

Back