The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I just use cheap ND's and haven't run into any problems. There are loads on evil bay. Ditto step up rings.

I bought my Hoya step up ring on ebay for my Canon last year, it was for my nifty fifty. I'd made a mistake by buying a 52mm Hoya Pro1 CPL and then realised the nifty fifty is 49mm. Doh! So the Hoya I'd bought was a 49mm to 52mm ring.

I hate myself for making such stupid errors but at the same time, feel delighted all is well again :D I can't go higher than 1/4000 though. I should probably know this, but not really sure what AF w/ shutter on or off does. Particularly in combination with silent shooting on or off. I use silent shooting pretty much all the time. Should I have AF w/ shutter on or off?
Don't beat yourself up, we've all made silly mistakes.

As for the filters I use Hoya Pro for the screw in type, Hitech Firecrest for the square type.

Don't beat yourself up, we've all made silly mistakes.

As for the filters I use Hoya Pro for the screw in type, Hitech Firecrest for the square type.

Yeah true, I guess it's all part of the learning curve. I'll go for the Hoya ProND 8. After the marathon I carried on walking and ended up at Threadneedle Street around 5.30pm. The early evening sun was nice and I spotted a girl standing on a wall at the Royal Exchange doing a shoot so I took the liberty of grabbing a few quick shots of what was going on. My ISO was still at 800 but I changed lens to the 56mm, aperture to f/3.2 and shutter speed was around 1/2500 to 1/3200. Still not perfect exposure because of the ISO but better than the runner shots.

Orange Girl (2)
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Orange Girl (1)
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Orange Girl (5)
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Getting this last one was a bit of an arse.

Orange Girl (3)
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Yeah true, I guess it's all part of the learning curve. I'll go for the Hoya ProND 8. After the marathon I carried on walking and ended up at Threadneedle Street around 5.30pm. The early evening sun was nice and I spotted a girl standing on a wall at the Royal Exchange doing a shoot so I took the liberty of grabbing a few quick shots of what was going on. My ISO was still at 800 but I changed lens to the 56mm, aperture to f/3.2 and shutter speed was around 1/2500 to 1/3200. Still not perfect exposure because of the ISO but better than the runner shots.

Orange Girl (2) by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Orange Girl (1) by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Orange Girl (5) by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Getting this last one was a bit of an arse.

Orange Girl (3) by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Sorry but there is absolutely nothing more annoying than working and some amateur photographer shows up taking photos of what you are doing.

Also the last photo, why have you photographed her arse?

Last edited:
That last picture, what were they thinking? :D

I think it's a side shot from.the tog's pov. :D

Sorry but there is absolutely nothing more annoying than working and some amateur photographer shows up taking photos of what you are doing.

I didn't turn up at a wedding though. This is street photography, i.e, in public. Probably something you wouldn't understand doing just weddings. The last shot was a bit of fun. I like her posture with the arms, the tog on the right doing his thing, and the view to the windows and balcony. Plus she has a nice arse. :D

I think it's a side shot from.the tog's pov. :D

I didn't turn up at a wedding though. This is street photography, i.e, in public. Probably something you wouldn't understand doing just weddings. The last shot was a bit of fun. I like her posture with the arms, the tog on the right doing his thing, and the view to the windows and balcony. Plus she has a nice arse. :D

I have 2 photography businesses. One is strictly weddings the other is commercial photography.

This looks like a video shoot with a model/dancer we have done quite a few of those. So have found myself in this situation many times, usually a quiet word with someone like you is enough to get them to go away thankfully, sometimes more than a quiet word is needed. I bet that guy was furious and the model/dancer was uncomfortable.

As for the photo honestly it just looks a bit pervy it isn't street photography just looks like a pervy old man took a sneaky photo of a young girl.

Last edited:
I have 2 photography businesses. One is strictly weddings the other is commercial photography.

This looks like a video shoot with a model/dancer we have done quite a few of those. So have found myself in this situation many times, usually a quiet word with someone like you is enough to get them to go away thankfully, sometimes more than a quiet word is needed. I bet that guy was furious and the model/dancer was uncomfortable.

As for the photo honestly it just looks a bit pervy it isn't street photography just looks like a pervy old man took a sneaky photo of a young girl.

They did this shoot in a public place and were probably snapped and filmed by mobile phone wielding passers by but a guy with a camera is a pervy old man? That reads like the sort of thing I'd expect from the deranged on Mumsnet or Twitter and the comment about "sometimes more than a quiet word is needed"? What do you think you're going to do? Issue threats? Assault someone? Get over yourself.

I wouldn't have bothered as street photography or pictures of strangers in general hold next to no interest for me but I can see how others would be interested in the colours shapes and poses or just the unusualness of the shoot. As long as you don't get in the way and the subject shows no indication of being affected or bothered, no foul, IMO, and for them if they're bothered there's always the option of hiring a venue and doing the shoot in private rather than on someone or some organisations wall and almost certainly without permission.

woof woof you're spot on. (y)

I agree the last shot is a bit tacky. I agree it's a bit cheeky taking these shots. As it happens though, they noticed me, smiled and carried on. So they didn't mind, particularly as they knew this was in public, no different to photographing anything in the public domain. And the model played up to me taking photos so she enjoyed being in the spotlight. It's still street photography because oddly enough it was on the street.

It's interesting isn't it Tommy how I've never ever seen you pay a compliment to any member here on their work (I'm talking about other's work, not mine) be it landscape, cars, wildlife, etc. Not once.

Yet you love to find something to criticise, and you love to boast a lot about your work, or the 57 pairs of trainers you own that Heinz probably sent you, or how someone in your family owns a Lamborghini. Always trying to one-up somebody. It's like you're jealous of their work and you're trying to prove yourself in other ways. Frankly I don't care about your opinions. You seem to be an old hand at insulting people on here and putting them on ignore. If you want to put me on ignore like you've done with others, feel free! It'll be no loss to me.

Last edited:
woof woof you're spot on. (y)

It's a small point but we have a wall which people occasionally walk on. We can't give them permission, obviously, because I'd guess that if we do and they then fall off and injure themselves or damage something and we've given permission we could I guess be liable.

It's a small point but we have a wall which people occasionally walk on. We can't give them permission, obviously, because I'd guess that if we do and they then fall off and injure themselves or damage something and we've given permission we could I guess be liable.

Yep, it's a very good point. And so is this, "if they're bothered there's always the option of hiring a venue and doing the shoot in private rather than on someone or some organisations wall and almost certainly without permission."

Yep, it's a very good point. And so is this, "if they're bothered there's always the option of hiring a venue and doing the shoot in private rather than on someone or some organisations wall and almost certainly without permission."

I did read an article a while back about some scenic street in London which is bombarded with social media influencers, models, photographers and film makers making it a nightmare for the locals. Thankfully that isn't quite the scale that we have to deal with :D

It's interesting isn't it Tommy how I've never ever seen you pay a compliment to any member here on their work (I'm talking about other's work, not mine) be it landscape, cars, wildlife, etc. Not once.
Complete nonsense you just don't like getting pulled up on taking sneaky photos of a young girl. When I see a photo I like on here I always like the post and sometimes leave a comment.

Please point out were I have boasted about my work?

Last edited:
From an artistic point of view I don't really like the black trousers, I think lighter ones could maybe show her and the curves, lines and forms better and that's not from the pov of perving at a woman (personally I'd rather look at Mrs WW every single time) but just from a visual artistic pov. It's subjective for sure but I think the black trousers don't work too well.

So you think it's okay because she may be a model it's okay for a complete random stranger to take pervy snaps of her arse while she is working?

She looks way younger than 25 to me and anyone under 30 is young to me.
Did I say that? - NO - It strikes me you seem to have a go at peoples images and yet you post NONE of your own , may I enquire as to why?

And under 30 is young to you? Ok that is your view, Not to me and I still maintain my stance on she is NOT a YOUNG GIRL, sorry if you don't like that-

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I say that- NO - It strikes me you seem to have a go at peoples images and yet you post NONE of your own , may I enquire as to why?

And under 30 is young to you? Ok, Not to me and I still maintain my stance on she is NOT a YOUNG GIRL, sorry if you don't like that-

It certainly seemed that was what you were saying!

I don't post photos of my kids/family online and that is mainly the only thing that I photograph that isn't work. I am sure nobody wants to see my holiday pics, I rarely take a camera with me any more anyway unless it's a photo trip.

It's true I haven't posted work I have done for clients here in a long time although I have done before including in this thread so that simply isn't true. I don't see any reason to post clients images on TP, they only go online in places that prospective clients can see them, I don't see any reason to put them online anywhere else.

Feel free to have a scan through every post I have made on here if you like but I am pretty sure I have never said anything negative about a photograph that has been posted here before. Usually when I seen something that I don't like I just ignore it so that is also completely untrue as well.

I have 2 daughters and I find it quite annoying to see pervy old men sexualising young women. It is more annoying when it's a photographer, it gives the rest of us a bad name. I have photographed many models for all types of stuff both for work and way back for my portfolio at the time. While they are happy to do whatever they agree with the client it's a completely different thing when it's some random stranger taking photographs of them.

Last edited:
I have 2 daughters and I find it quite annoying to see pervy old men sexualising young women. It is more annoying when it's a photographer, it gives the rest of us a bad name. I have photographed many models for all types of stuff both for work and way back for my portfolio at the time. While they are happy to do whatever they agree with the client it's a completely different thing when it's some random stranger taking photographs of them.

That's all very worthy but in this instance Lee reports that the model smiled and "played up" and if we take that at face value there just doesn't seem to be the annoying pervy old man or enraged photographer and uncomfortable young woman you're seeing.

That's all very worthy but in this instance Lee reports that the model smiled and "played up" and if we take that at face value there just doesn't seem to be the annoying pervy old man or enraged photographer and uncomfortable young woman you're seeing.
Nail on the head Alan :)

I have never seen a model react that way before when a stranger grabs a few sneaky photos of them when they are working and you only have his word for that, I choose to disbelieve him, simply because I have never ever seen a model react that way before. For me it is much more likely that she felt the way a model usually does when this happens.

Even if that was the case (would seem pretty unlikely), she would have been unaware he was taking sneaky photos of her arse, she has her back to him in that photograph and she would also be unaware that he then posting them on a photography website and making comments like "she has a nice arse" as he did above.

I have never seen a model react that way before when a stranger grabs a few sneaky photos of them when they are working and you only have his word for that, I choose to disbelieve him, simply because I have never ever seen a model react that way before. For me it is much more likely that she felt the way a model usually does when this happens.

Even if that was the case (would seem pretty unlikely), she would have been unaware he was taking sneaky photos of her arse, she has her back to him in that photograph and she would also be unaware that he then posting them on a photography website and making comments like "she has a nice arse" as he did above.

You've stated your view as have I and others and for the sake of goodwill and harmony in the thread I suggest we all just accept each others pov and move on now.

Some anodyne non controversial pictures... A7 and Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.

I am a coffee drinker
I drinks it all of the day
I am a coffee drinker
It soothes all me troubles away.
oh-ar-oh-ar-ey, oh-ar-oh-ar-ey.

xDKJq4U.jpg

Well, she said it was coffee, could be Gin.

"Friends of the lower path." Secret handshakes and symbols perhaps?

fuonjc4.jpg

Anyone else having a bit of a problem posting pictures?

I used to post from IMGUR, 1000 pixels on the longest side and quality 12 but these days the forum doesn't seem happy with the file size and I have to save and post at quality 10 now.

Last edited:

I think this is the key point here, the photo wasn’t taken for artistic reasons. It’s was taken of her backside deliberately. Definitely a little bit creepy.

I think this is the key point here, the photo wasn’t taken for artistic reasons. It’s was taken of her backside deliberately. Definitely a little bit creepy.

Exactly my point.

@woof woof and @Lez325 etc. can say what they like the simple truth is that if a stranger took a photograph of their wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother while she was at work or in a public place working and then posted it on a photography website saying they had a nice arse it's pretty unlikely that their wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother would be very happy about it or feel comfortable about it.

And no it for me it doesn't make a difference that the "model" would be unaware that is what has happened here. It is creepy.

Last edited:

Yes it was taken for artistic reasons. I'm not saying it's very good artistically, in fact looking at it now it's a bit rubbish. But I didn't take it for perviness, (it happens to look that way, I can see that) I just took a bunch of shots and this was one of them that I liked the look of for its quirkiness.

Exactly my point.

@woof woof and @Lez325 etc. can say what they like the simple truth is that if a stranger took a photograph of their wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother while she was at work or in a public place working and then posted it on a photography website saying they had a nice arse it's pretty unlikely that their wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother would be very happy about or feel comfortable about it.
You've stated your view as have I and others and for the sake of goodwill and harmony in the thread I suggest we all just accept each others pov and move on now.

If you lot do or not is up to you.

Apropos of nothing, I used to go out with a model. Stunning she was but what a temper.

Last edited:
Yes it was taken for artistic reasons. I'm not saying it's very good artistically, in fact looking at it now it's a bit rubbish. But I didn't take it for perviness, (it happens to look that way, I can see that) I just took a bunch of shots and this was one of them that I liked the look of for its quirkiness.

That doesn't ring very true when you match it up with the pervy comment you also made.

I really think we should move on before people feel they have to use the ignore button or the mods get involved or people feel they don't want to post anymore.

We're bound to disagree on many things but it would be a shame if relationships, experiences and enjoyment were soured.

That doesn't ring very true when you match it up with the pervy comment you also made.

You sound like a real prude. That wasn't the reason I took the shot as I've explained. But as it happens, yes, she does have a nice arse. It was a passing light hearted comment.

Exactly my point.

@woof woof and @Lez325 etc. can say what they like the simple truth is that if a stranger took a photograph of their wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother while she was at work or in a public place working and then posted it on a photography website saying they had a nice arse it's pretty unlikely that their wife, girlfriend, daughter, mother would be very happy about or feel comfortable about it.

You're taking this way too seriously. This model isn't my wife, girlfriend, daughter or mother. She's a stranger in a public place with photographers and videographers filming her on the wall of the Royal Exchange while the building was closed since the front gates were shut. And as mentioned earlier, undoubtedly without permission. Get over yourself.

And as Alan suggested, let's move on. This discussion is done. :)

she does have a nice arse.

You're taking this way too seriously. This model isn't my wife, girlfriend, daughter or mother. She's a stranger in a public place with photographers and videographers filming her on the wall of the Royal Exchange while the building was closed since the front gates were shut. And as mentioned earlier, undoubtedly without permission. Get over yourself.

And as Alan suggested, let's move on. This discussion is done. :)

More pervy comments.

You don't seem to get the point at all. It is more than obvious that you purposely photographed this young lady in the way you did for reasons that have nothing to do with photography, regardless on you back tracking now.

If it was your wife, daughter, mother etc. and some pervy stranger have photographed them while in the street in this way then posted it on the internet and made the comments you have they wouldn't be happy and if you were any sort of man at all neither would you be.

What you did was disgusting, just voyeurism.

Will leave it there now as I have no interest in continuing any further discussion with you.

Last edited:

Shouldn't work in a public place if it's that annoying then. :D

Supposedly the A7m4 is getting revealed soon. Anyone waiting for it?

Last edited:

I'm waiting to read about it and watch the reviews. Does that count?

:D

I'm waiting to read about it and watch the reviews. Does that count?

:D
What would you be looking for and would you be happy with the size increase?

What would you be looking for and would you be happy with the size increase?

I'll almost certainly be using my A7 until it dies as it does just about everything I need and a lot of the time I use manual lenses so I don't always need the better focus systems of the newer cameras.

Having said all that my A7 is deathly slow compared to my sports car like Panasonic MFT cameras and the A7 has no electronic shutter so I'll be looking for speed and a silent shutter when I do eventually buy something new. If Sony do something mad like they did with the A7c and drop physical controls, limit the camera to EFCS only or limit the max shutter speed to 1/4,000 with no auto change option to a faster electronic shutter that'd very probably kill it stone dead for me despite having Sony mount lenses. I wouldn't like to see too much increase in size but as long as we can stay sub DSLR then I'm mostly ok as the A7 small though it is with the 35mm f2.8 or Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 wont fit in a pocket and needs to be in a bag, so some size increase could be tolerated just so long as these cameras don't get to Canon 5D size.

On the fence about the A74 if the rumoured specs are correct. Not sure if it would be worthwhile upgrading our remaining A73’s when they still do the job quite well.

I don’t use them any way they are mainly the wife’s cameras.

No I’m happy with what I have, but I’ve just received an email from Nikon with a teaser for the Z9 so I’ll be interested to see what that offers and see if they can keep up with the R3. I’ll not be buying it, but the better Canikon are the more it ‘should’ push Sony forwards.

I was hoping for more MP, don't want to step down from 42MP, not by that much if rumours are true

Not really interested to be honest, the a7iiis are still doing a fab job and won’t get any worse when a new camera is released.

If it gets 4K at 50/100fps I may grab one eventually but with a limited amount of video work it doesn’t make much sense

Back