The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Do you not have the memories set to your go to options so that you can revert to 'default'? My only gripe with the memory function is that if you change something that change is remembered even if you turn the camera off, and it only defaults if you go to another mode/memory and then back again. I'd prefer it to reset to the 'default' memory with a quick turn on/off.
As you said this is the reason I don’t use the memory settings.

I just find it easier to have every thing there at a glance.

given the chip shortage and them suspending A6100 because of it, I cannot see that happening any time soon this year.
May be late in the year if and when we get over the global chip shortage issue?

so a good buy for the A6600 as Sony are offering £150 cash back at the moment, well up to the 15th Jan !

It would but I think the A1 on it's own get pretty close in that its scan speed is higher than A9. So you can use flash with electronic shutter too.

I think you can generally use it in any lightning without issue but if you on the odd occasion have issues you have the variable shutter feature too.

Don't know where you live but if can try an A1 may be it could help you decide

Thanks, I'm in Glasgow but at the moment with all the house renovations I don't think it will happen anytime soon. In the meantime I suppose I'll just have to make do.

You have a real talent for that type of photography, both really made me smile.

Thanks Mike, glad you like them. Those are one of the type of things I seek out quite a lot, interactions with advertising boards or some other element. Here's another that recently made Explore on Flickr :)

Reassuring Hands
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

This could have been made for me.

x28xTAn.jpg

I can imagine a few people here ordering this...

Anyone interested?

I have no need for this lens, hardly use an 85 any more at all never mind justifying the huge cost this one will be.

Once it is launched I will have a look at it, weigh up the pro's and cons, aske my wife about 42 times approx if I should get it or not, watch a view youtube videos and read a few reviews. Decide in the end that it's definitely not for me and I don't need it,

Then order the next day, that is how it usually goes.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, glad you like them. Those are one of the type of things I seek out quite a lot, interactions with advertising boards or some other element. Here's another that recently made Explore on Flickr :)

Reassuring Hands by Merlin 5, on Flickr
Another great shot. Was this staged or just good timing?

You've really started to nail the street style, different and far more interesting than the generic street stuff you see, you have an eye for the more artistic stuff. I really like the guy coming out of the frosted glass door for example, and the "eat in" shot is a cracker too imo

I've watched and liked a few of this guys vids and here's one...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjWeshl-kZU

At one time my Sony 12-24mm was my most used lens on my 5D but I do think that very wide lenses are some of the most difficult to use well. Get it right and pictures can look stunning but on the other hand I'm not a big fan of large numbers of pictures with massive and very obvious perspective distortion.

I've watched and liked a few of this guys vids and here's one...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjWeshl-kZU

At one time my Sony 12-24mm was my most used lens on my 5D but I do think that very wide lenses are some of the most difficult to use well. Get it right and pictures can look stunning but on the other hand I'm not a big fan of large numbers of pictures with massive and very obvious perspective distortion.

I am guilty of making a small mistake regarding this. I came from APS-C and didn't appreciate quite how wide a 14mm was on a full frame sensor. I bought the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 and while it's a great lens, 14mm on FF really needs specific tasks to make it shine. I'm sure like many coming from APS-C they would think 14mm would be great for a landscape lens :p (at least that's what I tell myself).

Definitely, don’t think I’ll be able to justify the price for what it’ll add. Never say never though!

I'm... conflicted on this...

I can see the appeal of modern lenses which are almost vice free and which give a very modern look and maybe give nice smooth bokeh too. One thing which has struck me lately is the difference between the newest lens I have, the Sony 24mm f2.8, and other less new lenses and going back to film era lenses. Modern lenses can give a very nice look with high levels of sharpness and lovely contrast and colour and modern lens coatings no doubt platy a part and can together with other aspects of design make lenses just about immune to flare and ghosting and all that stuff.

I can see and appreciate all that stuff but just sometimes I like a different look.

I'm also a bit conflicted about shallow DoF. Sometimes it is nice but sometimes I think its just done to death.

Never say never but I can't see myself buying this or any other 85mm f1.2 partly because I have the Sony 85mm f1.8 and hardly ever use it. I can't criticise anyone for wanting this lens though, each to their own and all and I'll look forward to the reviews and to seeing the pictures :D

PS.
Just on that Sony 24mm f2.8 which apart from the epic distortion has impressed me. I read on another site "the resolution and micro-contrast were a bit of a letdown" which I find surprising as the reviews I've read seem to contradict that view as does the evidence of my own eyes.

Last edited:
Another great shot. Was this staged or just good timing?

You've really started to nail the street style, different and far more interesting than the generic street stuff you see, you have an eye for the more artistic stuff. I really like the guy coming out of the frosted glass door for example, and the "eat in" shot is a cracker too imo

Thanks very much Toby. No, nothing staged, just very lucky! I took a few consecutive shots until that man doing cleaning was in the right spot to create the illusion. Because if you zoom right in you can just about see that the hand from the advert isn't on the cleaner's shoulder but is holding a hat.

Thanks, I nearly posted the frosted glass door one. Maybe that's Elvis or James Dean coming out from behind it. :D The "eat in" was a quick grab. I look for windows with condensation as I like creating compositions that look like paintings.

Last edited:
Light was a lot flatter than I was hoping (cloud cover at the last minute) but I still think it turned out not too bad.

A9_06767 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
The rumor site calls this "competition news" but is this competition? I don't know.

Anyway, enough waffle, here it is...

It's a compact camera with a nice compact lens and that does appeal to me but I'll keep my creeker :D

Last edited:
The rumor site calls this "competition news" but is this competition? I don't know.

Anyway, enough waffle, here it is...

It's a compact camera with a nice compact lens and that does appeal to me but I'll keep my creeker :D
Worst designed camera ever, if it had been any other brands they'd have got slaughtered for it.
Who puts the USB-C/charging port on the bottom apart from apple in their magic mouse!

I keep wondering whether to use the shutter closing on my A9-II for when I change lenses but people have put me off saying how fragile the shutter is, although I'm not sure how you'd touch the shutter when you change lenses? Hopefully the Z9 shield is more robust.

I’m using it. Just need to use a bit of care.

Worst designed camera ever, if it had been any other brands they'd have got slaughtered for it.
Who puts the USB-C/charging port on the bottom apart from apple in their magic mouse!

Some brands are above criticism :D

Not by you and me, obviously :D but by the faithful.

Back