The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well, I'm back in the Sony fold.
Just a quick shout out for Panamoz. I ordered an a7iv and FE 200-600mm on Monday - it was delivered yesterday (Friday) at 9 am. I reckon that's great service.
I spent a couple of hours setting up the camera, then had an hour at a local nature reserve.
The camera looks impressive, the bird eye autofocus seemed to work well, as did the tracking of birds in flight.

No-one can resist a Blue Tit.
1/1000th @ f6.3, ISO 640. (Obviously the a7iv with the 200-600!)

a7iv Blue Tit.jpg by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Great pictures there, Ant and Malcolm.

It's very frosty here so I hope to be able to head out for an hour later :D

@Malfis

What drew you back Malcolm ?
My first love has always been Pentax.
There’s been a lot of hype around the new K3iii and the improvements in the autofocus system, so I thought it was my ideal chance to use Pentax for my main interest - birds.
The camera itself is really good, built like a rock, customisable, lovely to handle - but the autofocus compared to Sony is lamentable.
I’ve still got a K5iiS and K3 and some super glass, and I’ll keep them for the little amount of more general photography I do.
I decided to give the a7iv a try as it looks really intriguing - 33 megapixel sensor, slower version of the A1 autofocus system etc. etc..
My immediate reaction is that it seems to really very accomplished - watch this space. My word, using that lens again makes one realise what terrific value and great performer it is!

Welcome back
sony body were you using previously?
There’s been a lot of hype around the new K3iii and the improvements in the autofocus system, so I thought it was my ideal chance to use Pentax for my main interest - birds.
The camera itself is really good, built like a rock, customisable, lovely to handle - but the autofocus compared to Sony is lamentable.
I’ve still got a K5iiS and K3 and some super glass, and I’ll keep them for the little amount of more general photography I do.
I decided to give the a7iv a try as it looks really intriguing - 33 megapixel sensor, slower version of the A1 autofocus system etc. etc..
My immediate reaction is that it seems to really very accomplished - watch this space. My word, using that lens again makes one realise what terrific value and great performer it is!

Thanks for replying. The A7iv was on my Radar for a while. Looks a great bit of kit.

Yeah the 135GM gives 0.25x magnification which is twice the magnification of the FE85/1.8.

My FE 135mm GM might be going in the sales soon, as far too many lenes and plus as I want the small 28-60mm for my A7C some of my other lenses have to go.

A couple of people asked my thoughts on the Sony 200-600mm lens after using an adapted Sigma 150-600mm for the last 3 years. I've been using the Sony for a couple of months now so feel able to share my experiences.

Positives

Build quality, the 200-600 feels like an expensive and well made piece of equipment.

Image quality, they're not massively different but see stabilisation point. Very slightly sharper at 600mm wide open.

Image Stabilisation, one of my biggest positives, the lens works so well along with the in body IS on my A7iii that it allows me to shoot at lower shutter speeds and get sharper images.

Continuous AF, bird in flight was one genre than my adapted Sigma struggled with. I would get decent shots but the 'hit rate' of in focus shots was very low. The 200-600 copes much better with this and considering I am 'only' using an A7iii I can only imagine how well it works on more recent bodies.

Focus Acquisition, not generally a huge difference but faster at going from near to far and vice versa.

Zoom Ring, being able to go from 200-600 with such a short throw is very handy

Negatives

Manual Focus Override, this is massive for me and I am gutted that the 200-600 lens does not have this feature. Anyone that shoots small birds in and amongst the branches etc will know how important it is to be able to grab the MF ring to focus beyond all the foreground distractions and snap onto the bird with AF.

White Body, okay this is more of a personal taste thing but I really wish the lens was black and not white. I use a neoprene cover now so that is problem sorted.

Zoom Ring, I understand how people like being able to zoom with a single finger but for me it's way too easy to turn and often accidentally

Summary

Overall I am really pleased with my upgrade, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives and I feel like I am already getting more consistent with my bird photography and with the better continuous AF for in flight shots and the better IS for everything. The manual focus override feature not being present has really annoyed me as it's something I never even considered not being present on the lens, there are clunky ways around this like mapping a button to switch between MF/AF but nothing as natural and quick as grabbing the manual focus ring. All in all I am very happy with the lens and would give it a 9/10 and I look forward to Spring and using it much more going forward.

Last edited:
A couple of people asked my thoughts on the Sony 200-600mm lens after using an adapted Sigma 150-600mm for the last 3 years. I've been using the Sony for a couple of months now so feel able to share my experiences.

Positives

Build quality, the 200-600 feels like an expensive and well made piece of equipment.

Image quality, they're not massively different but see stabilisation point. Very slightly sharper at 600mm wide open.

Image Stabilisation, one of my biggest positives, the lens works so well along with the in body IS on my A7iii that it allows me to shoot at lower shutter speeds and get sharper images.

Continuous AF, bird in flight was one genre than my adapted Sigma struggled with. I would get decent shots but the 'hit rate' of in focus shots was very low. The 200-600 copes much better with this and considering I am 'only' using an A7iii I can only imagine how well it works on more recent bodies.

Focus Acquisition, not generally a huge difference but faster at going from near to far and vice versa.

Negatives

Manual Focus Override, this is massive for me and I am gutted that the 200-600 lens does not have this feature. Anyone that shoots small birds in and amongst the branches etc will know how important it is to be able to grab the MF ring to focus beyond all the foreground distractions and snap onto the bird with AF.

White Body, okay this is more of a personal taste thing but I really wish the lens was black and not white. I use a neoprene cover now so that is problem sorted.

Zoom Ring, I understand how people like being able to zoom with a single finger but for me it's way too easy to turn and often accidentally

Summary

Overall I am really pleased with my upgrade, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives and I feel like I am already getting more consistent with my bird photography and with the better continuous AF for in flight shots and the better IS for everything. The manual focus override feature not being present has really annoyed me as it's something I never even considered not being present on the lens, there are clunky ways around this like mapping a button to switch between MF/AF but nothing as natural and quick as grabbing the manual focus ring. All in all I am very happy with the lens and would give it a 9/10 and I look forward to Spring and using it much more going forward.

You make a reasonable point about the manual focus override.
Using the FE200-600 for the first time yesterday with the a7iv was fascinating - on several occasions the bird was partly concealed by branches etc. but the eye focus would lock on, and I was able to get an in focus shot.
A couple of major positives you didn’t mention are the internal zoom and only a quarter turn from minimum to maximum zoom.
At the price it’s a great lens.

Positives

Negatives

Summary

If you turn the focus ring doesn't it manual focus?
I'm sure mines does...away at the moment so can't check...

If you turn the focus ring doesn't it manual focus?
I'm sure mines does...away at the moment so can't check...

No, unless I am missing a setting somewhere.

This mentions the lens not having manual focus overide

No Full-time Manual Focus Override​

Full-time manual focus override means being able to adjust focus by turning the focus ring even in AF mode. For bird photography, having manual focus override is important. I use manual focusing every day I’m out shooting to help navigate through foliage, get any focus hunting issues back on track quickly, and while recording quick video clips of birds where autofocus is guaranteed to fail.

Camera in dmf mode?

No camera in AF (cont)

Apart from mapping a button to switch back and forth between AF and MF I cannot see a way around it.

Last edited:
C'mon @Fuji Dave , sat here refreshing the classifieds for these bargains :wave:

Don’t think I had this lens, Trevor. If I did, it can’t have been memorable :D. I’ll double-check next time I’m in Lightroom on the Mac.
Edit - yes, I did buy this lens separately from the body. It performed adequately but its best feature was that the size balanced well on the body. Not really long nor wide enough though.

Yeah, I know what you mean but with the shape of the pond and grasses it's not too easy without going really high. It's sort of a toss up between sky and reflection.

Cheers though (y)
Well. now you mention it Lee it could be an issue - Its still a lovely image mate

Les :)

My 1st image with my new Sony a9 and Sony 200-600mm lens ( I still have the a7rIv's though ) :)

T7HQmh4.jpg

Les :)

Back