The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

All my processing is the same regardless of lens, everything's imported with the same preset. Every lens renders differently so I could do side by side of every lens and find a difference I'd imagine. My least favourite colours are Tamron tbh, but I still like them (y)
I'll search for other independent reviews to see if they mention anything. Of course, if it's just a minor question of warmth that's easily fixed, rather than some sort of OMIGOD-FUBAR thing, then it's no problem.

As you know, I'm rebuilding my Sony FE setup, and am considering a simple, light and low-cost prime to add to the 17-28 and 24-105 (still planned, not yet bought).
I have found the example I was talking about below and quoted it for you.
I have also quoted my response to this blind test for you to see :D
So here is my pointless test really. Just interesting too see difference in colours. These are all jpegs from camera, 2.8, +1 exposure. Flickr shows them better.

Sony 35mm 2.8 vs Samyang 35mm 2.8 (in mixed order!) Full image then 100% crop.

1 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

2 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

3 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

4 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

5 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

6 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

7 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

8 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr
The warmer or more yellow-orangey ones are samyang...

Easier to tell with cat pictures on my phone than other two

Put the samyang on an A7 and your subjects will have full on jaundice :D

I have found the example I was talking about below and quoted it for you.
I have also quoted my response to this blind test for you to see :D
Wow they’re bad, I’ve never experienced anything like that with mine. I wonder if there was some weird gremlin that was causing the camera to choose a different WB if using auto WB, or was the WB fixed?

If I remember/can be bothered I’ll do a side by side one day with mine and post on here (y)

FWIW I've just had a quick look in lightroom for shots when I was choosing which to keep between the Sony 35 f2.8 and the Samyang 35 f2.8

These are crops from in camera jpeg.

View attachment 344768
Admittedly I'm under fluorescent lights at the moment but I can't seem much difference in the two, maybe a touch of extra magenta in the background on the left if I squint but certainly a far cry from the examples Nand posted. I can't help think there was some weird WB issues in those :thinking:

Admittedly I'm under fluorescent lights at the moment but I can't seem much difference in the two, maybe a touch of extra magenta in the background on the left if I squint but certainly a far cry from the examples Nand posted. I can't help think there was some weird WB issues in those :thinking:
Wasn't my examples :)

I'd try in day light if you are testing

Yep, I have this little lens and am very pleased with it ... and can confirm no orange cast with mine.
They all have an orange colour cast. You may just not have noticed it. Perhaps you subconsciously prefer warmer. I have seen mentioned elsewhere that this is caused by the lens coating that is used on all Samyang a.f lenses. Some are worse than others but they all have it. Funnily enough the old Samyang manual focus lenses don’t have the same problem.

It isn’t easy to fix in post which is why it’s very difficult to use Samyang lenses for event photography as it’s next to impossible to get their colours to match with lenses from other brands.

Tamron lenses can be quite cool temp wise but are easy to fix in post. Sigma can also sometimes be a little warm but can be easily fixed to match others.

Not an issue I guess if you are only using Samyang lenses but definitely a problem if you are using a range of lenses at the same time as it’s next to impossible to get uniform colours which is easy with all the other brands.

Yep, I have this little lens and am very pleased with it ... and can confirm no orange cast with mine.
I've only managed to find one thread regarding the colour cast which is on dpreview. I'm going to test mine out of curiosity but as can be seen from barrysprout's post it's obviously not across the board as those SOOC images show no orange cast (y)

In my search I've actually seen more posts about Tamron causing orange cast :facepalm:

I've only managed to find one thread regarding the colour cast which is on dpreview. I'm going to test mine out of curiosity but as can be seen from barrysprout's post it's obviously not across the board as those SOOC images show no orange cast (y)

In my search I've actually seen more posts about Tamron causing orange cast :facepalm:
You must not have looked very hard.

There are also several threads on Fred Miranda, YouTube, Flickr, several Fuji forums, etc.

It has even been mentioned on here a few times.

Is your Google broken?

You must not have looked very hard.

There are also several threads on Fred Miranda, YouTube, Flickr, several Fuji forums, etc.

It has even been mentioned on here a few times.

Is your Google broken?
Nope, but I'm at work and I don't have all the time to search. A quick google search of "samyang lens orange colour cast" brought up one hit, I've not had time to search different things. On the other hand a few came up under the same search regarding Tamron.

Yup, Barrysprout's photos above show what looks like normal minor colour variation = no biggie.

The "you've-been-Tangoed" cat photos above it (thanks for finding them nandbytes) are surely indicative of some other issue?

I must do a test of my wee Sanyang myself tomorrow against the Sony 16-35 f4 and see, but I've never noticed a cast myself....

That's a super shot, Anthony :sony:(y)

Lovely shot that, and lovely light too. Do you have a hide to be able to get that close?

I have a local area that I regularly feed these birds (as other locals do too). It's a wooded area on the corner of small rural-ish car park. I use my car as a hide, they're happy to come very close with my lens out of the window, I do sometimes shoot here from outside, but some of the birds (especially the Long Tailed Tits) will not let me get close and are quite skittish (Blue Tits and Great Tits are more confident here).

Shameless plug.
I've got a Samyang 35mm f2.8 in classifieds.
It's small, inexpensive, tack sharp - and certainly does not have an orange cast.
Will keep it in mind. I may aim for something a bit faster - I've not fully researched the f-stop/weight/cost thing yet.

Will keep it in mind. I may aim for something a bit faster - I've not fully researched the f-stop/weight/cost thing yet.
There's the sometimes overlooked Sony 28mm f2 which is small, lightweight and reasonably priced and a bit faster at f2.

Lost photography for a couple of years but hoping a trip to Lisbon next month will find it again. Travelling light kitwise. Just gonna take my A73 and 16-35mm f4 and see how that goes.

Perhaps not as much of an issue on 45mm then (y)
Nope, not seen any issue with the 24mm and 18mm I had either (y) Like any lens/camera though, certain traits may only show in certain situations. Certainly no obvious cast though (y)

That's reassuring, given the other photos (also wondering about user error).

Yup, Barrysprout's photos above show what looks like normal minor colour variation = no biggie.

The "you've-been-Tangoed" cat photos above it (thanks for finding them nandbytes) are surely indicative of some other issue?
IME it hasn't been anything I couldn't fix in post. I didn't sell my samyang lenses because of the colour difference even though I found it a bit annoying.

Hi,
I now have my A6600 and Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 Contemporary and went out last weekend on a TimeLine event shoot at Crossness Pumping Station in Bexley. I must say the eye AF is pretty damn good and portrait shoots are so much easier than using my 7Dii. Especially in low light were my 7Dii starts to struggled of course the A6600 does struggle as well, just not as much as my 7Dii !
The Sigma f2.8 helps a lot as my canon EF fit Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 OS HSM Contemporary has variable apeture and it makes a difference in low light. I was sad that my lovely EOS 7Dii struggled so much in the low light, however it will still be great for 400mm plus lens when shooting wildlife and sports.

I was tempted to buy the Sony A7C, howvwer I have no full frame E mount lenses which pushed me more towards the A6600 and the cost as I took advantage of the Sony cash back offer.

Is there any accessories I should have a look at which will compliment my A6600 ! ?

Reactions: mav
I'm thinking of getting the little Godox TT350S flashgun for occasional use. Anyone got one and do you recommend?

I'm thinking of getting the little Godox TT350S flashgun for occasional use. Anyone got one and do you recommend?
Underpowered as only has the 2 x AA batteries. Better of with the v350s which has the lithium battery pack.

Size wise the v350s and the cheaper AA version are great.

If you don’t mind the much bigger size the new V860IIs is very good as is the V1.

Last edited:
Back