The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I keep thinking about upgrading to an A9 but I worry that my A7iii with approx 150k shots won't sell for much......
Cameras are generally money pits unfortunately, especially if bought new.

Yeah, it's the 'cost to change' that I am concerned with as my A7iii is doing me just great. I think people are nervous of the A7iii with a highish shutter count.

WEX sent me an email yesterday they are currently buying A7RIV for £1750.00 cash.

They have a promo thing on.
I was offered £1620 yesterday and I sold it here to another TP member yesterday for £1750, therefore WEX don't make on it :) which I kind of prefer

Last edited by a moderator:
The promo only started yesterday.
I received my quote around 9.30am - must have started after that time then? As I said I would rather a fellow TP member have it - If I remember correctly I did sell YOU a camera some time back :) as opposed to MPB/ WEX/LCE ?

Yeah, it's the 'cost to change' that I am concerned with as my A7iii is doing me just great. I think people are nervous of the A7iii with a highish shutter count.
I think people are nervous of any camera with a high shutter count, although not sure this is true for cameras that primarily use the electronic shutters such as the A9 etc.

Sometimes they offer trade in bonuses so it might be worth looking out for one if you want to change. Any particular reason you want to change?

You say that but it's not always too bad.

I traded an A7III into WEX for an A7IV.

I bought the A7III from Panamoz for £1209 at the time. W.E.X gave me £1070 for it, was over 3 years old and had been repaired twice for faulty EVF and had a shutter count of just over 120k.

Only cost me £139 to have it for the 3 years.

Obviously next time around will be different though as I bought the A7IV at the worst time when it's the most expensive it will ever be.

What does help is off course looking after your gear, with mirrorless stuff anyway they don't seem to be too worried about shutter count etc. as long as the camera looks okay cosmetically.

That is why I use a half case and a screen protector on all my Sony bodies, they all look like pretty much brand new, cosmetically.

I think people are nervous of any camera with a high shutter count, although not sure this is true for cameras that primarily use the electronic shutters such as the A9 etc.

Sometimes they offer trade in bonuses so it might be worth looking out for one if you want to change. Any particular reason you want to change?
I agree- thing is I personally made more selling on here- :) always worth a quote from the big 3 ( WEX - MPB - LCE ) though can't hurt

I received my quote around 9.30am - must have started after that time then? As I said I would rather a fellow TP member have it - If I remember correctly I did sell YOU a camera some time back :) as opposed to MPB/ WEX/LCE ?
Think the email came in at about 11 or so.

I haven't bought a camera body used in about 4/5 years I prefer to buy new.

Yeah I just think with A7iii more people are concerned with the shutter failure rate. I feel I could get better with the inflight birds that my A7iii offers, I have had success but the hit rate is terrible.

I agree- thing is I personally made more selling on here- :) always worth a quote from the big 3 ( WEX - MPB - LCE ) though can't hurt

Yeah I will see what they're currently offering.

Not sure if people are aware of this software. The site is generally in German but software is in English. It's not signed correctly, which throws up antivirus "warnings" (rather than it actually containing a virus). It shows the full Sony EXIF information and overlays the focus zone on your images. Pretty neat. Not too slow either.

I've always fancied an a9
I think I'd miss the resolution of the a7R4a for cropping.
Suppose I could sell my Silver a7c kit and replace it with the a9 :thinking: :LOL: :LOL:

They are two very different camera's.

I have grown to really like my A7RIVa, like you say the ability to crop so much is fantastic.

The A9 for me though is probably the best camera body I have ever had.

The A1 is the best of both worlds but for less money you can have 2 bodies in the A7RIVa and the A9.

A9 can be bought used so cheap now as well, ridiculous bargain.

It's a great lens for the money but the focusing is a good bit behind the Mk2 especially shooting into the light.
How do the Mk2 and Tamron compare more generally? I’ve seen a few videos that suggest not a huge difference.

Just had a thought last night as to whether I should sell my 85 1.8 and Batis 135 to help pay towards the GM2.

They are two very different camera's.

I have grown to really like my A7RIVa, like you say the ability to crop so much is fantastic.

The A9 for me though is probably the best camera body I have ever had.

The A1 is the best of both worlds but for less money you can have 2 bodies in the A7RIVa and the A9.

A9 can be bought used so cheap now as well, ridiculous bargain.
I picked up a A9 in very good condition from LCE a month or so ago for £1600. The difference to my A7rii is incredible.

How do the Mk2 and Tamron compare more generally? I’ve seen a few videos that suggest not a huge difference.

Just had a thought last night as to whether I should sell my 85 1.8 and Batis 135 to help pay towards the GM2.
My experience is that the GM2 is noticeably more reliable in AF for moving targets and quicker to lock on. Build quality is a different level too. Whether it's worth over double the cost is debatable, I'd say no personally.

Hi. not sure if this is the best thread to post this question so please delete or move if it isn't.

I'm considering moving from Nikon to Sony and I assume in this thread nobody will tell me that a bad move :)

I'm looking at the A7 IV and am undecided on if getting it with the kit lens is wise or not, I can buy the kit but need to dispose of of Nikon on kit before I can invest in decent glass.

So is it worth the additional £200 to get going or should I just bite the bullet wait a month longer until I have offloaded the Nikon stuff and get something like the Sigma 28-70 2.8 ?
I’ve just moved from Nikon to Sony and am happy with the move.

Snerkler has already answered and I agree with him. The Mk2 is also sharper and can take a teleconverter. One of my big reasons for changing was the internal zoom. It isn't easy getting a cover for a trombone style lens and if you have no choice but to shoot in poor conditions getting a cover over your gear is important. The extra 5fps is very useful to e too. OSS obviously helps in some scenarios too. The Tamron, especially imported, must be one of the best bang for the buck lenses out there

Last edited:
Snerkler has already answered and I agree with him. The Mk2 is also sharper and can take a teleconverter. One of my big reasons for changing was the internal zoom. It isn't easy getting a cover for a trombone style lens and if you have no choice but to shoot in poor conditions getting a cover over your gear is important. The extra 5fps is very useful to e too. OSS obviously helps in some scenarios too. The Tamron, especially imported, must be one of the best bang for the buck lenses out there
Pricing is a good point - e-infin have the Tamron for £740 at present versus £2400-2500 for the Sony. Quite a difference!

Pricing is a good point - e-infin have the Tamron for £740 at present versus £2400-2500 for the Sony. Quite a difference!
I'm sure it was £680 last week. The pound is so devalued that even the exporters are starting to get more expensive. I nearly pulled the trigger on an A1 when it went to £4700 and it is now away up to £5200 on Panamoz

It is hard to justify, the Tamron is a very good lens.

Another from the ancient files of Sony R1 images: a brass band getting ready for a concert in Mayrhofen, Austria...

Band Mayerhofen Austria R1_00820.jpg

FAST SD cards- where do you buy yours ?

Les :)

I have some of those Kingston cards mentioned above only I have the 256gb versions.

I also have some Pro Grade 256gb 300 mbs cards as well.

Think the Kingstons were bought from CCL and the Pro Grade from Amazon.

Also have some 128gb Manfrotto cards

FAST SD cards- where do you buy yours ?

Les :)
Usually Amazon (not marketplace) but bought some Manfrotto direct from them when they had an offer on.

I have some of those Kingston cards mentioned above only I have the 256gb versions.

I also have some Pro Grade 256gb 300 mbs cards as well.

Think the Kingstons were bought from CCL and the Pro Grade from Amazon.

Also have some 128gb Manfrotto cards

Thanks Tommy.

I have juzt bought 2 x 128 gb cards at 250 mbs . Fastest I could find at a very reasonable price of £35 each .

I don't think I need go pro grade at 300mbs just yet . The ones I have bought I'm hoping will cope with the a9's 20 frames a second. Not that I'll shoot 20 frames a second I usually do bursts of 5 or so when out on the birds in flight :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tommy.

I have juzt bought 2 x 128 gb cards at 250 mbs . Fastest I could find at a very reasonable price of £35 each .

I don't think I need go pro grade at 300mbs just yet . The ones I have bought I'm hoping will cope with the a9's 20 frames a second. Not that I'll shoot 20 frames a second I usually do bursts of 5 or so when out on the birds in flight :)
Got a link that seems really cheap.

I paid £2600 on here for my A9ii and sold it a month ago to my local store for £2600.
I find if you import then you can usually sell it for within £100 of what you paid for it but as someone else said, I paid close to retail on my A7iv despite importing but I love this camera and will likely keep it a while.

I paid £2600 on here for my A9ii and sold it a month ago to my local store for £2600.
I find if you import then you can usually sell it for within £100 of what you paid for it but as someone else said, I paid close to retail on my A7iv despite importing but I love this camera and will likely keep it a while.
Impressive, never happened for me like that :banghead:

Impressive, never happened for me like that :banghead:
Paying uk retail prices is what kills it imo, I learnt the hard way a few years ago paying £2500 for a 70-200.
The 50mm F1.2 is a good example. I’m so close to ordering one, imported £1650, buy here £2099 yet selling them on makes no real difference.
These days with lenses I just buy them rather than renting them as I know I can sell them on for just about what I paid.

Back