The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I think I have 8 Sony lenses and 3 Voigtlander Sony mount lenses. Old MF lenses, quite a few :D and then there's MFT.

I've been thinking I'd like to get back to the days of having a simple camera and lens and the GM5 and 20mm f1.7 gets pretty close especially when I don't want to take the bigger A7 but I haven't been able to give up anything yet. I do use everything eventually, sort of in rotation, and I don't need the money so I just end up keeping everything.

Last edited:
So I’ve just tested mine. Having DRO on/off didn’t appear to make a difference, LEXAR 2000x took 2:35 to clear a buffer of 414-420 shots JPEG extra fine writing to both cards. Writing to one card saved approx 5s. The Manfrotto cards cleared the buffer about 2s faster.

Hope this helps.

That is a great help, thanks Snerkler. At least I now know it's not something I'm doing wrong. It's the only issue I've had with the camera so far, and now I know there are a few workarounds (and being even lighter on the shutter :ROFLMAO:) and that it's just a nature of the camera rather than a fault with mine, I am very relieved.

Bit different though for you & your usage.

I just find if I have too much stuff then it's just trouble about what to take out! I don't have to think about that anymore! :)

Yes of course, if I was just shooting stuff for myself I would just have the one body probably my A9 or the A7RIV and probably the 24GM,35GM, 50GM AND 135GM, that would take me down to 4 lenses as well.

Last edited:
I boxed the 20G and put it in the cupboard so I keep forgetting it's still up for sale :ROFLMAO:

If I'm with the other half, the kids, the dog then I'll go 35GM. On my own the Voigtlander 40/1.2 (I can't sell it!) as i'll have time & it's easier to MF ie woodland, etc

I'll pair that with the Tamron 70-180/2.8 which I may well love more than the 35mm! Good for landscapes, great for woodlands, great for panoramics!

The 24GM is really just an astro/night sky lens. I'll sometimes take it out I daylight hours but it depends where & what really.

So yeah, I guess I'm at 4 too but the 35GM/CV40 I do swap out for each other so I call it 3! :p:ROFLMAO:
I've only got 3 lenses for my A9.
24-105mm
200-600mm
85mm f1.8

I do have a few film era lenses but don't really use them....

Been a busy beaver lately, I'm about 40,000 frames in with the Tamron 35-150mm 2-2.8 (managed to get one last year) and it's as close to a one lens solution as I've ever owned, 7 weddings shot with it and I'm around 90% of a wedding day shot with it now, and a similar percentage for motorsport events.

a7III + 35-150
Goodwood 79MM by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

a7III + 35-150
Goodwood 79MM by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

a9 + 35-150
Libby & Scott by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

and continuing the Tamron love, one with the a7III and 150-500 from earlier this week:

Speedway by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Very nice!
Still waiting for mine :(

It was very soft until F4 and had the worst distortion I've seen. Even after correction it was bad and it also left bright spots in the corners like blown out highlights.
The MTF test results show centre sharpness on the 35-150 is pretty good wide open until 150mm where F4 give a good improvement.
This looks very good to me considering it's a zoom and F2 at the wide end !

52042354803_e1fb524434_b.jpg

Source : https://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamron-35-150mm-f-2-2-8-di-iii-vxd-lens-review-35863/performance

Haven't seen any issues with my 35-150mm, but then to be honest I don't really look for them. Sharp photos = happy boy, and that's been the case so far. I've delivered about 3000 photos to clients shot just with that lens and nobody has complained :)

The MTF test results show centre sharpness on the 35-150 is pretty good wide open until 150mm where F4 give a good improvement.
This looks very good to me considering it's a zoom and F2 at the wide end !

52042354803_e1fb524434_b.jpg

Source : https://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamron-35-150mm-f-2-2-8-di-iii-vxd-lens-review-35863/performance
I’m always skeptical of reviews these days as everything seems to get a good review. If they are not positive then they don’t things to review again.
I can assure you mine was very soft and had awful distortion. I took a test shot of my garden gate and there isn’t a straight line on it. It was worse than my old 24-240 for IQ too.
Someone posted some examples further back and they weren’t as sharp as what I’ve been seeing in reviews so I’ll hang fire before ordering another until enough people have retail copies.

I've only got 3 lenses for my A9.
24-105mm
200-600mm
85mm f1.8

I do have a few film era lenses but don't really use them....
Sony 35 f2.8
Sony 50 f1.8
Sony 20mm G f1.8
Tamron 28-200.

I'd like to add the Sony 35 GM f1.4 and a 24-70 of some description as well.
The Tamron will basically become my telephoto lens with extra use, it's not wide enough for me as a walkabout lens.

I’m always skeptical of reviews these days as everything seems to get a good review. If they are not positive then they don’t things to review again.
I can assure you mine was very soft and had awful distortion. I took a test shot of my garden gate and there isn’t a straight line on it. It was worse than my old 24-240 for IQ too.
Someone posted some examples further back and they weren’t as sharp as what I’ve been seeing in reviews so I’ll hang fire before ordering another until enough people have retail copies.
That’s a very cinical view. Maybe that happened in the 80/90/00’s during the magazine era but reviewers are much more honest now, especially on YouTube. The likes of Tony & C and JP provide honest opinions. it’s also not hard to obtain review samples of most stuff these days.

That’s a very cinical view. Maybe that happened in the 80/90/00’s during the magazine era but reviewers are much more honest now, especially on YouTube. The likes of Tony & C and JP provide honest opinions. it’s also not hard to obtain review samples of most stuff these days.
Disagree with that.

It’s shocking how many give great reviews for free gear and perks while pretending to be objective.

The Northrups are shocking these dates, will say anything for clicks. JP doesn’t seem too bad (except for the click bait titles of his videos), and neither does Manny but I certainly don’t take what they say as gospel (y)

Had a very disappointing day at Donington today photography wise. Weather was crap meaning the catch fencing affected images more than usual. I wish I could get trackside access, I’m getting more and more frustrated shooting through fencing each time I go :banghead:

And E-Photozine also give glowing reviews to junk lenses. My preference for reviews these days is Optical Limits.
I’ve not come across Optical Limits, will check it out at some point.

And E-Photozine also give glowing reviews to junk lenses. My preference for reviews these days is Optical Limits.
Yeah, I’ve been using Optical Limits for about 17 years. (Prior to the name change). Especially since DXO stopped testing lenses and moved to mobile phones.
They haven’t reviewed the Tamron 35-150 yet though.

Last edited:
Northrups are shocking.
Personally I like Dustin Abbott, his videos are a bore but at least he's consistent

Christopher Frost is kinda fine but I don't find his reviews as consistent but a good quick watch. But he hasn't yet tested this lens.

Then there is Marc Alhadeff from Sonyalpha blog

I don't always agree with his results but on the whole useful

I also like Phillip Reeve
Who's yet to test this lens.

Personally I really liked Roger Cicala from lens rentals because he tested like 10 copies of each lens. But looks like they have stopped testing lenses :(

I seldom go to YouTube but I watch dpreview, Gerald and couple others just to get a feeling for the lens. Then I take the average of all these before making a decision.

The average for tamron seems to be that it's decently sharp at all focal ranges and apertures plus it gets better when shopped down.

Last edited:
Had a very disappointing day at Donington today photography wise. Weather was crap meaning the catch fencing affected images more than usual. I wish I could get trackside access, I’m getting more and more frustrated shooting through fencing each time I go :banghead:
Well despite my whinging (apologies for that) I've managed to rescue a few shots I think, here's the first for now.

A9_02839-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Chance of situation for me now- I was intending to sell some Sony gear a7Riv and a few lenses- Now my brother has scuppered those plans- by giving me his Sony a9 as he's giving up photography :( he has the same lenses as me and he's selling those

Good result for me as I can now loose one of my the Sonya7Riv's, as I have 2 presently ( be in classifieds today) and I'll keep one as a back up - can't wait to try the a9 though :)
@nandbytes

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the A7IV out for the first time at a wedding on Saturday. Only getting a chance to have a quick nosey at some of the images now as my father in law passed away suddenly yesterday.

My missus has been using one for a while, but its the first time I have been able to get to use one for any length of time. Reasonably happy with it, a.f reliability is very good, tracking etc. works very well. The little bit of extra resolution gives a little more to play with for some things.

On the downside the flip out screen is more annoying than I though it would be, maybe it will just take a bit of getting used too, but absolutely hating at at the moment. So much so I might just pass it over to the missus.

Last edited:
. Only getting a chance to have a quick nosey at some of the images now as my father in law passed away suddenly yesterday.
My sympathies to you Tommy and your lady wife- such a shock when it happens like that- happened to my Dad too mate :(

Sorry to hear about the FIL - how's your wife coping?

She is finding it very difficult, still in severe shock I think.

Her and her Dad had lost touch for a long time up until a couple of years ago. That's a small comfort at least, we were down at his house just on Wednesday there and she had spoken to him on the phone on Saturday while we were on a break for dinner. Her brother lost touch with her Dad when she did and had decided even after my wife was on better terms with him that he wasn't interested in reconnecting and he is feeling very guilty about the whole thing,

It is difficult when it's a sudden death, I had very similar experience when my Dad died. They say that a sudden death is better for the person as they don't suffer but harder for the people they leave behind as they haven't been able to say goodbye and I agree with that,

Her Dad has been ill, he had what they said was a mild heart attack at Easter and had got a stint put in. They told him that everything was fine and with medication there should be no issue with him making a full recovery. His wife said that he was in great form all day Saturday and on Saturday evening she was tired so had went to bed while he stayed downstairs watching a movie. She woke up in the early hours of the morning and realised he hadn't come up to bed and found him on the sofa.

Very sad and at only 64 for someone who was a very fit and active man, its all been quite a shock.

Her and her Dad had lost touch for a long time up until a couple of years ago. That's a small comfort at least, we were down at his house just on Wednesday there and she had spoken to him on the phone on Saturday while we were on a break for dinner. Her brother lost touch with her Dad when she did and had decided even after my wife was on better terms with him that he wasn't interested in reconnecting and he is feeling very guilty about the whole thing,

It is difficult when it's a sudden death, I had very similar experience when my Dad died. They say that a sudden death is better for the person as they don't suffer but harder for the people they leave behind as they haven't been able to say goodbye and I agree with that,

Her Dad has been ill, he had what they said was a mild heart attack at Easter and had got a stint put in. They told him that everything was fine and with medication there should be no issue with him making a full recovery. His wife said that he was in great form all day Saturday and on Saturday evening she was tired so had went to bed while he stayed downstairs watching a movie. She woke up in the early hours of the morning and realised he hadn't come up to bed and found him on the sofa.

Very sad and at only 64 for someone who was a very fit and active man, its all been quite a shock.

My condolences to you and your family.
I know it's really tough losing someone so young. I lost two of my cousins in 40s to COVID last year (on the same day that too!) And I still struggle sometimes. But time and being around loved ones defenitely helps.
Hope you all find the strength needed to get through this.

My sympathies. Seeing and talking to him before he died must be some comfort especially seeing how her brother will be feeling. I'm sure you'll be a comfort to her. The regret and guilt aspects are on my mind with all the trouble and upset in my own family.

Sorry to hear it Tommy, my wife lost her Dad in a car incident - it's hard.

I feel like I should wait a day now.. but I've feel like I've been holding my breath for a week and I can finally now breathe.

Whenever I have a wedding booked I suffer anxiety for the week leading up to it, almost had a little road incident on the way during a lapse of concentration, had to make an emergency stop.

However when I get there the people were lovely, the location was lovely, the photos are lovely - I look forward to when I can stop worrying about it and just trust in myself to figure it out on the day.

50 1.2 GM + 24 1.4 GM

Will & Claire's Wedding - 19 of 187 - A1105422.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 20 of 187 - A1105432.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 35 of 187 - A1207929.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 57 of 187 - A1208080.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 63 of 187 - A1105742.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 71 of 187 - A1208206.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 81 of 187 - A1105872.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 106 of 187 - A1106122.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 123 of 187 - A1106320.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 135 of 187 - A1106436.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 137 of 187 - A1208291.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 144 of 187 - A1106554.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 167 of 187 - A1106843.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 169 of 187 - A1106892.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 174 of 187 - A1106952.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 177 of 187 - A1208377.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 180 of 187 - A1106972.jpgWill & Claire's Wedding - 181 of 187 - A1208407.jpg

Had the A7IV out for the first time at a wedding on Saturday. Only getting a chance to have a quick nosey at some of the images now as my father in law passed away suddenly yesterday.

My missus has been using one for a while, but its the first time I have been able to get to use one for any length of time. Reasonably happy with it, a.f reliability is very good, tracking etc. works very well. The little bit of extra resolution gives a little more to play with for some things.

On the downside the flip out screen is more annoying than I though it would be, maybe it will just take a bit of getting used too, but absolutely hating at at the moment. So much so I might just pass it over to the missus.

So sorry to hear of the loss Tommy, my thoughts are with you your wife and family at this time.

Very sorry to hear this - not a pleasant experience for anyone. Your wife especially will feel her loss for a long, long, time. Just be there for her - I know you will.

Sorry to hear it Tommy, my wife lost her Dad in a car incident - it's hard.

I feel like I should wait a day now.. but I've feel like I've been holding my breath for a week and I can finally now breathe.

Whenever I have a wedding booked I suffer anxiety for the week leading up to it, almost had a little road incident on the way during a lapse of concentration, had to make an emergency stop.

However when I get there the people were lovely, the location was lovely, the photos are lovely - I look forward to when I can stop worrying about it and just trust in myself to figure it out on the day.

50 1.2 GM + 24 1.4 GM

View attachment 351980View attachment 351981View attachment 351982View attachment 351983View attachment 351984View attachment 351985View attachment 351986View attachment 351987View attachment 351988View attachment 351989View attachment 351990View attachment 351991View attachment 351992View attachment 351993View attachment 351994View attachment 351995View attachment 351996View attachment 351997
Thanks Dan, nice set of images am sure the couple will be very happy.

I think you have mentioned on here before about feeling anxiety on wedding days.

I have never felt that way but I know a few other photographers that have. One in particular I know found that over planning helped her. She plans everything to an anal extend including spreadsheets to tick checking equipment etc. the day before.

That helped her with nerves about the actual wedding as she is super prepared.

She also suffers from social anxiety. We brought her out with us for a couple of weddings to help. One of things we do in the morning is go straight in and before doing a thing is go around and introduce ourselves to everyone ask who they are what they are for if it’s a vendor etc. She had never though of speaking to anyone but the bride on the morning and by the time you get through them all it’s just easier. She now does that at every wedding the same as we do and she has found that has helped as well.

Both me and my wife have a background in sales so we can be dropped into any group of people and it’s easy for us to strike up a conversation. We know it it’s not as easy for everyone, photographers are often more introverted people who would rather hide behind the camera.

Thanks Dan, nice set of images am sure the couple will be very happy.

I think you have mentioned on here before about feeling anxiety on wedding days.

I have never felt that way but I know a few other photographers that have. One in particular I know found that over planning helped her. She plans everything to an anal extend including spreadsheets to tick checking equipment etc. the day before.

That helped her with nerves about the actual wedding as she is super prepared.

She also suffers from social anxiety. We brought her out with us for a couple of weddings to help. One of things we do in the morning is go straight in and before doing a thing is go around and introduce ourselves to everyone ask who they are what they are for if it’s a vendor etc. She had never though of speaking to anyone but the bride on the morning and by the time you get through them all it’s just easier. She now does that at every wedding the same as we do and she has found that has helped as well.

Both me and my wife have a background in sales so we can be dropped into any group of people and it’s easy for us to strike up a conversation. We know it it’s not as easy for everyone, photographers are often more introverted people who would rather hide behind the camera.

Thanks Tommy, I'm going to keep this in mind - but not think too deeply about it right now - as even that is bringing up anxiety!

My sincere condolences.

My father had multiple heart attacks over a 10year period before he died, and we'd been through it so many times before that when it happened the lack of reaction felt almost wrong. OTOH my FIL came in from the garden, sat down and just died with no warning - it was a big shock, though not as big as this because he was in his 70s.

My thoughts are with your family at this time.

Back