The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Guys, when I delete images now on the A7, I get "multiple images" or "all with this date"

I used to have "multiple" or something like "all in this folder"

Anyone know where the "all in this folder" option has gone?

EDIT - it's not an issue as such. I can just format. But I want to know what's changed :ROFLMAO:

I have no idea, it is not a good idea to delete images in the body, it can cause corruption/error in the card. Just shoot until full then format.

You don't need to do either of those, it's a case of confidence and technique.

The shot you posted above is a good example of being bang in between whereas if you'd been further away and got a foot pointing up with heel down it would have been great.

Just before covid hit I was ready to start street photography workshops, had the trip advisor and viator accounts all set up then bang lockdown, thinking about revisiting the idea.

The smart car ruins this shot but I spotted him coming towards me last minute so had to just grab what I could, note the front foot, left hand and head position. That was with a Fuji X100V, zone focussing.

Street-1-8Oct21 by FusionX.Photo, on Flickr

I'm wondering how that photo would look if you changed it to portrait and cropped away the right of him including the car?

I have no idea, it is not a good idea to delete images in the body, it can cause corruption/error in the card. Just shoot until full then format.
Never heard of that before. Been doing it that way since the dawn of time.

I've always selected 'delete' 'all in folder' and card cleared. I then format on occasion when I remember. I've done that for longer than I can remember.

I always format. Part of my thinking is that deleting even if it really isn't is generally thought to be more dangerous and also because I'm worried about having finger trouble and deleting the wrong picture.

So, my rule is to get everything copied to the pc and only then format the card :D

Last edited:
I'm wondering how that photo would look if you changed it to portrait and cropped away the right of him including the car?
Tried that then the remaining part of the van winds me up.

I've always selected 'delete' 'all in folder' and card cleared. I then format on occasion when I remember. I've done that for longer than I can remember.
There’s some thought out there that deleting images rather than simply formatting the card can lead to early card corruption so I’ve always filled the card then formatted, but it sounds like you’ve never had an issue?

There’s some thought out there that deleting images rather than simply formatting the card can lead to early card corruption so I’ve always filled the card then formatted, but it sounds like you’ve never had an issue?

It is more important with Sony due to how the database works.

The database file can become corrupted if you are deleting images in camera rather than formatting. If you google search Sony database error there is quite a lot of info on it

This is the error message that appears usually, it then give you the option of rebuilding the database but this can often result in lost or corrupt data.

hqdefault.jpg

I always format. Part of my thinking is that deleting even if it really isn't is generally thought to be more dangerous and also because I'm worried about having finger trouble and deleting the wrong picture.

So, my rule is to get everything copied to the pc and only then format the card :D
No chance of that for me using FTP.

Not Sony or even photography related this but I just felt the need to share :D

I've just seen a couple stop traffic whilst their dog squatted and did a big you know what in the middle of the road :D

It is more important with Sony due to how the database works.

The database file can become corrupted if you are deleting images in camera rather than formatting. If you google search Sony database error there is quite a lot of info on it

This is the error message that appears usually, it then give you the option of rebuilding the database but this can often result in lost or corrupt data.

View attachment 376322

I always thought that was deleting individual images whilst using the camera that was a big no-no? I don't do that.

But I've always deleted 'all in folder' in camera. Always have. Just that now, that 'all in folder' option has vanished to be replaced with 'all with this date' - which is the part I'm most curious about!

Another Tamron 20-40mm f2.8 review, via the rumor site but here's s direct link to the review.

I rarely use primes but I've been thinking that I should and this one could probably do nicely. Reviews for this lens seem a bit mixed but I'm not sure that the less good bits would bother me all that much although I can see how people who want the best performance could want to avoid it. I nearly took my A7 and 28-70mm out today but life got in the way.

I think it's four years since I used a zoom on my A7 and even then I thought I was taking the 85mm f1.8. I only realised I had the zoom mounted when I couldn't select f1.8 and then I noticed the extra control ring :D

FmDgquo.jpg

Last edited:
Multiple image, stacked foreground, tracked/stacked sky panorama/mosaic thingy......

Cropped 5x4 so it's a fake medium format right..... ;)

A7 - 24GM - MSM tracker

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Superb.

This is simply stunning.
I'd love to get a shot like that.....

Many thanks :)

I'm sure you could with some simple knowledge of the subject :) I'm only self learnt!

And I only found this one as I thought I'd have a good clear out of images and found a lot of part edited stuff.

I also found a lot of rubbish that I'd hung onto and not even edited!

@Merlin5 was it you who liked the "film" style editing. If so I've just seen this bundle that's 90% off and if you enter the code HV20 you get a further $20 off meaning you get 35 preset bundles for $45. I've given it a whirl. TBH it's like a lot of these bundles, 90% aren't that great but there's some good ones in there imo.

Favour to ask.

Can someone share a single RAW file of A7IV with me? I want to test whether my old Mac can handle processing it without crawling to a snail.

Base ISO, clear image of anything (but not your private parts! lol).

Much appreciated.

Just download a few sample images from the A7IV review on DPReview to test it

Thanks all.

It seems to process just fine, no more slower than my 5D4 files (which are of similar mega pixels).

Thanks all.

It seems to process just fine, no more slower than my 5D4 files (which are of similar mega pixels).

Difficult to tell I guess based on editing just a couple of images.

You won't know for sure until you have imported a whole set of images. Might be slower or might not.

Have you got one Graham? (MF.)

Not yet, haven't really had a chance to think about it to be honest. I think realistically I may have to wait until I have more time to get out and about.

There's also the current economic climate to think about. Without bringing politics into this thread, I can't shake the feeling that we've been properly screwed over by the Americans with all this Russia/Ukraine stuff and until things get sorted I'm not sure an expensive hobby is the sensible choice just now. Time will tell though, maybe come summer the world will be a nicer place.

Back