The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

GAS is afflicting me again, in my search for weight saving for trips I’ve stumbled across the Fuji 16-80mm f4, giving a very useful range of 24-120mm in a package weighing only 440g so I’ve been fancying the X-T5 and this lens for travel. I need serious help, especially considering I’ve never been happy with Fuji’s output :ROFLMAO:
The 16-80 isn't their greatest lens, the 16-55 is lovely but that won't fit in your average sized man bag :ROFLMAO:

Honestly! Some people could argue in an empty room.

Can we move on now?
Ta

GAS is afflicting me again, in my search for weight saving for trips I’ve stumbled across the Fuji 16-80mm f4, giving a very useful range of 24-120mm in a package weighing only 440g so I’ve been fancying the X-T5 and this lens for travel. I need serious help, especially considering I’ve never been happy with Fuji’s output :ROFLMAO:

I'd only be considering Fuji for one thing. And that's medium format :ROFLMAO:

But tbh, I can see myself buying MF film kit before digital :ROFLMAO:

Honestly! Some people could argue in an empty room.

Can we move on now?
Ta

Yes...... :)

A new....

"Project"?

I guess so.

The plan is..... Stealing some inspiration from a few medium format film guys I watch & follow, to shoot some village scenes. It's sort of weird how film is supposed to be great images & not wasted etc whereas digital is often called machine gunning..... I've not done that. I reckon I could go out with a MF film person & they would shoot more than me! I Often go out for sunrise or sunset & take one image where I've waited for the light etc etc Well, I want to shoot more like them..... See a nice scene? Shoot it!! I get too caught up sometimes in distractions, rubbish bins, telephone wires, etc & often won't fire that shutter because things aren't 'perfect' - I'm aiming to shot the nice scene, the light, the feeling, the (maybe) quirkyness...... I want to capture stuff as it is.

The other plus side to this is that villages are usually pretty flat so the other half & the (elderly) dog can come along. We can see new local places. We can support some local pubs*, cafes & farm shops!

* we went to Norton St Philip in BANES - if you are passing through, stop in The George which is a 13th century pub with more history than you can shake a stick at. It's also ran by nice people & the food is bloody lovely!

Anyway, my first image......

*** by Lee, on Flickr

A new....

"Project"?

I guess so.

The plan is..... Stealing some inspiration from a few medium format film guys I watch & follow, to shoot some village scenes. It's sort of weird how film is supposed to be great images & not wasted etc whereas digital is often called machine gunning..... I've not done that. I reckon I could go out with a MF film person & they would shoot more than me! I Often go out for sunrise or sunset & take one image where I've waited for the light etc etc Well, I want to shoot more like them..... See a nice scene? Shoot it!! I get too caught up sometimes in distractions, rubbish bins, telephone wires, etc & often won't fire that shutter because things aren't 'perfect' - I'm aiming to shot the nice scene, the light, the feeling, the (maybe) quirkyness...... I want to capture stuff as it is.

The other plus side to this is that villages are usually pretty flat so the other half & the (elderly) dog can come along. We can see new local places. We can support some local pubs*, cafes & farm shops!

* we went to Norton St Philip in BANES - if you are passing through, stop in The George which is a 13th century pub with more history than you can shake a stick at. It's also ran by nice people & the food is bloody lovely!

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Ironically that has a lovely film like quality to it. Nice image, you have a lovely way of capturing light.

Last edited:
Interesting looking lens, the close focus ability looks very handy and the new focus motor seems better but I won't be giving up my 200-600mm for it. Still think the Sony is unbeatable in this range with it's IQ, internal zoom and ability to take the teleconverters.
Too heavy, I’d rather it be 200-600mm and be 500g + lighter.

Does anyone have any experience using the compact 28-60mm? I’m considering it for the times I want to ‘travel’ light.

Too heavy, I’d rather it be 200-600mm and be 500g + lighter.

I'd rather someone made an even lighter 400-600 or even a 600 f/5.6 or f/6.3 prime

The only Sony cameras I’d use the electronic shutter with are the A9, A9II and A1. Maybe on the odd occasion for something static with the others but that’s all.
Well it's time I had a second body again.

The A9 / A9II are cameras on the radar. I'm hoping that electronic shutter is more useable so that I can reduce mechanical wear. I'm already 21,000 on my A7IV which is scary. I'm guessing for flash photography I will still need to use mechanical shutter, but hopefully for everything else - electronic shutter, and I would like to see how it performs with action wildlife.

You could always try topaz denoise, works very well (y) Also, FF is more forgiving than APS-C for the higher ISO's.
Thanks I’ve never looked at topaz, I do still struggle by with lr.
I’ve been suprised how well the Fuji’s have handled higher ISO’s than I’d previously been happy to use in my old Nikon d750.

I think a lot of it has taught me to concentrate more trying to get it more or less right in camera.
The biggest issue I’ve found is blacks and very dark area’s can sometimes not look clean on the Fuji in high contrasting areas, I’ll have a look at topaz see if I can do some
Tests on it thanks

I’ve been suprised how well the Fuji’s have handled higher ISO’s than I’d previously been happy to use in my old Nikon d750.

I think a lot of it has taught me to concentrate more trying to get it more or less right in camera.
The biggest issue I’ve found is blacks and very dark area’s can sometimes not look clean on the Fuji in high contrasting areas, I’ll have a look at topaz see if I can do some
Tests on it thanks
Might be worth checking out DXO PureRAW 2. You can use it as a Lightroom plug in.

hanks I’ve never looked at topaz, I do still struggle by with lr.

Tests on it thanks

Also try On1 photoraw.

The A7 III and IV should give cleaner blacks than a D750.

Thought that was why you bought the 24-70mm f4?
I'm forever looking for the holy grail ;)
Well it's time I had a second body again.

The A9 / A9II are cameras on the radar. I'm hoping that electronic shutter is more useable so that I can reduce mechanical wear. I'm already 21,000 on my A7IV which is scary. I'm guessing for flash photography I will still need to use mechanical shutter, but hopefully for everything else - electronic shutter, and I would like to see how it performs with action wildlife.
I'd go for the A9II over the A( for the ergonomics and faster FPS with mechanical shutter when you need it. Also the DR on the A9 isn't great. Of course you could always go for the A1 and be able to use the electronic shutter with flash.
Some examples with the 28-60 on the a7c

Perthshire Trees by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Port na Craig by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Pitlochry by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

River Tummel by Mike Stephen, on Flickr
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Tests on it thanks
I'm very surprised you found the Fuji better than the D750, the D750 is excellent. I believe some Fujis apply some NR to the raws at high ISO so maybe this is what you were seeing. Of course this is at the expense of detail. I've also read that Fuji manipulate their ISO levels and then process to give the desired exposure, but how true and how much I don't know.

This is the set up I was looking at, the 16-80 isn’t one of Fuji’s recommended lenses for the 40mp sensor although it is sold as a kit lens with the xt5. As for saving weight that’s just a myth I find I end up chucking in that extra lens, extra batteries, etc, etc just Incase.

I'm forever looking for the holy grail ;)

I'd go for the A9II over the A( for the ergonomics and faster FPS with mechanical shutter when you need it. Also the DR on the A9 isn't great. Of course you could always go for the A1 and be able to use the electronic shutter with flash.

Nice, thanks for sharing.

I'm very surprised you found the Fuji better than the D750, the D750 is excellent. I believe some Fujis apply some NR to the raws at high ISO so maybe this is what you were seeing. Of course this is at the expense of detail. I've also read that Fuji manipulate their ISO levels and then process to give the desired exposure, but how true and how much I don't know
Sorry I probably wrote that wrong the iq on the d750 was excellent it was very very good in low light I have no complaints of the d750’s but I never personally pushed ISO’s as much as I have with Fuji’s the Nikon files were always cleaner overall and it’s taken me a while to get used to dealing with the Fuji raw’s to get similar results. I will be keeping my xt3 as it’s a lovely thing to use. The a7 will take over for low light urban architecture, cityscapes etc

A new....

"Project"?

I guess so.

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Lovely shot that!

Forgot to post these recently. Went to Spain during the Christmas break, took a walk around Mojacar during the evening, lovely place!
A7iii & sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

(3rd photo didn't really work with the 4:5 crop without losing the trees or the steps, so left it 3:2...)

DSC03299.jpg

DSC03295.jpg

DSC03294.jpg

DSC03326.jpg

Not sure if you are confused or just didn't read my post o.o.f areas does not equal bokeh, they are entirely different things. I never mentioned bokeh once. I wouldn't expect any 35mm to be able to produce really nice bokeh.

C.A is an issue I see very little of as I predominantly used G.,M lenses and they are all pretty much corrected within an inch of their lives. I see C.A with every set of images we use the 35mm f/1.8 for. As I said previously what I use my equipment for and what you use yours for are going to be very different. Anything that is shot backlit with the 35 f/1.8 is going to have C.A even if there is only a small amount of backlighting. I pretty much only shoot people and every set will have backlit images.

It's your certainty and sweeping statements that worry me as I don't think things are always so clear. You should be able to see that lenses will render differently in different situations and distances. If you haven't seen this then I don't think you've really looked. One thing I normally do is test with different scenes and distances but in the case of lenses that have been out for a while there's reduced need to do this as there are many sample images to look at.

CA, it's all been said but if it's going to occur it will occur in specific instances at specific settings and it's up to the user to decide if it's significant.

Your attitude... I really don't care, I've seen and dealt with just about every shape and size of individual in life and the internet is no different :D I'd just ask you to think about your certainty and generalities as I don't think things are always as cut and dried as you seem to think.

Forgot to post these recently. Went to Spain during the Christmas break, took a walk around Mojacar during the evening, lovely place!
A7iii & sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

(3rd photo didn't really work with the 4:5 crop without losing the trees or the steps, so left it 3:2...)

View attachment 378463

View attachment 378464

View attachment 378465

View attachment 378466

Nice feel to these :)

If you had the focus breathing of the 35GM you might have got the trees and steps in the same frame :ROFLMAO:

A new....

"Project"?

I guess so.

I like your picture Lee.

You post reminded me of when a relative shot some MF film shots of local buildings and I went to see them along with pictures taken by others at an exhibition. My relatives prints were lovely prints, gorgeous really, and there was really nothing on the technical side to criticise at all if you're the sort of person who can appreciate near perfection but they got no feedback and no comments and I could see why as they lacked just about everything apart from near technical perfection. The person exhibiting next on the wall had a series of pictures which were all composed exactly the same and technically they were not great but they had a clear personality and got lots of comments. So, I hope you don't try and copy the MF perfect capture but nothing to look at other than the goodness route :D

Last edited:
It's your certainty and sweeping statements that worry me as I don't think things are always so clear. You should be able to see that lenses will render differently in different situations and distances. If you haven't seen this then I don't think you've really looked. One thing I normally do is test with different scenes and distances but in the case of lenses that have been out for a while there's reduced need to do this as there are many sample images to look at.

CA, it's all been said but if it's going to occur it will occur in specific instances at specific settings and it's up to the user to decide if it's significant.

Your attitude... I really don't care, I've seen and dealt with just about every shape and size of individual in life and the internet is no different :D I'd just ask you to think about your certainty and generalities as I don't think things are always as cut and dried as you seem to think.

I find it strange that you worry about a stranger on the internet. Very odd behaviour.

I like your picture Lee.

You post reminded me of when a relative shot some MF film shots of local buildings and I went to see them along with pictures taken by others at an exhibition. My relatives prints were lovely prints, gorgeous really, and there was really nothing on the technical side to criticise at all if you're the sort of person who can appreciate near perfection but they got no feedback and no comments and I could see why as they lacked just about everything apart from near technical perfection. The person exhibiting next on the wall had a series of pictures which were all composed exactly the same and technically they were not great but they had a clear personality and got lots of comments. So, I hope you don't try and copy the MF perfect capture but nothing to look at other than the goodness route :D

Thanks for your input Alan :)

I don't really want technical perfection with these. I've got blown highlights in some, I've got inadequate DOF in some, I've got 'distractions' in some. I've probably got several of those 'mistakes' all together in some images. I'm not really too worried as long as the image appeals to me in looks or feeling.

I don't really want technical perfection with these. I've got blown highlights in some, I've got inadequate DOF in some, I've got 'distractions' in some. I've probably got several of those 'mistakes' all together in some images. I'm not really too worried as long as the image appeals to me in looks or feeling.
Pretty much my mantra for photography, it's purely a hobby for me so as long as I enjoy it that's all that matters. If friends, family and strangers on the interwebs enjoy them too, then that's a bonus :D

I find it strange that you worry about a stranger on the internet. Very odd behaviour.

Oh I'm not worried about you at all, pleased don't get that impression, not at all. I'm just concerned that other people reading your posts will take what you say as Gospel.

My relatives prints were lovely prints, gorgeous really, and there was really nothing on the technical side to criticise at all if you're the sort of person who can appreciate near perfection but they got no feedback and no comments and I could see why as they lacked just about everything apart from near technical perfection. The person exhibiting next on the wall had a series of pictures which were all composed exactly the same and technically they were not great but they had a clear personality and got lots of comments. So, I hope you don't try and copy the MF perfect capture but nothing to look at other than the goodness route :D
I feel this is the problem with my photos, technically correct but boring/lacking in character. I've tried hard to make them more interesting but I don't seem to find that magic :thinking: I do get the odd image I'm happy with though (y)

I think there's a clear difference in doing things one way when you know what you're doing and the result you're going to get and just getting a result by happy coincidence. We all need a bit of happy coincidence now and again but I also have no doubt that you know what you're doing and I trust that mostly the result you get is what you expected.

I feel this is the problem with my photos, technically correct but boring/lacking in character. I've tried hard to make them more interesting but I don't seem to find that magic :thinking: I do get the odd image I'm happy with though (y)

My relatives pictures where really just technical exercises and I think there is a difference between that and choosing a subject or scene that means something to you and producing a final picture which is also technically good. I'd put the pictures you've posted here in the latter category rather than seeing them as just technical exercises, So I wouldn't worry :D

I can appreciate technical excellence and even see it as art. For example some of the stuff I used to fix was IMO just a visual feast if, that sort of thing floats your boat and it doesn't float everyones.

Pretty much my mantra for photography, it's purely a hobby for me so as long as I enjoy it that's all that matters. If friends, family and strangers on the interwebs enjoy them too, then that's a bonus :D

As I might have said before... sometimes what other people think is a bit of a surprise :D

I've posted pictures which mean a lot to me and they've been pretty much ignored but another day I'll post something I think is average just for something to do and it'll get a load of likes :D Such is life :D

What I find strange is,
1) the petty squabbles between a couple or so members continuing, after I asked that you moved on.
2) I don't recall such squabbles in any other camera "owners thread"

Please move on, no more polite warnings.

A new....

"Project"?

I guess so.

*** by Lee, on Flickr
I love this picture Lee. It has a atmospheric feel to it.

Back