The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Some interesting lenses on the road map, sadly no ultra teles or tele primes.

View attachment 393375
The boy in the Sony shop hinted the 300mm was on the way to me last week. Hard to believe it has taken so long.

I can see myself wanting the new 16-35mm but it is a lens I use far less no I hardly shoot landscapes. used it for general views at stadiums but prefer the Laowa 12mm either on its own or with the magic shift adapter, bigger stadiums the Nikon 16mm fisheye is great. The other MK2s are superb though and less, with the exception of price, is very much more with the new lenses.
On that list the 150-400mm will be the lens I will lust after. If it has a built in tele like Canon and Nikons lens in that range then even better. Although a 1.4 that is separate that can shoot through with no magnification would be brilliant.
I love the 135mm f1.8 although I don't use it enough. Always fancied a 105mm F1.4 but it was far too big and tricky for hand holding and shooting sport. Sony will no doubt make a much smaller, faster focussing lens. A 500mm is still a big gap in their line up.

Really positive to see so many really good focal lenses and the new glass being produced is excellent.

Some interesting lenses on the road map, sadly no ultra teles or tele primes.

View attachment 393375
That 300mm I can only see being somewhere close to the price of the 400mm and 600mm north of £10k.

100-400mm replacement to the GM I would be interested in if compact like the current lens. Internal zoom would be nice but again would need to be under the £3k mark.

Really hope Sigma or 3rd party would make a nice compact 400mm f4 or f5.6 - and teleconverter.

The boy in the Sony shop hinted the 300mm was on the way to me last week. Hard to believe it has taken so long.

I can see myself wanting the new 16-35mm but it is a lens I use far less no I hardly shoot landscapes. used it for general views at stadiums but prefer the Laowa 12mm either on its own or with the magic shift adapter, bigger stadiums the Nikon 16mm fisheye is great. The other MK2s are superb though and less, with the exception of price, is very much more with the new lenses.
On that list the 150-400mm will be the lens I will lust after. If it has a built in tele like Canon and Nikons lens in that range then even better. Although a 1.4 that is separate that can shoot through with no magnification would be brilliant.
I love the 135mm f1.8 although I don't use it enough. Always fancied a 105mm F1.4 but it was far too big and tricky for hand holding and shooting sport. Sony will no doubt make a much smaller, faster focussing lens. A 500mm is still a big gap in their line up.

Really positive to see so many really good focal lenses and the new glass being produced is excellent.
The 150-400mm will be expensive, if it has a TC even more so. The Canon 200-400mm f4 with inbuilt 1.4x TC is an eye watering £12k

Nikon Z8 and Z9 also stacked sensor. If I read correctly made by Sony!!

Also neither have a shutter - all electronic. I moving parts and the sensor shield is that - a sensor shield and not a flimsy shutter curtain.

No blackout. Interesting how different companies are moving forward with the mirrorless tech.
Yep Canikon are moving forwards, it’s impressive how quickly they’ve caught up. I’m not sure I want to go fully electronic yet, there’s still a few scenarios it could be an issue.

it was also massive and heavy.
The Nikon one was about 250g lighter with wider range. I suspect Sony will be lighter still. If they can get it around 3kg it will be a brilliant for field sports. The built in tele is massive though as both other brands managed to build one and it is starting to become expected in the big teles

Yes - I am hoping Sigma make a TC for Sony and a couple of lens options to go with it.

Sigma have made for other mounts.
they have made it for DSLRs because they were mostly just reverse engineering.
but I remember reading somewhere that in case of e-mount they only support whatever Sony allows them to support and Sony currently do not allow TCs from 3rd parties.

On L-mount they are first party.

The Nikon one was about 250g lighter with wider range. I suspect Sony will be lighter still. If they can get it around 3kg it will be a brilliant for field sports. The built in tele is massive though as both other brands managed to build one and it is starting to become expected in the big teles
I'm really looking for <2Kg tele lenses with like 400mm PF and 800mm PF.

they have made it for DSLRs because they were mostly just reverse engineering.
but I remember reading somewhere that in case of e-mount they only support whatever Sony allows them to support and Sony currently do not allow TCs from 3rd parties.

On L-mount they are first party.
Yep, seems weird to open up their mount to 3rd party but then restrict TC’s o_O

Yeah the 400mm f4.5 weighing 1.25kg is great, I didn’t realise it was so expensive though.

Yeah the 400mm f4.5 weighing 1.25kg is great, I didn’t realise it was so expensive though.
I have seen used ones go for £2.5K which isn't a huge lot more than what I paid for a 100-400mm when i was still new on Sony.
The best thing about this lens is with TCs you get 560mm f6.3 (so much lighter compared to 200-600mm f6.3) and 800mm f9 which is still very usable on a sunny day.

800mm PF is £6.3K and I have seen one used/open box go for £5.5K. But its a lot cheaper and lighter than say a 600mm f4+1.4x TC.

Last edited:
I have seen used ones go for £2.5K which isn't a huge lot more than what I paid for a 100-400mm when i was still new on Sony.
The best thing about this lens is with TCs you get 560mm f6.3 (so much lighter compared to 200-600mm f6.3) and 800mm f9 which is still very usable on a sunny day.

800mm PF is £6.3K and I have seen one used/open box go for £5.5K. But its a lot cheaper and lighter than say a 600mm f4+1.4x TC.
Ideally if it was to tempt me away from the 100-400mm it would be a full stop faster.

Sports allows for the use of a monopod far more than shooting birds. Even the 200-600 felt like a tonne weight after 5 hours at Bempton the other day. The PF lenses would not interest me as I like the bigger apertures but they sound brilliant for handholding. The 400mm PF is ridiculously light and would be a brilliant lens for someone starting out in sports. We are getting spoilt these days but it is seriously expensive to get a collection of glass

Ideally if it was to tempt me away from the 100-400mm it would be a full stop faster.
2/3rd stop is still pretty significant tbh.
£2500 (grey) I think is a bargain - £2800 Uk. When you consider the 400mm f2.8 & 600mm are massive and £12k.
grey isn't a huge lot cheaper but I imagine prices will drop over time.

The only consolation on Sony is that I would most likely use 400mm with a 1.4x TC majority of the time and that means its same light gathering as sony 200-600mm.
The weight difference is still hard to ignore.

£2500 (grey) I think is a bargain - £2800 Uk. When you consider the 400mm f2.8 & 600mm are massive and £12k.
I looked somewhere yesterday and it was well over £3k, £2500 is more reasonable but it's still not cheap, like a lot of lenses these days. The 400mm f2.8 and 600mm f4 are just crazy money, you could buy a really nice motorbike for that and I know which I'd rather have ;)
2/3rd stop is still pretty significant tbh.
It is yeah, I was just saying ideally I'd like a full stop difference (y)

I looked somewhere yesterday and it was well over £3k, £2500 is more reasonable but it's still not cheap, like a lot of lenses these days. The 400mm f2.8 and 600mm f4 are just crazy money, you could buy a really nice motorbike for that and I know which I'd rather have ;)
Or make dent on the house mortgage.
Will need to remortgage next year and the way current interest rate are going I may need to sell my nice Pokémon GM collection

It is yeah, I was just saying ideally I'd like a full stop difference (y)
I think it'd make the lens larger. It's lighter than the 100-400mm at the moment but the canon 400mm f4 DOii is 2kg.
Think I'd take the 750g savings over the increase in weight.

Or make dent on the house mortgage.
Will need to remortgage next year and the way current interest rate are going I may need to sell my nice Pokémon GM collection

I think it'd make the lens larger. It's lighter than the 100-400mm at the moment but the canon 400mm f4 DOii is 2kg.
Think I'd take the 750g savings over the increase in weight.
We were very lucky we fixed out mortgage last year for the full length of the mortgage just before the prices started to rise, hopefully you'll find a good rate.

I'd take 750g saving over 1/3 stop of light for sure, I think with the way mirrorless lenses are going they'd be able to get it considerably lighter than 2kg. I can't see Sony making one though, they've never had one in the past and there's never even been a mention of it in the rumours.

I don't know why they don't do lenses like this, or a 600mm f5.6 for those what have not won the lottery and don't want to carry a 3kg lens around.

I'd take 750g saving over 1/3 stop of light for sure, I think with the way mirrorless lenses are going they'd be able to get it considerably lighter than 2kg. I can't see Sony making one though, they've never had one in the past and there's never even been a mention of it in the rumours.

I don't know why they don't do lenses like this, or a 600mm f5.6 for those what have not won the lottery and don't want to carry a 3kg lens around.
I'm also not sure. I have passed the feedback to Sony many times through various sources and reply has always been "but we have got a 200-600mm".

They probably feel there isn't a big enough market for it. Nikon I guess is trying to entice their F-mount users with PF lenses on to Z mount.
Or Sony do not have the expertise to develop such lenses.

There's no 3rd parties either who make such lenses. And canon has just made two lenses on EF mount and left it at that.
It can't just be a coincidence.

I'm also not sure. I have passed the feedback to Sony many times through various sources and reply has always been "but we have got a 200-600mm".

They probably feel there isn't a big enough market for it. Nikon I guess is trying to entice their F-mount users with PF lenses on to Z mount.
Or Sony do not have the expertise to develop such lenses.

There's no 3rd parties either who make such lenses. And canon has just made two lenses on EF mount and left it at that.
It can't just be a coincidence.
Clearly no market, but that surprises me.

after all this lens talk I am thinking about Nikon swap again and how to make it work :headbang:
Don’t do it - says he who started this conversation!!

I am probably going to hire the Z8 and 180-600mm or 400mm f4.5 for a weekend and give it a good rest run side by side to the A1. Probably Oct/Nov by the time it’s all sat on the shelf and back orders sorted.

Sigma have been slow to the Z - maybe Nikon wouldn’t allow them etc.

With the interest in the Z8 pulling more Nikon DSLR users into the mirrorless market I anticipate they will bring more to the party.

Competition is good.

Meanwhile, the old A65s just soldier on. A geometric tree in Exeter...

Geometric tree Haven Road Exe walk A65 16-300 DSC00521.JPG

I like the picture, colours and shapes Andrew but I'd have to banish those dust bunnies.

Don’t do it - says he who started this conversation!!

I am probably going to hire the Z8 and 180-600mm or 400mm f4.5 for a weekend and give it a good rest run side by side to the A1. Probably Oct/Nov by the time it’s all sat on the shelf and back orders sorted.

Sigma have been slow to the Z - maybe Nikon wouldn’t allow them etc.

With the interest in the Z8 pulling more Nikon DSLR users into the mirrorless market I anticipate they will bring more to the party.

Competition is good.
I can’t say I’ve seen a sudden influx of users migrating just because of the Z8 but the system is certainly starting to gain momentum and I’m sure they’ll have a full range of top lenses in the near future, they’ve got quite an impressive range already (y)

I’m sure the Z8 will stand up well against the A1, and it will almost certainly provide a better bang for buck.

I can’t say I’ve seen a sudden influx of users migrating just because of the Z8 but the system is certainly starting to gain momentum and I’m sure they’ll have a full range of top lenses in the near future, they’ve got quite an impressive range already (y)

I’m sure the Z8 will stand up well against the A1, and it will almost certainly provide a better bang for buck.

I think price of the Z8 makes is an very attractive choice. At the same price point you have R5, A7RV, A9II. R5 and A9II seem less attractive in comparison.
A7RV still has few bits going for it but Z8 isn't far off there either.

I wonder if Nikon is trying to compete where Canon/Sony quite aren't. There aren't the same kind of native long telephoto options on Canon or Sony at the moment. Of course if you are willing to spend 5 figures they've all got options but for the rest Nikon seems to have the most options now.
Sony has a few more 3rd party options but they all serve a similar range/type of lenses.

But as Simon said competition is good. Also makes me think Canon/Sony are selling their bodies with a fairly large profit margins.

But as Simon said competition is good. Also makes me think Canon/Sony are selling their bodies with a fairly large profit margins.
It is more likely that Nikon are doing the reverse- keeping the margins on bodies low to get people onto their system. Its what Sony did originally with A-Mount, when I bought my A200 (many years back), it was priced so the A200 + Kit lens was cheaper than the lowest priced Canon / Nikon body only offerings - obviously the Z8 is not an entry level camera, but the same principle applies - get people to buy the bodies, and make the money on the lenses and other accessories later (plus gain market share, which makes your cameras more attractive in general).
Sony failed, but they didn't have the large following of existing users that Nikon has.

Also makes me think Canon/Sony are selling their bodies with a fairly large profit margins.
They certainly are with the A1 imo, never understood the price of that. I'm not as clued up on Canon but I know some of their lenses seem overly expensive.

They certainly are with the A1 imo, never understood the price of that. I'm not as clued up on Canon but I know some of their lenses seem overly expensive.

The RF glass could be designed for a lot higher MP count than Sony/Nikon, hence the price.

Interesting also that Canon and Sony also design/manufacture their own sensors whereas other manufacturers buy in.

I'm sure that all manufacturers are guilty of charging what they can get away with whilst still remaining competitive and reatining sales. In the last couple of years we have seen quite a price hike, especially if you look back at near top of range body plus holy trinity of lenses.

The RF glass could be designed for a lot higher MP count than Sony/Nikon, hence the price.

Interesting also that Canon and Sony also design/manufacture their own sensors whereas other manufacturers buy in.

I'm sure that all manufacturers are guilty of charging what they can get away with whilst still remaining competitive and reatining sales. In the last couple of years we have seen quite a price hike, especially if you look back at near top of range body plus holy trinity of lenses.
Yep, I paid £1250 for the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR II from Jessops, although that was after cashback, IIRC it was £1500 full price so today's 70-200mm's are 70% more than they were meaning they've gone up 10%/year :oops: :$

Back