The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It's not a type of camera that I'd be interested in - do Canon / Nikon have anything comparable in that sector, or is Sony taking advantage of a gap in the market?
I don't know of any canon ones. Nikon has a Z30.
But no one has the number of vlog cameras as Sony or the lenses that work well for vlogs.

Do we get charged import duty if we buy things from the EU these days?

This looks a good deal after cash back if not.

Yep, good ol' Brexit
It's not that straightforward, some sellers will deal with the duty & VAT and include it in the price. Amazon are a good example, i've bought stuff rom the EU and US since brexit and all taxes are included.

Yep, good ol' Brexit

Another way to look at it in cold financial terms is the UK's net contribution in 2020 was about £188 for every man woman and child in the UK. You should factor that into your budget and shopping.

Another way to look at it in cold financial terms is the UK's net contribution in 2020 was about £188 for every man woman and child in the UK. You should factor that into your budget and shopping.
that was because of the financial settlement for leaving the EU. While in the EU we benefitted more from being in it than out.

that was because of the financial settlement for leaving the EU. While in the EU we benefitted more from being in it than out.

Pick a year and google it.
2018? £164 for every person in the UK based on a population of 67m.
2015? £130 based on a population of 65m.

I wouldn't mind paying for access to a trading block if the numbers stacked up but it's the politics, the lack of transparency, accountability and democracy that always got to me.

Maybe Brexit should be left as a subject for the Hot Topics section.

Pick a year and google it.
2018? £164 for every person in the UK based on a population of 67m.
2015? £130 based on a population of 65m.

I wouldn't mind paying for access to a trading block if the numbers stacked up but it's the politics, the lack of transparency, accountability and democracy that always got to me.

Maybe Brexit should be left as a subject for the Hot Topics section.
I think all politics should be left alone online ;)

If only.

Unfortunately Brexit is something that a lot of people just wont drop.
I’ve got my opinions on it, I just keep them to myself as it’s a subject (as is politics in general) that seems to get people fired up.

Thanks for the facepalm nandy but seeing you repeatedly commenting on Brexit gets irritating and this really should be a HT thing. Sorry if you can't take an opposing view but I'm tired of it and emojis, so tired it's time for a self imposed holiday.

I think all politics should be left alone online ;)
The problem isn't so much politics being discussed on-line, it's that too many simply seem unable to actually take part in an on-line discussion (or face to face one, for that matter) and actually discuss politics, rather than simply argue and ignore any view that doesn't agree with their own.
A failing that appears to occur amongst politicians (of all parties) as well :(

Thanks for the facepalm nandy but seeing you repeatedly commenting on Brexit gets irritating and this really should be a HT thing.
welcome, you didn't want to talk about it so I just reacted with a emoji and left it at that.
Sorry if you can't take an opposing view but I'm tired of it and emojis, so tired it's time for a self imposed holiday.
you will find that it was you who decided to jump into the conversation because it was opposing your views.
I simply stated that we now have to pay customs/duty on imports from EU thanks to Brexit which is a fact. not really an opinion.

Last edited:
The problem isn't so much politics being discussed on-line, it's that too many simply seem unable to actually take part in an on-line discussion (or face to face one, for that matter) and actually discuss politics, rather than simply argue and ignore any view that doesn't agree with their own.
A failing that appears to occur amongst politicians (of all parties) as well :(
Yeah it’s weird how others try to enforce their views on someone else and won’t accept others have a different point of view, but that’s life and I try not to get bogged down with it (y)

Just out of curiosity I looked at how much I’d get for selling the 50mm f1.2, MPB offered £945, camera jungle offered £1320, that’s quite a difference :oops: :$

And no I’m not considering selling it ;)

Just out of curiosity I looked at how much I’d get for selling the 50mm f1.2, MPB offered £945, camera jungle offered £1320, that’s quite a difference :oops: :$

Camerajungle have been pretty good recently, had some surprisingly good prices offered for my Sony gear, seriously considering it rather than trying to swerve the low ballers on TP and scammers on ebay. The bigger question is Leica, Fuji GFX or give my head a wobble and do nothing :ROFLMAO:

That's pretty low from MPB.
Wex is offering £1200. could probably get similar from LCE.

Camerajungle have been pretty good recently, had some surprisingly good prices offered for my Sony gear, seriously considering it rather than trying to swerve the low ballers on TP and scammers on ebay. The bigger question is Leica, Fuji GFX or give my head a wobble and do nothing :ROFLMAO:

Nothing. Doing nothing won't cause me any jealousy :):ROFLMAO:

Looking back at last year's photos from the Cromford Classic Car and Bike Show I'd say that on the whole I think the Samyang 50mm f1.4 FE II has a touch more of the 3D/pop that I like compared to the 50mm f1.2 although it's hard to tell for sure, but the difference between the 35mm f1.8 and 35mm f1.4 GM is night and day with regards to this aspect, in the favour of the GM of course (y)

Last edited:
Looking back at last year's photos from the Cromford Classic Car and Bike Show I'd say that on the whole I think the Samyang 50mm f1.4 FE II has a touch more of the 3D/pop that I like compared to the 50mm f1.2 although it's hard to tell for sure, but the difference between the 35mm f1.8 and 35mm f1.4 GM is night and day with regards to this aspect, in the favour of the GM of course (y)

Toby, this might be the effect for shooting at F1.4 rather then F1.2, I did comment previously that I felt that although F1.2 gave a razor thin DOF it wasn’t quite to my taste and I would have preferred a little more DOF, a bit more if the car in focus (especially) on angled shots IMO gives a better image rather than super thin DOF

Try shooting the GM50mm at F1.4/F1.8/F2 and see what you think.

Toby, this might be the effect for shooting at F1.4 rather then F1.2, I did comment previously that I felt that although F1.2 gave a razor thin DOF it wasn’t quite to my taste and I would have preferred a little more DOF, a bit more if the car in focus (especially) on angled shots IMO gives a better image rather than super thin DOF

I agree about the recent angled shots of the car, great at the front of the car but if your favourite bit of the car design is towards the back you are out of luck , do understand that is a choice made if you particularly like pics at low aperture.
I have angled pictures of our dog taken with the 135gm which look worse imo, the dogs eyes/face looks good but much behind that just doesn’t look right.

I have some at f1.4 on both :p I’ve always liked the rendering of the Samyang’s and always thought they’ve had great 3D rendering (y)
Toby needs to get into hi-fi and start listening to different cables then he'll just go and take photos :ROFLMAO:

The lab coat never dies…………….
It’s from taking photos that I’ve noticed :p

I agree about the recent angled shots of the car, great at the front of the car but if your favourite bit of the car design is towards the back you are out of luck , do understand that is a choice made if you particularly like pics at low aperture.
I have angled pictures of our dog taken with the 135gm which look worse imo, the dogs eyes/face looks good but much behind that just doesn’t look right.
Yep, personal preference. I’ve started moving away from using my 70-200mm for shooting dog photos as I think it causes too much compression, but I still like shallow DOF (y)

Toby needs to get into hi-fi and start listening to different cables then he'll just go and take photos :ROFLMAO:

The hi-fi world is demonstrably daft, but in the amp building world we would often compare the tone of different caps, resistors, valves, types of guitar leads etc. Some of which made for quite astonishing and clearly audible differences when recorded carefully.

I see Toby's experiments as more like this, comparing things that really are different, even if only some can see the difference.

Cannot un-see what has been seen (text got autocorrected)
There were some cars at the Festival I've been to this afternoon (although couldn't get a good shot due to background) and did a quick test. Aperture definitely plays a part as "the look" is more apparent at f1.2 than f1.8, however what I've also discovered in looking into why the Samyang has the look I like and vignette plays a part too. The Samyang has no profile correction in LR, and when I've removed some of the vignette correction from the f1.2 it has more of the look. Who knew :LOL:

There were some cars at the Festival I've been to this afternoon (although couldn't get a good shot due to background) and did a quick test. Aperture definitely plays a part as "the look" is more apparent at f1.2 than f1.8, however what I've also discovered in looking into why the Samyang has the look I like and vignette plays a part too. The Samyang has no profile correction in LR, and when I've removed some of the vignette correction from the f1.2 it has more of the look. Who knew :LOL:

FWIW just did the DPOTY shoot tonight in the kitchen. When screening the pictures afterwards I found that I mostly preferred the Sammy (50 f1.4 MkI) pictures over the Tamron 90mm Macro that I had also used. It's NOT the field of view, but rather there's just something about the rendering I prefer. Should probably have used the 55 f1.8 for extra detail, but it's only a lens I reach for when I want neutrality.

FWIW just did the DPOTY shoot tonight in the kitchen. When screening the pictures afterwards I found that I mostly preferred the Sammy (50 f1.4 MkI) pictures over the Tamron 90mm Macro that I had also used. It's NOT the field of view, but rather there's just something about the rendering I prefer. Should probably have used the 55 f1.8 for extra detail, but it's only a lens I reach for when I want neutrality.
No idea what DPOTY is but there is something special about Samyang rendering (y)

Last edited:
Back