The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

That's kind of saying the same thing, unfortunately when cropping we do use the wrong term and it should be field of view, however field of view is controlled a result of focal length so the terms are used interchangeably. That's why a 16mm on APS-C looks like 24mm on full frame etc etc (y)
You also need to change depth of field to get them to match as well. And a host of other attributes.

Anyone asked for any new equipment for Christmas?

Last edited:
You also need to change depth of field to get them to match as well. And a host of other attributes.
That’s an attribute of the camera to subject distance so if you’re shooting at say 24mm on FF and 16mm on crop body/in crop mode you’ll be stood in the same place to get the same framing and therefore depth of field will be the same (assuming you’re using the equivalent aperture).

So going back to the original question, yes you can use APS-C mode to make the file size smaller but your field of view/effective focal length will be different (y)

Thanks everyone. My problem is the weight of the larger lens when I go on a plane. Long story short. I have a Sony A73 FF that I love. Also a Tamron 150-500, that I also love, but the Tamron 150-500 (light as it is compared to the Sony's was still a lump to carry on a plane). So I bought the sony 70-350 lens and a Sony A6400 camera. I then put the same settings on both cameras. Then using the 70-350 (yes it's not FF) on both cameras. I took several photos of the same object with the A73 in FF mode (yes the edge was gone), but most of the rest was there. I took several photos in APS-C mode, and several photos with the A6400. As I say all same settings, and the lens set at 350mm. I then picked the best photo from all three ways of shooting. Then with a crop only on the object, I found the best picture was the A73 in FF, then the A73 in APS-C mode and lastly the A6400. So reading a lot on line if I get a bigger MP camera I can take photos of birds and sunsets (for instance) with the Sony 70-350mm as a telephoto lens, and with a crop get almost the same or similar quality as I get with the Tamron 150-500. But it will be a lot lighter. In the UK I will use the Tamron 150-500. But I am worried about to many MPs taking up HD space, hence I am hoping the APS-C setting on the Sony A7R IV will have lower size photo's, whilest using it in telephoto. Complicated I know, not perfect, but it will be so much lighter to take abroad and still give me a degree of telephoto.

Thanks everyone. My problem is the weight of the larger lens when I go on a plane. Long story short. I have a Sony A73 FF that I love. Also a Tamron 150-500, that I also love, but the Tamron 150-500 (light as it is compared to the Sony's was still a lump to carry on a plane). So I bought the sony 70-350 lens and a Sony A6400 camera. I then put the same settings on both cameras. Then using the 70-350 (yes it's not FF) on both cameras. I took several photos of the same object with the A73 in FF mode (yes the edge was gone), but most of the rest was there. I took several photos in APS-C mode, and several photos with the A6400. As I say all same settings, and the lens set at 350mm. I then picked the best photo from all three ways of shooting. Then with a crop only on the object, I found the best picture was the A73 in FF, then the A73 in APS-C mode and lastly the A6400. So reading a lot on line if I get a bigger MP camera I can take photos of birds and sunsets (for instance) with the Sony 70-350mm as a telephoto lens, and with a crop get almost the same or similar quality as I get with the Tamron 150-500. But it will be a lot lighter. In the UK I will use the Tamron 150-500. But I am worried about to many MPs taking up HD space, hence I am hoping the APS-C setting on the Sony A7R IV will have lower size photo's, whilest using it in telephoto. Complicated I know, not perfect, but it will be so much lighter to take abroad and still give me a degree of telephoto.
The short answer is yes using the A7R IV will give smaller file sizes in APS-C mode than using it in FF mode. This will work great for teles as you want as much reach as you want, so 350mm on APS-C mode will give the effective focal length/FOV as a 525mm lens. However, when using wide angle lenses you don't really want to be in APS-C mode as it narrows down the field of view, therefore you'll want it in FF mode and the large file sizes that come with it. Of course, you can use compressed raw which makes the file size smaller without any real noticeable loss of IQ in the real world, and of course jpeg which is smaller still.

I've just had a look on the Pergear site to see if I can see an update on the lens I ordered and I noticed that they'd removed my review saying that the f stops on the one I had were not as indicated, that I'd told them this and was waiting for a response, which I never got.

If the next lens is exactly the same I'm going to post my findings everywhere I can including the Pergear site, again and again.

I forgot to mention above, when I had the A7R IV one way I reduced file size was to covert them to .dng using Adobe's DNG converter, the .dng files were noticeably smaller than the .arw files with no difference in quality or processing maleability from the testing I did.

I forgot to mention above, when I had the A7R IV one way I reduced file size was to covert them to .dng using Adobe's DNG converter, the .dng files were noticeably smaller than the .arw files with no difference in quality or processing maleability from the testing I did.

Actually, that reminded me. I do shoot in compressed RAW for all my photos except night skies - unless night sky timelapse, compressed too!

From memory I think it roughly halved the file size? I might be wrong there. At the gym so can't check right now lol

Great idea, thank you.

Interesting idea
Do you batch convert all your files?
I guess it's too late for my imports from more than 10 years now.
I just wish all camera manufacturers would do DNG out of the camera like pentax or Leica

Last edited:
Having used dng conversion for several years, I find that although the base data is the same, the file as interpreted by some software will look different and require different adjustments. dng files didn't seem to carry over the 'system' adjustments, so opening ARW and dng format images in On1 gave different starting points.

Interesting idea
Do you batch convert all your files?
I guess it's too late for my imports from more than 10 years now.
I just wish all camera manufacturers would do DNG out of the camera like pentax or Leica
I used to batch convert when. had the A7RIV, now I have the A1 I shoot in lossless compressed so converting to .dng has little effect.
Having used dng conversion for several years, I find that although the base data is the same, the file as interpreted by some software will look different and require different adjustments. dng files didn't seem to carry over the 'system' adjustments, so opening ARW and dng format images in On1 gave different starting points.
Ahh yes, maybe I should have said my testing was done in Lightroom, I can't say how they work with non adobe products (y)

I used to batch convert when. had the A7RIV, now I have the A1 I shoot in lossless compressed so converting to .dng has little effect.
Ah ok you meant DNG was smaller than uncompressed RAW
I don't even mind Sony's lossy compression majority of the time.

Been doing a bit of research and thought these might help

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 08.16.15.jpg

For some reason in the specs it doesn't have the file size for the native 3:2 ratio, but here in 4:3 you can choose between L, M and S file size showing the difference in resolution, and also the resolution drop from FF to APS-C. In 4:3 it drops from 54mp to 23mp going from FF to APS-C therefore you'd have thought file size would roughly half, but without testing I can't confirm this.
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 08.19.14.jpg

Here you can see going from uncompressed to compressed you can fit just over twice as many photos on a memory card, therefore I'd again assume file sizes are roughly halved

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 08.13.33.jpg

Reviving a discussion of a week or so again regarding Topaz AI and photo competitions I saw this

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 08.53.18.jpg

however my Topaz images are exported with the profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as per the requirement so I'm wondering how else they can tell if an image has been put through Topaz?

I've wanted to take this picture for years but hadn't got around to it until today. Sadly the weather and light were not good so I'll have to try another day :D

From this spot I think the perspective and the hills and buildings are at their best, which is why I wanted this... or a one of this in better conditions :D

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.2.

DSC03974.jpg

A new to me A1 turned up today, really looking forward to seeing what this can do with the 200-600 as was so impressed with the A6700
Nice, all I can say is it's a beast (y)

thank you, I look forward to getting out soon when this weather brightens up! It feels like its not stopped raining on Exmoor since July ‍!
Same here, worst year I can remember :(

It's been some time since I contributed to the thread, so here's a few from recent months. All photos with A7iii & Sony 200-600mm

1: Bearded Tit (male)
DSC01604-Edit-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

2: Waxwing
DSC03686-Edit-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

3: Bearded Tit (male and female)
DSC01541-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

4: Nuthatch
DSC02250-Edit-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

5: Long Tailed Tit
DSC03464-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

6: Reed Bunting
DSC03401-Edit-3 by A Andrades, on Flickr

7: Robin
DSC04847-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

8: Marsh Tit
DSC05123-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

Same here.

As Mrs WW tells me, one day this will end.

In the past I've thought of a date in the future and every day I then live through is a day closer to that date and the awfulness being over. I have to say it's not exactly working for me at the moment but perhaps it can for you.

It's been some time since I contributed to the thread, so here's a few from recent months. All photos with A7iii & Sony 200-600mm

1: Bearded Tit (male)
DSC01604-Edit-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

2: Waxwing
DSC03686-Edit-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

3: Bearded Tit (male and female)
DSC01541-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

4: Nuthatch
DSC02250-Edit-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

5: Long Tailed Tit
DSC03464-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

6: Reed Bunting
DSC03401-Edit-3 by A Andrades, on Flickr

7: Robin
DSC04847-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

8: Marsh Tit
DSC05123-Edit by A Andrades, on Flickr

What a super set! Congratulations.

That looks very good to me.

What is the glitch?

I can see duplicated people but I actually quite like that :D

Philip Reeve has a "Year in pictures" piece which people might like...

Nice to see a Pergear 35mm f1.4 picture there but I do have to say that I liked others he'd taken with that lens better. I've taken some pictures I really like with that lens but I need convincing that it is indeed a f1.4 lens and not a f2.2 lens. I'll test my next copy thoroughly when it arrives :D It is on its way :D

Last edited:
Ye
That looks very good to me.

What is the glitch?

I can see duplicated people but I actually quite like that :D

Yes it’s the duplicated people that I didn’t spot until I’d finished editing the overall picture, made me smile when I saw it.

I found this quite moving.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mRBjJUMtU

I can understand how he feels and I can understand the imposter syndrome he's mentioned before.

Thankfully I have no ambitions at all to improve, post amazing ever improving content or have xx number of followers so those pressures pass me by but I can see how these things can take hold.

I can also relate to the comments he makes about the gym. Being a bit small I went through years of force feeding myself and compulsive exercise but these days I'm much more comfortable and even maybe completely comfortable in my own body.

In all these things I hope that he can get a little more balance and happiness in this life.

I feel like an imposter all the time, but luckily all those thoughts goes out the window during the date of the shoot, it's a bit like I don't have time to think, just do and go with my instincts.

Back