The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I feel like an imposter all the time, but luckily all those thoughts goes out the window during the date of the shoot, it's a bit like I don't have time to think, just do and go with my instincts.

I suppose I used to suffer from this most in my computer and management days but when I was suffering at my worst all I had to do was look around me at the competition and then for some reason I usually felt a little better about myself :LOL:

Your pictures are great Raymond. You needn't think any differently.

Me, Mrs WW and my A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 went to Carols in the car park.

f1.2 pictures. 1st at 1/60 and ISO 12,800 and 2nd at a more reasonable 1/125 and ISO 100.

That's Mrs WW slightly right of centre in the brown boots with the white trim.

DSC03992.jpg

DSC03993.jpg

A while back I mentioned some strange effects at ISO 25,600 with the Pergear that I thought might be a light leak but wasn't. It happened again tonight with the Voigtlander but wasn't visible at ISO 12,800. I'm sure it didn't always do this so maybe the 10 year old + sensor is aging a bit?

Last edited:
Thankfully I have no ambitions at all to improve, post amazing ever improving content or have xx number of followers so those pressures pass me by but I can see how these things can take hold.
I think it's sad many see this as a dream job whereas I think in reality it would be a nightmare for me, when I log into Youtube I get the dashboard view which shows the various stats for my engagement this week. I'm so glad I don't have to pay any attention to those and constantly worrying about producing interesting new content and even if you do well, it can disappear at any time as trends change or something else happens.

I think it's sad many see this as a dream job whereas I think in reality it would be a nightmare for me, when I log into Youtube I get the dashboard view which shows the various stats for my engagement this week. I'm so glad I don't have to pay any attention to those and constantly worrying about producing interesting new content and even if you do well, it can disappear at any time as trends change or something else happens.
I’m like you, I wouldn’t like it. Having to do things at other’s beck and call, having all those demands of processing etc etc. I’m sure it would start getting very ‘samey’ very quickly. Of course the same could be said for any job, but a lot of jobs aren’t also a hobby.

For me wedding photography would be the absolute worst, I think possibly something like studio fashion photography would appeal to me the most. Of course, F1 and Moto GP sound great but I can imagine you can get sick of taking the same cars going round and round. The pit lane and grid would be interesting though.

I think it would kill it as a hobby for me.

As I might have mentioned about a million times :D I used to work in the computer industry and the house was full of them. I lived and breathed them. Now, I can hardly stand the sight of them and apart from photography, posting on here and shopping and banking etc I have no interest. Doubly so when it comes to smart phones :D If photography was in any way a job for me I don't think it'd last.

Next year will be 7 years since the Sony 100-400mm GM was released which seems like quite a while yet I’ve never seen any rumours of an update.

Part of me thinks it’s not that surprising as it’s still a very good lens, both optically and in terms of AF but I wonder if they’ll ever be able to make a 100-400mm with internal zoom? I can’t think of any 100-400mm with internal zoom but as they’ve made the 200-600mm with internal zoom it makes me think that it should be possible to do it with a 100-400mm, or are there some physical limitations?

10% off Sony 20-70mm at Wex making it £969 after cashback. Still not as cheap as grey but a great price for those that don’t like buying grey.

I think it would kill it as a hobby for me.

As I might have mentioned about a million times :D I used to work in the computer industry and the house was full of them. I lived and breathed them. Now, I can hardly stand the sight of them and apart from photography, posting on here and shopping and banking etc I have no interest. Doubly so when it comes to smart phones :D If photography was in any way a job for me I don't think it'd last.
It’s not so bad if like me you work taking pictures of something you enjoy. Sport photography was different because there was so many different sports to cover and I did wildlife when things were quiet.

It’s not so bad if like me you work taking pictures of something you enjoy. Sport photography was different because there was so many different sports to cover and I did wildlife when things were quiet.
I think it would spoil it for me regardless of whether it was something I enjoyed or not. I get bored of doing the same thing over and over hence why I only go to 3 or 4 sports events per year, why I’ve not been to a wildlife park for a few years etc etc.

Next year will be 7 years since the Sony 100-400mm GM was released which seems like quite a while yet I’ve never seen any rumours of an update.

Part of me thinks it’s not that surprising as it’s still a very good lens, both optically and in terms of AF but I wonder if they’ll ever be able to make a 100-400mm with internal zoom? I can’t think of any 100-400mm with internal zoom but as they’ve made the 200-600mm with internal zoom it makes me think that it should be possible to do it with a 100-400mm, or are there some physical limitations?

I wonder if they can make it a lot smaller and lighter instead of internal zoom.

As it's nearly Christmas has anyone bought any photography related presents for themselves or someone else? Or maybe you are hoping someone has bought you something?

I bought myself a Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 and the replacement Pergear which is on its way to me was free as I got a refund on the first one. Actually the second one cost less then the first so I made a slight profit. I also treated myself to a new set of cartridges for my Epson printer (they haven't half gone up since last time I bought a set) and two boxes of paper.

I found this quite moving.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mRBjJUMtU

I can understand how he feels and I can understand the imposter syndrome he's mentioned before.

Thankfully I have no ambitions at all to improve, post amazing ever improving content or have xx number of followers so those pressures pass me by but I can see how these things can take hold.

I can also relate to the comments he makes about the gym. Being a bit small I went through years of force feeding myself and compulsive exercise but these days I'm much more comfortable and even maybe completely comfortable in my own body.

In all these things I hope that he can get a little more balance and happiness in this life.

Just watched this. And yeah, I can fully get where he's coming from.

Just watched this. And yeah, I can fully get where he's coming from.

It's a shame. I think he does seem to be a genuinely nice guy, from what I've seen of him. I hope he can get over or at least come to terms with the worse aspects of this.

As it's nearly Christmas has anyone bought any photography related presents for themselves or someone else? Or maybe you are hoping someone has bought you something?

I bought myself a Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 and the replacement Pergear which is on its way to me was free as I got a refund on the first one. Actually the second one cost less then the first so I made a slight profit. I also treated myself to a new set of cartridges for my Epson printer (they haven't half gone up since last time I bought a set) and two boxes of paper.

Nope. I'm having trainers & mystery stuff from the missus. And I bought a load of car cleaning supplies which is going to be from the kids. Some of which I'll probably be using on the daughters car at some point...... :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: Knowing my daughter, she's probably got other little bits too even though I told her I didn't want anything else from either of them this year especially.

I was going to get my son a dummy battery thing for his A6000 for star trails etc but he wanted the Lego Concorde. My daughter has a dashcam she wanted - she's currently got an old one from her stepdad but it's a £20 Amazon one..... So she's got a Nextbase coming.

I'm still deciding which way to go with the sensor modification for myself.......!

It's a shame. I think he does seem to be a genuinely nice guy, from what I've seen of him. I hope he can get over or at least come to terms with the worse aspects of this.

I'm pretty sure he will. Sometimes it is just a temporary mindset thing isn't it. And pretty common in many fields as we know.

I bought myself a Pergear 260Gb CF Express card.
Our family do a Secret Santa amongst ourselves to the value of £25.
I asked for a memory card and my "Secret Santa" asked me to buy one so that they don't buy the wrong type and he/she would reimburse my £25.
I'll have to look surprised when I open my gift :LOL:

Not that exciting, but I have asked for the fotovue Essex book

I normally get money for Christmas to buy what I want and not end up with tat that I didn't want.
Thinking of getting the a7cii but I'll have to sell my a7c + 28-60 first.
Something to think about over the next week or so :thinking:
I have taken your excellent backpack suggestion and asked Santa for it

I think it would spoil it for me regardless of whether it was something I enjoyed or not. I get bored of doing the same thing over and over hence why I only go to 3 or 4 sports events per year, why I’ve not been to a wildlife park for a few years etc etc.
I think I'd be exactly the same, I love going to motorsports events but after a few days of it I've had my fill and it's not something I do again for a while. Sometimes I'm really fired up with the cameras and taking a lot of photos but there's other times I'm not taking any as I'm not in the mood.

I debated treating myself to something but couldn't find anything that I wanted.

Me and the missus stopped buying each other stuff at Christmas a few years ago. It allows us to spend a bit more on the kids and it was always difficult trying to buy each other. I am difficult to buy for apparently. She used to get me photo stuff every year but it got to the point where she was just asking what I wanted and tbh it's just easier to buy anything I want myself. It's much harder to get excited about buying photography stuff when it's just stuff you need for work.

My missus is also a bit awful at buying presents, donkeys years ago when we had just moved in together I wanted a Nintendo Wii, dropped about half a million hints that was what I wanted. So come Christmas morning there was a Wii shaped box under the tree. Unfortunately on opening it, I found out that she had actually bought me a toasted sandwich maker. Was absolutely gutted and went out on boxing day and bought the Wii myself. :D Have never forgiven her. :D

The kids will probably get me something and my mum always gets me a nice aftershave and my wee bro usually gets me car cleaning stuff, but other than that I probably won't be getting any other presents.

The most exciting thing for us this year was buying our eldest her first car which we bought and gave her a while ago, we couldn't wait until Christmas. She is coming along well with the driving now, she will be doing her theory test at the start of the new year and as soon as he passes we will get her booked in for her practical.

Last edited:

So many things I'd like. Sony 35mm f1.4, Sony 20-70 f4.
But hobbies wise photography just isn't as high up the list as it used to be.

I have a Peak Design Carbon Travel Tripod on the way :banana:
My missus is also a bit awful at buying presents, donkeys years ago when we had just moved in together I wanted a Nintendo Wii, dropped about half a million hints that was what I wanted. So come Christmas morning there was a Wii shaped box under the tree. Unfortunately on opening it, I found out that she had actually bought me a toasted sandwich maker. Was absolutely gutted and went out on boxing day and bought the Wii myself. :D Have never forgiven her. :D

The kids will probably get me something and my mum always gets me a nice aftershave and my wee bro usually gets me car cleaning stuff, but other than that I probably won't be getting any other presents.

The most exciting thing for us this year was buying our eldest her first car which we bought and gave her a while ago, we couldn't wait until Christmas. She is coming along well with the driving now, she will be doing her theory test at the start of the new year and as soon as he passes we will get her booked in for her practical.
Best present ever :cool: ;)
So many things I'd like. Sony 35mm f1.4, Sony 20-70 f4.
But hobbies wise photography just isn't as high up the list as it used to be.
I think the 35mm GM is my favourite lens these days. Always been a 50mm person in the past but things have changed. I think I'll get the 20-70mm at some point in 2024.

Last edited:
Nobody wanted that make your own paper camera book I posted about but I forgot about it so it's too late for Christmas now. If no one wants it I'll put it in the free stuff section after Christmas and new year.

It'll be a strange Christmas for us. Mam died and the family fell apart before that so it was going to be just me and Mrs WW. We were going to go to church and then go for a walk at the seaside and then have a simple meal of nibbles but we have friends coming over now. As Mrs WW is Buddhist and hasn't been used to the present giving tradition until she came here she said she doesn't want any presents at all this year so it is going to be a very strange Christmas but a change is as good as a rest.

Nobody wanted that make your own paper camera book I posted about but I forgot about it so it's too late for Christmas now. If no one wants it I'll put it in the free stuff section after Christmas and new year.

It'll be a strange Christmas for us. Mam died and the family fell apart before that so it was going to be just me and Mrs WW. We were going to go to church and then go for a walk at the seaside and then have a simple meal of nibbles but we have friends coming over now. As Mrs WW is Buddhist and hasn't been used to the present giving tradition until she came here she said she doesn't want any presents at all this year so it is going to be a very strange Christmas but a change is as good as a rest.
Our Christmas is undecided as yet.
Some of us had Covid (me included) but are all negative now - I'm just tired and weak.
Then the Grandkids got sent home from nursery as there was a rampant sickness bug now all that part of the family are down with it.
A runny nose I can just about handle but a runny bum?? Nah, not for me :LOL:
To make things worse, our Son-in-Law's dad has Lung Cancer that has spread to his brain so sadly, this could be his last Christmas as a family.
The last thing we want to do is to pass anything on to him.
Hopefully everyone will be fine on the day - fingers crossed

That couple again on the A9III.

And...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nimf0d0wFhU

I don't know how people can make judgements yet as as far as I know no one has had access to production raws.
Some YouTubers like Northrups have no intention of maintaining consistency or quality.
They realise internet's collective memory is rather short. So they'll make whatever content necessary and say whatever is needed to get the clicks and $$

I don't think they are influenced by camera brands but I do believe they are influenced by needing to generate lots of clicks.
No one switches brand like they do and more brands they switch and more "BESTEST camera ever" videos they make, more clicks they get. And to some extent they are actually honest about it on their own channel lol

I don't know how people can make judgements yet as as far as I know no one has had access to production raws.
I thought raws had been assessed properly now?

I thought raws had been assessed properly now?

As far as I know no one has access to what will be production firmware and therefore I'm just guessing that any image quality assessments made without it may not be the whole truth. Time will tell.

As far as I know no one has access to what will be production firmware and therefore I'm just guessing that any image quality assessments made without it may not be the whole truth. Time will tell.
What were the Northrups testing, jpeg?

Back