The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I really wish you listed those some other time. Would have picked both of them up.
unfortunately quite tight at the moment :(

I would have too a year ago! Still wished I either got the Xpro 2 for £599 or the x100f for £799.

But now I’m happy with the XS10 and happy to wait for next x100.

I don't think anyone here will be interested but my X100f will be off to a dealer if it doesn't sell here today ditto my Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 e mount. I don't know what to do with the Syoptic 50mm f1.1 e mount but I'll make my mind up and if it doesn't sell today it too may be off to a dealer.

I've also listed most of my MF Nikon lenses, AIS, Series E and also a couple of gorgeous Kippon Kogaku lenses. Again, if there's no interest these will be off to a dealer next week.
Shame I can’t see the Classifieds section due to me being a new member :(

I would have too a year ago! Still wished I either got the Xpro 2 for £599 or the x100f for £799.

But now I’m happy with the XS10 and happy to wait for next x100.
I had the x100v for a couple months.
Wasn't really suitable for us.
With kids, we really want/need good reliable and fast AF. Especially for a family camera.

I had the x100v for a couple months.
Wasn't really suitable for us.
With kids, we really want/need good reliable and fast AF. Especially for a family camera.
I've toyed with an X100 many times but I always come to the same conclusion, f2 on a wide APS-C doesn't give any decent subject isolation (except extreme close up) and so only really suitable for "everything in focus" shots.

I've toyed with an X100 many times but I always come to the same conclusion, f2 on a wide APS-C doesn't give any decent subject isolation (except extreme close up) and so only really suitable for "everything in focus" shots.
Same here. I’d love to own one though just to scratch the itch. I love the way it looks!

You can get some thin DoF to some extent as of course it's not too far away from f2.8 on FF.

The X100 range are nice cameras and the old style dials are lovely but my X100f was stuck between my MFT and A7 so really didn't get much use. I only used it a few times as I always seemed to choose my A7 and if going for something smaller I tended to choose my MFT over it.

These were taken with my X100s which went back as the evf kept going dark.

f2.

DSCF0100.jpg

f2.8.

DSCF0098.jpg

One good thing about the X100s/f I had are that they fitted in my winter coat inside pocket nicely whereas my very similarly sized MFT cameras don't as they tend to fall forward and feel uncomfortable in the same pocket.

PS.
Ah. I managed to find an f2 picture taken with the X100f.

DSCF0611.jpg

Last edited:
You can get some thin DoF to some extent as of course it's not too far away from f2.8 on FF.

The X100 range are nice cameras and the old style dials are lovely but my X100f was stuck between my MFT and A7 so really didn't get much use. I only used it a few times as I always seemed to choose my A7 and if going for something smaller I tended to choose my MFT over it.

f2.
f2.8.
One good thing about the X100s/f I had are that they fitted in my winter coat inside pocket nicely whereas my very similarly sized MFT cameras don't as they tend to fall forward and feel uncomfortable in the same pocket.

PS.
See, that’s what I’d love with an X100. Easily fits into your pocket with ease whereas my gear now I have no chance. Also like the idea of getting more creative as you’re limited on zoom and have to make the picture work as how you see it. I think I’ll be on the hunt for an X100 soon as I really need to scratch the itch. Also going away with friends for a holiday so that would be perfect!

I am totally comfortable with that focal length, I’m so glad it’s the 35mm eqv that they went for and not 24 or 28. It’s why I don’t care for the Rioch or even the Leica .

You also need to see one in person to appreciate how small it is, it’s dinky, m4/3 size but APSC. I really like my mk1, I can’t wait for a new one with modern AF and EVF.

Shooting personal stuff I don’t need 1.4 DoF, especially for street photography. The leaf shutter is also more discrete, it’s practically silent outside.

f2.

View attachment 411978

f2.8.

View attachment 411979

PS.

View attachment 411984
For me there’s not much ‘pop’ or background blur and these are pretty close.

Obviously it’s not what this camera is about, but as I’m not a dedicated street tog it’s not a camera that’s ever really been of interest. Of course it’s not just a street tog camera, but it’s ideally suited for that.
I am totally comfortable with that focal length, I’m so glad it’s the 35mm eqv that they went for and not 24 or 28. It’s why I don’t care for the Rioch or even the Leica .

You also need to see one in person to appreciate how small it is, it’s dinky, m4/3 size but APSC. I really like my mk1, I can’t wait for a new one with modern AF and EVF.

Shooting personal stuff I don’t need 1.4 DoF, especially for street photography. The leaf shutter is also more discrete, it’s practically silent outside.
The mk1 would have always been the one I’d have gone for due to the Bayer sensor but the EVF and lens sharpness have always been a concern.

See, that’s what I’d love with an X100. Easily fits into your pocket with ease whereas my gear now I have no chance. Also like the idea of getting more creative as you’re limited on zoom and have to make the picture work as how you see it. I think I’ll be on the hunt for an X100 soon as I really need to scratch the itch. Also going away with friends for a holiday so that would be perfect!
I’ve started going out more with just the 35mm for this reason, I’m not sure whether I like the restriction or not :LOL:

For me there’s not much ‘pop’ or background blur and these are pretty close.

Obviously it’s not what this camera is about, but as I’m not a dedicated street tog it’s not a camera that’s ever really been of interest. Of course it’s not just a street tog camera, but it’s ideally suited for that.

The mk1 would have always been the one I’d have gone for due to the Bayer sensor but the EVF and lens sharpness have always been a concern.

Lens sharpness isn’t a problem on the mk1 because it’s only 12mp, biggest gripe for me personally is you need 2 hands to change focus point.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the 20-70mm will be going back, tested again today and the decentering is unnacceptable, strangely it's worse slightly in from the corner than the extreme corner. I don't know how well this will show on here but this is an example. The corner that is about 95% as god as others is then unnaceptable slightly in from the edge, this is on every shot as does not fully rectify when stopped down to f8.

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 13.33.04 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
Certainly not great. On flickr it looks much more severe still. I would also reject this outright.

I am actually not surprised a midframe section may be worse. In a lens like this there is a lot of pixel stretching to correct the optics, and this likely affects these areas most heavily. There could be another optical explanation too.

I heard a mention of quite severe field curvature plaguing this lens. This wouldn't help at all.

If it is actually hitting a mark at f/8 then it is OK for a lens like this. I just don't expect it to be great at f/4 at all. Yet somehow I suspect it is still not that great even at f/8.

Anyway thanks for testing this out, I will be sure to avoid this model.

Last edited:
I’ve started going out more with just the 35mm for this reason, I’m not sure whether I like the restriction or not :LOL:

I started with a Kodak Instamatic which I think was 42mm and then had 35mm compacts and even a Bessa with a Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 Color Skopar and I've recently bought another of those lenses :D in DSLR and then mirrorless 50mm was my most used focal length but these days it's 35mm but I could live with 28mm.

To be honest there's no way I'd want a camera of this size in any pocket other than a pocket in the biggest winter coats I have :D If I'm wearing anything else the camera goes in a man bag but I have wandered around with just my Panasonic GM5 and 20mm f1.7 in my hand but sadly they don't make those anymore. I suppose my GX80 isn't a great deal bigger but they don't make those any more either.

The X100s and f I had had their good points including the manual dials, very quick start up and a nice evf, I didn't bother with the ovf due to the framing and point of focus issues. They also have their downsides and I'd urge anyone looking at these cameras to research the plus and minus points.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the 20-70mm will be going back, tested again today and the decentering is unnacceptable, strangely it's worse slightly in from the corner than the extreme corner. I don't know how well this will show on here but this is an example. The corner that is about 95% as god as others is then unnaceptable slightly in from the edge, this is on every shot as does not fully rectify when stopped down to f8.

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 13.33.04 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

doesn't look great. Send it back and ask for a replacement.

doesn't look great. Send it back and ask for a replacement.
I am doing, sent them an email yesterday but haven’t heard back yet, I’m guessing they’re not open weekends (Cotswolds).

On their FAQ it says the customer is responsible for the cost of return but it’s my understanding the seller is responsible if the item is faulty. Hopefully they won’t challenge it.

Will you replace it or has this put you off the lens?
I’ll replace it, I’ve only seen one review that’s mentioned decentering so figure I’ve just been unlucky. If it was common I’m sure we’d have heard more about it.

I am doing, sent them an email yesterday but haven’t heard back yet, I’m guessing they’re not open weekends (Cotswolds).

On their FAQ it says the customer is responsible for the cost of return but it’s my understanding the seller is responsible if the item is faulty. Hopefully they won’t challenge it.
Not much idea about Cotswold. Don't know anyone who's dealt with them.
My only interaction was when I was trying to source an A7C few years ago, I emailed both Panamoz and Cotswold camera.
CC replied back after 2-3 days and didn't budge on the price. I had long ordered from Panamoz by then since they gave me a £80 and replied within hours.

I will be interested to hear about your experience with them.

I think by your standards you should avoid most lenses :p
by definition this could be anything > 50.0% so probably correct. Over half of lenses on the market are outright turd, or very poor value for the money..., shame about that. The fast electronics companies sell rubbish, so you upgrade and upgrade in a never ending cycle leading to immense global pollution.

I believe so and would expect a postage label first thing on Monday.

This is how things were when I got sent a defective Sigma 40mm ART (looked a bit like your 20-70 :LOL: )

I’ll replace it, I’ve only seen one review that’s mentioned decentering so figure I’ve just been unlucky. If it was common I’m sure we’d have heard more about it.
I wouldn't but as long as you have free returns and spare time I guess why not teach Sony a lesson.

You must do some walking with that dog.
We don't go that far by a lot of dog's standards tbh, 2 x 40 mins on the park by our house during the week then anywhere from 1-2.5hours in the Peaks ona. Sunday (y)
I wouldn't but as long as you have free returns and spare time I guess why not teach Sony a lesson.
It's a lens that really suits my requirements so I'm happy to give it another go, if the replacement is also poor then I will have to question what I'm going to do. I've had a really good offer on my 24-70mm but if the 20-70mm doesn't work out I don't know whether to keep it or not.

I think you'll find you've agreed to it.

"This User Agreement and any transactions on this Site shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong"

I think you'll find you've agreed to it.

"This User Agreement and any transactions on this Site shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong"
Wow, I hope not. Panamoz don't charge for it, if Cotswolds do they can have it back and I'll take a refund.

Wow, I hope not. Panamoz don't charge for it, if Cotswolds do they can have it back and I'll take a refund.
No guarantee that what they have in their terms is even correct as well.
Hopefully it all goes smoothly for you. Did you pay with PayPal? Start a dispute.

No guarantee that what they have in their terms is even correct as well.
Hopefully it all goes smoothly for you. Did you pay with PayPal? Start a dispute.
Yeah PayPal. Hopefully it’ll be no fuss (y)

Yeah PayPal. Hopefully it’ll be no fuss (y)
Idea of starting the dispute quickly is it keeps all communication there in case things do go wrong.
Starting a dispute doesn't mean claiming money back just gets the ball rolling. If they reply and say they'll collect it and send you a new one, then case closed off not PayPal will review.

The Pergear 14mm gets a road test...

Oh. On the subject of Pergear...

I wrote to them about the exposure discrepancies I noticed with the 35mm f1.4 when tested against other 35mm lenses at the same aperture and also the accuracy of their aperture markings and they wrote back and I sent them more info and sample pictures. I'm just waiting to hear back again.

Last edited:
The Pergear 14mm gets a road test...

Oh. On the subject of Pergear...

I wrote to them about the exposure discrepancies I noticed with the 35mm f1.4 when tested against other 35mm lenses at the same aperture and also the accuracy of their aperture markings and they wrote back and I sent them more info and sample pictures. I'm just waiting to hear back again.

I wouldn't hold out much hope. But it'll be interesting to see what they respond with.

I wouldn't hold out much hope. But it'll be interesting to see what they respond with.

In my innocence I assume that someone at the company will know if for whatever reason the aperture marking are not accurate and how this and the quality of their coatings might relate to light transmission and exposure. I did look up how to measure the aperture but I didn't bother as just a small misreading on my part could make such a difference that trying to measure it would be a waste of time.

Idea of starting the dispute quickly is it keeps all communication there in case things do go wrong.
Starting a dispute doesn't mean claiming money back just gets the ball rolling. If they reply and say they'll collect it and send you a new one, then case closed off not PayPal will review.
Still no contact from Cotswolds so have emailed them again.

Still no contact from Cotswolds so have emailed them again.
If you have another email address email enquiring about something else. See if they're active. You'll get an idea if they're ignoring you then.

Back