The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Edit: Duplicate post

Hi,I have inherited a Sony A7C with 28-60 kit lens,not used it yet but thinking it would be good for dog walks and travel/bike rides as it's quite compact.
With that in mind what would be suitable lens ,something not to big and heavy.
Any advice appreciated

Hi,I have inherited a Sony A7C with 28-60 kit lens,not used it yet but thinking it would be good for dog walks and travel/bike rides as it's quite compact.
Any advice appreciated
Depends what focal range you like.

Any advice appreciated
Are you looking for a zoom or prime?
The kit lens is quite good for travel and dog walk. Are you looking for more reach? More light?

Are you looking for a zoom or prime?
The kit lens is quite good for travel and dog walk. Are you looking for more reach? More light?
Also got Sigma 16 mm f1.4 DC DN.
Should try kit lens really shouldn't I ,I'm foolishly thinking it may not be up to much with it being a kit lens.
I've got a Fjords trip booked this year so was thinking of something for that so wouldn't have to be swapping and changing .

Should try kit lens really shouldn't I ,I'm foolishly thinking it may not be up to much with it being a kit lens.
I've got a Fjords trip booked this year so was thinking of something for that so wouldn't have to be swapping and changing .
I'm strongly considering the new 20-70f4.

Just got a call to say my A9 iii is in stock ready to ship. I made the decision to cancel the order as I had hoped to sell a few things and have another month or two to make some money. Much earlier arriving than expected so I will have to wait in line. I suspect it won't be a great seller unless the video community take to it so I think I will wait to see how the market develops and news on an A1 replacement

The 28-70mm is very good for what it is, and depending how picky you are could be plenty good enough especially stopped down. However, there are a number of better options.

If you want compact the 16-35mm PZ F4 is a great lens, if you're happy with power zoom. As mentioned already, the 20-70mm f4 gives a very good focal range, wide enough for majority of shots but with some decent reach. It's not that big and heavy, but also it's not "compact".

The sigma is an APS-C lens so not ideal on A7c

Depending if you want wider or longer try tamron 28-200mm or Sony 20-70.

I've possibly put wrong ref for 16mm lens,it's e mount.
I shall read up on the Sony 20-70,sounds ideal.
Thanks for advice

As said above this is not a rumour as Wex were going to ship mine today. I decided to cancel the order though
Wex still show as 'Pre-Order' on their web site - so while they may have some 'stock', existing pre-orders account for all of it.

I've possibly put wrong ref for 16mm lens,it's e mount.
I shall read up on the Sony 20-70,sounds ideal.
Thanks for advice
Gets rave reviews. Unfortunately I’ve just had to return one due to decentering, awaiting the replacement.

I took the plunge and bought the Sony A7CR from Panamoz. Followed the tracking. Various places in HK then Belgium, then last night Stanstead. Delivery all week said today, Friday 8.00am to 1.00pm. Looked at tracking this morning and it has altered to Monday, half a week away. Good old Fed Ex. NOT. HK to UK in less than three days, It is sitting not many miles from me, now it is going to take longer to deliver to me than the flights across the world, but the good old British management/workers inefficiency strike again.

I’ve now sold all my Canon lenses and body so yesterday I went to Wex to look at the A6700 and A7C II. I wanted to try the viewfinders out as I wear glasses. Despite the salesman telling me as a glasses wearer the Fuji X-T5 viewfinder would suit me better. I didn’t have an issue with the Sony’s.

i tried both Sony cameras with a variety of standard zooms from Sony GM to Sigma and Tamron. The zoom and camera that appeared to be the faster focusing was the tiny Sigma that I think was the 18-50 f2.8. I guess the speed was due to less glass to move? The Sigma. felt better built with a nicer feeling zoom mechanism than the Tamron. The GM was lovely, pricy and big as expected with GM lenses.

I’m going to give myself a couple more weeks as I’ve still not decided which body or lens combo yet. I will be going for a standard zoom and a fast prime for lower light. I did enjoy the smaller body compared to the R5 and the build quality felt very good.

I’ve now sold all my Canon lenses and body so yesterday I went to Wex to look at the A6700 and A7C II. I wanted to try the viewfinders out as I wear glasses. Despite the salesman telling me as a glasses wearer the Fuji X-T5 viewfinder would suit me better. I didn’t have an issue with the Sony’s.

i tried both Sony cameras with a variety of standard zooms from Sony GM to Sigma and Tamron. The zoom and camera that appeared to be the faster focusing was the tiny Sigma that I think was the 18-50 f2.8. I guess the speed was due to less glass to move? The Sigma. felt better built with a nicer feeling zoom mechanism than the Tamron. The GM was lovely, pricy and big as expected with GM lenses.

I’m going to give myself a couple more weeks as I’ve still not decided which body or lens combo yet. I will be going for a standard zoom and a fast prime for lower light. I did enjoy the smaller body compared to the R5 and the build quality felt very good.
Which GM? Don’t forget the 18-50mm is an APS-C lens so will give a field of few of a 27-75mm lens and will only give 14.7mp on the A7c II.

Do you know about these aids for glasses. Eyecups

Ah yes, of course. The two I tested one was a E 16-55 f2.8 G lens and the other the FE24-70 f2.8

No i did not thank you
So E is APS-C, FE is Full Frame. I'm sure you're aware but just in case, the A6700 is APS-C, the A7cII is full frame.

The FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM is indeed a heavy lens (for this type of lens), if you don't need the f2.8 then the 20-70mm f4 is arguably a better option as it's a more usable focal range and it's smaller and lighter, however if you go for the A6700 I wouldn't recommend this lens as it would make it a 30-105mm eq.

There is the FE 24-70mm 2.8 GM II which is smaller, lighter and better optically than the GM but it's still not a light lens, and it's very expensive.

Here's an example of the different sizes, 24-70mm f2.8 GM left, 24-70mm f2.8 GM II middle, and 20-70mm f4 on the right
Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 09.42.01.jpg

Last edited:
Where on camerasize.com do you select camera/lens comparison as I can't find it via android

Any advice appreciated
I use the Tamron 28-200 most of the time on my a7c.
I find it not too big or heavy and ideal for everyday use.
The 28-60 kit lens is actually quite good for a kit lens, best kit lens that I've ever used ;)

Well my Sony A7CR came this afternoon out of the blue. The outer box was well wrapped. The Sony A7CR box seal was broken, not sure if that is normal from Panamoz. It all seems to be there. I got a shutter count of 1114112. On Camera shutter count. I notice by googling that others have high shutter count ?? Any thoughts?

Well my Sony A7CR came this afternoon out of the blue. The outer box was well wrapped. The Sony A7CR box seal was broken, not sure if that is normal from Panamoz. It all seems to be there. I got a shutter count of 1114112. On Camera shutter count. I notice by googling that others have high shutter count ?? Any thoughts?
I may be wrong but I thought they opened the box to add a UK plug?

I may be wrong but I thought they opened the box to add a UK plug?
^^^ this, perfectly normal for boxes to have been opened from Panamoz.

As for the shutter count I'm not sure what that is, seems odd as that's a crazy amount of actuations. Maybe try a different site such as this

Or download the A7Tool app and see if that works

Lastly, you could try this. I've never tried this so don't know if it works
Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 17.17.30.jpg

^^^ this, perfectly normal for boxes to have been opened from Panamoz.

As for the shutter count I'm not sure what that is, seems odd as that's a crazy amount of actuations. Maybe try a different site such as this

Or download the A7Tool app and see if that works

Lastly, you could try this. I've never tried this so don't know if it works
View attachment 412454
Just tried A7info and it does show the shutter count. As I only use the electronic shutter It's amazing to see how many shutter actuations there's been just from turning the camera on/off as I have the anti dust function on.
Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 17.23.01.jpg

Last edited:
Ever since I've used filters for sunsets I get these kinds of flare when the sun is in, or close to the edge of the frame. Years ago I thought it was due to cheap filters so I invested in some Firecrest ones and as you can see here in the unedited raw I still get them, this is from a £120 reversed grad. Filters and lens were meticulously cleaned to ensure it's not due to anything on the lens or filter.

Is there just no way to avoid this, or are there filters out there that don't do this? My filters are resin and I've considered investing in a glass reversed grad filter but these are even more expensive and so I'd want to know you don't get these artefacts before purchase
Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 17.24.31.jpg

Just tried A7info and it does show the shutter count. As I only use the electronic shutter It's amazing to see how many shutter actuations there's been just from turning the camera on/off as I have the anti dust function on.
View attachment 412455
I just downloaded the app, but windows virus was not happy. Did you have the same trouble?

I just downloaded the app, but windows virus was not happy. Did you have the same trouble?
I use Mac and there was no issue. I can’t remember where I downloaded my version from but I believe this is the original site (Disclaimer: make sure you do your own security checks ;))

Last edited:
Ever since I've used filters for sunsets I get these kinds of flare when the sun is in, or close to the edge of the frame. Years ago I thought it was due to cheap filters so I invested in some Firecrest ones and as you can see here in the unedited raw I still get them, this is from a £120 reversed grad. Filters and lens were meticulously cleaned to ensure it's not due to anything on the lens or filter.

Is there just no way to avoid this, or are there filters out there that don't do this? My filters are resin and I've considered investing in a glass reversed grad filter but these are even more expensive and so I'd want to know you don't get these artefacts before purchase
View attachment 412456
Reason #1996 why I don't use square filters :ROFLMAO:
This is just anecdotal but I have had better luck with circular filters which are closer to the lens plus you can use the hood.

I don't use grad filters though. Mostly only use CPL and ND filters. Sony sensors have plenty dynamic range for not need grads all the time and when it's needed it's better to just bracket IMO.

This is why I match my zooms to have same filter thread
20-70+70-200
16-35+35-150
17-28 or 20/1.8 or 24GM + 28-200mm
16mm f1.8 + 24-105mm
So on and so forth :ROFLMAO:

Reason #1996 why I don't use square filters :ROFLMAO:
This is just anecdotal but I have had better luck with circular filters which are closer to the lens plus you can use the hood.

I don't use grad filters though. Mostly only use CPL and ND filters. Sony sensors have plenty dynamic range for not need grads all the time and when it's needed it's better to just bracket IMO.

This is why I match my zooms to have same filter thread
20-70+70-200
16-35+35-150
17-28 or 20/1.8 or 24GM + 28-200mm
16mm f1.8 + 24-105mm
So on and so forth :ROFLMAO:
I don’t use CPL’s very much at all, but obviously grads need to be the square type, especially hard edge ones, to get them in the right place.

I do bracket sometimes but often find I get better results with a single shot underexposed a couple of stops. I don’t like the classic HDR look.

Back