The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

From what I’ve seen the Z6III will be an evolution of the body rather than a complete rework, I guess a bit like the Sony bodies over the years.

For me the best handling body I’ve used is the Z7, I was also a huge fan of the EM1-II. I know a lot of people like bodies such as the D850 but I always preferred the handling of the D750. I don’t like bodies such as the D6 and Z9.

It’s surprising really as I have big hands but I don’t like the big bloated bodies.

Whilst cameras like the X-T5 and Nikon Zfc are lovely to look at they really don’t feel good in the hand imo.
I’m the other way in that I like the big bodies like the Z9. I have the grip on my A1 so I feel comfortable with it.

I’m the other way in that I like the big bodies like the Z9. I have the grip on my A1 so I feel comfortable with it.
I like bigger bodies, but I really don't get on with addon grips. The end package just doesn't feel right. Also for tripod work I prefer non-gripped big bodies because in portrait tilt the grip just adds to the mass off-balance and instability.

From what I’ve seen the Z6III will be an evolution of the body rather than a complete rework, I guess a bit like the Sony bodies over the years.

For me the best handling body I’ve used is the Z7, I was also a huge fan of the EM1-II. I know a lot of people like bodies such as the D850 but I always preferred the handling of the D750. I don’t like bodies such as the D6 and Z9.

It’s surprising really as I have big hands but I don’t like the big bloated bodies.

Whilst cameras like the X-T5 and Nikon Zfc are lovely to look at they really don’t feel good in the hand imo.
Exactly the same as me, big hands but hate massive cameras. I just end up leaving them at home.

I’m pondering over what new camera body to get but if I went the A7iv route what are some more budget friendly lenses that work well for video.

So the videos will be of interviews and horse events so not sure if primes or a compact zoom will be best.

Ideally trying to keep weight fairly low. Budget will be what ever I can sell my 70-200 for so around 1100 I guess.

Was thinking of the 35/85 1.8 combo and then saving for a longer zoom like a 70-300 or something similar.

What are people using for video that can also be good for stills?

I’m pondering over what new camera body to get but if I went the A7iv route what are some more budget friendly lenses that work well for video.

So the videos will be of interviews and horse events so not sure if primes or a compact zoom will be best.

Ideally trying to keep weight fairly low. Budget will be what ever I can sell my 70-200 for so around 1100 I guess.

Was thinking of the 35/85 1.8 combo and then saving for a longer zoom like a 70-300 or something similar.

I don't much shoot video with my Sony but whenever I do most lenses have been just fine.
Previous gen samyang lenses were really unusable but recent ones also work rather well (recently was using 24mm f1.8 in our house during Christmas)

for a 35/85 style combo depending on your budget
Sony 35mm f1.8 is really great for videos and so is Sony 85mm f1.8
but you can also pick up Samyang 35mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8

Samyang now also do cine series of AF lenses (i.e. they have matching sizes etc)

They are built incredibly well. Handled a couple in past but since I mostly shoot stills I decided to buy their regular lenses.

Then there are of course sigma lenses to consider....
Sigma 35mm f2 DN is a beauty to use
Sigma 65mm f2 DN or 90mm f2.8 DN or Sigma 85mm f1.4 DN
Sigma smaller DN primes are a work of art :D

Shameless plug.... I also have an A7IV in sales ;)

Last edited:
I like bigger bodies, but I really don't get on with addon grips. The end package just doesn't feel right. Also for tripod work I prefer non-gripped big bodies because in portrait tilt the grip just adds to the mass off-balance and instability.
Surely you just don't have the grip attached when using a tripod?

I would just like to give a thumbs up to Panamoz. I ordered my Sony A7CR last Sunday 14th Jan. They answered all my queries quickly. I was sent a trackin number by return, and I tracked the parcel with interest. There was three places in Honk Kong, then Belgium Airport, then Paris airport, then Stanstead airport and on to a depot nearby. The delivery date was given as Friday morning, and up until Thursday night at 23.30 it remained the same. Then Friday morning Fed-Ex altered the delivery to Monday. Had I known that from the start I would not have minded. I tried to contact Fed-Ex but it is impossible to contact them, in spite of their claims. Anyhow long story short, I complained to Panamoz who contacted Fed-Ex. But it seems Fed-Ex had no idea where my parcel was. So I resigned myself to the Monday delivery. Then a Fed-Ex van stopped outside on Friday afternoon. The driver knew nothing about the confusion, he said the parcel was just one of many put on the van in the morning. During all this Pamoz kept me fully informed. They refunded me £30.00 because of the confusion. I never asked for it. I told them it arrived on Friday afternoon. Today a nice email from them reiterating their guarantee which is three years, & sorrow for the problems. If the camera goes wrong it will be repaired by Sony at Panamoz expense. They also said they would consider a different carrier. FedEx did a good job until the end when the British side let it down by changing delivery slot at last minute with no communication.

My new 20-70mm's on it's way. Coming from Royal Mail this time which means it must be sent from the UK, hope they've not just sent the same one back to me :runaway:

I don't much shoot video with my Sony but whenever I do most lenses have been just fine.
Previous gen samyang lenses were really unusable but recent ones also work rather well (recently was using 24mm f1.8 in our house during Christmas)

for a 35/85 style combo depending on your budget
Sony 35mm f1.8 is really great for videos and so is Sony 85mm f1.8
but you can also pick up Samyang 35mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8

Samyang now also do cine series of AF lenses (i.e. they have matching sizes etc)

They are built incredibly well. Handled a couple in past but since I mostly shoot stills I decided to buy their regular lenses.

Then there are of course sigma lenses to consider....
Sigma 35mm f2 DN is a beauty to use
Sigma 65mm f2 DN or 90mm f2.8 DN or Sigma 85mm f1.4 DN
Sigma smaller DN primes are a work of art :D

Shameless plug.... I also have an A7IV in sales ;)

Will have a look at the lenses. Was looking at the A7iv or S5II. I could just stick with the A9 but I’m not sure how good or user friendly the video is. I guess I could try it first before spending money :ROFLMAO:

Will have a look at the lenses. Was looking at the A7iv or S5II. I could just stick with the A9 but I’m not sure how good or user friendly the video is. I guess I could try it first before spending money :ROFLMAO:

personally I'd suggest using the A9 till you find its limitation for your use.
not a fan of L-mount tbh. I buy and sell loads and the used market isn't great with L-mount (not many people buying or selling).
Also the AF isn't as good as Sony's.

but for video Panasonics line of f1.8 lenses are designed with video makers in mind. Optically they don't seem as sharp as other brands in some cases but they are optimised for video usage i.e. similar sizes, smooth motors etc.

personally I'd suggest using the A9 till you find its limitation for your use.
not a fan of L-mount tbh. I buy and sell loads and the used market isn't great with L-mount (not many people buying or selling).
Also the AF isn't as good as Sony's.

but for video Panasonics line of f1.8 lenses are designed with video makers in mind. Optically they don't seem as sharp as other brands in some cases but they are optimised for video usage i.e. similar sizes, smooth motors etc.

Just watching some vids of setting up A9 for video. I actually think it might do all I need. It’s basically for filming some interviews (mainly outside) and filming some clinics where the horse and rider will be going round the school and giving talks. It doesn’t need to be pro ready. It’s mainly for instagram, YouTube and Facebook.

I have seen them before but I need a wireless mic which does not cost a fortune!

Surely you just don't have the grip attached when using a tripod?
If it is something like a z9 then clearly you don't have much choice.

Otherwise yes it would in make sense to just take it off and keep it in the box pretty much indefinitely, since I use tripod > 50. %. That's what happened when I properly owned the last one back many many moons ago. I only looked at them again to move tripod hole back in the centre. I found smallrig bracket did a better job in the end. I use rc4 plate on top

This suggests there’s plenty of stock.
Maybe, or maybe it's just the launch price of it over there. Big difference from UK prices though, especially for such a new release.

I’m hoping this is a good omen for the 300mm f2.8. My target price is £4k. Lenses are a bit hit and miss in relation to import prices and savings on UK prices.
Cotswold cameras have it for £5k for preorders.
I guess it'll come down over time

It may be they haven’t got as many preorders as they thought they would.

If I was shooting video, I'd just get a 24-70 2.8, that way you're covered for most spaces. And if you then decide to go gimbal route you won't have to keep rebalancing with different prime lenses.

If I was shooting video, I'd just get a 24-70 2.8, that way you're covered for most spaces. And if you then decide to go gimbal route you won't have to keep rebalancing with different prime lenses.
Actually when you zoom you should rebalance. This will apply to all external zoom lenses. Of course you can just risk it with DJI rs3 pro for a short period of time. I'd rather shoot primes. You can do most of the shoot with 35 or 50 anyway and you still have super 35 crop option

You can do most of the shoot with 35 or 50 anyway and you still have super 35 crop option
+1

@JJ!
for this reason I'd suggest a 24mm prime and may be 50mm-ish prime. instead of 35/85 combo.
you can shoot super 35 in 4K if you need to get a bit closer but you can't get wider if and when needed.
just my thought

+1

@JJ!
for this reason I'd suggest a 24mm prime and may be 50mm-ish prime. instead of 35/85 combo.
you can shoot super 35 in 4K if you need to get a bit closer but you can't get wider if and when needed.
just my thought

I don’t even know what this super 35 is! I need to get my head around the video and settings. Sure there are plenty of noob guides out there for the A9.

I might have around £900-1000 max to get a combo of 2 primes.

I don’t even know what this super 35 is! I need to get my head around the video and settings. Sure there are plenty of noob guides out there for the A9.

basically a fancy name that video folks use for shooting the camera in APS-C equivalent crop mode for video.
This can have benefits of its own (not sure about A9 in specific) like less rolling shutter, better sharpness (as camera may be using the full APS-C centre area and in FF mode it could be pixel binning).

you can easily get two really good primes in that budget. you can get FE35/1.8+FE85/1.8 for like £700.
if you want wider lenses then think of Sigma 24mm f2 or samyang 24mm f1.8 + Sony FE 55mm f1.8 for example. will be slightly more than £700 but can get both under a grand.

Last edited:
The sun was out briefly, so I went out to test the Sony A7CR and Sony 70-350. But only 10 minutes away and the sun went in, so another day. However here are some tests, all taken from the car, lol. First is my 'Sony FE 35mm F1.8' to give indication of position. Then The 70-350 at 70mm, then the 70-350 at 350mm. then a crop with Topaz on the weather cock.
DSC09333-1-3 by Andy Williams, on Flickr

DSC09331-1 by Andy Williams, on Flickr

DSC09329-1 by Andy Williams, on Flickr

DSC09329-1-2-topaz by Andy Williams, on Flickr

DSC09313-1 by Andy Williams, on Flickr

If you’re shooting outside you may want to budget for variable ND filters to reduce your shutter speed. Another reason why I’d suggest a multi purpose zoom over primes for starting video. You won’t be shooting much video at f1.8 if you want to keep to the 180 degree shutter rule.

My new 20-70mm's on it's way. Coming from Royal Mail this time which means it must be sent from the UK, hope they've not just sent the same one back to me :runaway:

could be one that someone else returned ;)
Just received the tracking info, was sent last Thursday and arrived in Southampton yesterday so looks like it has come in from HK afterall. Strange it's with RM this time and not FedEx like before.

If you’re shooting outside you may want to budget for variable ND filters to reduce your shutter speed. Another reason why I’d suggest a multi purpose zoom over primes for starting video. You won’t be shooting much video at f1.8 if you want to keep to the 180 degree shutter rule.

As not really shot any video apart from in some auto mode I am not sure what f stop and shutter speed I need.

Think I read you want the shutter speed twice the frame rate? So 1/50 if doing 25fps?

Guessing 1.8 would be reserved for like indoor video, no idea what the ideal number is for outdoor interview type videos!

If I got a zoom was something like the dinky 35mm 2.8 be good for video too?

As not really shot any video apart from in some auto mode I am not sure what f stop and shutter speed I need.

Think I read you want the shutter speed twice the frame rate? So 1/50 if doing 25fps?

Guessing 1.8 would be reserved for like indoor video, no idea what the ideal number is for outdoor interview type videos!

If I got a zoom was something like the dinky 35mm 2.8 be good for video too?

That’s correct, so if you’re doing 50fps you want 1/100th so your ISO will be lowest it can be then use your aperture and filter to stop the light coming in so you get correct exposure. Especially outside in the summer months. Some don’t bother with the shutter rule but you can see the difference.

Yeah indoor video could be at 1.8, but because may use manual focus and set it before recording you may want more wiggle room if the subject moves.

what lenses do you currently have? Maybe try video on those and see how you get on?

That’s correct, so if you’re doing 50fps you want 1/100th so your ISO will be lowest it can be then use your aperture and filter to stop the light coming in so you get correct exposure. Especially outside in the summer months. Some don’t bother with the shutter rule but you can see the difference.

Yeah indoor video could be at 1.8, but because may use manual focus and set it before recording you may want more wiggle room if the subject moves.

what lenses do you currently have? Maybe try video on those and see how you get on?

Just the 70-200 2.8 and just been doing photos. I want a smaller and lighter set up really. Might get a 24-70 and 35mm to start things off.

Just received the tracking info, was sent last Thursday and arrived in Southampton yesterday so looks like it has come in from HK afterall. Strange it's with RM this time and not FedEx like before.
I have never bought from them, I have only ever bought from panamoz (A1 and A7c). I got the parcel from different courier companies.
I contacted panamoz about it and they just said they use 3 different courier company depending on availability and costs.

Just seen Amazon limited time deals on the 85 1.8 for 379 and 35 1.8 for 399. Seems very good?

Just seen Amazon limited time deals on the 85 1.8 for 379 and 35 1.8 for 399. Seems very good?
Not sure on the 35mm but the 85mm was £339 in December however I don't know if this was 3rd party.

I have never bought from them, I have only ever bought from panamoz (A1 and A7c). I got the parcel from different courier companies.
I contacted panamoz about it and they just said they use 3 different courier company depending on availability and costs.
It's arrived, can't test it properly due to the weather but initial shots through the window look good in terms of decentering, all corners appear very equal, however I will reserve judgement until I can test it properly.

Not sure on the 35mm but the 85mm was £339 in December however I don't know if this was 3rd party.

Both these are direct from Amazon. Can’t see the 35mm new anywhere near that price so ordered one.

Back