The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Both these are direct from Amazon. Can’t see the 35mm new anywhere near that price so ordered one.
Seems a good price. For clarity I was referring to the £339 price in December as I know both the current prices are direct from Amazon.

Just be aware that Amazon are not classed as an authorised dealer therefore I'm not sure where you'd stand with warranty.

I need to get some better cards to record 4K as mine are only cheap ish ones and camera/card will not record in 4K. Any decent value ones out there?

Going to practice some filming in the mean time in HD. What FPS would people recommend? 25p 50m be a start point?

Last edited:
I need to get some better cards to record 4K as mine are only cheap ish ones and camera/card will not record in 4K. Any decent value ones out there?

Going to practice some filming in the mean time in HD. What FPS would people recommend? 25p 50m be a start point?
I have a pair of 128 Gb Kingston Canvas React Plus V90 in my A7iv - that seemed to be the best option for price / performance at the time, and had no issues with them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09XC3D96V

Damn I didn’t realise how expensive they are!
And that’s cheap compared to Sony and Sandisk :eek: I have a couple of these, they were on offer for £73.99 some time ago. I also have some of the Manfrotto Pros which are equally as fast as they were on offer at half price.

I keep toying with buying the 260GB Pergear CFexpress Type A but am biding my time in case there’s an offer.

To be honest, 4K might be overkill for what I am going to be filming.

The link shows the December price as Amazon supplied.

@JJ! Sandisk 200mbs used to work fine for me, although I now use UHSII cards with the A9

Will have a search around. Ideally looking under £100 for a pair but not sure how likely that is!!

I'd be interested on you views on screen protectors? I've always had one on my more recent cameras.

My first outing with my Voigtlander 50mm f1.2 on my A7. The weather was interesting, often windy, rain one minute and sun the next and then a brief snow shower. Quite a few shots aren't really even keepers as a lot of the time the light was poor.

This was our view as we sat on a bench for a tea/coffee and a lovely sandwich. Having recently watched The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings we both thought this would be a lovely spot for a Hobbits home.

DSC04489.JPG

Just an interesting tree for me to snap as Mrs WW sat and took a stone out of her boot.

DSC04522.JPG

And here she is, at f1.2.

DSC04495.JPG

It's a nice lens but in reality a bit on the heavy side for me and it's sharper than similar 35mm f1.2.

Last edited:
I know it’s going to vary by settings etc but how many mins video do you think you can get on 1 of those?
I don't know - video is something I only do occasionally, and then only for shortish clips.

Will have a search around. Ideally looking under £100 for a pair but not sure how likely that is!!

Easy - I used this for video on a wedding

SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC card + RescuePRO Deluxe, up to 200MB/s, UHS-I, Class 10, U3, V30 https://amzn.eu/d/cf0jLGd

Or I use these

SABRENT SD card 128GB R/W 270/170MB/s, V60 SDXC card UHS-II, memory card SDHC, Class 10, U3, Full HD & 8K UHD card, for professional photographers, videographers, vloggers (SD-TL60-128GB) https://amzn.eu/d/4mCoMMb

I’d also stock up on batteries as 4k will eat them alive. Although I’d probably just shoot 1080.

The link shows the December price as Amazon supplied.

@JJ! Sandisk 200mbs used to work fine for me, although I now use UHSII cards with the A9
Ahh I missed that, on CPB it just says Amazon but not specifically whether it’s Amazon UK or 3rd party (y)

I'd be interested on you views on screen protectors? I've always had one on my more recent cameras.
I always put them, much cheaper than having the screen repaired.

Easy - I used this for video on a wedding

SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC card + RescuePRO Deluxe, up to 200MB/s, UHS-I, Class 10, U3, V30 https://amzn.eu/d/cf0jLGd

Or I use these

SABRENT SD card 128GB R/W 270/170MB/s, V60 SDXC card UHS-II, memory card SDHC, Class 10, U3, Full HD & 8K UHD card, for professional photographers, videographers, vloggers (SD-TL60-128GB) https://amzn.eu/d/4mCoMMb

I’d also stock up on batteries as 4k will eat them alive. Although I’d probably just shoot 1080.

Will be doing 1080. 4K will be overkill for what I am shooting. Thanks for the links.

Those Sabrent ones look good value.

Last edited:
The only camera I have never used them on was a Nikon D7000. Smashed the screen in that one.

Have used screen protectors ever since never had any other problems with Nikon. The screens on Sony bodies seem a bit easier to damage have cracked a fair few glass screen protectors since switching over. Screen underneath has always been good though.

For a couple of quid they are a must have.

They are, I've tested them extensively (over 200k photos) over the last year but no problems to report.
Seems to be terrific value for money especially for times I don't require full speed like shooting landscapes.

Seems to be terrific value for money especially for times I don't require full speed like shooting landscapes.

Even when I'm shooting bursts at weddings they're plenty quick enough for me. Especially when one of my last weddings I accidentally moved the A9ii to shoot high speed, so took 4000 photos by 4pm (on one camera) and didn't even notice the buffering etc.

From Amazon, I can still see you can apply 10% off voucher. It's available till 31st Jan
Ahh right, can only use it on one item so would have to pay full price for one.

Ahh right, can only use it on one item so would have to pay full price for one.
Just order it with a second Amazon account or using a family members account. Not hard to work around it ;)

Or do as I did, order one on its own. Order another that comes bundled with CF express card reader. I needed the card reader anyway.

Last edited:
Just order it with a second Amazon account or using a family members account. Not hard to work around it ;)

Or do as I did, order one on its own. Order another that comes bundled with CF express card reader. I needed the card reader anyway.
Yeah already thought of doing that, just not sure I could pass if off as a business purchase as that's the only other amazon account I can use ;)

Last edited:
Even when I'm shooting bursts at weddings they're plenty quick enough for me. Especially when one of my last weddings I accidentally moved the A9ii to shoot high speed, so took 4000 photos by 4pm (on one camera) and didn't even notice the buffering etc.
Easy done :)

Back