The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

thats pretty shocking really, but everyones on the fe hype train so theres no pressure from the media on sony to actually do something for its old customers :/

If I was switching from MFT to the A6000 series most of the lenses I'd want are there (I'd be going for 28, 35, 50, 85mm FF equiv primes I suppose) but I don't think I'd go for their big fat 24mm (for a 35mm FF equiv FoV.) I'd want a more compact and probably cheaper one. Other than that there doesn't seem to be a quality f2.8 zoom trilogy.

I suppose they mostly just sell a body and kit zoom.

Hiya. It should match the Sony crop sensors :)
That's not what dpr say. They say the 80D is an improvement over previous Canon's but falls a bit short of the best aps-c's, which they specify as the A6300 and some Nikon or other... see the dpr 80D review for more.

I have a feeling Sony is about to blow canon out of the water again when the A9 comes.. Just have this feeling. Don't throw your cash just yet until all the chips are down

Kind of hope they stop with the sensor mp increases and focus on the rest of the camera. Touch screen, processor etc

Kind of hope they stop with the sensor mp increases and focus on the rest of the camera. Touch screen, processor etc
But would Sony do these things with a new camera and keep the same sensor? Did they do that when they went from A7 to A7ii? Maybe? But more usually you get a different sensor too, maybe people expect it.

The problem Sony have is they are going the high mega pixel route which needs heavy CPU performance, the data involved with high mp FF impacts AF / FPS / Transfer speeds.
Sony should consider whacking in Dual-CPU's, USB 3.0 data bus so that they speed up things in terms of AF and data write speeds, also improving FPS.

What is it the A7 doesn't do for your shooting style that you want the A9 for Jonney? I get that the next camera is always going to be the best through basic GAS logic but isn't there a point when you realise that the kit you have is more than good enough?

Obviously if you're a sports shooter then Sony don't yet have the entire body/lens/support infrastructure so it could potentially eat into that CaNikon strength but realistically, how many people are barely scratching the surface of what existing kit can actually deliver?

But that could impact heat, disipation and battery life.
That's why using smaller micron technology for circuits and going to bigger in body size is probably what will happen with the A9, perhaps it will have a integrated battery grip like the Nikon D4/5 and Canon 1DX I/II style bodies?

This year is going to be a big year for Sony and I think it'll be a even better year than when we saw the A7RII receive high praise.

Part of me wishes I waited a little while longer for a A9 body but I was offered a good deal on my A7RII's which I couldn't say no to. ;)

I'm a big GAS sufferer so to be honest the A7RII's are probably way more than I need in a camera body let alone a A9!!

Last edited:
That's why using smaller micron technology for circuits and going to bigger in body size is probably what will happen with the A9, perhaps it will have a integrated battery grip like the Nikon D4/5 and Canon 1DX I/II style bodies?

This year is going to be a big year for Sony and I think it'll be a even better year than when we saw the A7RII receive high praise.

Part of me wishes I waited a little while longer for a A9 body but I was offered a good deal on my A7RII's which I couldn't say no to. ;)

I'm a big GAS sufferer so to be honest the A7RII's are probably way more than I need in a camera body let alone a A9!!

The thing is you've had and enjoyed your cameras, you could be waiting for something that may not even happen. Its been rumoured for bloody ages.

Think there's more chance of a7iii coming.
Who knows.

Anyway - cracking weather today. Hoping to get one of the cameras out and shoot.

What is it the A7 doesn't do for your shooting style that you want the A9 for Jonney? I get that the next camera is always going to be the best through basic GAS logic but isn't there a point when you realise that the kit you have is more than good enough?

Obviously if you're a sports shooter then Sony don't yet have the entire body/lens/support infrastructure so it could potentially eat into that CaNikon strength but realistically, how many people are barely scratching the surface of what existing kit can actually deliver?
Just built quality but u can't have it all.

Also faster buffer rate.

It could well be a good year or two for Sony... profits are up and the A63000 is moving things on and maybe the next FF camera / cameras will move things on too. Hope so :D

I'm pretty happy with my lowly A7 :D and it's just about perfect for me with just a couple of nit picking criticisms but I can at least begin to appreciate what others are calling for.

I do still sort of wish Sony had gone for the manual dials as per Fuji and that seems to be the Fuji USP for me but I suppose it's way too late for Sony to go that way now as only a couple of the lenses have an aperture ring.

Think there's more chance of a7iii coming.
Who knows.

Anyway - cracking weather today. Hoping to get one of the cameras out and shoot.
Coldish here but the main thing is that there's complete cloud cover and as usual dead light and very little detail in the sky, mostly just a featureless big white/grey expanse.

Just built quality but u can't have it all.

Also faster buffer rate.

If you mean weather sealing then I get that if you're regularly in extreme climates etc. With the buffer rate, do you tend to machine gun so it struggles to keep up?

I get that we all shoot our kit differently but while Sony have people willing to fork out for the next model each time it's released, as a business, they will carry on with the production line of releases that so many people slate them for.

Last edited:
Just upgraded my A7RII's to firmware version 3.20, nothing exciting to report :(
I want Sony to start pushing out firmware updates which include actual real-work performance & feature upgrades like what Fuji seem to have been doing since the original Fuji X100 :)

Just upgraded my A7RII's to firmware version 3.20, nothing exciting to report :(
I want Sony to start pushing out firmware updates which include actual real-work performance & feature upgrades like what Fuji seem to have been doing since the original Fuji X100 :)

Kaizen rules but Sony did alright with the a7ii 3rd party pdaf... I'm not sure they will go back a gen and provide updates for the original. It's a start though, usually they just throw out a new model to fix current issues.

Annoyingly all manufacturers could probably extend the life of their products but choose not to. A new model means greater profits. It's all about the money. Most iso and af improvements are processing and algorithm tweaks.... fw basically.

Raving about the Batis 18mm at the rumor site...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-batis-18mm-lens-test-by-3dkraft-this-lens-is-simply-amazing/

Links to reviews are on the site.

I have some free time tomorrow so I will be heading off somewhere no matter what the weather. It's raining today and there's no light and no sky and I have no doubt it'll be the same tomorrow so to save disappointment (I have any number of dead light no sky shots and I don't need another) I may just leave the camera at home.

Last edited:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-batis-18mm-lens-test-by-3dkraft-this-lens-is-simply-amazing/

I have some free time tomorrow so I will be heading off somewhere no matter what the weather. It's raining today and there's no light and no sky and I have no doubt it'll be the same tomorrow so to save disappointment (I have any number of dead light no sky shots and I don't need another) I may just leave the camera at home.

Leaving the camera at home is one way to guarantee sunshine...... :)

Leaving the camera at home is one way to guarantee sunshine...... :)

I was just complaining... the camera will be going with me no matter what. Thinking of taking a 24mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.2 so even if the weather is naff I can have some fun with perspective and wide apertures.

That 18mm is drool-worthy!

Back when I had a 5D I had a 20mm f1.8 and 12-24mm. IMO you have to work hard to get the best results with lenses like these but they can get you pictures with a wow factor :D

I hear you, I tend to prefer a slightly narrower lens as a wide angle, 21/24mm is ideal for me!

A little of subject, but I know a lot in this thread have an A6000.

I'm going to buy this camera, mainly for video work with my A7 lenses, but think I'd like to buy one dedicated lens to use the camera as a small solution when needed.

I like 28mm as a walk-about focal length, so thinking the Sigma 19mm f2.8 would be a good choice. Does anyone use this lens? if so what your opinion of it?

Back when I had a 5D I had a 20mm f1.8 and 12-24mm. IMO you have to work hard to get the best results with lenses like these but they can get you pictures with a wow factor :D

When you are on walk about is it more enclosed surrounding? I like my wider lenes but find much below 50mm dose not have the reach I need. I have been using my 70-200 fe f4 as a walk about recently.

When you are on walk about is it more enclosed surrounding? I like my wider lenes but find much below 50mm dose not have the reach I need. I have been using my 70-200 fe f4 as a walk about recently.

I tend more towards 35-50mm and generally prefer primes. One thing I do like is taking shots of any nice flowers I pass :D so 50mm or a bit longer and close focusing are handy too :D

I tend more towards 35-50mm and generally prefer primes. One thing I do like is taking shots of any nice flowers I pass :D so 50mm or a bit longer and close focusing are handy too :D
For the 35 I guess it's the Sony fe 35 f2.8? What about the 50?

Yes, I have the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 but will probably take manual lenses out tomorrow. I'm often tied to the house for long periods and have a GF too so I look forward to getting a break and the chance to get out by myself.

Tend to gravitate toward 35, if I was taking only one lens it would be that, however I'm leaning toward trying out a 24/50 combo instead...

Back