The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I know but my bank balance won't allow me to get any more lenses just yet..... :(

You going to treat yourself?

Can't really see much point. I have the excellent 55mm so all this lens offers is a slightly wider fov in a slightly more compact package. Had they both come out at the same time I may well have chosen it for those advantages and been willing to accept what I assume is slightly lesser imsge quality but as I have the 55mm already I don't think the width and slightly more compact package are enough to tempt me go through the hassle.

Is the 18mm f2.8 "Too good to be true"...

http://tv.digitalrev.com/v/EModC1e2Izc?utm_source=20160506&utm_medium=Weekly Newsletter&utm_campaign=edm

Can't really see much point. I have the excellent 55mm so all this lens offers is a slightly wider fov in a slightly more compact package. Had they both come out at the same time I may well have chosen it for those advantages and been willing to accept what I assume is slightly lesser imsge quality but as I have the 55mm already I don't think the width and slightly more compact package are enough to tempt me go through the hassle.

http://tv.digitalrev.com/v/EModC1e2Izc?utm_source=20160506&utm_medium=Weekly Newsletter&utm_campaign=edm

Yeah, tbh for the price of a used 55 vs a new FE 50 Id spend the extra. It just seems that much better.

Forgot you had the 55 Zeiss

Yup. I have just the three lenses, the 28-70mm kit lens which I still haven't used apart from testing it in the house and garden, the 35mm f2.8 and the 55mm f1.8 plus I have a load of manual lenses from 24 to 135mm and a 70-210mm zoom.

I keep thinking about buying more lenses for my A7 but at the moment MFT is still my most used system :D

I have my G1 which I often take when going for a walk locally (just in case I get mugged as I live in a crappy area and it's worth about 2p...) I often use it with a Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro or some other cheap manual lens or with an Olympus 25mm f1.8 as I take a lot of shots about the house and garden when my GF wants to send a picture back home... shots of food and flowers in the garden and clothes she's bought and the like :D I have a GX7 and a G7 the former for when I want a really compact camera and lens and the latter I bought specifically to use with a 12-35mm f2.8. I have 2 x 14-42mm variable aperture zooms, a 45-200mm, 20mm f1.7 and 17, 25mm and 45mm f1.8's. I mostly use MFT but my Sony gear is my luxury kit :D

24-70mm f1.8 GM thingy review with image samples here...

http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-sony-fe-24-70mm-f2-8-gm/

And from the conclusion...

"Conclusion
Pros
  • Exceptionally well-built lens with great haptics and weather sealing
  • Fast, quiet and accurate autofocus at most apertures
  • Focuses very close
  • Extremely sharp across the frame at all focal lengths and apertures
  • Very nice bokeh
  • Excellent color and contrast
  • Very low chromatic aberration
  • Good flare control
Cons
  • Big and heavy (but expected)
  • Mount gasket doesn’t actually touch the mount of the camera
  • Some focus errors at small apertures
  • Some distortion throughout the range
  • Vignetting never goes away
  • Price
The cons list may seem a bit long at first for such a high priced lens, but for the most part, they are nitpicks (though worth mentioning). The lens is a very large and very heavy lens for its focal range, and is larger even than many SLR lenses with the same focal length and aperture. It also is a very expensive lens at $2,200 US. However, if you’re a pro who needs a fast standard zoom with excellent quality, both of those cons are really a non issue, and the size is expected given the full-frame coverage and fast aperture.

The bottom line is that this lens is exceptional. I’ve never used a standard lens that is this sharp, and the sharpness is outstanding throughout the entire range and at all apertures and all focus distances. It’s truly remarkable. Throw in good (but not great) bokeh, outstanding color and contrast and very low CA and you’ve got a standard lens that can truly take the place of a bag full of primes. While I personally can’t justify the exorbitant price for my own shooting, those who need a fast standard zoom will be hard pressed to find a better lens. Whether shooting landscapes, events or any other type of shooting, it’s simply an exceptional optic and a wonderful way to kick off the G Master lens line."

That's nice :D

24-70mm f1.8 GM thingy review with image samples here...

http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-sony-fe-24-70mm-f2-8-gm/

And from the conclusion...

"Conclusion
Pros
  • Exceptionally well-built lens with great haptics and weather sealing
  • Fast, quiet and accurate autofocus at most apertures
  • Focuses very close
  • Extremely sharp across the frame at all focal lengths and apertures
  • Very nice bokeh
  • Excellent color and contrast
  • Very low chromatic aberration
  • Good flare control
Cons
  • Big and heavy (but expected)
  • Mount gasket doesn’t actually touch the mount of the camera
  • Some focus errors at small apertures
  • Some distortion throughout the range
  • Vignetting never goes away
  • Price
The cons list may seem a bit long at first for such a high priced lens, but for the most part, they are nitpicks (though worth mentioning). The lens is a very large and very heavy lens for its focal range, and is larger even than many SLR lenses with the same focal length and aperture. It also is a very expensive lens at $2,200 US. However, if you’re a pro who needs a fast standard zoom with excellent quality, both of those cons are really a non issue, and the size is expected given the full-frame coverage and fast aperture.

The bottom line is that this lens is exceptional. I’ve never used a standard lens that is this sharp, and the sharpness is outstanding throughout the entire range and at all apertures and all focus distances. It’s truly remarkable. Throw in good (but not great) bokeh, outstanding color and contrast and very low CA and you’ve got a standard lens that can truly take the place of a bag full of primes. While I personally can’t justify the exorbitant price for my own shooting, those who need a fast standard zoom will be hard pressed to find a better lens. Whether shooting landscapes, events or any other type of shooting, it’s simply an exceptional optic and a wonderful way to kick off the G Master lens line."

That's nice :D

Interesting other reviewers put the canikon versions ahead in corner performance, perhaps he's not made the comparison but purely judging it by its own merits. Either way a very good zoom lens for Sony fe users.

Last edited:
I've only read a few reviews, maybe 3, but all have placed the GM slightly ahead of the Canon and Nikon lenses even to the edges.

Anyway, personally I wouldn't worry too much about the performance of any of the various lens in this zoom and price range but one thing that I wonder is if this lens is designed for a higher mp count sensor and maybe that would go someway to explain it's size and weight. Makes me wonder if the rumours of an above the A7 range A9 high mp count camera are about to come true.

I've only read a few reviews, maybe 3, but all have placed the GM slightly ahead of the Canon and Nikon lenses even to the edges.

Anyway, personally I wouldn't worry too much about the performance of any of the various lens in this zoom and price range but one thing that I wonder is if this lens is designed for a higher mp count sensor and maybe that would go someway to explain it's size and weight. Makes me wonder if the rumours of an above the A7 range A9 high mp count camera are about to come true.

Sony stated when the lens wer anaconced that they were designed with future cameras in mind. Looks like they have pulled it off.

If its a sport camera there are other issues, buffer, fps, etc. Large files require processing power, the sports cameras are low MP for a reason. The A7rii is already high MP so why introduce the same camera twice.

If its a sport camera there are other issues, buffer, fps, etc. Large files require processing power, the sports cameras are low MP for a reason. The A7rii is already high MP so why introduce the same camera twice.

I guess it will be similar to the differences between a D810 and D5 (or the canon versions)

ive heard the zoom ring can be really stiff on the 2470, and its fatness is annoying if you have mid / large fingers as theres little space between the lens and body grip, and theres no focus scale :(

colours are better on the za2470, cos its zeiss coatings/colours :)

More manual Rokkor fun at the beach :D

As I took this it reminded me of a game from years ago, Missile Command.

Maybe it'd be nice to live 20 feet from the beach.

An almost empty beach. The view each way...

Not very seaworthy.

100% crop. Sharp, at least near the centre.

:D

Little rock pool.

100% through the trees... I think with the 50mm. One good thing about shooting with these manual lenses is the lack of exif info. I forget what lens I used and it somehow matters less :D

Last edited:
haha. Yes, for about three days and happily I had some free time on one of them and even managed to get a little sunburnt.

ISO 8,000 and very quiet.... as in no noise :D haha. See what I did there? I applied minimal NR is CS5, just the same settings I use for ISO 100 shots.

Got my feet wet.

See the ship? Neither did I and I didn't see every bolt holding the pier together either but on my computer... I can :D

It may be only 24mp but the detail in the pictures continues to surprise and amaze me :D and all with lenses that I paid (almost) buttons for :D

Last edited:
More sunstar, flare and colour fun...

Bit soft there lar? (f1.2)

But luckily I remembered what I'd focused on so one twig is pretty sharp :D

Boring front to back and side to side sharpness...

I think I prefer f1.2 :D

Last edited:
All these new lenses look lovely but I think I've got everything I want / need now.

I only have three lenses for my A7, the kit lens and the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8, but I think that the manual lenses I have are good enough for occasional use and MF is fine for landscape, scene and static people shots.

I don't know what would tempt me to get a new body either. I'll still follow developments though and one thing I probably would buy is a compact but pretty good 35mm f1.8 :D

Having read a lot of this thread I finally gave into the GAS today and ordered the A7ii, 24-70 f4 and the 55mm 1.8. Should be here by the end of the week.

Sold all my Nikon DSRL kit at the end of last year and invested in the Olympus M43 system, which is tiny gear and good enough quality but not good enough for my liking. Not enough detail and not enough 'jazz' in the pictures for me! If that makes any sense..

So hopefully the Sony will be the answer, certainly looks like it from some of the pics in this thread and on Flickr.

Lovely day on Sunday, went for a walk in south London (and found later there's a mark on my sensor)

26826659691_472a0a9b7c_c.jpg

26860598496_c0cb3613d3_c.jpg

Enjoyed using my 50mm which is more challenging than the 21mm (first photo). Only took the two lenses

26290004203_feac1a453c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Back