The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It seems highly probable as the £ has lost ground against the $ and € for many it's going to really restrict this kind of spending

The Yen has risen a lot over the last year as well (from memory it was about 20% higher than a year ago before Brexit). I'd be surprised if we didn't see similar price rises from all Japanese manufacturers tbh.

Looking on some of the grey sites, some items are quite a bit more than UK prices now. Think they will be hurt the most by the current currency rates, especially if this does last a few years as it looks like it will.

Makes sense to me, but glad I've finished buying for now :)

Does anyone use the A6000 16-50 kit lens and if so is it okay?

I know it won't be great, but I'm tempted to buy it, along with a waterproof housing (pretty cheap now for A6000), to use for shots in the sea. Any opinions?

I'm quite impressed by it TBH, certainly a lot better than I expected and it's so small and compact make the A6000 a great walk about camera that can fit in a jacket pocket, well worth getting it I think. They seem to sell for around £70 used on mainstream dealer sites.

Paul

Last edited:
In need of advice

A life long Canon guy, but bitten by the Sony ARII's spec so seriously looking to buy.

Can anyone give advice on using Canon EF Glass with this camera

Thank you

I've got the Canon 70-200 L f4 non IS lens and a Fotodiox adapter and it works very well, all the functionality is there although the constant focus or tracking focus is no good but auto AF on static subjects is fine.
I had the 100 F2 Canon lens but it wouldn't auto focus with that adapter, it kept hunting. The Fotodiox adapter is about £70, the Metabones adapter is meant to be much better but about £300.
Manual focus is easy with these lenses. The IQ is excellent too on the A7Rii.
The Canon lenses offer excellent value compared to the Sony E mount lenses, the Sony 70-200 f4 hovers around £900 even used while I picked up the Canon 70-200 for £280 in mint cond.

Paul

In need of advice
A life long Canon guy, but bitten by the Sony ARII's spec so seriously looking to buy.
Can anyone give advice on using Canon EF Glass with this camera
Thank you

Not a problem at all.
AF is little bit slower, but if you are not expecting some very fast action - the results are amazing
I am using Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8 L mark II, Sigma 35mm, Canon 16-35 F4 IS and some other - and I love it.

How many of you guys live near or in London?
I may organise a photo walk

Yes, please.
I am free quite often
It will be nice to meet another people that will not look me strange if I am talking about lenses and cameras :) :)

Last edited:
I've got the Canon 70-200 L f4 non IS lens and a Fotodiox adapter and it works very well, all the functionality is there although the constant focus or tracking focus is no good but auto AF on static subjects is fine.
I had the 100 F2 Canon lens but it wouldn't auto focus with that adapter, it kept hunting. The Fotodiox adapter is about £70, the Metabones adapter is meant to be much better but about £300.
Manual focus is easy with these lenses. The IQ is excellent too on the A7Rii.
The Canon lenses offer excellent value compared to the Sony E mount lenses, the Sony 70-200 f4 hovers around £900 even used while I picked up the Canon 70-200 for £280 in mint cond.

Paul
Paul

Thank you... se which adaptor do you use ?

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, just pointing out that £1500 and bargain is for most photographers an absurd statement.

It's a bargain in that it appears to be competing at least sharpness wise with a very expensive lens indeed :D

Follow the link... read the write up... and YOU TOO will be saying that this new 50mm f1.4 is an absolute BARGAIN! :D

And being serious, and not that I wasn't being serious before... All things are relative and this new Sony lens seems to be competing with the benchmark best and it offers auto focus too so I think that for those looking at very high end lenses it may well be a bit of a bargain :D

PS. I've just checked and I think the Otus is £2600? So the Sony is about £1k cheaper.

No, I'm not in the market for either and I doubt many reading this are but on other forums there are Otus users so the new Sony may well find buyers and in fact I'm sure it will, just not me and Chris :D

Last edited:
You are correct Alan I could see this as a realistic alternative for your 1.8 and while you don't suffer from gas this may just electrify you :naughty:

If a film era manual focus Minolta 50mm f1.4 is good enough for me I think this new jobbie will be overkill. I have the 55mm f1.8 and although I could be tempted to a modern AF 50mm f1.4 I think it's more likely to be some future Tamron, Sigma, Samyang or whatever... as I'm completely honest about my needs and I just don't need the worlds best kit.

If a film era manual focus Minolta 50mm f1.4 is good enough for me I think this new jobbie will be overkill. I have the 55mm f1.8 and although I could be tempted to a modern AF 50mm f1.4 I think it's more likely to be some future Tamron, Sigma, Samyang or whatever... as I'm completely honest about my needs and I just don't need the worlds best kit.

I'll be glad if/when the likes on Sigma/Tamron do join the Sony party. I think this is what the system desperately needs - good lenses that are affordable to more people.

Doesn't really affect me personally, the f4 Sony glass is fine for my needs and not too ridiculously priced. But the prices of the new lenses must put a few off buying into the system?

For what it's worth, I think all of the bodies are pretty good value. Lenses - not so much (very good, but a bit steep :eek:)

I'll be glad if/when the likes on Sigma/Tamron do join the Sony party. I think this is what the system desperately needs - good lenses that are affordable to more people.

Doesn't really affect me personally, the f4 Sony glass is fine for my needs and not too ridiculously priced. But the prices of the new lenses must put a few off buying into the system?

For what it's worth, I think all of the bodies are pretty good value. Lenses - not so much (very good, but a bit steep :eek:)

The way Sigma and Tamron are going maybe hopes of a bargain basement but good enough 50mm f1.4 may rest with some Chinese company we never heard of...??? Yes, we have the Samyang and that may suit some but it looks a bit podgy for me.

And just back to the Sony 50mm f1.4 pricing, I should know better than to be a little tongue in cheek in this thread as young Chris takes me 100% seriously and just about has an embolism every time I do but here's what Lens Rentals has to say...

Vs the Otus.
"The Sony is phenomenally good in the center; just absolutely superb. From a resolution standpoint it is clearly better than the Otus in the center, and just as good as the Otus away from the center as well. There is a little sag of the Sony’s MTF halfway to the center but then improvement out to the edges."

Vs the Sigma ART...
"The Sigma is really good, and I won’t argue if the Sony is worth the financial difference. But from an MTF standpoint, the Sony is better."

Vs Nikon 50mm f1.4G...
"But the Sony is dramatically better, which at the price it should be."

"Quick Summary:
The Sony Planar 50mm f/1.4 is expensive and not everyone needs to plop that much money down for a 50mm lens. But, if you do need one, it’s worth the money; it’s really superb. The center sharpness in particular is unheard of in a 50mm lens. This seems to be a pattern we’re seeing with some of the new Sony lenses, too: The fine resolution (at higher frequencies) is higher than we’re used to seeing.

From a pure value standpoint, the price is reasonable. Best quality prime lenses tend to cost well over $1,000 and some up to $2,000, and this is a best quality prime lens. Your shooting may not require a top-of-the-line 50mm lens and there are lots of other options in that focal length for FE shooters. But if you require the best one, then this would be the one you buy, at least based on bench test results. (Remember, I never suggest buying a lens based solely on test results. Go check out pictures, too.)"

And lastly...

"Summary
MTF tests like this give you a good idea of how sharp the lens might be and how much sample variation you should expect. On the basis of these, the Sony 50mm f/1.4 Planar is as good as anything available. For those of you who need a really high-quality 50mm lens on an FE mount camera, it looks like your best choice.

The very flat field with almost no curvature is another plus, and one that may appeal to photographers every bit as much as the excellent MTF does.

But of course the proof is in the pictures. We’re starting to see some sample images online and that will explode shortly, giving you a chance to evaluate the bokeh and the lens’ performance in various lighting conditions. But unless those greatly surprise me, I think a lot of people are going to love this lens."

I do wonder if these very sharp new lenses hint at high mp count cameras to come. Chances are they do.

Out of interest, if you can use Canon glass on A7's via the adapter can you not therefore use Canon fit Sigma/Tamron and so be able to use Sigma art lenses?

Don't know if I'm being silly, but was in M mode earlier and whilst looking through the VF I could see the bar/gauge/slider thing that all cameras have that tell you if your exposure is correct '0' or + or - the '0' that is correct. But I can't see this in LV/monitor so have to rely on the histogram. Am I missing a setting to get it to display in on the back monitor?

Do you guys use live view a lot since it AF like a digital compact

Don't know if I'm being silly, but was in M mode earlier and whilst looking through the VF I could see the bar/gauge/slider thing that all cameras have that tell you if your exposure is correct '0' or + or - the '0' that is correct. But I can't see this in LV/monitor so have to rely on the histogram. Am I missing a setting to get it to display in on the back monitor?

OK. This is what happens with my A7.

I have mine set so that when looking at the back screen I have the histogram in the image and below the image I have the shutter speed, aperture, exposure and ISO. When set like this the exposure appears not as a bar but just as a number, plus or minus.

I can have the exposure scale on the back screen in Aperture or Shutter priority (as long as "exposure Set Guide" is set to "On" on page two of the little gear section of the menu) and I can call it up by using the back wheel, not the exposure dial but the other dial to the left of the exposure dial. The exposure dial doesn't call up the scale and just changes the plus and minus values below the image.

In manual mode I can't get the exposure dial to appear so I'm just left with the plus and minus values in the bar under the image. Maybe yours is the same?

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
With any mirrorless camera you're always using live view because there's no mirror/optical viewfinder. The only difference is the size of the LCD you're looking at.

Indeed.

Do you guys use live view a lot since it AF like a digital compact

I use the EVF most of the time but I do use the back screen occasionally for shooting low down or for a waist high perspective.

Good things about these mirrorless no micro adjustments needs doing as focus point be always accurate?

Tmr all being well A7ii with 28-70 kit lens and a 70-200 f4 £2199

Last edited:
Back