The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Why you selling again forgot what you said though think you mentioned extra Sony warranty and £2k plus

I've had a IT contract crop up which will mean I can't go ahead with my photography route for the next 10-12 months as I won't have the time.

I'll be selling the following hopefully.....
Sony A7RII with Sony LCD protector & extended warranty x2
Sony VG-C2EM Battery Grip x2
Sony NP-FW50 Battery x2
Sony TRW charger x2
Sony FE 55mm f1.8
Sony FE 70-200mm f4 G OSS
Zeiss Batis 25mm f2.0
Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8
Nissin i40 Flash
Nissin Di700a & Air 1 Commander x2
Nissin PS-8 x2

:)

Not according to a few people with dodgy focus module snerkler one of them

I think you're misquoting me. Mine was spot on, accurate and reliable although had a general front focus issue in which I had to fine tune all of my lenses with +ve fine tune (after which it was spot on 99.9% of the time). When I recently sent it in for the recall I (now regrettably) asked them to recalibrate my AF system and now it's fubar and so being sent back to them :( So the D750 is fast, accurate and reliable just that mine is (hopefully temporarily) broken.

Pmsl, sure because after almost 50k actuations all his photos have been oof.... yeah right.

Must be faulty.... like your last d750 :rolleyes:

Done over 50k now, and I'd like to think I got at least a handful of sharp pics ;)

Last edited:
My family on family outing. Landscape and odd attraction visits like zoo

Honestly, if you're missing shots on any of these occasions when you've had Sony A7, Fuji XT1 and Nikon D750, the issue is the 12" behind the camera and not the kit.

This is what I shoot with on family days out and get more than enough keepers ;0)

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1468868507.759508.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1468868527.236930.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1468868555.734366.jpg

Not sure if I have said I am not getting any keepers on my D750? I am getting quite a lot of keepers but some time the Focus seems off and then it back to normal this is what confuse me as at the weekend I had hell a lot of keepers the week before was poor.

Anyway back on topic so really I should get a lot of keepers with the A7Ii then..

What is the Hit rate on this A7II

To add, have you looked at the shots you 'missed' and tried to understand why you did? Did you use too slow a shutter speed, was the aperture too wide to get enough dof, was your focus point on the background instead of the subject, did you just mis-time your shot?

Unless you know why you missed the shots, there's no point going round in circles buying more kit because you'll just waste more money and still miss shots.

There is no "hit rate" on any camera. If you use the wrong setting for the shot you'll miss it, it's as simple as that.
Ok and sorry....

Which A7 yours

Not sure if I have said I am not getting any keepers on my D750? I am getting quite a lot of keepers but some time the Focus seems off and then it back to normal this is what confuse me as at the weekend I had hell a lot of keepers the week before was poor.

Anyway back on topic so really I should get a lot of keepers with the A7Ii then..

What is the Hit rate on this A7II
It doesn't make sense that you're getting keepers one minute then not the next, unless of course you're swapping lenses and one of the lenses isn't calibrated. Of course it could also depend on your expectations as shots in poor light are never going to look as sharp/detailed as ones in good light, even if you can keep ISO low.

I don't see why the A7ii would give you any higher keeper rate, the only real variance is that phase detect has a tolerance of 1/3 of the depth of focus whereas contrast detect should be nailed , assuming good technique of course. Also that's not to say phase detect will be soft either, it just might not be absolutely as 100% tack sharp if pixel peeping and being extra picky. My 70-200 was tack sharp 99.9% of the time though.

There is no "hit rate" on any camera. If you use the wrong setting for the shot you'll miss it, it's as simple as that.
I'm not sure I agree, cameras can miss focus on odd occasions. For example "hit rate" of mirrorless in AF-C shooting moving subjects has tended to be lower than DSLR, although mirrorless is obviously catching up. On my EM5-II using AF-C keeper rate was around 50%. At the same time keeper rate on my D750 was 99%.

I'm not sure I agree, cameras can miss focus on odd occasions. For example "hit rate" of mirrorless in AF-C shooting moving subjects has tended to be lower than DSLR, although mirrorless is obviously catching up. On my EM5-II using AF-C keeper rate was around 50%. At the same time keeper rate on my D750 was 99%.

Also true but with the wrong settings it's miles worse.

I get what Snerkler is saying but there is so much more to getting a 'good' shot than an arbitrary percentage figure. You've shot with 3 of probably the most popular current systems so should be best placed to decide on what's the right kit for you. There's no reason why any of them shouldn't deliver results anyone would be happy with.

I shot my last wedding a few months ago with a D750/24-70 and my A6000/70-200 and the bride and groom were made up with all of the shots and didn't really care which ones were shot on the Nikon and which were the Sony.

You've had both cameras and you're still at this, I've stayed away for a few weeks yet still the same questions. Lol.
Might as well stay away longer lol.. Think I prob stay away now as I sense something now so thank you guys....

What were your reasons for getting rid of the A7ii before? and the XT-1 and D750 for that matter?

They are all brilliant cameras, what did you find wasn't right for you?

Xt1 I just didnt like it and couldn't get on with it..

A7ii I did like it very much but had a really dirty one sensor was mucky as hell even at F8... So it went back wishes I gave it another chance..

D750 my first was a dodgy that for sure as I was not getting many keepers. This current D750 I am getting a lot more keepers and lovely images with my lens. But I keep thinking do I miss the sony size and do I miss the EVF and IBIS and Live view..

But yeah but if the setting is right what the hit rate
Andy I think you might be over thinking it for a change :p

Looking at your photostream you're not taking shots that are demanding on AF systems therefore you should be fine whether you stick with the D750, get another A7, another Fuji, or decide to try something completely different and get a Leica ;)

If you were heading down to Donington every week, or going to events like this Wednesday's Sheffield Grand Prix, or wanting to take pics of erratic birds in flight then I'd be telling you to stick with the Nikon.

As it is with the shots you've taken to date any camera will be fine. Instead of worrying about absolute critical sharpness focus (excuse the pun) on the more important things like what you're capturing, getting the 'moment', composition etc. We all want our images to be tack sharp every time but in reality it's not the be all and end all, some of the best shots I've seen have been quite soft, but it's not mattered as the images were powerful and told a story.

Also, when looking at cameras focus on ergonomics, button placement, lens selection. Cameras are about having fun, stressing over critical sharpness should not take over that enjoyment. That's not to say it should be neglected, just don't let it over shadow everything else.

You've gone from a 5D3 to D750 to Sony A7 (Can't remember which model), back to a D750 (with possibly a Fuji in between) and they can't all have had focus issues ;) :p Do you think maybe you should look at what you might be doing wrong rather than looking at changing cameras every time you get some shots you're not happy with ;) :p

Might as well stay away longer lol.. Think I prob stay away now as I sense something now so thank you guys....
Hi Andrew

The only thing you are sensing is that the TP group members are trying to help you with answers the real problem is each member has different methods of doing their own thing I for example like aperture priority then manual and least for me shutter priority so trying to predict your hit rate is not possible.

As far as I understand any body that can have the lens removed has a chance of dirt entering on some of the older model canons they had an issue with oil splatter

I would recommend the same as Wissel Ie decide on your camera body then stick for at least a year works out expensive switching

Allan

One thing I didn't use or try is video. Is it like a camcorder ie AF all the time

I know that in the past you've felt like people have been ganging up on you and being unfair. I'm genuinely not trying to be funny, just giving you my honest advice.

Nobody delivers great images every single time so you need to accept that and not try to throw money at it because it will just become a money pit with no real improvement in your photography. Instead of getting disheartened when you don't nail the shot you had in your head, you have two options:

1) Keep trying to nail the same type of shot until you figure out why you didn't get it in the first place.

2) Move on and try another shot instead.

With digital we all shoot hundreds of images on any given day out and I'm pretty sure that we all come home with as many poor shots as good every time. The beauty of digital is that it doesn't cost you anything once you've bought the kit so just keep on shooting until you figure it out.

I shoot mainly film now and with large format you get 1 shot that generally costs around £15 once I've bought the slide film, developed and scanned so I have to nail it or I'll be skint pretty quickly!

Basically, whichever kit you shoot with you will get good results once you understand both it and the conditions you're shooting in. The ergonomics of the kit is way more important than the perceived keeper rate. If you don't like the handling, you won't get consistent results.

One thing I didn't use or try is video. Is it like a camcorder ie AF all the time

Yes, the sensor is being read continually so mirrorless bodies will all AF in video. That doesn't mean that you can't manually focus and that's generally a better option anyway to stop AF noise and the camera focusing on something other than what you want it to.

I've had a IT contract crop up which will mean I can't go ahead with my photography route for the next 10-12 months as I won't have the time.

I'll be selling the following hopefully.....
Sony A7RII with Sony LCD protector & extended warranty x2
Sony VG-C2EM Battery Grip x2
Sony NP-FW50 Battery x2
Sony TRW charger x2
Sony FE 55mm f1.8
Sony FE 70-200mm f4 G OSS
Zeiss Batis 25mm f2.0
Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8
Nissin i40 Flash
Nissin Di700a & Air 1 Commander x2
Nissin PS-8 x2

:)
70-200 is tempting

Morning Chris

I guessed with the news of bargains in the Sony line up you may well be tempted :ROFLMAO:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, just pointing out that £1500 and bargain is for most photographers an absurd statement.

Realistically, how many hobbyists are going to see enough difference in their results between the excellent 55/1.8 and the new 50/1.4 to see £1500 as a bargain? I think there's a point where the Emperors' New Clothes syndrome comes in :0)

Edit - The 'standard' 50/1.8 is probably equally good for the vast majority of photographers too.

I believe that the following lenses have already been increased in price before the incoming Sony hike.
50/1.4
70/200 f2.8 GM
Both TC's

From what I've been told prices could go up as much as 20%!!!

I believe that the following lenses have already been increased in price before the incoming Sony hike.
50/1.4
70/200 f2.8 GM
Both TC's

Makes sense to me, but glad I've finished buying for now :)

On a different subject, I asked yesterday about a small lens for the A6000. Well I trawled through the classified archives and saw the Sigma 19 & 30mm advertised, PM'd the seller to see if still available and have now bought them.

I think these will be ideal for now as reviews seem okay on both and cheap enough to take places I might not be happy taking my big kit :)

Does anyone use the A6000 16-50 kit lens and if so is it okay?

I know it won't be great, but I'm tempted to buy it, along with a waterproof housing (pretty cheap now for A6000), to use for shots in the sea. Any opinions?

Last edited:
50/1.4
70/200 f2.8 GM
Both TC's

It seems highly probable as the £ has lost ground against the $ and € for many it's going to really restrict this kind of spending

Back