The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

i honestly think the rumoured specs will be 100% correct. ie there will be two A9 bodies. one with a 70mp sensor and the other with same 42mp i believe but with unlimited buffer rate and very high fps!!
If both the A9 models are identical in spec apart from the 70mp sensor resolution I don't know which I would get......... depends on the pricing.... something tells me Sony won't be able to offer the same speeds for the 70mp model due to the amount of data speeds involved.

A9 - 42.2mp BSI - 15fps unlimited buffer with a 10fps low blackout mode - £3499
A9R - 70.2mp BSI - 8fps limited buffer - £3999

We may see a A9S model too? 24mp video dedicated model?

Last edited:
C2 for me :D

Is this to switch between evf and screen?

I have mine set to c1 but it doesn't work as I'd like it to as every time I turn the camera on it defaults to the back screen and I have to press c1 to get it to go to the evf and even then the back screen isn't really off and the info like is displayed, I think the backlight is still on too.

My MFT cameras work much better. They have a dedicated toggle switch and the camera remembers your choice when powered down and back up again plus when the back screen is supposed to be of it is really off. I do wish this was possible with my A7. The only way to get the back screen to be really off is to dive into the menu where I can select evf or back screen.

I haven't seen any A9 specs. I'll read with interest but I wont be buying. Actually I said that about the A7.

You lot seen this about Tokina AF lenses?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/toki...wide-and-a-zoom-autofocus-lens/#disqus_thread

I wonder if they'll do a compactish 35mm f1.8 :D

First hands on with the 50mm macro... but this vid is pretty much a waste of time...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-hands-on-with-the-new-sony-50mm-fe-macro-lens/#disqus_thread

I wonder if Sony will follow Hassy and Fuji and do a MF?

Last edited:
If both the A9 models are identical in spec apart from the 70mp sensor resolution I don't know which I would get......... depends on the pricing.... something tells me Sony won't be able to offer the same speeds for the 70mp model due to the amount of data speeds involved.

i would probably opt for the 70mp version and run that alongside my a7r2? dunno man its such a tough call. If sony released a 100-400mm equivalent G master lens and the A9's specced above i would seriously sell all my canon gear as i will now be happy that sony can cater for travel/street/landscape/wildlife/sports in one whole system..

All these A9 discussions are making me think there will not be another A7 announced? A7 iii or A7R ii?
Fear not.... the A7III / RIII / SIII will still be around, they should come out in 2017 with the A7III coming first.

i would probably opt for the 70mp version and run that alongside my a7r2? dunno man its such a tough call. If sony released a 100-400mm equivalent G master lens and the A9's specced above i would seriously sell all my canon gear as i will now be happy that sony can cater for travel/street/landscape/wildlife/sports in one whole system..
For me I think I would go for the fastest, 42.2mp is enough for me BUT if Sony did managed to release both the A9 bodies which are identical in speeds/performance just one having 42.2 and the other 70.2mp, I will go for the top 70.2 model.... need to push the G Master glass after all they have been designed for future sensors and high mp!! :D lol

To me top views can give the impression that the A7 is the size of a DSLR but a back view tells a different story.
To be honest, even with the 24-70mm f2.8 GM mounted on my A7RII, it still feels better than my old Brickon B7000 with Brickkor 17-55mm f2.8 lens setup.

Last edited:

8fps on a 70mp camera would be seriously impressive. and in all honestly -8fps is plenty fast enough for everyone.

Left Exmoor for Dartmoor yesterday, then for a walk over the Moors to find a spot called Windy Post (a bugger to find).

Weather wasn't great, but quite liked this shot:

Windy Post by David Black, on Flickr

To get this I was lying face down in the mud, with camera held down into the little falls, trying to see the screen to compose. I tried every way I could think of to get the camera stable enough to use a few filters, but just wasn't possible with what I had with me so no filters. Also I was really close to the water and couldn't get the whole shot in focus (was at f22).

Lastly, check out the dust spots! Guess what I'm doing this morning before heading out again :)

Left Exmoor for Dartmoor yesterday, then for a walk over the Moors to find a spot called Windy Post (a bugger to find).

Weather wasn't great, but quite liked this shot:

Windy Post by David Black, on Flickr

To get this I was lying face down in the mud, with camera held down into the little falls, trying to see the screen to compose. I tried every way I could think of to get the camera stable enough to use a few filters, but just wasn't possible with what I had with me so no filters. Also I was really close to the water and couldn't get the whole shot in focus (was at f22).

Lastly, check out the dust spots! Guess what I'm doing this morning before heading out again :)

Lovely shot. Have a go with the clone tool to see you you can clear that up.
I guess that's a good time for me to ask if a7ii a7rii owners are confident cleaning their sensor. Is it more difficult due to ibis.

Lovely shot. Have a go with the clone tool to see you you can clear that up.
I guess that's a good time for me to ask if a7ii a7rii owners are confident cleaning their sensor. Is it more difficult due to ibis.

Cheers Jon, I'll have a proper go at cleaning it up when I get home I think, my laptop isn't good enough for anything but basic edits.

I don't have any wet cleaning gear with me, so hoping a blower and proper lens/filter clean with be good enough for this week. If I was at home I'd do a proper wet clean (and will when I get back). I haven't done a wet clean yet on this body, but from what I read it's just a case of putting the camera into clean mode first, which locks up the IBIS but switches everything else off. Sure it will be fine.

(y)(y)(y)
Cheers Jon, I'll have a proper go at cleaning it up when I get home I think, my laptop isn't good enough for anything but basic edits.

I don't have any wet cleaning gear with me, so hoping a blower and proper lens/filter clean with be good enough for this week. If I was at home I'd do a proper wet clean (and will when I get back). I haven't done a wet clean yet on this body, but from what I read it's just a case of putting the camera into clean mode first, which locks up the IBIS but switches everything else off. Sure it will be fine.

Ah excellent. Was wondering how it worked with the ibis jigging the sensor about. That explains it

Sony A99 II now available for pre-order at WEX - £2999 :eek:
So the same price as the A7RII. :)

Yeah its been priced well in terms of the competition from Canon/Nikon etc.
I think Sony should re-jig the prices when the A9 comes out as follows as £3999 might be too much for the A9 :-

Sony A9 £3499
Sony A99 II £2899
Sony A7R II £2799
Sony A7S II £2699
Sony A7 II £1199

Digitalrev published their Sony A99II first impression review:

It is indeed smaller than the first A99 (8% to be exact), and so close in size to the a77 II that Sony can even use the same battery grip for both cameras.
The autofocus is worthy of all the Sony mirrorless cameras, and in Live View, it can focus at -4 EV – similar to the 5D Mark IV and far better than the D810, which only can focus at -2 EV.
In its current reincarnation, the A99 II is better than either mirrorless models from Sony, but that must surely be a sign that the A9-series is imminent. I think it’s pretty clear the A-mount is secondary to Sony’s thoughts, especially since the a99 II has nothing particularly new.

Come on Sony..... A9 please....... :D

Is this to switch between evf and screen?

I have mine set to c1 but it doesn't work as I'd like it to as every time I turn the camera on it defaults to the back screen and I have to press c1 to get it to go to the evf and even then the back screen isn't really off and the info like is displayed, I think the backlight is still on too.

It works most of the time. Sometimes (I think after changing battery) it reverts back to screen, but when on EVF, the screen is off-off as far as I can tell.

Does anyone here do alot of Travel Photography with the A7rii?
...Or know any in the industry that does? Would be intrigued to see Lens choices.

On longer trips, What do you take?
I'm trying to think how much range you could cover with just Sony Lens's

The option of using Canon ones too does help... (Thinking 2 lenses - months way)

i took my a7r2 with batis 25mm Sigma Art 35mm canon mount, 14mm samyang and 55mm sony zeiss.

I then bought my 5d3 with 70-200 f2.8.

I would take a 25mm batis, 55mm zeiss sony and a 70-200 f4 . will cover u from 25mm to 200mm using 3 lenses

i took my a7r2 with batis 25mm Sigma Art 35mm canon mount, 14mm samyang and 55mm sony zeiss.
I then bought my 5d3 with 70-200 f2.8.
I would take a 25mm batis, 55mm zeiss sony and a 70-200 f4 . will cover u from 25mm to 200mm using 3 lenses

Batis 25mm looks like a beautiful lens. I was considering a 24-70 zoom, for days where taking multiple lenses isnt an option.

Will do some digging, this is a 2017 idea.

Last edited:
Get the 24-70 f2.8 G master if u can afford. i sometimes use my canon equivalent but i get a long better with primes now in particularly the 25mm batis. Its my most used and favourite lens out of the lot.

so versatile for the shots i use it for and great IQ and Bokeh.

I got the 85mm batis as well and that lens is brilliant! But the 85mm canon f1.2 is magical when shot wide open.

Just a quick conversion of a shot taken on a miserable no sky rainy day, converted in that free Nik Silver Efex pro thingy...with added contrast and fiddled with curves and things and also a red filter for best effect.

A7 with 35mm f2.8 @f4.

And as you may know... :D My GF had a health scare earlier and was faced with two quite major operations PDQ but we got a second opinion and... looks like the first guy was waaaaay too keen to use his nice shiny scalpels. I wont go into details about womens issues but the second diagnosis is there's nothing to worry about :D Thanks for the kind thoughts when I posted earlier :D So all is back on track for a 2nd quarter wedding next year :D

Last edited:
Back