The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm glad I didn't buy that lens off you then lol

To be fair the QC on Sony lenses is hit and miss and sharpness isn't a defining factor in picking lenses etc. The 70-200mm f2.8 GM I had didn't wow me like the 24-70mm or 85mm GM's.
It was no sharper than my f4 version.

To be fair the QC on Sony lenses is hit and miss and sharpness isn't a defining factor in picking lenses etc. The 70-200mm f2.8 GM I had didn't wow me like the 24-70mm or 85mm GM's.
It was no sharper than my f4 version.

i always found the f4 to be very very sharp. i guess part of the extra cost $$ of the g master is that extra stop

Last edited:
135mm, Snazzy.

I asked about the 50mm macro over on DPR and got one reply from someone with an A7RII so can't be certain it'll perform the same. Anyway, he's reporting hunting but seems happy enough and doesn't seem to have had the inaccuracy and inconsistency issues I had.

I would like to try another but I don't want to order on line again and have to return it if it's just the same. I do wish there was a local dealer but even camera shops in York or Newcastle might not have one. Might get to an actual shop in the summer.

I do like to think that the one I had was duff. I don't like to think that's how they all are.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of grabbing an A7R as they are at such a good price at present as my first foray into digital FF (as opposed to film) anything I should know about them? and most importantly is how well do they work with the iPad app for remote viewing/control? can I control all the main aspects such as ISO, shutter speed, aperture, mode, exp comp etc via the app?
I have to do things this way as my home studio space is in the lounge but I'm stuck in the bedroom next door to it 24/7, will be mainly shooting portraits of people/animals.

At present I've been using an EM5II connected via usb & the Olympus capture software on my MBP and controlled positioning via a powered tripod head with long remote extension.

I'm thinking of grabbing an A7R as they are at such a good price at present as my first foray into digital FF (as opposed to film) anything I should know about them? and most importantly is how well do they work with the iPad app for remote viewing/control? can I control all the main aspects such as ISO, shutter speed, aperture, mode, exp comp etc via the app?
I have to do things this way as my home studio space is in the lounge but I'm stuck in the bedroom next door to it 24/7, will be mainly shooting portraits of people/animals.

At present I've been using an EM5II connected via usb & the Olympus capture software on my MBP and controlled positioning via a powered tripod head with long remote extension.

What do you consider a good price, I am still surprised how well the Sony cameras have held there price.

6 months ago A7r was selling on here for £650.
Now seem around £999 new.

I'd suggest trying before buying. You really can't prepare yourself for the noise the a7r shutter makes. I don't know what Sony were thinking. You have to hear it to believe it. I'd take an A7 over an a7r all day day long.

6 months ago A7r was selling on here for £650.
Now seem around £999 new.

I'd suggest trying before buying. You really can't prepare yourself for the noise the a7r shutter makes. I don't know what Sony were thinking. You have to hear it to believe it. I'd take an A7 over an a7r all day day long.

Really? Did you ever use something like a Canon 20D? Those things made a noise like an anvil being thrown into a tin bath.

To be honest I don't think shutter noise will be an issue for me, not for mainly studio type work and I've had some real "slammers" in my time, from SLR days to the early DSLR's. I can remember an old Nikon D100 that literally made me jump the first time I pressed the shutter!

More of a concern is shutter shock, as I will be mainly using it with flash for studio type portraits, but it will be mounted on a very solid tripod/head combo and using the 50mm + 24-70 F4 so hopefully it won't be an issue

Nope. The a7r is the loudest I've used.

Try a Canon APS-C DSLR from a few years ago.

You are a bunch of blouses... and may well think differently to me and I suppose it depends what you use your cameras for but there's always the option of selling up and buying something else which might be a great idea considering the amount of bitchin we see in this thread. Just sayin. :D

Perhaps it's not so bad for me but for outdoor shooting the sound of any camera has never been an issue for me nor has it been an issue at social or band type events. My A7 may be a bit more muted than an R, dunno. For stuff like churches and museums and galleries and the like then I can see it being a problem but if it is as many would say, buy a Fuji.

To be honest I don't think shutter noise will be an issue for me, not for mainly studio type work and I've had some real "slammers" in my time, from SLR days to the early DSLR's. I can remember an old Nikon D100 that literally made me jump the first time I pressed the shutter!

More of a concern is shutter shock, as I will be mainly using it with flash for studio type portraits, but it will be mounted on a very solid tripod/head combo and using the 50mm + 24-70 F4 so hopefully it won't be an issue

Dunno about the latest MK2 cameras but there were grumblings about shutter shock with the original A7r. I avoided the issue by buying the standard A7 which has EFCS which I'm pretty sure the R didn't/doesn't have. I think it cures the problem on the A7.

Maybe you could Google it and see what the wider world is saying about SS on MK2's?

Try a Canon APS-C DSLR from a few years ago.

You are a bunch of blouses... and may well think differently to me and I suppose it depends what you use your cameras for but there's always the option of selling up and buying something else which might be a great idea considering the amount of bitchin we see in this thread. Just sayin. :D

Perhaps it's not so bad for me but for outdoor shooting the sound of any camera has never been an issue for me nor has it been an issue at social or band type events. My A7 may be a bit more muted than an R, dunno. For stuff like churches and museums and galleries and the like then I can see it being a problem but if it is as many would say, buy a Fuji.

Who is bitching? I'd say try using one before commenting.

Guys just a quick one, went on my first Virgin studio shoot and took everything with me, was pretty disappointed that the Godox remote transmitter wouldn't fit the sony, well it did but didn't slide right on, it kinda worked if you held it.... Am i right in thinking that you need a specific Sony adaptor ?

I ended up using the D500 for the day which worked fine, felt a bit miffed because even the Fuji XT2 that was there took the transmitter fine...

or wasn't i shoving it hard enough.....

Guys just a quick one, went on my first Virgin studio shoot and took everything with me, was pretty disappointed that the Godox remote transmitter wouldn't fit the sony, well it did but didn't slide right on, it kinda worked if you held it.... Am i right in thinking that you need a specific Sony adaptor ?

I ended up using the D500 for the day which worked fine, felt a bit miffed because even the Fuji XT2 that was there took the transmitter fine...

The x1ts will work. There are canon and Nikon versions x1tc & x1tn

thanks Addick, i thought as much, so i need a Sony specific one then, i see there only £35 quid so no real mega bucks, but just annoyed me LOL... WTF they just cant be the same, Fuji Managed it :)

The fuji only works on manual flash with the triggers, anything else and you need the canon/nikon/ sony specific version.
Oh, and there isn't a fuji specific one available yet.
The godox camera specific triggers will not fire the fuji godox flashes in HSS. I have a nikon trigger and a sony trigger (X series) and three different godox flashes and they all work nicely together.

Yeah I think Dave today most of the guys used Nikon and canon and the same unit, which also worked on the Fuji... I,ll make sure I buy 1

Virgin studio visit so I'm learning

While I've got you all, which grip you all using, can anybody link them, the Sonys is expensive so is it worth it over the Miele ones ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Again, I would echo the above advice and a buy a used one first. The shutter shock drove me mad, but then I was shooting a lot in the 1/60th - 1/180th second range handheld, where it is quite prevalant. The shutter noise is really quite obnoxious, not so much in a volume way (it IS loud though), more the type of sound which is nasty! However, the sensor is fabulous and will probably serve you well in the studio :)

Which transmitter was that please? I run an AD180 + 2 x 850's using an FT-16s transmitter, hoping thats going to be ok with mine when it gets here.

Again, I would echo the above advice and a buy a used one first. The shutter shock drove me mad, but then I was shooting a lot in the 1/60th - 1/180th second range handheld, where it is quite prevalant. The shutter noise is really quite obnoxious, not so much in a volume way (it IS loud though), more the type of sound which is nasty! However, the sensor is fabulous and will probably serve you well in the studio :)

Thanks G and everyone else. I can honestly say I don't hand hold below 1/200th as my hands can be a little shaky anyway these days, I'd rather push the ISO than drop the shutter speed,, but this is purely for using in the home studio on a tripod, anyways if I buy new I have 14 days to return it if I find SS to be a problem for me.
Just found a deal on WEX with the 50mm F1.8 bundled so grabbed one, yes I know the 50mm is slow and noisy but I'm used to slow coming from an X-Pro1 and like it that way, anyways it will do to start with and if all works out I'll try and get something better.

This is what I need I think...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-X1T-...TF8&qid=1488799188&sr=8-3&keywords=Godox+sony

I'm pretty sure they all used a nikon based unit yesterday, but I can find out for you, that was switching between canon/Nikon and Fuji, did work on sony if you kept it pushed up....

Anyway I've just ordered the 24-70 GM from panamoz yesterday at 9pm just got tracking info it's on route fedX 48hr.

Just shot my offices' portraits with a Godox X1ts, TT685s, Octobox and a reflector - really pleased with the results, except, and it might be I've done something wrong - using the Smart Remote app, shots save as .jpg, not RAW?

Durbs do you not have the raw on the card?

Does it not use jpeg for size purposes or can it also TX the massive raw file too...begood to know

Who is bitching? I'd say try using one before commenting.

Yes, saw that and it's the MK1 I was talking about re shutter shock.

If you are looking at the Mk1 r and are concerned about SS Google it and you may see some possible solutions. I don't know how practical they'd be for you and although I can't remember all I read as I was only half interested I think some people on forums claimed adding weight to their cameras overcame the issue... but his may not be practical for you. And it might not work.

Last edited:
Durbs do you not have the raw on the card?

Does it not use jpeg for size purposes or can it also TX the massive raw file too...begood to know

Nope... It transfers a 2mb file on the phone for review, but Fine JPG on camera, even though 'M' mode is set to RAW when not using the phone. On further digging, the smart remote actually has a separate menu (in the app) which had this setting - just didn't think to check that using the remote would affect the camera settings...

Aside from this, and actually they required so little PP that RAW wasn't really required. the app was actually very good. It does some "clever" stuff, such as normally i have BBF, but this is disabled using the app (which is essential but could've been overlooked). Occasional delay on the shutter button, but generally worked a charm. Being able to show "clients" SOOC shots straight away was great for the vain :)

24-70 GM has landed in germany, due for delivery tomorrow before noon.

Dunno how much it must cost panomoz, but from a 9PM sunday order from the bottom end of China thats flipping good, some UK companies cant even do it that fast LOL

Last edited:
There's a piece over at the MFT rumour site about the declining sales of cameras and lenses that might be of interest...

http://www.43rumors.com/infographic-shows-the-depressive-state-of-the-camera-industry/#disqus_thread

It's all a bit shocking really but understandable with the rise of cameras with phones:D It makes me wonder what the state of the industry will be in years to come, will some new tech boost sales or will they continue downwards? I suppose cameras as we know and love them will exist but maybe be more high end to put some clear water between them and smartphones.

In my own little circle of friends and family I'm the only one who bothers to change lenses although some others do have interchangeable lens cameras but use them just with the kit lens. Looking at the kids some are showing an interest in photography but are doing it with hand me down kit so no new sales there at least for now.

Looks like the A9 may be coming soon, not that I'll be buying one :D

Last edited:
Sony 100mm STF at Steve Huff's site...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/03/07/the-sony-100mm-f2-8-stf-gm-fe-lens-in-hand-first-look/

The technical stuff is interesting...

"An aperture range of f/2.8 to f/20 is available, however the implementation of the apodization filter renders this range as T5.6 to T22."

And more...

"So after shooting this lens for only a day and a half I have found no way to access any kind of f/2.8 aperture. In fact, for light gathering it kind of shoots like a f/5.6 lens, and my guess is that since this lens has a apodization filter which generally acts as sort of a ND filter that it is indeed an f/2.8 lens but is behaving like an f/5.6 for light gathering (Due to the filter in the lens) yet giving us the DOF of an f/2.8. Correct me if I am wrong, as I have never tested a lens like this in my life. So it all makes sense when looking at it like this. The Apodization filter in this lens cuts the light gathering but delivers amazingly smooth bokeh.

I can say that so far just from my everyday shots that the Bokeh is indeed smooth as silk, and I have seen no issues with CA or flaws within the image, anywhere. It’s sharp as can be, reminding me of the sharpness of good APO lenses and the Bokeh is incredible. Just know that in low light the lens will be a non starter unless you crank that ISO up high, and the good news is that Sony cameras can do very high ISO very well. Even so, if you want light gathering this will not be the lens for you. If you want the best IQ and Bokeh and do not need low light abilities, this lens is looking like a monster for IQ."

That's nice :D

Just on his comments about cranking up the ISO. Thinking back in the days when I used to shoot gigs with 35mm film the performance we get these days from even quite humble kit is just science fiction but even so I can see this lens prompting some wailing and gnashing of teeth over at dpreview unless people think about what this lens would be best used for.

Last edited:
Sony 100mm STF at Steve Huff's site...

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/03/07/the-sony-100mm-f2-8-stf-gm-fe-lens-in-hand-first-look/

The technical stuff is interesting...

"An aperture range of f/2.8 to f/20 is available, however the implementation of the apodization filter renders this range as T5.6 to T22."

And more...

STF lens could be quite interesting.
Many people will say that there is not much difference, but I like it.

Here is another example with mine Laowa 105mm STF F/2 lens (E-mount) wide open
Ace Cafe London
Yesterday (7th of March 2017)
Sony A7R II:

S1000RR with Laowa 105mm STF F/2 lens by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Back