The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Do you really shoot enough fast action sports to need to drop £7000 on the body/100-400 though?
not much but mainly for studio work. the buffer rate is shocking im not joking on my a7r2.

I have no need for this atm besides gear lust. i could get it and sell the a7r2 but you know what, the a9r will be out end of the year i reckon with similar spec.

only thing im shocked at is why they diddnt include xhd sony card format?

Sony say the AF is 25% faster then the A7RII.
I was expecting more.
I guess it's as expected, was rumoured for a long time.

20fps. Impressive. But who needs it? Genuine question.

Am on the train, what's the sensor like?

20fps. Impressive. But who needs it? Genuine question.

Am on the train, what's the sensor like?

I am finding the 11 fps on the XT-2 plenty enough...... I don't have time to chimp thru every single shot these days...... I feel that the more fps/buffer a camera has the more you want to become trigger happy..... a utter nightmare when you get home and have go through them all and narrow them down.
The sensor is another Sony first and no doubt will push the DR/ISO abilities even further, its a 24mp stacked RS sensor with the new LSI :D
I would like lying if I didn't say that Sony are really pushing what is technically possible but this new camera is for real professionals who are tons of money to justify the outlay....... roll on Fuji XT Pro body :D

It's really set the bar for the Fuji top of the line body!
It has but to be fair they are probably in totally different price brackets, one is FF and the other APS-C.
I am sure Fuji will release a worth Pro APS-C body but I very much doubt it will top the Sony A9. :D

I would love one as a back up for its smaller size body, but buying one as my main camera on a Canon body still require an adaptor which, no matter how you spin it, is going to be slower than native body to lens.

Also, with that much processing, 20fps, does it overheat?

The spec is certainly up to par, is the body weather resistance?

How long does the battery lasts?

Those are the kind of practical questions a pro needs to know.

It does mean A7R2 will be cheaper at least.

Last edited:
I would love one as a back up for its smaller size body, but buying one as my main camera on a Canon body still require an adaptor which, no matter how you spin it, is going to be slower than native body to lens.

That's a really good question re the battery life.

Current one does around 300-450 shots. Wouldn't take too long to churn through that if you accidentally press the shutter button for too long.

Looks like a really impressive camera on paper and looks fairly priced for its target market.

I'm guessing the joystick, touch screen, dual slots should filter down to the a7 series.

That's a really good question re the battery life.

Current one does around 300-450 shots. Wouldn't take too long to churn through that if you accidentally press the shutter button for too long.

Looks like a really impressive camera on paper and looks fairly priced for its target market.

I'm guessing the joystick, touch screen, dual slots should filter down to the a7 series.

The presentation suggested that the battery lasts 2.2x longer than current batteries in the A7 although I still don't really see battery life as a major problem when they're so small and easy to carry a few.

The presentation suggested that the battery lasts 2.2x longer than current batteries in the A7 although I still don't really see battery life as a major problem when they're so small and easy to carry a few.

A decent battery grip would go down well too.

I don't think that this camera will mean the end for DSLRs at all. Those photographers sponsored by Sony will clearly be using them and the online togs like Jason Lanier etc will probably be posting blogs about how it's a game changer but the large majority of togs who earn their living shooting won't change unless there's a financial benefit in doing it. Changing systems for someone that shoots 40 weddings a year or travels the country shooting sports is a massive commitment of lenses/accessories/support etc so the first 'pro' line body from Sony won't make everyone else jump ship from CaNikon.

Current a7 series mk2 bodies are weather resistant

I don't think that this camera will mean the end for DSLRs at all. Those photographers sponsored by Sony will clearly be using them and the online togs like Jason Lanier etc will probably be posting blogs about how it's a game changer but the large majority of togs who earn their living shooting won't change unless there's a financial benefit in doing it. Changing systems for someone that shoots 40 weddings a year or travels the country shooting sports is a massive commitment of lenses/accessories/support etc so the first 'pro' line body from Sony won't make everyone else jump ship from CaNikon.
Sony just need to release 400mm/600mm primes and a good pro service and they are on par with canon

For a professional camera, after the spec, the next thing is trust.

We know that Canon and Nikon can take abuse, it will be a while before if we know this Sony does. I mean remember those Digital Rev videos where they literally put Canon/Nikon bodies through fire and ice, literally in flames and submerge in water and freezes in a block of ice, and then still works. It's a bit extreme I know but it's just the shows how durable a Canon/Nikon bodies are.

Interesting glimpse of the future. Silent shooting with near global shutter will be a game changer and will initiate a switch of systems eventually for pros in many industries.

Maybe not with the a9, but after a few illiterations and with CaNikon not really moving forward it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

So is anyone here tempted by the A9?

To me it doesn't look the whole package. A A6300 type release.

My reasons are the single fast card slot, kind of expected 4k at 60fps at minimum, and the lack of weather sealing. Is this just me?

My reasons are the single fast card slot, kind of expected 4k at 60fps at minimum, and the lack of weather sealing. Is this just me?

I kind of agree, they might be holding back for the A9R and A9S :D

I'm not in the market for an A9 but I'm not entirely sure why a single ultra-fast card slot isn't enough? I'd see me writing the primary copy (jpg if shooting sports, Raw if portrait/landscape) to the fastest card then the backup copy to the other card. There's no real advantage to the added cost of two ultra-fast slots compared to the additional cost for it.

Video isn't really something I personally need a lot of but I guess 6k at 'standard' is good enough? I agree that it's strange for a high end body to not have weather sealing so I'm assuming it's just not been included on the spec sheets as an error.

I'm not in the market for an A9 but I'm not entirely sure why a single ultra-fast card slot isn't enough? I'd see me writing the primary copy (jpg if shooting sports, Raw if portrait/landscape) to the fastest card then the backup copy to the other card. There's no real advantage to the added cost of two ultra-fast slots compared to the additional cost for it.

Video isn't really something I personally need a lot of but I guess 6k at 'standard' is good enough? I agree that it's strange for a high end body to not have weather sealing so I'm assuming it's just not been included on the spec sheets as an error.

Personally I want my back up to be identical to the other card. I don't want a gimped 2nd slot. It's a £4k camera, I don't want anything gimped at that price point.

I'd say the same criticism with the 5D4, stupid slower USH-I slot.

Good points. Didn't see 6k as standard? thought it was 4k 30 fps? Must have missed that.
Also guess you are right on the weather sealing thing. Thinking about it, there's no way they would aim at sports shooters (the promo's) without this.

Personally I want my back up to be identical to the other card. I don't want a gimped 2nd slot. It's a £4k camera, I don't want anything gimped at that price point.

I'd say the same criticism with the 5D4, stupid slower USH-I slot.

My reasoning is that it's (possibly) primarily aimed at sports shooters with its high fps and buffer. A lot of those shooters are going to be shooting jpg primarily and sending it off direct to an editor/base via FTP so the secondary backup is less of a concern.

My reasoning is that it's (possibly) primarily aimed at sports shooters with its high fps and buffer. A lot of those shooters are going to be shooting jpg primarily and sending it off direct to an editor/base via FTP so the secondary backup is less of a concern.

Agree, looks like aimed at sports guys. I can;t see sports shooters choosing this over Canicon without weather sealing though?

I guess it depends on whether it does have weather sealing. If it does, I think with the silent shooting it could be a big hit. If it doesn't it would be a liability and hardly a pro choice.

it would be a pretty big balls up if its not weather sealed. and I'm really unsure why its not been mentioned on the spec list that it is....which would worry me a little if i were in the market for one.

Back