The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It's strange that Leica don't seem to get quite this amount of flak for similarly priced, but less competent bodies.
In fact it seems to be taken as standard that they cost silly money.

By comparison Sony's are a bargain with all the features you get...

Both the Batis, and more-so Loxia, range of lenses are pretty steep for what they offer. Beyond a certain point, sharpness is pretty redundant unless you pixel peep or print billboards - so it's certainly Zeiss premium there.
IMHO it seems Sony are still seen as a hobby-ist toy for people with deep pockets - is it brand snobbery of a NKOTB charging so much?
Not sure but Sony is doing the right things going forwards....can't wait until the filter down the stacked sensor down to their A6xxx line... then 6 months later competitors can buy that sensor too.
Its good news for everybody, not just Sony.
Roll on Fuji Pro XT monster with a gazillion fps and 1000 AF focus modes :D lol

It's strange that Leica don't seem to get quite this amount of flak for similarly priced, but less competent bodies.
In fact it seems to be taken as standard that they cost silly money.

By comparison Sony's are a bargain with all the features you get...

Both the Batis, and more-so Loxia, range of lenses are pretty steep for what they offer. Beyond a certain point, sharpness is pretty redundant unless you pixel peep or print billboards - so it's certainly Zeiss premium there.
IMHO it seems Sony are still seen as a hobby-ist toy for people with deep pockets - is it brand snobbery of a NKOTB charging so much?

I've been as equally scathing towards the relative 'value' of modern Leica kit. I have probably upset the emperors new clothes' attitude of those who believe anything by Leica must be better than anything else because it's the most expensive.

Just to clarify though, the only digital kit I use is my A6000 which is an excellent APS-C body with a range of lenses (native and legacy) that fit my needs although that was also (arguably) overpriced when it was first released)

If you feel that Sony kit is seen as the hobbyist with deep pockets' choice, I guess that's because of the arguments in this thread showing that they appear to want to target the pro market but don't quite have the full package yet to do that. As a result, you're naturally left with their largest market being those hobbyists with deep pockets. That's probably where my issue comes from, although I realise it's irrational, in that someone shooting for pleasure would probably be able to deliver results with any kit off any manufacturers' shelf.

Last edited:
Yeah - I think lens choice (which is improving) probably influences pro's looking at the system, possibly more influential though is weather sealing? Given it's not really a studio camera - landscape, street, wildlife etc pro's are going to want something that can get wet.

"For pleasure" is such a broad church. Some people get pleasure just from using the latest tech. Personally I left my DSLR for the A7R2 due to the smaller size, meaning I would take it out more often as I was recently encumber by a child and all the equipment they come with. Fortunately I have a friend who works for Sony so got a hefty discount (60% I think it was) off new, which put it cheaper than the Fuji, and more versatile than the X100 series I was also looking at. Plus I had a hankering to have a full frame camera having never had one before.

Being honest, I've possibly slightly shot myself in the foot - as the lens prices are high enough that I can't justify adding more native lenses to it, even with the discount...
Fortunately, I really enjoy using legacy glass, though I can see some people think it's daft using legacy lenses on such a modern camera.

I suppose I may just have been very very lucky for decades but I've never had any camera gear suffer from the elements. I've taken all of my gear out in all weather and have so far and touch wood got away with only taking common sense precautions.

I don't think it's daft to use legacy lenses, I enjoy using them and I've taken some of my favourite pictures with them.

I think the popularity of the manual focus only Loxia ranger shows that many people value the ability to have manual focus only and while those lenses are much dearer than most of the legacy glass they do come with modern coatings and better electronic integration with the camera.

I have to admit that seeing what Sony are trying to do does make it more likely that I'll dip my toes into the A series again, I was once a bit scared of committing to a system which on the face of it looked like it might not catch on but it certainly seems to be going from strength to strength now.

... though I can see some people think it's daft using legacy lenses on such a modern camera.
The more modern the camera, the better it deals with legacy lenses (within reason) ... EVFs advance and internal stabilisation advances, both real bonuses that are improving with each generation.

Just noticed the new AF joystick on the A9 like you get on a Fuji or Canon, personally that's a game changer for me, I struggle without a dedicated AF point control on my K1 as its a little fiddly having to remember and press a button before using the direction buttons, always found the AF point movement a pain on the A7ii, hopefully we might see an A7iii with a 30mp sensor, dual SD and a Joystick!!

Just noticed the new AF joystick on the A9 like you get on a Fuji or Canon, personally that's a game changer for me, I struggle without a dedicated AF point control on my K1 as its a little fiddly having to remember and press a button before using the direction buttons, always found the AF point movement a pain on the A7ii, hopefully we might see an A7iii with a 30mp sensor, dual SD and a Joystick!!

Yeah I think the a73 will solve a lot of handling issues for people

Yeah I think the a73 will solve a lot of handling issues for people

Will be keeping an eye out, quite keen to try and downsize again as the thought of carrying my full DSLR kit on holiday is already hurting my back!
Won't be a "new" A7 before then but I'm a little loathed to leave full-frame again so mirrorlessly Sony is my only option.

Will be keeping an eye out, quite keen to try and downsize again as the thought of carrying my full DSLR kit on holiday is already hurting my back!
Won't be a "new" A7 before then but I'm a little loathed to leave full-frame again so mirrorlessly Sony is my only option.

i knew you'd be back :pint:

In Thailand I carried my A7 with 35mm f2.8 and a Panny 1" compact thingy with a 25-250mm zoom together with various bits and bobs and a bottle of water in a small man bag thing with no problems despite thinking I'd faint any minute due to the heat and humidity. Even an A7 with 2 or three compact primes feels like no weight at all :D

I move the focus point for many of my shots and maybe even for the vast majority and the current way of doing it doesn't bother me but if the next camera I get has a joystick I'll be happy to use it :D

Last edited:
I am also keeping my beedy eye on Sony's developments lol :D
I wonder how far off an entry level A7 with the new features such as joystick and tech is? 2, 3... 5 years... Maybe sooner rather than later?

i knew you'd be back :pint:

Haha, I love using my K1 and the IQ is brilliant, especially high iso but its becoming a bit of pain being forced to buy more expensive Pentax branded glass as there isn't cheaper 3rd party options or a really wide market of newer used kit.

I had long considered that if I wanted mixed DSLR and CSC system that I "could" have a Canon (dirty word for me as I've never used one!) with a couple of zooms and an A7ii with some native primes to give me that mix of portability and performance, I used a couple of Canon Zooms when I had an A7ii before and they were plenty fine AF wise for me with the Metabones adapter and there are times that I value the OVF and overall build/performance of a traditional DSLR.

I am also keeping my beedy eye on Sony's developments lol :D

I'mm really, really, really tempted to say "sod it" and just go back to Fuji, when I look at all of the shots I took last year with my X-Pro 2 and then XT-2 I'm reminded just how much I enjoyed using those cameras and shooting with them, I just don't know if I can go back to the X-Trans issues I was having with certain types of shot when its not something I need to deal with on any other camera option that's available. In saying that a used X-Pro 2, 16 and 56 would be a nice addition to my bag!

In Thailand I carried my A7 with 35mm f2.8 and a Panny 1" compact thingy with a 25-250mm zoom together with various bits and bobs and a bottle of water in a small man bag thing with no problems despite thinking I'd faint any minute due to the heat and humidity. Even an A7 with 2 or three compact primes feels like no weight at all :D

I move the focus point for many of my shots and maybe even for the vast majority and the current way of doing it doesn't bother me but if the next camera I get has a joystick I'll be happy to use it :D

Fuji ruined me with the AF joystick! - I know that Canon had tended to have it before and the Nikon system works fine even though its not really a dedicated button.

Haha, I love using my K1 and the IQ is brilliant, especially high iso but its becoming a bit of pain being forced to buy more expensive Pentax branded glass as there isn't cheaper 3rd party options or a really wide market of newer used kit.

I had long considered that if I wanted mixed DSLR and CSC system that I "could" have a Canon (dirty word for me as I've never used one!) with a couple of zooms and an A7ii with some native primes to give me that mix of portability and performance, I used a couple of Canon Zooms when I had an A7ii before and they were plenty fine AF wise for me with the Metabones adapter and there are times that I value the OVF and overall build/performance of a traditional DSLR.

I'mm really, really, really tempted to say "sod it" and just go back to Fuji, when I look at all of the shots I took last year with my X-Pro 2 and then XT-2 I'm reminded just how much I enjoyed using those cameras and shooting with them, I just don't know if I can go back to the X-Trans issues I was having with certain types of shot when its not something I need to deal with on any other camera option that's available. In saying that a used X-Pro 2, 16 and 56 would be a nice addition to my bag!

Maybe tempted to part with my a7ii if you are looking to dive back in FULL FRAME mirrorless ;)

Last edited:
How's your GAS?
Its at bay presently with no gadget purchases since the beginning of Jan... but I do have a list..... :D lol

Apple MacBook Pro 2017
Apple iPhone 8/X
DJI Mavic Pro
Fuji XT Pro Body
Fuji 8-16mm f2.8
Fuji 80mm f2.8 Macro (1:1)
Fuji 100-400mm f4.5-5.6
Nissin i60A's x2 (HSS)
Nissin Air 1 Commander (HSS)

Its at bay presently with no gadget purchases since the beginning of Jan... but I do have a list..... :D lol

Apple MacBook Pro 2017
Apple iPhone 8/X
DJI Mavic Pro
Fuji XT Pro Body
Fuji 8-16mm f2.8
Fuji 80mm f2.8 Macro (1:1)
Fuji 100-400mm f4.5-5.6
Nissin i60A's x2 (HSS)
Nissin Air 1 Commander (HSS)

you missed off two A9's and all that G Master glass you flogged :)

Maybe tempted to part with my a7ii if you are looking to dive back in FULL FRAME mirrorless ;)

I'll think about it!, almost tempted to just pickup a used XP2 for a while and see how I get on again, would love to see what the XT Pro is going to look like.... nice 30mp sensor would be awesome!!!!! Already fairly happy with the hi-iso on the XP/XT2 its just the X-Trans issue that annoys me with landscapes!

I'm getting lovely photos out of the Fuji's, don't feel the need or urge to move back to Sony yet ;) lol :D

I think thats whats making my thoughts more difficult, I look back and I can't deny that I took some great looking shots with the XT2/XP2, probably some of my favourites actually.

I'll think about it!, almost tempted to just pickup a used XP2 for a while and see how I get on again, would love to see what the XT Pro is going to look like.... nice 30mp sensor would be awesome!!!!! Already fairly happy with the hi-iso on the XP/XT2 its just the X-Trans issue that annoys me with landscapes!

I think thats whats making my thoughts more difficult, I look back and I can't deny that I took some great looking shots with the XT2/XP2, probably some of my favourites actually.
Fujifilm film simulations are great..... far less time spend processing RAW files etc :D

I rarely, use the flexible spot when on the move. A joystick is nice, but not a dealbreaker. Back button focus & the shutter button to shoot is normally capable enough for most situations.

Fujifilm film simulations are great..... far less time spend processing RAW files etc :D

This is true!.... after trying the GFX50s and 32-64 at the weekend I have given some thought to selling everything and just having that body/lens combo.... the combination of Fuji film sims and the XT2 controls/menu but with a 50mp MF sensor is just incredible!

This is true!.... after trying the GFX50s and 32-64 at the weekend I have given some thought to selling everything and just having that body/lens combo.... the combination of Fuji film sims and the XT2 controls/menu but with a 50mp MF sensor is just incredible!
That is a great setup for landscape.

There were rumours the A9 would also feature a better menu - has anyone seen this to see if it's true, and - if so - reckon it would trickle down the the A7's?

We haven't had a firmware update for a while now...

There were rumours the A9 would also feature a better menu - has anyone seen this to see if it's true, and - if so - reckon it would trickle down the the A7's?

We haven't had a firmware update for a while now...

The a6500 had the improved menu. Id be amazed if Sony offered any sort of update via firmware considering the lack of any real updates to date.

The a6500 had the improved menu. Id be amazed if Sony offered any sort of update via firmware considering the lack of any real updates to date.
Yeah Sony don't do big firmware updates, they just release a new model.
This is what bugs me, when your spending a cool £3000-4500 on a body, bigger and better updates would be more welcomed. :D

Back