The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Or a nikon thread? Hehe
I can take the sniping and pernickety complaining from other marque fanboys but it's the movement at the corner of my peripheral vision and the sound of dragging chains that get to me.
:D

I ended up with a bit of a red face and neck yesterday as it was sunny but still a bit chilly...

Today's destination is Whitby.

Last edited:
The rumor site says that the 16-35mm GM will be along soon and also a 135mm :D

The 16-35mm will be too much for my short arms and deep pockets and I have a 9-18mm for MFT so I'll pass and I have a manual film era 135mm f2.8 for occasional use so I'll pass on that too. Both should be popular though despite the obvious quality worries, them being Sony and all.

Just catching up on all the last weeks posts!
Great to see Sony looking to get a better lens line up out!
I also finally did take the plunge on a 28mm F2, with a UWA (21mm) and it has so far been so good, but off out tomorrow to try it to its full potential!

All of the manufacturers products have qc issues. Doesnt make me a fanboy for saying it, my heads not buried in the sand though.

Just catching up on all the last weeks posts!
Great to see Sony looking to get a better lens line up out!
I also finally did take the plunge on a 28mm F2, with a UWA (21mm) and it has so far been so good, but off out tomorrow to try it to its full potential!

Great stuff and pictures required! :D

I quite fancied that setup when it was announced but in truth I prefer 35/50mm and mostly stick to my 35mm f2.8 or 50mm f1.2.

All of the manufacturers products have qc issues. Doesnt make me a fanboy for saying it, my heads not buried in the sand though.
I don't post on the fuji or nikon thread because I don't have an interest in those. I assume you have lots of interest in Sony gear, else you would not be here.

I don't post on the fuji or nikon thread because I don't have an interest in those. I assume you have lots of interest in Sony gear, else you would not be here.

I have an interest in all the brands and actually buy all brands, do you have a problem with that?

When was that??

As far as I know you been dipping between nikon fuji and Sony over the past 5 years.

You also stuck with the d750 for a few years now?

A while back, i got 7ds at launch. Like i said, all the brands not just those you mentioned, including Samsung nx1. You shouldnt assume ;)

Last edited:
Ah OK cool. Which camera you eyeing on now? Have dipped into the medium format space yet?
How about 1" :D

I've been impressed with my 1" compact, deffo a big step up from the smaller sensored compacts. You can even pixel peep without seeing a horrible smudgy mess :D

It's the way to go Twist :D

Ah OK cool. Which camera you eyeing on now? Have dipped into the medium format space yet?

Medium formats had to many restrictions in the past. Ill stick to ff, does what I need.

Maybe an a6500 for video or a7rii but tbh im not that bothered as my d700 does everything well and im saving a lot of cash.

The best compact mmmm Sony R100 series as it's really pocketable.
The Fuji X100 is great too if your ok with fixed focal lengths.

How about 1" :D

I've been impressed with my 1" compact, deffo a big step up from the smaller sensored compacts. You can even pixel peep without seeing a horrible smudgy mess :D

It's the way to go Twist :D

1" has actually impressed me. So tiny with lots of FL.

The best compact mmmm Sony R100 series as it's really pocketable.
The Fuji X100 is great too if your ok with fixed focal lengths.
I went for a Panasonic with a 25-250mm equivalent zoom, I couldn't tell you the model number though but it cost a bit. I could have got an A6000.

Have you guys spotted that Sigma 24mm f2.8 in Canon FD fit in the for sale section? £45 seems a bargain. I know they're not Sigma or used but unused 24mm FD's are £149 at Ffordes.

I am looking for a full frame lens that will perform well in low light, in the lower price range. I want something around the 18mm give or take up to 35mm. The lower the better, but not fish eye. Thanks for any help.

I am looking for a full frame lens that will perform well in low light, in the lower price range. I want something around the 18mm give or take up to 35mm. The lower the better, but not fish eye. Thanks for any help.
Sony FE 16-35mm f4? :D

If you're happy with MF, and at super-wide focus is arguably less critical, lots of legacy primes which are fast and wide. Lots of 28mm f/2.8 lenses available for <£40 which still perform well.

If you're happy with MF, and at super-wide focus is arguably less critical, lots of legacy primes which are fast and wide. Lots of 28mm f/2.8 lenses available for <£40 which still perform well.

Yup.

One thing that's surprised me is how well these old lenses do especially when the picture is viewed at the final image size. 18mm is a problem for old lenses as anything wider than about 24mm tends to be rare and expensive so at the very wide end newer used lenses may well actually be cheaper.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of up to £300-00. Years ago with a Nikon & Canon I had the 'Nifty Fifty' I think & it was very sharp, I seem to remember it was less than £100-00. However I would go up to £300-00. But I really want f/2 or less & around 18 mm. I have read of a Sigma 35mm, is that sharp? If all else fails I will go manual old lens as mentioned here.

What camera are you using?

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of up to £300-00. Years ago with a Nikon & Canon I had the 'Nifty Fifty' I think & it was very sharp, I seem to remember it was less than £100-00. However I would go up to £300-00. But I really want f/2 or less & around 18 mm. I have read of a Sigma 35mm, is that sharp? If all else fails I will go manual old lens as mentioned here.

Tbh youre going to struggle... 28 f2 is probs your only option

The sigma is not e or fe mount. Youd need an adapter add cost, veeeerrrryyyy sllllloooowwww af or mf and its more than 300. The other sigmas 19 and 30 are apsc you need to be able to distinguish the difference before throwing your cash away.

Last edited:
Tbh youre going to struggle... 28 f2 is probs your only option

The sigma is not e or fe mount. Youd need an adapter add cost, veeeerrrryyyy sllllloooowwww af or mf and its more than 300. The other sigmas 19 and 30 are apsc you need to be able to distinguish the difference before throwing your cash away.
Thanks. My equipment is a Sony A7 with kit lens & a Sony A6300 with kit lens. I also have the Sony 70-400. I also have the LA-EA4 adapter. The thing I am missing most is a low light lens per previous mentioned specification. If I have to spend more I will, but don't want to go too high this year. the 28 f2 looks interesting. What else at a higher price is there?

Thanks. My equipment is a Sony A7 with kit lens & a Sony A6300 with kit lens. I also have the Sony 70-400. I also have the LA-EA4 adapter. The thing I am missing most is a low light lens per previous mentioned specification. If I have to spend more I will, but don't want to go too high this year. the 28 f2 looks interesting. What else at a higher price is there?

Zeiss 35 2.8. You need to decide, will you buy a full frame lens to cover both formats or will you buy apsc to cover crop mode on the a7... Which is pretty pointless.

Lets simplify things.... E mount is A6300, FE is A7. E wont cover FE, FE WILL cover E. But learn about crop factors if you dont already know.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Sony/Sony-E-Mount-Lenses

Last edited:
My main objective is a Low light Full Frame lens for the A7, as per original question. If I can sometimes use it on the A3600 then fine, if not then so be it.

Back