The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Why does it have to be full frame to be a hybrid, don't be daft. The 1dx2 is perhaps the best hybrid around for pure performance.
Full frame offers better iq for obvious reasons. The 1dx2 is massive though and doesn't it crop the 4k footage?

View: https://youtu.be/xxGl9Tl6Sao
Only had this happen to me once last Fri when I was in the park with my camera exposed in direct sun light but yesterday I was out shooting for 4/5 hours and didn't see it come on.
Jon was that just with normal shooting or were you doing Video, id hope it was video but not really up to speed on it yet. i see the banding thing and stuff.

Jon was that just with normal shooting or were you doing Video, id hope it was video but not really up to speed on it yet. i see the banding thing and stuff.
He did a quick update and his camera didn't actually turn off. Another guy tested this in the shade but still in hot humid condition and never got the warning. He originally got the overheating error when he recorded 4k in direct sun light but never shut down

its shame but it seems par for the course for sony lately, as long as it doesn't do it whilst shooting photos I'm good. I don't do much 4k work

Wow, so the A99ii cant shoot at all apertures with AF in video, its limited to f3.5 wtf.

They all offer something fairly unique, a7rii, a9, a6500, xt2, gh5, em1 mk2, 1dx2 etc.
I have to agree, there is no winner or loser in the new breed of camera's we see today, imagine if all we had was manual focusing with a max ISO of 200! :D

I keep thinking about shooting at gigs with my Nikon at f4 with ISO 1600 film, that and there been a lot of glass half empty posts.

The banding and over-heating should be a concern for prospective buyers, Sony should have resolved heat related issues by now as they have had first hand experience previously. :D

Thats so crap lol!

Yea it is. such a shame but apparently all there A mounts do that?

Which just goes to show how good non FF bodies have come a long ;)

Not as good as FF ;)

one things for sure. there is no one camera or one system that does it all so if you are lucky to have the funds to buy multiple cameras, go for it.

I see many here keep chopping and changing. why not just have use both a sony and fuji or whichever? why u gotta choose?

The banding and over-heating should be a concern for prospective buyers, Sony should have resolved heat related issues by now as they have had first hand experience previously. :D

Dunno if you can see the thread at LL but they're saying the banding isn't noise and is more like lens flare as light is reflected off the PDAF pixels and only occurs in extreme back lit situations and has been an issue with previous cameras.

Correction... not backlit but when very bright light hits the sensor.

They're also saying it may not be an overheating problem but the warning indicator coming on too soon.

Last edited:
i saw the banding issues and i couldn't see it that well as a posed to the banding issues you use to get on the 5d3 when pushing the files.

It seems to happen when you shoot in direct sunlight and u see it when you push the files by more then 3 stops?

At face value i could not even see the banding issue they was talking about unless you really pixel peep above 100%

Dunno if you can see the thread at LL but they're saying the banding isn't noise and is more like lens flare as light is reflected off the PDAF pixels and only occurs in extreme back lit situations and has been an issue with previous cameras.
yea exactly what i just pointed out

I see many here keep chopping and changing. why not just have use both a sony and fuji or whichever? why u gotta choose?

Maybe not everyone has the funds or the wish to shoot multiple systems together? In the real world, very few people are willing/able to drop £4.5k on a new camera because of GAS and shiny button syndrome ;0)

Yeah but tbh theres more to a system than the size of its sensor, I love a FF sensor but tbh its not the whole story and not everyone needs or wants FF.

Come on @twist. How are you supposed to wave about an APS-C sensor or (horror) an M4/3rds? I mean, come on man, that's tiny so how on earth can you shoot anything other than point and shoot snaps of cats with those?

Might be worth posting your observations at LL.

You need to be a paid member for LL i think?

Maybe not everyone has the funds or the wish to shoot multiple systems together? In the real world, very few people are willing/able to drop £4.5k on a new camera because of GAS and shiny button syndrome ;0)

yea true but people taht keep chopping and changing seem like they are better off just owning both systems? i would have been the same in all honestly chopping and changing between sony and canon.

Yeah but tbh theres more to a system than the size of its sensor, I love a FF sensor but tbh its not the whole story and not everyone needs or wants FF.

Yea true i was actually interested in the OEM mk2 whatever its called as a sports camera but it doesnt do proper AF-C in its full FPS and is micro four thirds.

Yea true i was actually interested in the OEM mk2 whatever its called as a sports camera but it doesnt do proper AF-C in its full FPS and is micro four thirds.

Did you not realise it was Micro 4/3rds before you read up on its' AF-C functionality? Also, do you like the results that actual photographers get from the OMD instead of worrying about using the sensor size as a rod to beat a camera with?

Come on @twist. How are you supposed to wave about an APS-C sensor or (horror) an M4/3rds? I mean, come on man, that's tiny so how on earth can you shoot anything other than point and shoot snaps of cats with those?

Exactly, have you seen the colour noise those little sensors have at base iso?!

Techno-Cat-Coming-At-Ya.jpg

FF has the possible drawback of cost, bulk and weight. I shoot my MFT as if it's FF but applying the crop factor and good quality is possible unless I'm pixel peeping, printing very large or cropping like craze or shooting at very high ISO's and all I really lose is a bit of sharpness and some higher ISO quality.

I think part of the issue with smaller systems is people go out and use them as if they're shooting FF, I've seen people shooting MTF at f8-16 and wondering why their pictures are soft at 100%. Anything from MFT and APS-C should give good results especially if you work with the crop factor and use nice lenses.

FF has the possible drawback of cost, bulk and weight. I shoot my MFT as if it's FF but applying the crop factor and good quality is possible unless I'm pixel peeping, printing very large or cropping like craze or shooting at very high ISO's and all I really lose is a bit of sharpness and some higher ISO quality.

I think part of the issue with smaller systems is people go out and use them as if they're shooting FF, I've seen people shooting MTF at f8-16 and wondering why their pictures are soft at 100%. Anything from MFT and APS-C should give good results especially if you work with the crop factor and use nice lenses.

Yup, Ive seen some ridiculously sharp images from M43.

You need to be a paid member for LL i think?

I think you can access the forums without paying.

I've paid since they started charging as it's only £9-odd and there are a few articles a year I want to read and often there are good posts in the forums but there's a bit too much cliquiness and snobbery in the forums for me.

Yup, Ive seen some ridiculously sharp images from M43.

Considered a little m4/3 set up for every day/travel kit.
And then think perhaps I should use that money towards additional ff glass.

There's always the added bonus of it being acceptable to talk about m4/3 on this thread too. Mention the f word though and expect to get stoned.

Considered a little m4/3 set up for every day/travel kit.
And then think perhaps I should use that money towards additional ff glass.

There's always the added bonus of it being acceptable to talk about m4/3 on this thread too. Mention the f word though and expect to get stoned.

Well what do you expect? MFT is for people who like taking pictures. Fuji's are for people who like to fondle and pose. They deserve to be ridiculed.

PS.
I took this with my TZ100 which has a 1" sensor at ISO 1600 and boosted it post capture and it's better than I could have got from any of my film kit.

1-P1000277.jpg

Last edited:
In other news - had my first corrupt SD card yesterday, typically on the only trip I didn't bring a spare.

Image database file corrupted, assume this was SD-card related as opposed to the camera itself.
Haven't yet tried to recover the images.

In other news - had my first corrupt SD card yesterday, typically on the only trip I didn't bring a spare.

Image database file corrupted, assume this was SD-card related as opposed to the camera itself.
I've luckily never had SD corruptions on my Sony A7RII, so glad I have dual-SD slots now just for that added piece of mind.

Last edited:

This interesting as only recently i was wondering how many people had ever had a card fail.
I'm sure its card related and nothing to do with the camera

Yeah - aside from my 7D which took CF, all cameras I've owned have been SD and never had an issue.
I won't have lost much, if any, as backed up before going away. Was just irritating as didn't have a spare.

Back